Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread starting 2/6/12 >

7-Day Motivational Thread starting 2/6/12

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread starting 2/6/12

Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 AM
FitDay Member

Amy ... keep at it. You will win the clean house battle. Since mine were both about 10 I have heard from people that you wouldn't even know I had kids except for the video game consoles and games that are in the tv stand. I have just had a general rule that if you aren't using it, it should be in your room. Kind of harsh but their rooms are almost as clean as the rest of the house at this point.

Tori ... That is a definite "AWWWWwwwwww!" moment!

Darlene ... Hiking in the rain. Girl, I bow to you. I skipped mine because I didn't want my hair wet from snow flakes the other day. Then again it is curly and would have melted and turned into a huge mess for the rest of the day at work.

Mike ... I hope you get your bonus!

Thank you everyone for your continued encouragement! I called this morning to see how he was overnight and they said he was just fine. He slept through the night and must have calmed himself because he was not irritated or medicated (other than his usual meds). I am thinking for sure that he was just trying to get me to cave in. I hate to be that way, but I can't cave on this. I have my hubby, my other son, and myself to think of. As hard as it is for him to be there, it isn't safe for him to be at home right now. He could hurt himself, one of us, or just walk out and leave in the middle of the night. So for my sanity, I know he has to be there. I just wish it wasn't so hard. I do think if he tries that again tonight, I'm going to give him a chance to stop yelling at me and if he doesn't I will have to hang up. It just isn't productive. My hubby thinks if I hang up on him while he is acting like that a time or two that he will get the point that he can't disrespect me like that. ... One positive thing happened yesterday for this whole situation. The psychiatrist told me personally that I am doing everything that I can for my son. He appreciates my open, honest attitude and how willing I am for him to help my son. Now if only my son would see that and actually talk to this doctor instead of cursing him out and leaving when he tries to get him to open up.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

Health / Fitness
1. 100oz water daily M: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes, Th: Yes,
2. Limit one diet soda daily M: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes, Th: Yes,
3. No salt added to plate M: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes, Th: Yes,
4. Walk on lunch unless raining or working through it M: 35 min - 1-3/4miles, T: 40min - 2miles, W: Snowing like a blizzard, Th: 36min - 2miles,
5. Exercise 3 times during Weds-Sun W: 1hr 10min, Th: Day off, F: 1hr
6. 500 calorie daily deficit (3500 for the week) M: -1156, T: -1591, W: -1296, Th: -1069, Blue"]Week's Deficit -5112 .... Woohoo!![/COLOR]

Life Goals...
1. Take things one day at a time M: so far so good, T: had a good day, W: doing what I can, Th: Rough, but yes, it's all I can do,

Yesterday was great for my goals! I walked briskly because it was cold out and got in my 2 miles in 36 mins. Not too shabby for a fat chick! Food hasn't always been the most nutritious (had macaroni salad last night) but with portion control I am still getting a nice deficit every day. It is showing on the scale each morning.

Tomorrow night is our annual recognition dinner for work. I'm not sure what the menu will be but last year was ... in white Fillet mignon with grilled veggies and chicken breast on rice, salad with house dressing and very decadent cheesecake with strawberries & whipped cream. Fresh baked rolls and little butter pats shaped like the convention centers logo LOL ... My hubby refers to it as the 7 fork dinner. I hope to have earned the right to eat freely that night and get back to it on Sunday then without too much damage. They also have a cocktail hour before the dinner where there are tables of hors d'oeuvres and cheese trays and fruits and all the wine, cocktails, beers you can drink for free for an hour before getting seated for dinner. It is a very big to-do. We don't drink and hubby has to work both days this weekend so we are planning on sneaking in about half way through the cocktail hour to be there to mingle just a little before being seated. Standing is extra hard on him on work nights. It will be a nice break from life for a few hours.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Joanna, yes, "better than terrible" IS "a win." That's better than Martha Stewart's "GOOD things." Big hug to ya!

Quinn, we're all sending more cyberhugs to keep you in good supply. And you don't have to stick coins in vending machines to get them.

Terri, true story: it was in doing the dreaded schedule C one time when I was babysitting for a fee that I discovered I was actually LOSING money on taking care of a family of four children. I had kept receipts for educational materials, craft supplies, etc., but hadn't kept track of things like soap, bathroom tissue, snacks and meals that I was allowed to average. Too bad I waited until the end of the year to figure that! My lasagna was made with just Dreamfields ("low net effective carb") dried lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, lean ground beef, turkey sausage, Ragu light tomato and basil pasta sauce, mozarella and Parmesan cheeses and came in at only 10.3g net carbs per serving. Not bad but that one serving was 41% of my allowed net carbs for the entire day. But, ooh, was it worth it! Wow, hats off to you for taking that walk and being able to sort out your thoughts and feelings. That is really wonderful! Is that because walks make you feel temporarily totally liberated or something that you can think so clearly to sort things out?

Amy, I'm torn--I like the E10 Butterfinger AND the E1 Snickers bar. Aw, that is great that you have a buddy with similar parenting tactics. Helps a lot. I got really miffed yesterday when my 10 year old granddaughter's teacher had her call me because she left her homework on top my desk after I had told her twice to put it in her bookbag. I was cordial to my granddaughter and told her I was sorry, but that couldn't bring it to her. (I didn't tell her why, but I "couldn't" bring it because I didn't think it was in her best interest--this is a bad habit she needs to break.) The consequence was that she missed her recess which was fine and appropriate in her case, BUT what miffed me was that another child who forgot HIS homework did NOT get punished because his mother brought HIS homework up to the school. So what the teacher allowed my granddaughter to learn was that she got punished because an adult didn't bail her out of trouble. I came right out and told my granddaughter that she did deserve to miss recess for not having her homework, BUT she should have missed recess because SHE didn't bring it, not because her GRANDMA couldn't. I added that I hope when she's an adult she never punishes a child for something someone else did or did not do. Maybe that was not the right thing for me to say, but I think it's OK for children to know that sometimes adults don't always do what's right.

I gotta go for now. Gotta hunt for an auto part on the Internet.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:48 AM
FitDay Member

April I feel for you honey. This mom stuff is not easy. You are not alone in the "tough love" department, I had to lay it down with the eldest this morning, I was not the least bit nice, but it's for her own good. Some day she'll thank me, but um, it most definitely won't be today.

Good luck with your "7 fork" dinner, sounds like a decidedly "up-scale" event.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

April You are handling this situation with your son very well and I'm glad that the Dr is giving you positive feedback on that. Stay strong and try to really enjoy your night out with hubby, you sooo deserve it.

Tori Awwww on the email, isnt technology wonderful sometimes. Hope the choir didn't make you too soggy.

Im catching up on work at home this afternoon and then will settle in for a quiet evening with the cat. It's almost splishy splashy time.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Amy: Awwww, what a Mom moment for you!!! That must have been so lovely to read. It makes me wonder if my parents ever read stuff like that around my room, haha! I'm glad DH is home, that's always a great thing.

Mea: Dieting isn't necessarily fun, but support and the people on this board make doing this for ME worth it on the days that I can't root for myself. Seriously, I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't found this group, and I'm so glad you're taking inspiration here too, just like I did. Great job bouncing back after your "red" day!

April: Big group hugs back to you, and WTG on feeling it in your abs. I've been mulling over adding more abs to my own workouts because I feel like I don't work them enough. I work the heck out of my legs and butt, but it's my abs/belly that are really starting to bother me now. I'm sorry that you're going through so much emotional turmoil with your son, I can't imagine how hard that must be on you. I agree with his doc - you are doing the absolute best you can.

Darlene: The new puppy is going to give you lots of extra workouts!!!

Cassie: I was rolling on the floor at "chocolate is not a coping skill." I am going to stick that on the fridge!! Hahaha.

Pam: Not sure I have advice on the admin assistant other than to lead by example. Maybe if you make some healthy snacks, offer her some? Don't mention they're healthy or anything, see if she starts a conversation?

Tori: Wonderful about the e-mail from CN AND your weight! Wahoo!!

Mern: I think with me for the walks, it's a little bit of liberation, and I'm also just away from everything distracting. I'm not thinking about the next thing I have to do on my desk, and I'm away from all the little things I use to procrastinate during the day. There's nothing but me and the track that I know I have to go around four times. So I think it's just a simplicity thing. I think I also feel good that I am getting in "me" time at work. Lol, it's hard to know why it helps, but I'm going to try to make a habit of it. I don't walk too fast (I am in work clothes when I walk and don't want to work up a sweat) but even just making sure I move every day is, I hope, a step in the right direction for me. Your lasagna recipe sounds deeeeevine.

This thread has me debating whether I should attempt chicken pot pie or lasagna this weekend, lol. Thoughts?

Sorry if I missed anyone, you guys have been chatty!!!

Weekly Goals

Food/Exercise/Lifestyle Goals:

1) Keep calories between 1200 and 1500 daily. Week average around 1300. No single day over 1600. M: 1,335 T: 1,012 W: 1600 Th: 1,175 (Week Average: 1,280.5)
2) Exercise at least four times this week M: yes (small) T: No W: yes, twice! Th: Walk at lunch
3) Calorie deficit of 5000 M: -676 T: -797 W: -985 Th: -680 (Week Total: -3,136)
4) Protein 25-30% average for the week M: 29% T: 35% W: 25% Th: 28% (Week Average: 29%)
5) In bed by 11:30 every night M: yes T: No W: yes Th: yes
6) No more than 1 lunch and 1 dinner out M: No eating out T: No eating out W: No eating out Th: Lunch AND Dinner out
7) At least 64-80 oz. of water daily. More is better. M: 80 T: 72 W: 88 Th: 76
8) Weigh in on Monday and Friday and report the weight here M: 161.5 (Superbowl, you do bad things to me) F: 158.6

Other Life Goals:

1) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: yes T: yes W: yes Th: eeeehhh...
2) Don't sweat the small stuff M: yes T: Tried really hard W: Needed to regroup, but yes Th: Yes
3) Send in at least 5 job applications M: 2 T: 0 W: 0 Th: 0
4) Do something special for BF - he was a saint all this weekend. M: not yet - I need to come up with a good idea T: I have a V-day idea, but I want to do something non-V-day related. W: not yet, but I have an idea Th: Operation "Everything Favorite Ever" was planned and will be initiated Friday evening
5) Write something wonderful that happens every day M: Got my taxes done and am getting more refund than I thought. T: BF did the dishes IT'S A MIRACLE. W: Managed an unexpectedly choppy day yesterday. Th: I got through a very long day, lol

My weight this morning was the EXACT same as it was Wednesday. I was a little bummed, as I know I've been having a good week, but I'm just going to blame it on lunch at lab meeting (a slice of pizza + a breadstick and a half from Pizza Hut) plus unexpected dinner out, as BF fell asleep on the couch and didn't make dinner. He's not feeling 100%, he says he feels a cold coming on. I went to Chipotle for dinner, which I call "healthy" take out. It's certainly better than fries and a burger - I usually get a bowl of brown rice, black beans, chicken, fresh salsa, a little cheese and lettuce - but I'm fairly certain it's loaded with salt and that the calories on the website are underestimated (though I log it based on what the website says). I'm sure everything is canned, so canned black beans + canned tomatoes + salty rice = I probably had a lot of sodium yesterday. So, I'm probably just full of salt and I will keep on keepin' on. I am having a good green week this week, no reason to stop.

BF FINALLY got the call to come in and start at his new job - he'll be starting at 11:00 today. We'd been waiting on the call only to find out that the guy who was to train him took vacation days this week (nice coordination, guys!!) so that's why everything was delayed. The general manager of the store was nice enough to call him about it and explain himself, though, so he appreciated that he was being taken seriously. He's not feeling 100% and is nervous, so I think if I get home at a decent hour (which I should today) I am just going to have an "all about BF" night. I am going to make him one of his favorite dinners, I will watch boy movies with him on Netflix, I'm going to run out and buy his favorite chocolates (just a little thing of them, but he LOVES those Ferrero Rocher things) and in general wait on him hand and foot tonight.

I know V-day is next week and these are traditional V-day things to do, but we actually have a seperate set of Valentine's Day traditions that we do which are a little different, and I also think that I shouldn't have to wait for V-day just to do something nice. He's been so lovely lately and I want to celebrate him because of that, and not because I'm "supposed" to on a holiday.

Need to get three more job apps out today to get that off my list. Hopefully I will have time to work out tonight, but if not, I will definitely do a big one on Saturday morning. I hope everyone has a happy Friday

~Terri
Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
sounds like a decidedly "up-scale" event.
*snort*

C'mon, Joanna, climb back on with the rest of us. Some are doing really, really well, so don't mean to generalize. Is it me, though, or did it seem to take longer to snap back this time. SMH.

Mern, now I'm hungry for candy AND lasagne. Good thought on your part about the homework; you can never be too young to learn to be responsible.

April, I'm glad you got some validation from the doc that you're doing all you can. I'm thinking it could be that your son feels very threatened about opening up to anyone because oftentimes teenagers especially feel like if they start, they won't be able to close the floodgates afterward. If he has so much built up that it overflows in the concerning things you've seen, it's got to be pretty intimidating to think about letting someone probe at that. Which in turn leads to opposition and anger, because it effectively (usually) keeps others away. The good news is that he is in a very safe place and once he starts to let go and doesn't die, he'll be more likely to do so on a more regular basis. Hang in there! Easy to say, I know.

Terri, congrats again on BFs job. Happy Day! Great job this week!

So, finally had the mammogram today. My rant about that needs to go in white. It was horrible. But not to scare anyone off...go, if you can...have it done. This was my 4th one. The first 2 were done by older, nurturing, rotund-ish ladies, no problem, no discomfort. Last year was fair. It wasn't painful, but it didn't feel good. This time it was a young woman. She wasn't rushing or careless, but for some reason it brought tears to my eyes. The only thing I can think of was that I was 20 lbs. heavier for the first two, and it is no secret on this board that I am not well-endowed. So the discomfort was the plates and corners digging into my rib cage and underarms, because I had to push in in order to get what I've got onto the plate. But, glad I did it, and I will do it again, and encourage others to do so. If you're not a barely-A or AA, you should be fine .

Headed out to lunch with a friend from work for his birthday. I hope he picks a good restaurant for healthy choices!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
Amy, I'm torn--I like the E10 Butterfinger AND the E1 Snickers bar. Aw, that is great that you have a buddy with similar parenting tactics. Helps a lot. I got really miffed yesterday when my 10 year old granddaughter's teacher had her call me because she left her homework on top my desk after I had told her twice to put it in her bookbag. I was cordial to my granddaughter and told her I was sorry, but that couldn't bring it to her. (I didn't tell her why, but I "couldn't" bring it because I didn't think it was in her best interest--this is a bad habit she needs to break.) The consequence was that she missed her recess which was fine and appropriate in her case, BUT what miffed me was that another child who forgot HIS homework did NOT get punished because his mother brought HIS homework up to the school. So what the teacher allowed my granddaughter to learn was that she got punished because an adult didn't bail her out of trouble. I came right out and told my granddaughter that she did deserve to miss recess for not having her homework, BUT she should have missed recess because SHE didn't bring it, not because her GRANDMA couldn't. I added that I hope when she's an adult she never punishes a child for something someone else did or did not do. Maybe that was not the right thing for me to say, but I think it's OK for children to know that sometimes adults don't always do what's right.

I gotta go for now. Gotta hunt for an auto part on the Internet.
I was torn too, but not by the Butterfinger vs. Snickers, for me it's always Snickers vs. Reese's PB Cups. Ugh, I'm driving the struggle bus and talking candy bars. It does not help that I have to bake today. I've already made the peanut butter scootchies, but I've also got the ingredients for a batch of chocolate spritz sandwich cookies with raspberry cream. Oi. Our 4-H Club is having a bake sale tomorrow. The unspoken agreement is that if you cannot work the bake sale you must bring extra atonement goodies. We have 3 children in 4-H and an away swim meet tomorrow, the math is not in my favor.

I completely agree about the homework. Actually at our school, starting in 3rd grade they work on "responsibility". If your child forgets something they need for school, you are discouraged from taking it to them. If you take it in anyway, they generally hold it at the office until the end of the day, unless it's their lunch box, that's a little different. Even better if a child is missing any of the required 5 pieces of snow gear (hat, mittens, boots, coat, snowpants), they have to spend their recess standing next to "the wall". Same thing on gym day if they forget their tennis shoes. Middle DD forgets stuff all the time, so she occasionally has to spend recess on the wall. It is what it is. I wonder if she has her boots today?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Because I'm feeling lazy today . . .

I'm putting out my Friday Mission here on this board. It's simple, but I'm working on building up routine with Strength Training. It would be so easy just to let it slide. . .

FRI MISSION --> Strength Train: Lower Extremities and Abd/Back
Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

I think I need 11.5 in the next 8 weeks. I wrote another today. That's 2 for the week. Getting back to work. Later my lovely aardvarks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.