Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 8/22

Old 08-27-2011, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Well, that's not all I have to say about that. Some of you may know what I do for a living. You'd be surprised at how many people don't get life insurance b/c it's "too expensive" for them as a smoker. They'll go spend $4/pack and kill them self smoking and leave their "loved ones" high and dry with no money to bury them, pay the mortgage, pay the electric bill, buy food, send the kids to college, etc.

Trust me, your spouse does not look forward to the day that you die and leave them hanging. Think about it, would you want your spouse to try to put together a benefit or put up a coffee can with a sign about your passing just to raise the money to bury your sorry ass? If you're pathetic enough that it wouldn't bother you, what about the next month when the mortgage is due. You can only try to raise so much money to take care of something when the "responsible" party decided not to be responsible!

IMO it doesn't get much more selfish than that!

Okay, now I've shot from the hip. I feel much better. If I offended you with the truth, then good! Maybe you should look at your personal situation and think about what's going to your family when (NOT IF) you die!

BTW I don't know how the smoking conversation started, I haven't been able read much of this thread.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-27-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, well said and bravo to you for having the courage to tell it like it is on the smoking issue.

Yeah, I see those kids smoking and think, too, that they don't look cool--they look like children who THINK they look cool, but they don't to adults. Educated third graders understand that smoking is a death sentence.

I know your pain. My dad died of cancer, too. And yes, it is a slow, painful death. He died before they had "chasers" or "boosters" for morphine and I remember hearing him loudly moaning with pain most days before we even got his hospital room.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, seeing a loved one die of cancer is heart wrenching. I don't know why people would intentionally put themselves in that situation these days.

I love the "Well you're going to die from SOMETHING." line that smokers always use. Go to the oncology ward at your local hospital and see all the people that are dieing from cancer, then come back and tell me that. Have you even heard someone say "Safe sex, nah, you're going to die of something." "Sharing a needle to shoot drugs is cool, you're going to die of something"? Probably not.

Another thing that kills me is the nerve of smokers. I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard a smoker walk up to another smoker, and even up to me and say "Can I bum a cigarette?". They act like it's no big deal. I've never walked up to someone at the pump and said "Can I bum a gallon of gas?" or someone at a restaurant and said "Can I bum your dessert?" I mean really, what gives them the right to try to BUM a cigarette? Get a job that supports your habit and quit being a effing bum you loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-27-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all the birthday wishes everyone. Was off from work and my hubby set me up with an appointment for a great massage. So it was a nice day. Also down another half pound so happy about that. Slowly but surely I will get there again.

Congrats Mern and Mike on the hard work!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Yeah, seeing a loved one die of cancer is heart wrenching. I don't know why people would intentionally put themselves in that situation these days.
Yep, this is the third family member that I have done long term hospice care for. (Grandmother, father and now, my mom.) I've already told my husband that when his parents need care, look elsewhere, because after this, I am done!

On a brighter note, I just got back from taking all of my "fat clothes" to Goodwill. YES!!! After almost a year and a half of successful maintenance, I finally feel safe in doing so... and I'm too cheap to buy new, if I do gain weight! lol So it looks like I better keep it off!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

I smoked a pack and a half a day for a long time and I gained 45 lbs. when I quit smoking. But I didn't HAVE to gain that much. Yes, metabolism does slow down somewhat when you quit smoking but I could have dieted and exercised to make up for that. I could also have sought advice on what foods to eat to help speed up metabolism, but I didn't.

My mom suffered great financial hardship when Dad died. Had a little life insurance, but the hospital bills were way more than the health insurance covered.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

Ann, I'm so glad you had such a nice birthday. A massage is such a thoughtful gift! Wow, nice hubby! Woohoo--congrats on losing another pound! And thanks for your encouragement--much appreciatged!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:53 AM
FitDay Member

Quinn, I hope this is your last hospice duty. You've paid your dues--time for someone else to take a turn next time around.

OMG, congrats on getting rid of all your fat clothes. A year and a half of maintenance is really something to be proud of, girl! Congratulations!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mern
I smoked a pack and a half a day for a long time and I gained 45 lbs. when I quit smoking. But I didn't HAVE to gain that much. Yes, metabolism does slow down somewhat when you quit smoking but I could have dieted and exercised to make up for that. I could also have sought advice on what foods to eat to help speed up metabolism, but I didn't.
Does metabolism slow down or is it the habit of having something in your mouth all the time? I'd bet that 99% of people that quit smoking and gain weight, eat more. Everyone I know that quit and gained weight was constantly snacking. If it does slow metabolism, maybe it's a combination of both?

Ann, congrats on your loss, you will get there again!

Quinn, congrats on dropping off the clothes and being too cheap to gain the weight back.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah, it's both. I've read that smoking makes the heart beat faster, so a smoker's metabolism is higher, burning more calories than non-smokers. When they stop smoking, their metabolism slows to normal--to that of a non-smoker.

I also read that most smokers spend less time snacking than non-smokers so when they quit they're eating more than their body is accustomed to burning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.