Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011 >

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011

Old 03-24-2011, 11:06 AM
FitDay Member

Quin, you are so right that people want to see you fail. When I was at my heaviest and up until I hit about 160, I got encouragement from every quarter. Now I have people saying to me, "You're not still dieting are you?". Um, yes I am, till the day I die". I never bother to say that I have more to go, because I'm afraid people would stage an intervention and drag me off to a home for eating disorders. Which by the way I don't have and will never have, I love to eat and eat as often as my calorie budget allows.

A good friend of mine is a nutritionist, she's kept herself at a healthy weight for her entire adult life, her parents and her sister are all overweight (which might be why she's a nutritionist in the first place IDK). Anyway her mother is always on her to fatten up a little. My friend even got on the scale at her parents house in front of everyone that was giving her grief and then pulled out 6 different references to show them that she was smack dab in the middle of a healthy weight for her height. Afterward her mother made her a hot fudge sundae and pulled out a bag of potato chips.

Last edited by almeeker; 03-24-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Mern,

Congratulations on holding that calorie count under budget! Whew! I have a question for you and if you've answered it before, I apologize. But what tripped the switch for you to become healthy by natural means? Due to multiple drug allergies, I'm really holistic, too. The reason I ask is that I have a relative who is an insulin dependent, type II diabetic who still refuses to do anything for her health. She's overweight and uses diabetes as an excuse for why she can't diet. As long as she has a pill for cholesterol and a syringe for insulin, she's fine with it. We're so worried about her. We just don't know what to do anymore. Every year, the health issues keep multiplying. I know that she has to flip that switch herself, and that's why I'm curious. We're beyond worried and heading toward scared.
Are we related? I think I know this woman.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
FitDay Member

I have something to add on the topic of "Skinny people dieting vs. Fat people dieting". At 244 lbs. I would have said that there was no comparison and that there is no way a skinny person who needed to lose 5 lbs was the same as a person that weighed twice what they should. Now that I've been sitting at 30 pounds away from goal, and am struggling to find a way to get the scale moving downward, I know for a fact that those last few pounds are just as brutal (even more so) than the first few. So we really are all the same.

Not too long ago I ran into a woman I went to high school with. As far as I know she's always been thin. And she made a comment to me that took me by surprise. She was complaining that the holidays were over and it's time to go back to salad for lunch and sweet potatoes instead of mashed and she was going to have to give up white flour and white sugar until Thanksgiving at the very least. And I was like "Why?" And she gave me one of those looks and said that she had to work at it harder than just about everyone she knew given the family that she's from. And that's when I realized she is the only member of her family that is at a healthy weight.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Mike,

It is hard to settle on a "correct" weight. It's kind of like buying something on line and not knowing exactly what it's going to look like until you see it in person. Try 165 out for a month and see if it's easy for you to maintain... take it for a "test drive".

I get what you're saying about "the skinny guy" thing. My husband is 6'3" and got down to 180 and I hated it. He was at a healthy BMI of 22.5 but he looked like a cross between a string bean and a giraffe. Ask those around you that will give you an honest opinion. My mother told my husband that he looked "gaunt" and "old"!!! (You have to love 85 year old women!) Now that was honest! But it made him put a few pounds back on.
I totally hear you on this one. I totally do not have the same body I remember the last time I weighed this, and now I have flabby bits where I never did before, and nothing where I always had extra padding. It's weird, I guess I'm going to have to take Richard Simmon's advice () and get a full length mirror and chuck out the scale.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I totally hear you on this one. I totally do not have the same body I remember the last time I weighed this, and now I have flabby bits where I never did before, and nothing where I always had extra padding. It's weird, I guess I'm going to have to take Richard Simmon's advice () and get a full length mirror and chuck out the scale.
I know!!!! I wanted to reach 125 because that's where I was in my 20's and I thought it was a nice, comfortable weight. When I got there, I looked in the mirror and thought, wow, this is not as I remember it!!! I have a totally different body now, probably because I had a lot more muscle tone then... at least that's what I keep telling myself! LOL

Yeah, I wonder how many people reading our posts are going to stand naked in front of their mirrors before they go to bed tonight??? LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

almeeker & quinn, I don't have the same body either, I guess that's part of growing up [cough] getting old [/cough]. I think that my problem is I keep chasing down the last bit of flab, but I think this is a good weight for me.

I haven't posted my weight graph in a while. This is about 2.5 weeks in (March 7 - March 24). I think if I finish the week at 165-166 I'll change my diet. I did it as a test to myself, to see if I could do it for a week or longer. I'll be upping my calories to try to maintain (if I can mentally do it) and adding in carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta, etc. I'll keep a cheat day a week, but may stretch it to every 2 weeks depending on my calorie consumption.

This has been my biggest struggle and you ladies may or may not be able to relate. When I say "mentally do it", I mean it. Besides my cheat days, I have to get past the guilt of eating 2200-2500 calories a day. That a tough struggle to get past. In other words I have to be able to eat CLEAN at 2200-2500 cals/day. I still have in back of my head that I'm not where I'd like to be and that I don't want to go back to being fat (like I was)... but I have to draw the line somewhere.

With that being said, I'll be hanging around longer for support b/c I feel I may really need it to get over the guilt that I'll feel.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-24-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:37 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
With that being said, I'll be hanging around longer for support b/c I feel I may really need it to get over the guilt that I'll feel.
And I though I was the only person who feels guilt when eating. I got a does of this today when I went to eat my 9:00 snack. It was an orange. I had to stop after the first bite and reassure myself it was OK. What a screwed up brain!

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

yep, that's why I commented on you saying it was a mental thing just a minute ago.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, your graph looks excellent and you have a good plan.

Michael, oranges are not the road to ruin...take it easy on yourself; you're doing great...isn't it cool to actually be thinking about what you put in your mouth, though??

Last edited by cjohnson728; 03-24-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

cassie, you edited it before I could post... but I read it. I will ultimately go with a BF% and I have a goal % in mind, I just don't know if it's realistic for me.

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Michael, ...isn't it cool to actually be thinking about what you put in your mouth, though??
Maybe you should have edit this part. j/k

Back on the topic of weight and age. I took Chloe' to the vet today for her exam and they said that she's gained 6 pounds in 6 months. That's over 10% of her body weight... wait up, 6 pounds is almost what her sister Mystie weighs. She's older and lazy and her dumb dad hasn't taken her for any walks lately. I think next week I'll start making walking goals for her. She LOVES to walk but I just have to be careful with her joints. I need to start giving her glucosamine on a regular basis. She also has a spot on the top of her right hand (paw for the non dog lovers) that I'm going to have to end up having removed and tested for cancer. So ladies if y'all say a prayer tonight, mention Chloe's name to the man above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.