Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/2/11

Old 05-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mern, she was thrilled. She knows that I didn't have a lot of $$ to spend but I got her the best thing that I could afford. She's never had her own computer so she's very happy.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, a laptop and accessories are quite a GENEROUS gift and is something she'll always remember. Laptops aren't cheap. My family was poor when I was a kid--one of my favorite gifts I ever got from my Dad was a teddy bear he found in a dumpster and cleaned up for me.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mern
Mike, a laptop and accessories are quite a GENEROUS gift and is something she'll always remember. Laptops aren't cheap. My family was poor when I was a kid--one of my favorite gifts I ever got from my Dad was a teddy bear he found in a dumpster and cleaned up for me.
Oh wow, that's sad. I bet you can really appreciate the finer things in life now!
Old 05-08-2011, 12:19 PM
FitDay Member

Oh, I do, Mike, but I wasn't trying to garner sympathy--it's a fond memory for me. I was just sharing a personal experience that shows that gifts don't have to be expensive at all to be a greatly appreciated and never forgotten. That dumpster teddy bear was a sign of my Dad's love and even at age six or so and knowing where he got that teddy bear, I felt so special that he would do that for me.

Last edited by Mern; 05-08-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:35 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
Oh, I do, Mike, but I wasn't trying to garner sympathy--it's a fond memory for me. I was just sharing a personal experience that shows that gifts don't have to be expensive at all to be a greatly appreciated and never forgotten. That dumpster teddy bear was a sign of my Dad's love and even at age six or so and knowing where he got that teddy bear, I felt so special that he would do that for me.
Mern,

I just loved your story. I've posted a bunch of times before about my favorite gifts... usually homemade or similar.

For Mother's Day, my kids each bought me a large bag of Cheetos. lol Why? Because I don't like when they buy me things; it makes me really uncomfortable. So, for the last 20 years or more when they ask for a gift idea that I wouldn't buy for myself, I always smile and say, "Cheetos".

They were laughing today when they told me that my son called my daughter earlier in the week and asked if she had any idea what I would like. She simply told him, "You know." Sure enough, I have enough Cheetos to last about a year.

So, here I return to my Fitday buddies, stained with the unmistakable neon orange tint of artificial coloring smeared all over my fingers and face. (Ghirardelli chocolate and Belgian Waffles may have also been involved...)

I seriously think I need a stomach pump...

Time to waddle to bed and sort out the damage tomorrow.

Have a great night all!

Oh, and Mike... She looks exactly like you!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mern, I didn't take it that way, I'm sorry. I think that the kids (people in general) these days don't know just how good they have it.

Quinn, thanks. I guess I can't deny her.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day. I'm looking forward to a new thread in the AM. Today was just a bad day...not only foodwise, but it was just one of those dumb old days and I need to start over fresh tomorrow...at least I hope so!

Plus also I didn't have my yogurt .

Quinn, hope you enjoyed your day; sounds like you did.

Mern, your story about the bear made me think of my mom. Last week, my son had to interview someone who lived during the Depression era. My mom was born in '32, so that was as close as he could get. I listened in on the phone and I was amazed at how rough they had it, and also as to how I never knew that. One of his questions was about the toughest time, and she said that there really were no tough times, because the family was so close.

I can almost picture a dad lovingly scrubbing up a bear for his daughter. What a sweet story. Hope you had a happy day today.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:55 PM
FitDay Member

Morning everyone...
I wasn't slacking, I promise! My monitor went *pop* and died on Friday morning before I logged in, so I had to go ahunting for a new one without the benefit of the internet to go price-checking. For all things electronic, I've always price-checked via the net before going out to get whatever it is, but when the thing that dies is a part of the computer, it's a bit hard. So got the new monitor Saturday after work, which was a bit of a trek, let my brother set it up and went to bed ready for my horrible early start yesterday, finished yesterday's shift with a pounding headache from sleep deprivation (we've had thunderstorms the last few days/nights and I can't block them out enough to sleep properly, I actually prefer to watch them, lightning's so pretty) and just ate something and collapsed in bed.
BUT I'm back, I'm currently reading up on everything I've missed over the last few days and will probably have more relevant/interesting things to say later, but my brain's still waking up at the moment.

Hope everyone's weekends went well, and all the mothers here had a good day yesterday, and Mike got through it with more happy memories than sadness.

I'm off to wake up and write the week's shopping list...