Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
The Holidays are OVER, NO MORE EXCUSES, Motivational Thread Starting 1/9/12 >

The Holidays are OVER, NO MORE EXCUSES, Motivational Thread Starting 1/9/12

Community
Notices

The Holidays are OVER, NO MORE EXCUSES, Motivational Thread Starting 1/9/12

Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

Mike I am sorry to hear about your struggles, I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:01 PM
FitDay Member

Hi having a very stressful couple days and if I see my post I will delete it
I have decided that I need to do some work on how I handle stress I had some potentially scary news on thursday from my dr and have spent the last two days saying things like: I am sure it will be fine, yes I am ok, well the tests will tell us for sure and I will deal with it as it comes,no I am not worried, yes I will stay positive .. all sound great coming out of my mouth. Now heres the problem what's going in my mouth cookies,chocolate mints, ice cream I even ate mcdonalds today which I have not eaten in over a year so now I feel sick and crappy and disappointed in my decisions so what exactly made me think that stuffing my face would make me feel better I am really confused by why food becomes what I try to sooth myself with I have loving friends and family, strong faith and people I can talk to so why would I rather eat a box of chocolates then just admit I am scared. Sorry to post this but I deleted it twice already and darn it I need to now if anyone else does this and what you have done to change this pattern. Advice is very welcome!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Darlene, thanks. Most people turn to food when stressed or upset. Look at the bright side, the McDonalds will probably keep you on the toilet and you may actually lose weight. I hope that everything turns out okay for you.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 01-14-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Darlene, I'm glad you went ahead and shared, even if you do end up deleting later. I think part of the reason a lot of us cope with stress by eating is because we are conditioned along the way that food is a reward, a comfort, a good-time thing...and when we're stressed, we are looking for something to make us feel good instead of bad. It may be that the foods you have been craving remind you, either consciously or unconsciously, of happier times, so you are drawn to them. Sometimes, too, when stressed, it's easy to get that "I don't care attitude," which spills over all too easily into other areas, like eating. I have been there many times and so have a bunch of people, so you are not alone, my friend. You did the absolute best thing you could do, which was to get on here and to get it out. Maybe next time you have the urge to eat something you know you're better off not having, try to think of another way you can pamper yourself, like maybe a hot bath, reading a really good book, renting a movie, spending time with someone you love to be with, or whatever floats your boat. Journaling is really good, too, either in the FitDay program or somewhere else. Good luck; I'll be thinking of you and hoping all turns out okay.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Cassie, I think the conditioning starts at an early age. Seems like any time a baby or young kid is crying everyone is quick to shove food in its mouth. Unfortunately not every time they cry they're hungry. I guess they learn quickly if they want to eat to cry. Maybe that's why so many kids throw a fit and start crying on the by the candy at the checkout of the store. probably not but it sounds good.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:52 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys I feel really yucky now so I am probably done eating tonight. I will commit to telling you guys what bad food I want to eat for the next couple days maybe that will stop me from stuffing my face. I do have a book I want to read so I will try putting that in my hands tomorrow. On a good note I have a 3rd interview on Tuesday so I really would like to not be suffering from carb headaches and mcdonalds belly aches. I do feel a little better just knowing that I can't hide in my chocolates because you guys all know I am cheating and I will try to log instead of eat. Thanks!!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, if you want to get technical, a lot of it is very much learned from an early age. What makes you feel better than being held by your mom, really, especially when things are going rotten for you? And the first times you were held by mom all those years ago, what were you doing a lot of that time? Eating. You may not remember it, but your brain does. I'm sure part of it is also chemical when sugar/fat/salt hit the brain and the gut; that's also very reinforcing. And addictive. I just finished reading (for the second time) a book called The End of Overeating by John Kessler. It's not a diet book, though the title sounds like it; it's more of a book on the psychology of eating and how a lot of different factors come together to make us eat more than we should and get "addicted" to foods that are bad for us. It's fascinating.

Hey, sorry about your Saints. I thought they were going to take it today. Wild ride there at the end!
Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck on your interview Tuesday.

Cassie, I agree that food is used for good times and bad. I can't think of a single party or "get together" that didn't have tons of food. I also can't think of a single wedding reception that didn't have food and I can't think of anytime after a funeral where food wasn't a big deal. Friends watch the football game together... there will be food.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the game was a wild ride. We had way too many turnovers. I couldn't believe that we almost won it. I don't think our 1st turnover should have been ruled a turnover. He no longer had forward progress, it looked to be the end of the play, the whistle should have been blown. It was bad b/c we were about to score but what made it worse was it was a hard helmet to helmet hit and you could tell he was knocked out cold b/c he went down limp. I think he's the one that was out for the remainder of the game b/c of a concussion.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Darlene, you've got a good plan. Keep checking in; we'll be here for you.

Mike, hope things are less tense on the home front.

Tori, sorry you had a less-than-optimal day. I hope your evening with CN has gone well and that you enjoy your day together tomorrow. While he's working out, jet on over to Kennesaw and you can freeze your @$$ off watching an 8AM tennis tournament with me .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.