Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
The Holidays are OVER, NO MORE EXCUSES, Motivational Thread Starting 1/9/12 >

The Holidays are OVER, NO MORE EXCUSES, Motivational Thread Starting 1/9/12

Community
Notices

The Holidays are OVER, NO MORE EXCUSES, Motivational Thread Starting 1/9/12

Old 01-12-2012, 09:18 PM
FitDay Member

I went to bed early at 10:30 last night looking forward to a long, refreshing sleep. Naturally after my brain noticed four hours had passed it said, "that's enough." I awoke at almost exactly 2:30 and was unable to get back to sleep. I just don't get it. I LOVE sleep, have plenty of TIME to sleep, but just don't NEED it unless I'm sick or physically exhausted. More than five hours of broken sleep otherwise is a rarity for me. So annoying!

Quinn, great to see you.

Mike, I hope things turn out the way you will be happiest. Big hug to ya.

Darlene, you've had pretty darned good reports this week. Congratulations.

Lizzie, I didn't know you ever got snow in Ireland. Yes, I think I'll keep my grandson now since he's doing his breakfast chores. LOL I searched quite a bit for low carb muesli muffins, but I did not find any that were low carb enough or adaptable enough to fit my eating plan to effectively manage my blood sugar without meds. Not that I never cheat, anyone can see from my reports that I do cave in sometimes, but I never bake cheats for myself. In my search, though, I did come across a couple other low carb muffin recipes using flaxmeal that I copied to my hard drive--one is supposed to taste like doughnuts (though many reviews said it was delicious but did NOT taste like doughnuts) and another was for a spice flax doughnut. You make chili in Ireland, too? Do you make it like we do with meat, tomatoes or tomato sauce, onion, (sometimes garlic and beans), and chilies or chili powder? I like mine kind of mild--too much heat from spices covers up the flavor of the dish for me.

Joanna, so sorry that you had such a sucky day again! Kudos to you for telling yourself "tomorrow's a fresh new day!"

Tori and Vito, in Ohio the shelves get cleared of milk and bread when snow is coming. Meat! Ten loaves of bread! LOL! Ohians suck at driving in the snow due to being in too big a hurry--our roads get paralyzed with stuck cars and fender-bender accidents in just a couple inches.

Tori, major congrats on your spectacular job on low calories all this week!

Cassie, that's great that you have fun memories of snow days when you were little "like a gift you didn't expect. " Wow, kudos on your excellent reports all this week. Your something wonderful post was so uplifting. You certainly deserved such a great day, the compliment, finding the files, the laughter...
Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
FitDay Member

Mern. Yes we get a lot of snow some winters, like last one when I thought my
christmas travel plans to Scotland and England were going to be shelved,
otherwise it's mostly rain, rain, rain.
The spice muffins sound good but I've never heard of flaxmeal. I'm getting a bit
bored of my one slice of wholewheat toast every morning, I feel a muffin coming
calling me. Sorry you didn't get much sleep, I hate not having my full
quota, it turns me into a real grumpy guts.
I'm in work at present, taking a quick break before tackling a spreadsheet and enjoying a cuppa. Have a good day.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
FitDay Member

Mern. Also meant to say that chilli is very popular here and yes we make it just like they do in Texas, with red kidney beans and tomatoes, garlic, chilli powder and onions. Served with rice and if you're feeling bad, crusty bread. Yum yum. I like mine hot just like my men lol.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizards13
Mern. Also meant to say that chilli is very popular here and yes we make it just like they do in Texas, with red kidney beans and tomatoes, garlic, chilli powder and onions. Served with rice and if you're feeling bad, crusty bread. Yum yum. I like mine hot just like my men lol.
I'm Irish and I love a good bowl of hot chili. Although I can't say that we serve it with rice and I don't normally put garlic in it. I usually serve it with a sprinkle of cheese over the top and a good sized chunk of corn bread, or maybe with quesadilla dippers! Oh yum, it's 7:00am and I'm already hungry for dinner. Only too bad for me because yesterday I thawed out a lamb shoulder roast.

Last edited by almeeker; 01-13-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 PM
FitDay Member

Thursday Report Card

Health Goals:

1. CALORIES 1,400 M-F, 1,600 SS! 1,440, 1,493, 1,426, 1,395
2. EXERCISE 7 HOURS! 110 min, 0 min, 105 min, 0 min (total 3:35)
3. WATER 100oz DAILY! Y,Y,75, 75
4. WEEKLY CALORIE DEFICIT 5,000! -1,083, -619, -928, -794 (total -3,426)
5. 10,000 STEPS ON THE PEDOMETER, 2,000 AEROBIC! 12,855-9400, 5,365-0, 21,018-11,363, 5,234-0
6. NO WHEAT 3 DAYS! N,N,Y,Y
7. LOG LOG LOG! Y,Y,Y,Y
8. WEIGH AND POST DAILY! 166.4, 165.4, 166.4, 165.8, 164.6

Other Goals:

1. Write Valentines letter. N,N,N,N
2. Finish 1 rabbit cage. Some. Some. N,N
3. Housekeeping, 45 min/daily + 1 load of laundry. YY,YY,NN,YY
4. Call doctor's office, straighten out meds. Y,Y DONE
5. Drop form off at the pediatricians office for school. N,N,N,N
6. Get gifts purchased and wrapped. N,N, Bought 2 1/2, Finished shopping,

Yesterday I did well with calories, not so much with exercise, I ached all over with the coming storm. However I feel that will be righted this afternoon as SNOWMAGEDEON has arrived, and I will have to shovel the sidewalk, all 98' of it. Ugh! Okay, we're not snowbound by any means, but we have maybe 4" of fresh snow on the ground. It's very sloppy out there and school is of course canceled. It's so strange here in Michigan, at the first sign of a flake they call off school, but nearly everyone has a vehicle that is safe to drive in these conditions and we all are halfway decent snow drivers. It's ridiculous really. Actually today I think they called it off, not for the snow on the ground but for the forecast, it's supposed to continue until midnight on Saturday. So the ride home tonight might be worse than this morning's commute. Also a lot of communities have been hard hit by the economy, so there isn't enough tax revenue to keep the plow drivers and salt trucks on the road for 2-3 days straight. I heard them this morning at 5:30, rather than 4:00am. Oh well, it is what it is. Happy snow day everyone!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Well it looks like after 8 years, my GF & I are headed to splitsville. I may post more and vent tomorrow.
I am so, so sorry. If you need to vent, you know where you can do it. I'll be thinking about you.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, I'm a little bummed that the GS has come 'round, I've always wanted a son lol, I'm glad you stuck to your guns with him, a lot of people will say "my child won't do this or that", which usually means "I wasn't firm enough and didn't make them do this or that", because kids in general are very adaptable. With a little consistency they usually get with the program in a matter of days, adults on the other hand, not so much. Could you share your mocha flaxseed meal recipe? Those sound really yummy. I'm sorry to hear that you aren't sleeping. I come from a long line of insomniacs, and the only thing that really helps me sleep consistently is exercise. So maybe double up your workout today and you'll sleep tonight? I dunno, everybody is a little different.

Mike, I'm really sorry to hear about you and the GF, we're here for you if/when you need to vent.

Joanna, ugh car problems are SUCKY. You poor thing, a little chocolate therapy is not the end of the world, after a day like that it was probably medicinal and did more good than harm eh? Good luck honey.

Lizards, I would get bored with a slice of toast for breakfast too. Can you get Greek yogurt in Ireland? I've found that to be a much better breakfast for me than toast (although I adore toast), Greek yogurt tastes great with fresh fruit added to it, so it can be quite different day to day. I also put other things in it depending on what I'm in the mood for or need, like TVP, flaxseed, low sugar jam, etc etc.

Cassie, enjoyed your blessing post very much, you gotta love a nice compliment, especially from a man that isn't required by the laws of matrimony to dish them out (although ones from the hubs are also very nice). A while ago I got a really nice compliment from a friend, repeating something her husband had said. It was actually really funny, but still very very nice to hear. Apparently catching me weeding the flower beds is a much improved view lol.

Darlene, did you get a callback yet on the job? Fingers crossed for you here, keep us posted and I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Tori awesome job on the calories this week, and have you taken the sweater back yet? I think you should skip that and just exchange it for a smaller one with the way your week is rounding out. I also think the next time you see CN you should just say out of the blue, "screw it, I need to check and see if this is as good as I remember" and plant him a big wet one lol.

quinn, sorry to hear about taking mom to that funeral, that sounds like a very sad and emotional experience for both of you. Hugs to you, and hopefully next week won't be quite so nutty for you.

The only things I've seen depleted at the store before a storm here in MI are milk, batteries and bottled water. Although I had quite a few people tell me early this week they had to go shopping before the storm, so the kids would have something to eat for lunch if there was a snow day. Our kids take a packed lunch most days, so we're covered. But alas we're not the least bit snowed-in, so we might hit Pizza Hut for lunch, the kids have coupons for free pizza.

Last edited by almeeker; 01-13-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:41 AM
FitDay Member

Lizzie, flax is a plant that bears seeds that are very rich in fiber, antioxidents, and the plant version of Omega-3. What I especially love about it is that it is zero net carb--a two tablespoon serving has four grams of total carbohydrates, all of which come from fiber, so it's zero net carb. A lot of people don't care for the taste of it, but I love it. I mostly use it for muffins, pancakes, or as hot or cold cereal. I get bored with the same stuff for breakfast, too. I've gotten to the point where I eat all sorts of stuff for breakfast now--leftover meat and/or veggies from dinner, or omelets made with zero cholesterol egg substitute, or a sliced turkey sandwich on half a low carb tortilla. My family thinks I'm crazy that I sometimes have dinner for breakfast. LOL Oh, you eat Texas style chili in Ireland--I didn't know that. My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Milligan--Irish and Scottish heritage on her father's side and German and Swiss on her mother's side. But she never cooked any Irish foods. She was a quite accomplished seamstress, but a totally horrible cook. LOL

Amy, congrats on all the green in your report! It was 20 degrees when I woke up this morning. I don't know how cold it got during the night, but I could hear the wind blowing all night long. We just got a light dusting of snow, but all the car doors on both my car and DH's were frozen shut this morning. DH finally got one of his rear passenger doors open and then climbed in and forced open the driver's door. But then he had to drive grandson to school one handed--with the other hand holding his door shut. By the time he got to school, though, the car heater had melted the ice so it stayed shut then. Ten year old granddaughter is home with a headache--so she says--she did have a headache last night at home, but she was smiling, laughing and joking with me in the living room one minute, and the next she was holding her head in the kitchen and telling grandpa she couldn't go to school because of a headache. I gave her the benefit of the doubt that the headache returned all of a sudden. I've gotten instant headaches from woodsmoke.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Well it looks like after 8 years, my GF & I are headed to splitsville. I may post more and vent tomorrow.
Ditto what Cassie said... Vent away- we're here for you.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!! Hope no one gets chased by a madman in a hockey mask today!!

Just wanted to do a quick check in because I probably won't have another chance to do so today.

Darlene-glad you are starting to feel better!

Cassie-awesome job on your goals so far this week. And WOOHOO, getting called beautiful by someone not obligated to do so is AWESOME!!

Mern-I'm not a very heavy sleeper either. 4 to 6 hours is all I really need. Anything more than that and I'm worthless.

Lizzie-your talk of chili is making me hungry. And as cold as it is today it would sure warm me up!!

Mike-sorry to hear of your GF troubles. Hope all works out for the best and your happiness.

Amy-good job on your all green Health Goals yesterday. Get on with your bad self!! I may have to try your trick on CN the next time I see him! Catch him off guard for once. Unfortunately it won't be this weekend, he couldn't get a pass so soon after having the holidays off. But I'm going down to see him next weekend....maybe then!

Gonna have to play carefully with my calories today, it's Girls' Night Out tonight to celebrate a friend's new job. Which means lots of tempting food and beer!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.