Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/2/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/2/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/2/11

Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

What an excellent idea! Let's see, what are my current goals, apart from general healthy eating.

1) 1000-1100 calories/day (don't worry, I'm 4'11, this is reasonable for me).
2) Lie on the Miracle Balls every day.
3) Remember to water the sprouts twice daily and eat them when they're ready.
4) Soup or salad for lunch.
5) Eat at regular hours, and don't get carried away on the laptop before breakfast.

I agree that it's appalling that children are being sexualised more and more these days, and the items of clothing and footwear directed at children these days beggar belief, but please remember not to blame the victims of sexual assault, any more than we would blame a child for being murdered if it was throwing a tantrum. People may take risks which are unwise, but no one ever deserves to be sexually assaulted, and people have the right to say "no" to sexual activity at any point they choose. Clothing doesn't "inspire" a sexual assault, the perpetrator's lack of ethics and desire to play power games inspire sexual assaults.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, Julia and Cybervox,

Thanks. I can take no credit... she has made the job of being the mom of a teenage girl an easy one. When I hear of what some moms are going through, I'm really grateful.

Mern,

Looks like your days of rain are coming my way. One more nice day, then it looks like a solid week of rain. I'm going to get out today and make the most of it.

Mike,

Looks like your having a great week reaching your goals! I'm back on track as well but my pie chart is down right humiliating! Have to work on that! Under Armour is a wonderful invention, isn't it???

Julia,

When I first heard about the schooner, I actually thought of you. It's a really unique opportunity to study biological and environmental issues facing the Great Lakes led by a wonderful group of women scientists. She's completing her Junior year... college apps out next month!

Cybervox,

I worked with bridal and formal wear as well! I didn't do any of the sewing...I was in sales and managed the company. A woman far more talented than myself did that. You're absolutely right... people have no idea what goes into formal wear, especially original gowns. I think it's because of my years of working in that industry that I totally love my jeans and pony tail now!!! Thanks for the info on Quails, as well. I read your post to my husband about "feathered balls of lightning" and he laughed and laughed. I guess I have to find a breed that's rather chubby, slow and pokey. We had bunnies for years and I usually spent my summers chasing them around the yard with a fishing net.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats Quinn on your daughter's achievement. It's good to take pride in things we have done well in our lives such as raising children you can be proud of.

Moving well today despite Zumba. I enjoyed the class and look forward to next week. I'm trying to figure out activities for the summer to keep me moving and that I enjoy. There is a much better chance I will do them if I like them.

It's funny how the mindset works. When I see myself as an active person I am much more apt to shut off the tv or computer and get out there and bike, kayak, hike or do something else active. Then sometimes I get back in the couch potato mode and have to reprogram! Mary
Old 05-04-2011, 02:28 AM
FitDay Member

For all you people who hate your appearance - or your fangs -- it could be worse. I had a client charged with robbery with a diguise. From the video the police thought she was wearing a fake nose and glasses when she was shoplifting-- she wasn't! Luckily they dropped the charge so we didn't have to prove it was really her nose.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

quinn: I just wish I knew what I did to hurt my back! I do know that I had my hardest-workout-ever last Saturday (I pushed for an extra 15 minutes) but it felt awesome afterwards, and randomly started to bug me on Sunday night - it hit hard and fast, like a ninja. Thanks for the advice! I've definitely tried to muscle through injuries before, so I know how bad it can be too. If all I can do is walk for a week, then that's what I'll do!

Congratulations on your daughter's scholarship!! That's awesome!!!

kay: Thanks! I'll have to check those out on Netflix. I'm often a little leery of yoga and other things that require poses because I have a bad/reconstructed ankle, and there are some poses I just can't do. Then I get mad at myself. I do need to break out of that cycle though, and realize if I can't do it, that's ok, I'll just do the next one. Maybe it would even help the ol' ankle. Great job on the exercise, the you-time, and the mountain of clothes!

Now, to wrestle the TV/Xbox away from the BF...that is the real challenge...

Mern: Not sucky at all! As others have said, you were really close. Give yourself some credit, lady. Thanks for the woohoo! It felt great. I think when I hit halfway-mark I'm going to try to get up the guts to post pictures.

almeeker: Mr. Stupid Professor indeed!! You showed him. I've heard similar things from others who told me I'd never get my Ph.D. in my department as it was "a boys' club" -- well, it was a boys' club, and I got my Ph.D. under the average time it takes for all those boys to get it done. We get the last laugh Also, holy crap on that dress. You should see some of the dresses I see around campus -- I guess at least their moms didn't let them out in it?! Sheesh.

Lindsey: I see more green than red! You're doing great!

Julia: LOL, I think excusing myself to the bathroom is going to be my new secret weapon. My nose is going to be AWESOMELY powdered. You will do great at your party this weekend - you're already planning. Keep the goals simple and concrete, and you will do awesome. I will be thinking of you

sandi: So sorry to hear about your pup, it's so hard to lose a furry child, but we're here for you if you need to talk about it. Big hugs to you!

Cybervox: Thanks for the congratulations! It is a good feeling, and it was a bright turquoise dress too, so I know I stood out. And you CAN do it eating out -- Heck, I had to run to the bathroom to avoid impulses, but I did it. If I can do it, anyone can do it, trust me, I have to work on the 'ol willpower every single day.

Mike: Those are some awesome fangs my friend! And you live near New Orleans -- do you happen to have been inspiration for a vampire book or three? Hehe.

Tuesday Report Card

Food, Exercise and Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit by the end of the week M: -437 T: -529 (Week Total: -966)
2) Do not take off two days in a row from exercising. M: Day off (back pain) T: 10 minutes stat. bike, then stopped due to back pain
3) Achieve a 30% protein average for the week M: 20% T: 28% (Weekly Average: 24%)
4) Carbs at or below 50% average for the week M: 38% T: 43% (Weekly Average: 40.5%)
5) Protein powder after every workout in a smoothie M: N/A T: N/A
6) At least 104 oz. water daily M: I think so T: yes
7) Report here each and every day M: Day after T: Day after
8) Eat out/take out no more than twice for lunch and once for dinner M: Pizza lunch, restaurant dinner T: No takeout (Total 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner)

Other Life Stuff:
1) Handle stress directly and appropriately M: No real stress T: Yes
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: Yes x 2! T: Yes
3) Work on my embroidery for at least five hours M: No T: 2 hours (Total 2 hours)
4) "Smile more, bitch less" M: All smiles! T: Yes, I was very zen yesterday
5) Try two new recipes M: No T: No

I went to work out yesterday, as my back was feeling ok -- sat down on the bike, and after about 10 minutes it started to cramp/zeize up on me. It wasn't bad, but I considered it a "warning shot" and promptly got off the bike and stretched, then went back to the apartment and rubbed on some Ben Gay. I wanted to work out, but the routine of at least TRYING to go to the gym was very good for me - just getting home, changed, getting my gym stuff together and doing the 5 minute walk there and back made sure that I was getting myself into the groove.

I'm proud that I didn't beat myself up for having to stop- the back pain is what it is, and pushing it is only going to sideline me for longer than a few days. I just wish I knew what I did to aggrivate it.

I have been RAVENOUS lately so my cal deficits aren't stellar. I've been trying to hold the snacking to a minimum, but I have been eating larger meals than normal and still feeling hungry. I'm super-hungry right now, and I just ate breakfast (peach greek yogurt and half a whole-wheat bagel) about an hour ago. Hopefully I can hit my 7,000 this week, but it will be very difficult. The good news is that my back feels LOADS better today after conscious rest last night (Hey, I got to work on my sewing! Yay for other goals!) so I'll try again today. I'm also hoping that the suddenly notched-up hunger means my metabolism is ramping back up after a little mini-plateau.

Today is my four month anniversary on Fitday, and I'm very close to 30 lbs. lost It's a good day!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

~Terri
Old 05-04-2011, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

Terri,

Happy Anniversary! 30 lbs. in 4 months is certainly something that you should be very proud of! I'm so happy for you.

Way to handle stress this week! Looks like the moon and stars are lining up for you... enjoy it before you have another "equipment malfunction"!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
ouch... 2 mins of plank anyone?
Crap, I didn't realize that I sounded so bitchy, my reaction was more of stunned and saddened, but okay 2 minutes of plank it is. That's going to bite after doing 50 push-ups this morning.

Last edited by almeeker; 05-04-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
...and, if I may have one minute of total pride, we received word today that she was awarded one of the scholarships that we applied for about 7 weeks ago; to study environmental science/engineering this summer on a large schooner sailing on the Great Lakes. The scholarship is for young women entering careers in Environmental Science/Biology. I'm one happy mom tonight!
Whoo hooo, congrats to the awesome daughter and you know what they say is standing behind every awesome daughter don't you? An even awesomer mom, that's right you are just rocking it this week!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

I just had to update my report card for yesterday, I forgot to log a Go-Gurt and a pudding cup, which put me up over my calorie budget. Stupid stupid stupid. So I did my 50 push-ups and it's over with now.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 AM
FitDay Member

almeeker,

Thanks. My week sure has improved from last week. (I just hope I can keep the good luck rolling!) BTW, you're a very impressive mom yourself. High five for you, too, from one SAHM to another!

Terri,

About not knowing what you did... My MD said that he has seen totally blown discs from picking up a paper clip from a seated position. Not saying that your injury is that severe, just that it's very easy to seriously hurt your spine. It takes no effort at all to mess up your back. Sometimes just lifting a gallon of milk is all it takes. My guess is that it was your extra workout. I know it sounds strange, but when my back really blows out, it will be a couple of days after the original injury. I'll push too hard one day, wake up the next, thinking that I got away with it, and then maybe two days later it will really go out. The usual culprit is inflammation pressing on nerves. Steady doses of an anti-inflammatory usually take the pressure off long enough for it to heal. After 24 hours, a heating pad usually becomes your best friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.