7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 8/22

Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Ang, thanks for finding that. I had just seen the commercial a couple times, I think on the Tennis Channel, of all places.

I think I get a glitch because of the juxtaposition of two thoughts in my head..."that's great" and "that's horrible." The former comes as a knee-jerk reaction because one of my soapboxes is how most women on television are impossibly thin and this, on the surface, seems to celebrate NOT being that way. But then the other reaction kicks in and I have the same thoughts you did...this is not just being a normal size or overweight; these ladies do look quite heavy and (though I have no way of knowing) potentially very unhealthy. So I can't decide if it speaks to a small step toward acceptance of people at any size or if it's turning a blind eye to the health and emotional problems experienced by very overweight people. Now that I've thought about it, it seems more like a vapid, voyeuristic way for reality-tv fans to get their grins. My suspicion is that people will be drawn to it like a train wreck but not get much of any "take away message" from it...although I admit that that conclusion is purely conjecture on my part and makes assumptions I don't know to be true.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:33 PM
FitDay Member

Cassie -- I adore you!!! And a Georgia girl -- me too! Grew up in Macon

Train wreck is right! I think I'll keep my train wreck watching to "Dance Moms". That said, I watch "Ruby" with a passion and cheer, love and worry and get aggravated with the lead character (a very obese woman who is trying desperately to lose the weight) all at the same time, but ultimately end up just adoring her and rooting for her. Maybe this will be the same!

ON another note. Posted this on my "things that get me ticked off about weight loss" and thought I'd share it here before I go meditate!

THese are things I LOVE about weight loss!!!
  • Arugula. Oh how I love thee, arugula, the bitter, pungent, flavorful zing you add to my salads to make them less boring!!!
  • Converting comfort foods to "loving foods" that still comfort while being healthful. Did that yesterday!!
  • Chalene Johnson (TURBO JAM) -- that woman is infectuous but not abnoxious!!! At first 10 lbs down, I will reward myself with more Chalene!!!
  • That virtous feeling you get when you have ACHIEVED YOUR GOALS!!!
  • How much better I sleep!
  • How much better my "morning constitutional" is (I know, gross, but you KNOW what I mean!!!)
  • Better dreams!

As I said over there, I can't WEIGHT until this list includes "SMALLER CLOTHES!!"

Take care all and peace, out.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Health Goals...
1. 80 oz water daily Yes,
2. 500 calorie deficit daily +726 , Weekly Total: +726
3. Walk 30 min on lunch unless it's raining Yes,
4. Min 30 min workout on hubby's work days N/A,
5. One diet soda daily limit Yes,

This weekend Goals...
1. Friday do all of housework, take boys for physicals & get Chloe spayed
2. Saturday prep bathroom for painting (remove border)
3. Saturday/Sunday paint bathroom (as long as I can buy the paint)
4. Weed that garden!!

I had to add a few notes to my goals and a few more goals that I had forgotten about like Chloe's spay appt on Friday and the boys' physicals that day as well. This weekend should be fun trying to keep a 21 month old VERY ACTIVE boxer girlie limited in her activity. This is going to mean keeping her on a leash even in the house for the first few days I think unless she is sore enough to not be a crazy nut. I doubt it though She is a crazy girl.

Mern...Good for your school on finally thinking about causing someone else a hardship and allowing your grandchildren to go to school closer to you. Great job on getting back out to the Y and WTG on taking the GD along! Love that she is seeing what you are working for.

Amy...I think we should group order that Tshirt! BTS shopping is no fun with boys, I can't imagine with girls. Ours is done though except new fall hoodies and winter coats but they can wait a little while.

Quinn...sounds like our weather. Was 78* yesterday and this morning when I came to work it was only 49*. Supposed to get to 82* today. I hope that your back heals up quickly. Sucks when you don't know what you did to set it off again.

Mike...that is too funny about your daughter taking the cake to school!! Wouldn't her teachers have liked to have some of that!

Cassie...looks like you are back on track! Good for you. Hopefully today is better for me. I have kind of planned for it. I think I just need to be more vigilant for a while. I got too relaxed!

Lizzy...good on getting that will sorted out. We haven't done anything like that yet. Actually just even got life insurance last year when I started my new job I could get life insurance with no medical history. My previous job denied me & hubby coverage due to our weight.

Rose...I probably would have been ill after a boat ride like that. And then to eat and drink on top of it...Oh no! Also I think I would have trouble in a country like that where they insist on your trying their drinks as I don't drink any alcohol at all...ever. Sorry to hear about an influention person in your home country passing on. Sounds like he knew his time was near with his final letter that he wrote and how inspirational are his words.

Ang...That show gives me mixed feelings too. I am proud of the women for not being ashamed of their bodies but I also think of the chubby chaser men that think being that large is sexy. Truth be told I am heavier than at least half of those women on that show. I don't honestly feel sexy except for with my hubby and that is because he loves what I have lost and what I am doing for us. Not because he loves that I have dimples on my butt cheeks. And in all honesty I don't think the way these women are dressed represents fashion to me. They seem pretty frumpy. Sorry. And that woman on the cover of Elle...I forget her name. Plus size? I don't think so. Unless she is airbrushed. Okay... little rant over.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Ang...I forgot to say...when you are losing your posts...copy them before hitting submit that way if it happens you can go back and just paste it in and hit submit. It happens to posts that take a long time to create. Almost all of mine since I post from work and start & stop several times while creating a post.

I love your things you love about weight loss and was actually going to put some in my post over there yesterday but didn't want to steal your thread. I may go add some back in.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizards13 View Post
Quinn. Oh yes I know exactly what you mean. My mum has never been known for her diplomacy and it is definitely getting worse. She is also now very hard of hearing so speaks much louder. I don't think she has ever meant to be hurtful on purpose but sometimes her "observations" sting a lot. I have posted on my thread way back, the wedding outfit debacle which ended in me leaving the shop telling the assistants that I was obviously some sort of freak with a huge body and tiny head, which didn't suit anything ( mum's helpful comments). She has also been very supportive to me over the years and I love her to bits. One of my strategies when she goes over and over the same problem ( it's cats in her garden at present) is to go to her bedroom, bury my head in her pillow and yell. We used to have a scream pillow in our staff room which you'd use if a patient was particularly trying.
YES!!! They get stuck on some insane issue for days! I told her that I would not be going over night Saturday as previously planned on Thursday afternoon. Friday she called and asked if I would be back by Monday... huh?? (Saturday I was gone a total of 12 hours.) Saturday, she called my nephew and told him that I was out of town and may not be back to take her to an appointment on Monday... again, what?? Then, she called several neighbors and told them that I was gone for "several nights" and wanted to know if they could take her to her appointment Monday if I didn't make it back. Again, I was out of town a total of 12 hours!!! It's a 10-15 minute drive from her house to mine and I usually spend it by calling my husband and complaining, screaming all by myself or with my stereo cranked. I'm in my 7th year of caring for her, but this year is by far the worst.

The scream pillow is a wonderful idea... although I may look silly driving down the road with it tied to my head!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 PM
FitDay Member

Well I woke up this morning after painting again last night and bam, down another pound! So happy since the scale has been stagnant for over a week due to me being sick and not working out. So finally in the 150's. Plan on having another good workout at lunch today and then running outside tomorrow.

My mom, who is almost 60 is finally starting to workout again. She is pretty heavy for her height and does not eat healthy. So swimming a few days a week is a start. I tried talking to her about her eating habits but I think it's a lost cause. All I know is that I don't want to be in her shoes at her age, nor at the age I am in now. So it's godo motivation to keep going.

Hope everyone is doing well for a Tuesday and let's continue strong until the end of the week!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec View Post
... although I may look silly driving down the road with it tied to my head!
The whole visual impairment thing notwithstanding...

You ladies deserve kudos for your patience. Karma being what it is, your kiddos will take good care of you in your later years as well .

My mom's current issue is politics. I love that she's still with it enough to care and process it all...but...wow. Just, wow. I never remember her uttering a single political comment the whole time I was growing up; now, she won't stop!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:21 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post

You ladies deserve kudos for your patience. Karma being what it is, your kiddos will take good care of you in your later years as well .

My mom's current issue is politics. I love that she's still with it enough to care and process it all...but...wow. Just, wow. I never remember her uttering a single political comment the whole time I was growing up; now, she won't stop!
YES!!! That too! She called me twice a day during the whole budget crisis thing worried about her Social Security check. I don't think she left CNN for a week straight. The funny part is that she doesn't even need the check but she was hell bent on whether it was going to arrive on time or not. Ugh...
Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 PM
FitDay Member

Brandismom, congrats on meeting your goals yesterday. Great way to start out the week! Thanks for being glad for my good luck in my grandkids to be allowed to attend a school closer to me since I will have to drive them. Someone else here was posting to get themselves to close the kitchen for the night before I was--it may have been Quinn or Almeeker. I'm glad it's helpful to you. I think it was Almeeker who taught me how to get in my water by dividing it evenly throughout the day. I learn so much from the caring people in this group. I enjoyed your post regarding things you love about weight loss.

Rose, glad you're back from Scotland. Aw, I was hoping you'd really enjoy the food there. OMG, the boat ride sounded just awful--glad you made it back safely.

Cassie and Brandismom, I haven't seen the ads for "Big Sexy" but I have known a few people personally and saw others on talk shows who had previously stated they were really happy and healthy despite their weight, but after losing weight they admitted they were neither happy or healthy when obese. I'm obese myself, so can't criticize them and I rarely talk about the embarrassment, heartaches and inconveniences I suffered due to that obesity. My eating lifestyle (in addition to heredity) had contributed to being pre-diabetic with high triglycerides and high cholesterol. I'm usually a pretty happy person, but I'll be way happier when I get my blood normal through diet and have an easier time finding clothes that look good on me!

Last edited by Mern; 08-23-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post

I'm not holding my breath... my kids have already told me that when I die, they are going to have me cremated and bury me in a margarine container to save money. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.