Community
Notices

Couch to 5K

Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
FitDay Member

Great job MTgirl on W3...each week is a milestone it seems. We go from so little to a little bit more to running a 5K....who would have thought.

Avelina....you are on the home stretch and what a great feeling it must be just to know you are running now. Good job.

Well, I did W1D1 today. I had to modify a little in the sense of mileage. I went 2 miles instead of 3.11 but I figure if I can run a mile straight by the end of this I am doing better than I was when I started

I had a really rough week so I was very sore from my bouts but it also felt good to be moving. I have lost 2 lbs this week so that was another goal met. Overall, I have to say that I am excited about my progress so far...W1 LOL.....but I do remember what it was like W5 and W7 and W5 made me feel like I was able to do anything...what a confidence builder. W6 was the toughest for me for some reason.

Gr8 job luckygirl...you are more than half way there.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
FitDay Member

Amazing job, tjkhoover! Considering all that you had to overcome to get out there yesterday and start w1d1 you should be incredibly proud of yourself. You go, Girl!!!! Also congratulations on the 2-pound weight loss! I would kill for a 2-pound weigth loss. You are doing so well.

We'll all have to go at out own pace. I have a feeling I might have to repeat a week or two but I'm totally fine with it because I am improving a little with every single workout. It is such a confidence booster! I'm just focusing my energy on getting fit right now because I am not getting very encouraging results on the scale But I'm just going to keep pushing forward with my fitness and healthy eating and hoping that the weight will come off eventually!

Have a great day, Everyone!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

Yes, the weight will eventually come off. I have been consistent about putting my food in and it seems like I am eating on the average of 1500-1800 calories. I started with a few days at 1200 and kept going over but it seems to be working. I don't know about all the if you go to low it stays on because your body thinks it is starving or not but I figure if I keep working on staying consistent and if I start to gain or something I will back off by 100 and see how it goes. You and I are pretty close in our weight and goals....what are you doing? By the way, I did lose at least 15 lbs while doing the C25K in about 11 weeks the last time I did it. So be patient and keep going. I also walked on my days off of running.

We will get there if we just focus on the lifestyle change and enjoy what we are doing.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you for that, Jackie. I feel encouraged and I appreciate your support. I am following a very similar plan to yours. I am totally diligent about logging all my food on Fitday. I'm eating betwenn 1400-1700 calories per day and always trying to get at least 28% protein. As far as exercise goes, as you know I am doing the Couch To 5K program 3 times per week. As of last week I added Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred on the days I am not running (so 3 times per week) and on Sundays I walk 7-10K.

Whenever I have embarked on a weight loss program, I've always had at least a 3-5 pound loss the first week and this time I only lost 1.6 pounds. Tomorrow is my weigh-in day so I'll see how it goes but I know that the number on the scale is not the only result I should be after. I already feel so much better and more fit and some of my clothes definitely feel a little looser. I took my measurements last Saturday so in a few weeks I will check those again.

I am very encouraged by the fact that you lost 15 pounds the first time you did the C25K! We will get there! I promise to be patient!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 PM
FitDay Member

Wow...you are busy every day of the week. Consider taking a day for rest. That is important as well. It gives your muscles a chance to recover and your body to recouperate.

How do you like Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred?

I went over on my calories today....stinks but I will have to start fresh tomorrow. I hate it when I do that. I was just being lazy....no excuses.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:53 PM
FitDay Member

I was considering the one day rest per week but my workouts are only 30 minutes long, except for Sunday's powerwalk which is over an hour. I will see how this goes because I do agree that our muscles need a rest, however I'm not working the same muscles every single day. Anyway, last week I had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday morning at 8:15am so that was a forced day of rest because there was no way I'd get up early enough to do a workout before 8:15am!

I love Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. The first time I did it I thought it was really HARD and the next day I was incredibly sore but now I don't get sore afterwards and I am finding it a pinch easier. I like it because it incorporates weight training in a fast-paced way by making you lift weights while doing lunges so it's not that boring old iron pumping that I can't stand. It makes me sweat like crazy! And just when I think I am going to collapse it's over. Only 30 minutes but so much is crammed into it!

Don't worry about going over your calories one day. I actually think that it can be a good thing... shakes up the metabolism. And anyway we have to incorporate our sporadic deviations because a very wise person just told me yesterday, "We will get there if we just focus on the lifestyle change and enjoy what we are doing."

I lost one pound this week! Yay! Now I am off to do day 2 of week 3 in the C25K! Have a great day, Everyone!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 AM
FitDay Member

Wise...LOL your funny!

I am supposed to go for my run today W1D2. I am struggling to get out the door because I had a stressful day and it is hot outside. I think I am going to wait until the sun goes down a little and then just go for it. I always feel better when I do so I just have to make myself a priority....even when I don't feel like it. That sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it?!!? I mean I should want to be a priority! LOL

Congratulations on that 1 lb. YEAH YOU!

UPDATE: DID THE RUN...FELT GREAT AFTERWARD!

Last edited by tjkhoover; 06-09-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

tjkhoover: Great job on your run!

I just finished W5D3 today!!!!!! OMG I ran for 20 minutes straight!!!!

Actually 12 minutes in, my treadmill at the gym randomly turned off and I had to hop onto the one next to it, but I 'm going to still count my run as a straight 20 minutes.

This is an all time record for me! I am still in shock from actually being able to run for 20 minutes without stopping!

I felt like I needed to share this with all of you. I never thought I would be able to be a runner...this far off dream is starting to feel like it could actually become a reality.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Question for treadmill users...

So I suddenly had to travel to Mexico for work and I am in a hotel with a great gym. Of course I don't want to lose any momentum on my C25K program so I will definitely take to the treadmill tomorrow morning. This may sound like a really dumb question but how do you guys go from walking to running on the treadmill. I have always run outside so I am a newbie to the treadmill. Do I just put it in manual mode and then hike up the speed when it's time to run? If so how do I know how fast to set it?

I hope I don't sound like a dummy!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

Luckygirl...exciting isn't it! What a great feeling to know that you are actually a runner. It changes how you feel somehow about what you can do....real confidence booster. Love this program! Congrats.

Mtlgirl....everyone is a little different depending on the shape they are in. I walked at about 3.5 to 3.7 and then when I jogged I would go up anywhere from 4.2 to 5.0. I always tried to finish with an actual run of 7 or 8 for 30 seconds to a minute. But I know some who started walking at what I jogged and just the opposite of some who started at 2.5 walking and jogged at 3.5. You will have to feel it out for yourself. Gauge it by how long it generally takes you to go a mile. If you can walk a mile in 15 minutes then you are a 4.0 walker.

I probably turned that into something more than needed but...hope it helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.