Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011 >

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011

Old 03-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hugs to your fur baby. Hope all is well. Thoughts and prayers for you and Chloe.

Yes, in retrospect, I should have worded that better. It's a habit; I don't even think about it...did one at my husband's work dinner that was a bit embarrassing. That's one thing about me that hasn't changed since middle school .
Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

thanks. Yeah I guess you talking about what Michael puts in his mouth is no worse that Mern talking about me sticking my head up my ass.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

yummy! YouTube - Healthy High-Protein Reese's Peanut Butter Cups Alternative this guy is always making/cooking some good stuff!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
FitDay Member

I think ‘CHOICE’ should be the word of the day. Thanks almeeker and Terri. Everything we do today will be by our own choice, because we choose to be healthy.

Mern – nah, it’s always oppressively humid in summer. Still, it’s better here than further north. Oh, how I wish for a dry heat . . . or winter. Winter would be good!
Hey, well done on coming in under your calorie goal yesterday!

Quinn – whenever anyone says anything negative to me, I simply convince myself they’re jealous of me. I mean, who wouldn’t be?
I can’t wait to be at maintenance. I’ve been at the ‘thank god that’s done with’ stage, too . . . and I’m back again. I really want my 16yo body back . . . can you believe that once upon a time, I thought my boobs sat too high?! Ha. Kids cured me of that delusion. I guess that also goes to show, tentatively on the weight journey issue, that you can be super slim and perfectly proportioned and still have hang-ups that just seem ridiculous to sensible people.
My mother and sister are insulin dependant diabetics, too. They’ve both had it since they were kids and they both use it as a reason why they can’t eat properly or exercise hard. Now my mother has had a bypass and is on a plethora of pharmaceuticals, it’s only added reasons for her. I can’t tell her that her current health problems are a result of her unhealthy lifestyle just as I can’t explain to my sister that she’s headed in the same direction (the female dynamics in my family are exorbitantly bitchy and I was never the favourite (except with my dad) because I’ve always been smaller than them – if that sounds pathetic, that’s precisely why I called it ‘bitchy’). I can only hope my sister can come to the realisation before it’s too late for her, and for my beautiful nieces, one of whom is six and is already obese. My sister used to (and probably still does) merely up her insulin dosage when she wants to have Maccas or Hungry Jacks. When she was a teenager, she put herself in a pseudo-coma while driving and ran her car off the road and into a ditch - she was okay, just frightened and very sick. When we got her out of the car (it was just up the road from our house), you literally could not open the door without fast food wrappers spilling out. She is currently suffering depression and is also on drugs for that. I just want to say to her – try going for a walk! Get your adrenal glands working again!

Cassie – good luck with the restaurant choices! Bet you can’t wait for your husband to come back tomorrow!

Terri – wow, what a clever spelling puppy! I can’t wait until we own our own house and can let our boys enjoy a dog. I would love a Malamute but it’d be cruel to keep such a huge, furry dog in these climes.
By the way, once you’ve got yourself through the next four workouts, you’re going to feel so proud of yourself!

Wildbeanerz – I put my foot in it all the time, so never fear. You’ve opened a line of discussion that has offered us all an opportunity to put forth our view, and you shouldn’t be sorry for that. I think we all knew you weren’t trying to be offensive to anyone.

Yunalee – what a great opportunity! So pleased your co-ordinator is going to help you out. And yes, it may not be the way you’d had it planned in your head, but trust me on this, sometimes life can pop up and surprise you. Perhaps you’ll meet someone important or influential or just plain friendly doing your internship this way that you wouldn’t have otherwise met.

Stacey – your plan sounds great. Let us know how it all goes.

Acameron – ah, never mind. Shopping orgies – well, they come and they go, but a wedding day is a one-of!

Almeeker – it’s the word ‘diet’. I believe the word ‘diet’ automatically brings to mind lettuce leaves for lunch, a small salad for dinner and constant hunger pains and many people don’t realise ‘diet’ just means ‘eating’, which is why we add healthy or unhealthy to it. I avoid the word ‘diet’ when I’m talking to anyone about my resolve, because I get rolled eyes, too (‘you don’t need to diet, you just need to eat properly’ . . . )

Mike – thinking of your baby girl. Hope everything comes out fine.

Last edited by behaze; 03-24-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM
FitDay Member

Quinn, thanks for the kudos on my calories yesterday.

It was my family's poor health that led me to be pro-active with my own heath and not rely on meds unless that is the only sensible alternative.

My Mom was on Pravachol for 12 years, a statin class medication for high cholesterol. After she died, I read that statin medication may be linked to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease. Mom had BOTH Parkinson's disease and an unlabeled form of dementia. She lived in hallucinations and terror the last two years of her life. Statin meds are not in my future.

Mom came from a large family--13 children. Many of her siblings lost toes, then feet, then legs due to diabetes; a couple went blind, a few had that painful foot nerve problem--diabetic neuropathy(?). Most took insulin and ate whatever they wanted. Not how I want to live...so for several years I've been managing my blood sugar through diet alone to help slow down or possibly prevent progression from pre-diabetes to full blown type II. My doc said it's possible I can, even with the heavy family history of diabetes.

My Dad and older sister both were heavy smokers and I watched them both die of cancer. After seeing how hard my sister's grandkids cried at her funeral, I decided I wanted to spend as many years as possible with my grandkids. So I finally got up the courage quit smoking.

A nurse I know said that her pharmacist said taking four or more prescription drugs almost certainly will cause some drug interactions. That scares me--both my younger siblings are on four or more prescription meds and they don't even bother to find out the potential side effects of the meds their on, much less do anything at all to enable the doc to reduce the dosage of any of their meds.

Best wishes to all of you in finding a way to flip the switch to enlighten your loved ones. I don't know how--or else I'd use it on my siblings.

Last edited by Mern; 03-24-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM
FitDay Member

bhaze, Ohio, USA, has awfully humid summers, too. Thanks for your kudos on my coming in under my calorie limit yesterday. I had ONE calorie left--you want it? LOL

Mike, you started the talk about where your head was. I couldn't leave that line alone, especially when the gals were talking about yoga positions. I took that as an invitation to make up my own jokes.

Michael, Mike and ANYONE ELSE TO WHOM IT APPLIES: Golly, don't ANYONE feel guilty about what you CAN eat without undoing all your hard work. Heck, I'd certainly eat an orange if I could and I'm not anywhere close to goal.

Choices--sometimes I don't like that word. But yes, almost everything I do, good or bad is my choice and not the fault of someone else or some circumstance. Certainly no one else is responsible for what I eat. If I give into temptation, it's my fault and mine alone.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:03 PM
FitDay Member

Mike, I will certainly keep Chloe in my prayers. Also sending her gentle cyberhugs.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM
FitDay Member

Mike, also, I can certainly understand how hard it must be to eat CLEAN on your cheat days--that's a lot of calories to balance healthfully, but I'll bet you can accomplish that with all your knowledge and experience. We're all rooting for ya!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, those chocolate peanut butter thingys look good. I've been wanting a way to use up the chocolate flavor protein powder I don't really care for. Wonder how calorically dense those little buggers are...and if it's possible to stop at one. I am a sucker for anything with oats in it.

behaze, sounds like you are very levelheaded in observing your family's issues. It's hard to watch sometimes and you want to help, but you know what they say about the horse and the water. Everyone in their own time. Even setting a good example as you are doing could be a catalyst one day for them.

Mern, thank you for sharing your background about your family. You are an amazingly determined woman and every time I get a glimpse of where that comes from it makes things make all the more sense. There is no teaching commons sense but you have it in spades. I'm glad you are using yours to take care of yourself. How many grandkids do you have, and what ages?

Well, The Boy picked Mexican tonight. We got fajitas for two. No way to really do a calorie count, but I had most of the shrimp and a couple bites of the chicken and steak, one tortilla, about 1/4 C. of rice, and the veggies. I had the waitress bring extra shredded lettuce and kind of made a salad. Oh, and chips...of course, the chips, but it was a victory to stop at one serving instead of inhaling like I usually do.

And for the rest of the day:

1. Balance calories in and calories out (ahem, by the numbers, Mike). Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
2. Drink 2-3 big blue bottles of water daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
3. Sleep 7 hours nightly (failed miserably at this last week). No 6.5, Almost-6.75, No-6.5, No-6.5
4. Exercise 5-6 days; 2-3 outside. Weights inside tonight, Tennis outside this morning, Treadmill inside-got too late, Took a day off today

5. One office organizational task per day. Yes, Yes-a biggie, Nope, Nope
6. Paint one room of trim IFF no tourney next weekend and/or work doesn't spill over into weekend.

Hope you all had a good day, and a good night

Last edited by cjohnson728; 03-24-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Monday is my cheat day so I need to keep it to +729cal or less. +679

Fitness & Health
1) 65g net carbs per day (again this week) no, it was my cheat day, 65.2g 44.7g, 60.7g
2) work out 3 times no yes no yes
3) 1000 pushups 166, 160, 140, 150
4) gallon of water a day yes 169oz, yes 128oz, yes 135.2oz, yes 135.2oz
5) multi vitamin (daily) yes, yes, yes, yes
6) fish oil (daily) yes, yes, yes, yes
7) -2400 for the week (including my cheat) +679 -952, -766, -492

Mern, thanks for the prayers and cyber hug. This is all a learning process, there is still so much that I need to learn about nutrition. I try to soak up as much as I can while filtering through what just doesn't make sense.

Cassie, I have no idea about the calories. I'll make them next week. If you make them before me, gimmie an update please.

I'll reply to everyone else tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.