Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 1/31/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 1/31/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 1/31/11

Old 02-01-2011, 02:21 PM
FitDay Member

End of Tuesday Progress

1. Drink more water - at least 3 Bottles of water from the Gatorade bottle (32 fl oz) = Total of 96 oz total. Day 1.YES/ 2. Yep and then some.
2. Stick to 1,300 Calories or less. (This is easier to do at work, 10 hours of my day) Day 1. YES, not sure about day 2./ 2. =( No went 360 over.
3. Don't go overboard with Calories at home- use portion control. Kinda..It doesn't help when my boyfriend cooks awesome meals =(/ 2. Today wasn't good.
4. NO CAFFEINE - Mostly Mt. Dew 1. YEP/2. YEP
5. Do more walking around the house in my Shape Ups. 1.YEP! 2. Went to the mall today for a bit/
6. Go easy on Chocolates - mostly Reese's. YES. None so far! =)/ 2. None today/
7. Eat my daily servings of Fruits and Veggies. Meh, could have done better/ Did terrible today but I need to get paid then I can go buy some

Work, Home, Life:
1. Clean the house, or bathroom at least. Not yet/
Living with room mates, this is the hardest to accomplish because most of the mess is theirs, but it has been bugging me for forever!
2. Plan a good Valentine's with the Boyfriend on a limited budget- under $20. Working on it/
3. Fold and properly put laundry away. Nope/
4. Keep track of Calories on the Weekends
5. Go to College office and transfer/ put hold on loans. 1. Oh yea../ 2. Well they're closed tomorrow so nope
Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 PM
FitDay Member

Crazy snow storm and winds here too! I ran 6 miles on Sat and felt great. Ran 3 mi on Sun and felt terrible and now my lower back aches and my left foot feels plantar-fascitis-y. And my daughter has a cold again, which means I'll get sick again too! Phooey!

Goals:
1) Buy some better daily work shoes so my back and foot don't hurt so much
2) Work on taxes
Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6

My problem is that I'm 'scale obsessed' and I hate it. I weight myself daily, sometimes several times a day. Your .4# gain you should ignore. I, myself, need to quit worring about what the scale says. IT WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS! Next week I can make a goal of weighing myself only twice, boy that would be a tough one.
I'm the same way- if there is a scale around. I guess it's a good thing my boyfriend and I have yet to invest in one, even though I want to so bad but I know I would probably weigh myself every minute. My boyfriend already rolls his eyes every time I say "I can't have that because I'm close to my calorie limit" =p He will understand after Superbowl when he joins me in counting calories.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rubypeanut
Crazy snow storm and winds here too! I ran 6 miles on Sat and felt great. Ran 3 mi on Sun and felt terrible and now my lower back aches and my left foot feels plantar-fascitis-y. And my daughter has a cold again, which means I'll get sick again too! Phooey!

Goals:
1) Buy some better daily work shoes so my back and foot don't hurt so much
2) Work on taxes
Yea we are getting dumped here too in Michigan, but from where I am it doesn't look too bad but I get off work after Midnight then need to run to the store for some buns and other foods in case our power goes out, which I hope it doesn't. Good ole Michigan lives up to its name.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM
FitDay Member

Just a quick note before I go to bed.

About weighing...

Remember that when you weigh after you've had food and liquids, you're also weighing food and liquid that will be eliminated later in the bathroom. I believe a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. That's 2 lbs. per quart. Drinking a 16 oz. bottle of water will add a whole pound to your scale number.

Best to weigh:
-- only once per day at the most
-- naked, if possible
-- at the same time of day
-- on an empty stomach
--and pardon me, but I have to say it--with empty bladder and bowels if possible.

Weighing just once or twice per week is even better.

Best wishes to those of you struggling with your scales.

Last edited by Mern; 02-01-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Reporting for Tuesday (is it only Tuesday?):

1. Calorie deficit of 250-300, because I keep slipping and can't get back to my pre-holiday weight/body fat % Yes, Yes
2. Balance the pie chart. Yes, Yes
3. Do something different for exercise at least one day. No, No
4. Sleep at least seven hours a night. Yes, Yes
5. Get in three of my water bottles daily (I'm pretty regular about 2) Yes, Yes

6. One organizational office task per day (at least a small one) Yes, Yes-a teeny tiny one
7. Paint trim in another room Worked on stairs & spindles
8. Try a new healthy recipe or make over an old one. No, looking like Thursday Yes

Tonight I had to use chicken breasts; I'm getting tired of the same things I always do. I found a recipe for chicken with dumplings that I never even used to make when we didn't care about nutrition and lightened it up considerably. It turned out great! Next time I'll do the dumplings with whole wheat pastry flour, but most of the dish was the chicken and veggies, at any rate. All three of us voted it into the "keeper" binder of recipes.

Hope you all are hanging in there with the nasty weather. Be safe; stock up on good snacks and fresh produce (the bread and milk advice always mystified me...).
Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Tuesday
OK for this week (much like the last):

1.) Crossfit workout 2X, 1 down, shoulder presses, pull ups and squats today, and lots of 'em
2.) Yoga 2X
3.) 6+ mile run - at least 1
4.) Keep calories between 1200 and 1400, 1067, 1291
5.) No beer or wine with dinner (or before dinner...PAM)yes, yes6.)
Protein @ 90g, 82g, 91g7.)
Carbs @ 40%, 41%, 31%

Work, Home and Life:
8.) Negotiate return of medicine cabinet that was not what I ordered: will see the folks at special orders Tues, DONE the manufacturer is going to send the new door directly to my house so I don't even have to go pick it up!

9.) Finish interview project for the Forest Service, On the way, mmmm. to much progress today

10.) Be kind to the hubby when he prattles on about work politics: Trying!, no problem tonight

11.) Find 2 new recipes that fit into the current diet (my turn to cook this week): found an old tried and true turkey stroganoff, tried a new chicken in the crockpot - very good and lots of leftovers for lunch
12.) Start a new creative project (obviously not feeling very creative at the moment as I can't even identify which catagory of project. But I need to plan something... idle hands are the devil's workshop ), hmmm... nothing yet, nope still go nothing.

Take care all. Those with a snow day tomorrow try to have a little fun with it and don't get too stressed out by all the things you can't do.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 PM
FitDay Member

Default Report card for Tuesday

For my health and well being I will:
1. Work out every morning. YES / NO
2. Eat between 1300-1550 calories per day. YES (1399) / YES (1354)
3. No more than 40% carbs. YES 36% / YES 28%
4. Drink 10 large glasses of water per day. YES / YES
5. Try Bikram yoga on Saturday.
6. Stay off the scale until next Tuesday!!!! Stayed off this morning!

For my mental and spiritual well being I will:
1. Work on my proposal. Not today / Not yet
2. Read before going to sleep. No, I fell asleep!
3. Put up my solar blinds in the kitchen. Not yet
4. Be positive. YES!
5. Knit. YES / NO

Well here we are the day of the big storm. It has started here in Montreal already and we're not supposed to get as much snow as some of the other North Eastern cities getting hit by this blizzard but damn, it looks pretty bad out there. Luckily I walk to work so I don't have to deal with my car just yet... although there will be a lot more shoveling later. I just try to think of all the calories I burned shoveling my stairs and digging my car out!

So I didn't do my workout yesterday. I felt pretty bad about that but since I am trying really hard to be positive I am also trying not to wallow in the guilt. I did do a lot of walking in the freezing cold weather yesterday. I had to go and buy my dog's medical food at the vet during my lunch break and then after work took my pooch on a very long winter walk.

Cassie, I am up for the scale challenge. I was successful this morning! I am sure that I won't suffer from this incredible plateau as much if I stay off the stupid thing. I had gained some holiday weight and was successful losing it but since then: nothing, big fat goose egg, nada, zip, zero pounds lost. I don't understand this plateau at all but I know that my body is improving and tightening from the exercise so I will keep moving forward.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 AM
FitDay Member

Tuesday's achievements:

Food
Calorie limit 1600, actual 1498
Carbs less fiber limit 25g, actual 23g
Protein goal 100-123g, actual 109

Water goal 48 oz., actual 54 oz.

Exercise:
12 minutes walking at 4MPH achieved
also did 25 AbSlide reps--like rolling pushups.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Tips on breaking a plateau

I thought I had more plateau busting links, but it was from an old list and only one link still works. These suggestions are from a low carb website BUT they apply to anyone. I don't push low carb--I respect people's choices. There's more than one way to lose weight. So whatever works for you is great as long as you eat balanced meals, get good nutrition, and your doctor approves of your weight loss diet and exercise.

I'm no plateau expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just passing along info I found helpful in the past.

from Low Carb Diet Tips & Basics - Weight Loss Stalls and Plateaus

Helpful Suggestions [for breaking plateaus]

1. Make sure you really are stalled. Take your body measurements with a tape. [Sometimes when we think we are stalled we are losing inches, but the scale numbers are not going down. Also, I've read that sometimes our loss temporarily stalls as our bodies, just as a protective measure, adjust to our new lower weight.]

2. Don't go hungry. Eat smaller more frequent meals, and make sure you have some protein with every meal and snack. Avoid going more than 5 hours without eating (except overnight, then make sure you have a protein-containing breakfast).

3. Bump up your exercise level. Increase the duration and/or the intensity. Change your routine. Add weight lifts if you are just doing aerobics. And if you're not exercising yet, get moving!

4. Avoid eating carbs before bedtime. This will trigger insulin, which will inhibit fat-burning while you sleep and in fact, will initiate fat STORAGE.

5. Drink more water [--if possible. Personally, I can't handle much more than 48 oz.]

Be careful about lowering your calorie intake TOO much. I've heard that restricting calories to below 1200 for more than 5 days in a row can cause your body to go into starvation mode where it will want to hang onto every little calorie and begin storing more fat.

I've also read that sometimes if we bump up exercise, our muscles may protest by temporarily retaining more water to cushion themselves from injury, causing water weight gain. When our bodies realize the extra exertion is causing no harm, the excess water will go away.

Last edited by Mern; 02-02-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.