Notices

Fabulous 100 pound club for women...

Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
Before anyone gets confuzzled - I am in a same-gender relationship, lol.
Ok, so my partner and I just got into an argument about Sweet Tarts. Apparently, she's had them for weeks. First off, let me preface this by explaining that yesterday we went shopping for Easter goodies yesterday and while I wanted to focus on the non-edible stuff like toys, she kept going to chocolate (because I knew she was really going to be the one eating it, we don't allow our daughter to have candy and our son it too young).
So flash forward to this morning. I go into the office and find her secret stash of Sweet Tarts. She says it's to help her quit smoking. I ask why she couldn't just have sugar free certs or something. She freaks out on me, says I am always "all or nothing" and throws the candy in the trash, storming out.
We are always arguing about her lifestyle. She is obese, extremely inactive and has just about the worse eating habits one could have. She says that because she only has about 70 pounds to lose, she shouldn't have to change anything until I have only 70 pounds to lose, so we can lose them together. I just hear excuses and laziness.
SO, what do you think, am I being petty and controlling?
I hate to say this, because I can tell from your posts that you are very serious about losing weight and committed to a healthier lifestyle, but you might be verging on "Food Natzi". I struggle with that problem myself, so I recognize the signs.

Let me tell you about my own experience. My husband had a wake up call from his heart and cholesterol 9-10 years ago. His doc told him he needed to lose 65-70 pounds, cut cholesterol from his diet and get a solid cardio workout 3-4 hours/week minimum. At that same time I was pregnant with our first, working full time and we were also renovating our house. I felt like my hands were already full, so I sort of ignored his issues and just kept pace with my own. Although I made some attempt to change our favorite dishes to low fat and low cholesterol. Anyway he lost the weight, joined a gym and never once said boo about my own habits. Which could not have been easy, because health-wise I was headed down a raging river in a holey boat with no paddle. Since then we've had 2 more children, and our oldest had several near death experiences, so for the last 10 years I've been completely pre-occupied with motherhood.

Last fall I decided on my own, without any sort of wake up call, or fighting with my husband that my time had come to get healthy again. I think if he had been beating me up verbally all this time over my habits, we would have been divorced a long time ago. And given that I'm stubborn, I would probably have behaved worse, eaten way more and be even heavier and more out of shape then I am. As hard as it might be for you to hear, you gotta let your SO come to Jesus of her own free will.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
... We had a great time in Chicago, took the kids to see a bunch of things we'd been telling them about for ages. It rained a little one day, but the rest of the time it was sunny and if not for the Chicago wind, warm enough for shorts!!! ....
BTW, a slice of cheese cake from the Cheesecake Factory averages 1000 calories. And while I didn't actually order my own piece of cheesecake, I did have multiple bites off the ones the kids got. Argh!!!
Hey Almeeker - I'm so glad that you had a wonderful time in Chicago & that it was warm & dry (for the most part) during your trip. OMG - 1,000 cal per slice??? It amazes me that I didn't get fatter than I did with the calories in some foods that I ate so much of...I had NO idea. Thank god for Fitday!

Welcome oliviagilmore, you've come to the right place to find ppl to join you on your journey. I look forward to learning about the things you've learned that work & how you're doing. Best wishes for fabulous results!

I've been staying on track & went back to eating the allowable snacks since I think that was a big part of my frustration & eating off plan last week. I couldn't figure out what had caused me to stall & nothing I tried was moving me off that cursed plateau so I went back to my original eating plan since that had been working to see what would happen. Well F-I-N-A-L-L-L-L-Y! this morning I was down a pound & a half. Which means I've reached another goal and will set my hair appointment at Aveda's for my reward! After these weeks (that seriously felt like months) of not seeing any results from all of my hard work & effort I can't tell you how thrilled I am today. I'm guessing that at times our bodies, or at least my body, just gets hung-up on those plateaus. I hate, hate, hate the cursed, blasted plateaus.

Playing around with Easter recipes I came up with a 3 calorie 'cookie' that I'm calling Coco Clouds. It's so tasty & easy. Just whip egg whites into stiff peaks (I also used cream of tarter since I didn't use sugar to hold the whites), & then add a small amount of vanilla extract, sweetener and unsweetened cocoa. Pipe or spoon into small cookie shapes and bake in a slow oven for 20 minutes. They're unbelievably good.

I'm glad everyone is doing well & had a good Easter holiday. I'll be eating turkey breast for a while - and meanwhile the dogs are loving the thighs & legs...they love my new way of eating.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by desertmountain
I've been staying on track & went back to eating the allowable snacks since I think that was a big part of my frustration & eating off plan last week. I couldn't figure out what had caused me to stall & nothing I tried was moving me off that cursed plateau so I went back to my original eating plan since that had been working to see what would happen. Well F-I-N-A-L-L-L-L-Y! this morning I was down a pound & a half. Which means I've reached another goal and will set my hair appointment at Aveda's for my reward! After these weeks (that seriously felt like months) of not seeing any results from all of my hard work & effort I can't tell you how thrilled I am today. I'm guessing that at times our bodies, or at least my body, just gets hung-up on those plateaus. I hate, hate, hate the cursed, blasted plateaus.
Whooo hoooo hoooo!!! Congratulations on breaking through!!! I'm going to try that coco cloud business. Sounds yummy.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

Howdy ya'll....I'm a newbie for sure.

I was told to check ya'll out so here I am. I am sure this is going to be a bumpy ride for me and I am probably gonna fight it.

But I have already had some victories and I would like some more.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 AM
FitDay Member

Good Evening

It was so great to hear about everyone's holidays- it does make a difference when you can prepare ahead, but all in all it sounds like everyone did well. I understand about planning for little treats- this "diet" is going to take a long time- the rest of my life I hope, eating healthy and making good decisions, but that doesn't mean you cannot have a little treat once in a while. The idea is how to incorporate that into your diet and not sabotage all of the hard work. With parties, I try as others have suggested to take at least one dish that I know I can eat, or a low-cal dessert and the try to pick the best of the other selections. I also usually make that my only meal of the day if I can. If we go out to dinner for Sunday then I skip breakfast and have a low-cal snack later in the evening only and still only average my regular calories for the day. It's about planning for the extra calories.

Hope everyone has a great week.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by desertmountain
Playing around with Easter recipes I came up with a 3 calorie 'cookie' that I'm calling Coco Clouds. It's so tasty & easy. Just whip egg whites into stiff peaks (I also used cream of tarter since I didn't use sugar to hold the whites), & then add a small amount of vanilla extract, sweetener and unsweetened cocoa. Pipe or spoon into small cookie shapes and bake in a slow oven for 20 minutes. They're unbelievably good.

I love this idea! I have been craving chocolate soooo much lately. I'm not exactly an experienced baker, so I have a few questions. How many egg whites do you use? How much cream of tarter? And, um, what's a slow oven? I really am ignorant with baking, sorry.

I am officially down 18 pounds today. Only 2 more pounds until my 2nd goal. (I am trying to conentrated on goals of 10 lb increments. Not as daunting) I am so thrilled, but feel myself getting burned out on salads. I do ok with dinner, I eat lean meat like chicken and shrimp. But man, lunches are stiting to suck. Any ideas on what I can make that is low-cal and somewhat low-carb? I would appreciate any ideas!!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default Keep on keeping on

I am approaching the 1 month mark of being on this new eating plan with my doctor. It's hard sometimes - this evening I wasn't feeling very well, and definitely thought a couple of times that it didn't matter how big I got, I should just eat the way I want.... then I thought if I never have anyother slice of cheesecake again, maybe being thin isn't worth it, lol.

Is life worth living without cheesecake, cheeseburgers or ice cream? I'm sure tomorrow I'll be back to my "food nazi" ways... lol. I love that by the way, since it was complete disregard and abandon that got me to over 400! Woo hoo... I'll be the food nazi with a "1" in front of her weight... and NOT followed by three zeros. LOL.

Just give me strength to stay the course for today.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:28 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by amylee32
i love this idea! I have been craving chocolate soooo much lately. I'm not exactly an experienced baker, so i have a few questions. How many egg whites do you use? How much cream of tarter? And, um, what's a slow oven? I really am ignorant with baking, sorry.

i am officially down 18 pounds today. only 2 more pounds until my 2nd goal. (i am trying to conentrated on goals of 10 lb increments. Not as daunting) i am so thrilled, but feel myself getting burned out on salads. I do ok with dinner, i eat lean meat like chicken and shrimp. But man, lunches are stiting to suck. Any ideas on what i can make that is low-cal and somewhat low-carb? I would appreciate any ideas!!

great job amylee!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 PM
FitDay Member

amylee what ive been doing (following south beach here) is for a change have taken sandwich fixings and put them in lettuce wraps..you can find them in the veggies aisles...some people just use romaine leaves but I like how these hold fillings like a taco. Ive had egg salad,,turkey,,,a 8 grain salad mix..whatever..the latest was a hamburger..I cut a pattie in half, placed it inside the lettuce andthen added some chopped onions, tom, mustard, relish and cheese slice.it tasted just like a cheeseburger and was soooo good!!! Im going to have to make this again soon.

As the warm weather approaches a favourite lunch for me is to just cut up lots of low cal veggies, add some cheese slices, maybe some cottage cheese, or yogurt and some fruit and make my own cold plate.

Salads are soo good...and Ive taken to adding whatever is in my fridge to them...start with your basic ingrediants and then add some dried cranberries, low fat feta cheese and raspberry dressing. If you have some cold meat in your fridge add that....leftover rice...go ahead,,,its amazing what you can come up with.

hope this helps...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:47 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
I am approaching the 1 month mark of being on this new eating plan with my doctor. It's hard sometimes - this evening I wasn't feeling very well, and definitely thought a couple of times that it didn't matter how big I got, I should just eat the way I want.... then I thought if I never have anyother slice of cheesecake again, maybe being thin isn't worth it, lol.

Is life worth living without cheesecake, cheeseburgers or ice cream? I'm sure tomorrow I'll be back to my "food nazi" ways... lol. I love that by the way, since it was complete disregard and abandon that got me to over 400! Woo hoo... I'll be the food nazi with a "1" in front of her weight... and NOT followed by three zeros. LOL.

Just give me strength to stay the course for today.
Oh honey nobody said you can never have cheesecake, ice cream and cheeseburgers again. You can, you just can't eat all of them everyday all day long, especially Cheesecake Factory cheesecake.

I eat cheeseburgers all the time. We cook them at home on the grill (so some of the fat drips off) with very lean beef, then I add an ounce of reduced fat co-jack cheese and then slap the whole thing on a slimwich with lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard and pickles (lots of pickles). Slimwiches are whole grain bun-like things, they look like small loaves of pita bread, another maker calls them Slim Buns (which I happen to like the sound of - LOL). My cheeseburgers are about 350-400 calories, where the same thing at a restaurant would be closer to 800.

When I want ice cream I get low-fat, sugar-free frozen yogurt or I make frozen custard with eggs, skim milk and yes a little bit of real sugar and some vanilla. Cheesecake is also something you can make yourself and get the same eating experience without the calorie overload. Just follow a regular recipe, but use the low fat cream cheese (sometimes called Neuchatel), delete 1/2 the sugar and use ground nuts for 1/2 the graham cracker crumbs (you can also throw in a little wheat germ if it makes you happy), and low-fat spread for the butter. Yes, it still has some calories, but generally speaking they are better for you than the traditional recipe. I usually top it with homemade reduced-sugar jam or fresh fruit. It's very satisfying.

Last edited by almeeker; 04-06-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.