Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011 >

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011

Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 AM
FitDay Member

Mike it's 0 days snice i had New York Fries for lunch, but i looked up the cals and that before i had it and it was only 625 cals for what i ate. and i'm still under 1000 cals so far for today, just means i need a light super.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

yunalee, c'mon, stick to your guns. You can do it!

Cassie, I made them! They are good but I'd say it tastes more like a brownie and a Reese's PB Cup. I didn't have chocolate whey so I used my casein. My casein usually mixes very thick so I had to increase the skim milk to 3/4 cup. I got 17 cups per batch and it was very good.

Next time I'm going to run the oatmeal through the blender to make it into a powder, mix everything but the peanut butter. When I shape them I'll put a thumbprint on the top and fill the indention with peanut butter.

I had to use my photoshop skillz to put the pie chart in with the nutrition facts.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM
FitDay Member

cassie ~ that dip thing you could combine a brushetta & spinach dip & make a custom food..i don't know. headache is slowly getting better thank goodness.

just fyi i love richard simmons & would have so much fun if he showed up in my mirror...lol.

help i'm not enjoying my food at the moment. my plan calls for no extra salt, no sugar, nothing processed & i'm okay with that. i like the idea of eating real food that i cook & prepare. i do however need some quick things at times so boiled eggs & no salt added tuna is great for me. except it leaves me wanting more for lack of a better word. that's what i've discovered doing journal entries yesterday & today. i'm missing more of a comfort/savory type food. so tonight i'm going to make myself hot & sour chinese soup from scratch, along with loads of veggies & some rice. hopefully that will satisfy the comfort food craving i'm having.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

stacey, can you use Mrs. Dash or a salt substitute like Mortons?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie,

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I just read about your graham cracker experience. When I do thin, stubborn pastry, I roll it between 2 sheets of parchment paper, remove the top layer and bake it right on the bottom one.

Cool idea... I might have to try it this weekend. Love my graham crackers!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, ladies, for the ideas on logging. Those are all good ideas. I'm probably not food savvy enough to know what was in it other than what the waiter said. I just know it probably had a good bit of fat, minimal protein, and carbs from the bread triangles dipped into it. My thought was to balance it out by having a salad with chicken as the entree and will try to focus on lower fat and carbs tonight (easier said than done, since hubby is on his way back home from being gone all week and I'm making his favorite chicken pot pie, albeit a lighter version).

Mike, thanks for being the guinea pig on the choc/pb cups and for your suggestions. I'll probably do them next time the boy is in a tourney for a good after match snack.

Stacey, would this be a good time to try things maybe that you've never had before? I know you keep talking about snow, but do you have any fruits coming into season? Do you eat quinoa? It's a nice change from rice sometimes and with some raisins and almonds in it, it's quite satisfying (but not quick). Might be a time to experiment with new recipes, or tweaking some others to see if you can get them to fit the bill. I'm sorry...it stinks to be bored with food.

Thanks, Quinn, for the advice. I had thought of putting the parchment on the cookie sheet but not of having a sheet of parchment on top. When I do thin dough I usually use a pastry cloth and a sleeve on my rolling pin, and I can get it so thin you can read through it, so I may try that, too, and just see what way works best. The good news is that the taste was awesome and my son has been grabbing them all week for snacks. We are in for a stormy weekend here, so I think I will be baking a bit (it's a great way to avoid other chores ).

Well, here we go. Last weekend I was good for a change. This weekend I can be good, too!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

Update on the M&Ms – they were gone by the end of the night. BUT! He saved about ten or twelve of them to give to his dad when he came home from work. How sweet is that?! So we saved him a bunch of Maltesers and gave those to him this morning.

MollySue – I hope you get some time this week to do your dissertation.

Quinn – my mother is definitely a victim. And because I legitimately procured my psychiatry degree from the back of a Cornflakes box, I feel confident saying she also has a mild case of Munchausens by Proxy – she’ll create illnesses to get sympathy, but no, she won’t push her kids down a flight of stairs or anything drastic as that. She feeds off any sympathy she can get. Now I avoid calling her because the conversation is always about medications, who is seeing what doctor, what new is wrong with everyone . . . it’s exhausting. In the last four phone conversations we’ve had, she’s not asked once anything about her grandsons, so I now no longer volunteer information and merely call her only on special occasions.
My partner’s family is huge and close-knit, too, and they’ve gathered me under their wings. I may possibly have the best MIL ever, and we’re quite social with my partner’s sisters and their respective partners. That’s great about your hubby’s grandma! She obviously wanted her grandson to end up with a woman with a backbone, so good on you for impressing her and making it all easy.
Oh, and hell yes! I’m more than happy to trade our weather! Although this morning was delightfully chilly, it’s now only 9am and it’s already steaming up.

Terri – awesome! I’m so glad you did your exercise. What’s on for today?

Mike – P90X is still keeping on! I’m still using the chair for the pull-ups, but I can feel I’m supporting much less weight with my leg, so maybe by phase 2 I’ll be able to do at least one unassisted? That’s going to be my little mini fitness-goal in a couple of weeks. I’m thinking of swapping the legs/back and the Kenpo workouts. Weight training is actually far more enjoyable than cardio. I used to love cardio. Now I actually look forward to the push-ups and the resistance bands work. And yes, I am definitely seeing results, which is keeping us motivated to get it finished. Oh, and yesterday was the first time I finished the Ab Ripper with all 349 moves! Before that, I could get up to everything but the final ten ‘bonus’ Mason Twists . . . yesterday, I sucked it up and just finished it.
By the way, I watched that peanut butter and chocolate video and started salivating. I am going to pick up some 100% peanut butter today.

Cassie – you and me both for getting through this weekend well-behaved. I have vowed not to allow any alcohol to pass my lips this weekend, and last night was a success . . . one night to go! We can do it!

Okay, so I have discovered a sudden challenge in controlling my desire to snack when I know I’m not hungry. I know we’ve all been through this. I am going to adopt Stacey’s new resolution and see how that works for me, seeing as it’s working for you, Stacey.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by behaze
Mike – P90X is still keeping on! I’m still using the chair for the pull-ups, but I can feel I’m supporting much less weight with my leg, so maybe by phase 2 I’ll be able to do at least one unassisted? That’s going to be my little mini fitness-goal in a couple of weeks. I’m thinking of swapping the legs/back and the Kenpo workouts. Weight training is actually far more enjoyable than cardio. I used to love cardio. Now I actually look forward to the push-ups and the resistance bands work. And yes, I am definitely seeing results, which is keeping us motivated to get it finished. Oh, and yesterday was the first time I finished the Ab Ripper with all 349 moves! Before that, I could get up to everything but the final ten ‘bonus’ Mason Twists . . . yesterday, I sucked it up and just finished it.
By the way, I watched that peanut butter and chocolate video and started salivating. I am going to pick up some 100% peanut butter today.
So are you going to do legs & back on the Kenpo day and vise versa? The leg routine always drained me. I felt like I was going to get sick so many times. If you are barely using the chair you may be able to do an unassisted pullup SOON. I think most females (well many males too) struggle with pullups I believe I threw away my original log sheets but I don't think I was doing many when I 1st started, maybe a 5 or so, I don't remember. Now I can blast through 15-20 of them, so it does work. Stick with it, you'll be knocking them out like crazy. Ab Ripper is a tough one, it's good that you sucked it up and finished it. I often had to pause it, just like many of the other discs but I always made sure I finished them... even if it took forever. What I ended up doing was Ab Ripper first then the workout later in the day. I found that I was usually too tired to do it right, right after a workout. How are you liking Yoga? Have you tried crane yet? When I was finally able to do it (even for a few seconds) I was so damn excited. I felt like I was finally getting somewhere.

I know I whore out Naturally more peanut butter but if you have a Walmart or Sam's Club close by you ought to pick some up. I think Cassie has a brand that she also recommends.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

I got back from the gym and felt like I needed some carbs so I ate 1 slice of cold ass pizza. My internet was down for a few mins so I couldn't check the carbs but I was okay with going over. When I was able to get online I saw that that one damn slice was 33g of carbs!! For that many carbs I should have eaten that bitch when it was hot, cold pizza is not worth 33g of carbs. Oh well, I did enjoy it.

Monday is my cheat day so I need to keep it to +729cal or less. +679

Fitness & Health
1) 65g net carbs per day (again this week) no, it was my cheat day, 65.2g 44.7g, 60.7g, 92.5g
2) work out 3 times no yes no yes yes
3) 1000 pushups 166, 160, 140, 150, 111 (727 down, I need to average about 137 a day for the next 2 days, I may actually be able to pull this off))
4) gallon of water a day yes 169oz, yes 128oz, yes 135.2oz, yes 135.2oz, yes 135.2oz
5) multi vitamin (daily) yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
6) fish oil (daily) yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
7) -2400 for the week (including my cheat) +679 -952, -766, -492, -679 (wow, it cancels out my cheat ) (-2210 and two days to go)

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-25-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:14 PM
FitDay Member

Cassie, you are so sweet. Next time someone calls me stubborn I'll say, "No, I'm 'amazingly determined' and that is a professional opinion." LOL We have 7 grandkids altogether. From DH's two oldest sons we have 24 and 25 year old boys and a 22 year old girl. From our daughter girls ages 16, 15, 9 and an almost 7 year old boy. They're all great kids. Great job on the Mexican food! The extra lettuce was a very smart move. I make bunless sandwiches at restaurants into chef salads. I'm glad to see you take a day off exercise. I'm not an expert in exercise by any stretch of the imagination, but personally I find taking a day off per week necessary to prevent burn-out. On the issue of the accountability post, I spent about an hour last week trying to find the nutrition info on bunless Ultimate Sicilian chicken sandwich at TGI Fridays. I couldn't come up with anything close, either. So I just went to Fitday and tried to guess what was in it and tried to err on the side of overstating calories and carbs. But then yesterday I knew I was pretty well on track and didn't finish logging or doing my accountability post. Didn't today, either. I think sometimes just posting in words that you ate something different, but tried to use moderation is in order. So I offer you a big "WAY TO GO" on posting in words instead of in numbers when you need to. LOL on being creeped out by Richard Simmons in your mirror or the Burger King in someone's bed. I'd prefer Mr. Clean in my kitchen--scrubbing my floor. Also, thanks for your post on Quinn's questions about her relative. That is so cool that your Mom quit smoking at age 77! But yes, it has to be on the person's own timetable. Before I quit smoking, the more people nagged me about it, the more I craved my next smoke.

Mike, you're welcome for the prayers and cyberhug. One of the great things about life is the potential to keep learning. It would be a boring world if we already had all the answers. I love how you put that: "I try to soak up as much as I can while filtering through what just doesn't make sense." Sorry 'bout your cold a$$ pizza carbs. Been there, done that with things other than pizza. I was really aggravated this afternoon at a buffet restaurant. I did really great on my meal--I can eyeball portion sizes and am used to their Friday buffet menu--everything I ate was very low carb--roasted chicken, baked unbreaded fish, cooked mushrooms, green beans, and about 1/3 cup cottage cheese. The aggravation was that there was nothing at all low carb on the dessert table I could eat--not even sugar free jello. Their sugar free chocolate pudding has 26g carbs per half cup, sugar free cookies 17g carbs each--and my limit for the whole day is only 25g. I almost gave in and cheated but then talked myself out of it--went back to the salad bar and got myself one puny piece of cantaloupe (about 1 1/2 inches square) that was not very ripe and not very sweet--tasted sort of like the white part of water melon rind. Next time we go I'm going to take a piece of sugar free candy or some pork rinds dusted with cinnamon to enjoy with my decaf coffee.

bhaze, great job on your goals. LOL about the Christmas boxes. Oh, that's so nice to have a weekend of total relaxation free from all responsibilities except for the children. Enjoy the movies and the Wii! Sometimes those labels give us a jolt when we see how small a serving is. I'm impressed with your son's comment about saving the M&Ms for next time he has a craving! My seven year old grandson would eat a whole pound (454 grams) in one sitting if he was allowed.

April (Wildbeanerz) I know of another person who was diagnosed as diabetic and when she got off just the soda her doctor found her future blood sugar readings to be normal. Shows there's good reason to find out FIRST how much sugar/carbs the body can process WITHOUT meds before putting a patient ON meds. I'm in favor of meds if needed--sometimes patients do their best and still need help from meds. But the "see a symptom, prescribe a pill" attitude is just plain wrong in my book. On the estrangement issue, my heart goes out to you. I know the pain. I talked to a clergyman about my situation (my mother and I) and he told me I was OK as long as I left my heart open to reconciliation if it ever became possible. And I was so lucky that eventually the reconciliation came about-- eleven years later. Large chunk of time lost, large chunk of love lost. But Mom and I had four good years before her dementia took her away from reality. Sorry about your mother-in-law's health situation. I guess just about everyone has at least one family member like that--so sad. At least MIL helps with cub scouts--more than a lot of people do.

Oh, Quinn. I'm so sorry! Sadly, I know exactly what you're saying. I had composed a post on that subject about how my Mom acted like that, too, and punctuated it with "Maybe Cassie can shed some light on this issue." But then when I scrolled up I found her post to you. I can attribute part of my Mom's actions to feeling like a victim, but she also used her illness to garner attention from people she had alienated in the past. I knew that before I read Cassie's post. I'm sure depression played a part before she was diagnosed with dementia, too. " I can't diet because I'm a diabetic." Wow, I never heard that one before! Now if that doesn't scream "I'm a victim" I don't know what does. Best wishes--I hope some of Cassie's suggestions help you with your relative. Wow, I loved that story of how you won over the 90+ Italian matriarch! That would make a good TV movie!

Terri, thanks for your kudos on my exercise. I wish the example of my controlling my pre-diabetes with diet had some impact on my siblings to at least follow their doctor's prescribed diet, but it just falls on deaf ears. My sister takes pills and her doctor still hollers her blood sugar is sky high. I get "Yeah, you can do it, but it's too hard for me" or "I don't want to give up the foods I like," or just "I'd rather just take the pills." I can imagine it's very hard after losing a large amount of weight to get into the maintenance mode after struggling so hard to stay in the losing mode. This group is a great place to be to gather and digest tips on how to graduate successfully to maintanance. We have a lot of shining examples!

Stacey, hi--glad you're feeling better. Just a pick axe pain--holy cow! I'm glad your son's migraine episodes are fewer after seeing a chiropractor. Wow, so cool that writing in your notebook is helping you eat more healthfully! Way to go! I hope you find a way to work some yummy foods into your strict diet. I'll bet you'll do it.

Almeeker, way to go at Chuck E. Cheese. Aw, I hope you make it through your carb cravings. Kudos on using Laughing Cow cheese and hard boiled eggs to curb the cravings--aw, sorry it just took the edge off. Best wishes on that. I'm so glad AF doesn't visit me anymore. So she was YOUR aunt, huh? Thanks heaps. LOL

Mai, my mirror would crack if I looked at myself naked in it. LOL

Last edited by Mern; 03-25-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.