FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Who's got just 10-15 Pounds? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/6798-whos-got-just-10-15-pounds.html)

sjpisjabba 02-28-2012 11:16 AM

Who's got just 10-15 Pounds?
 
Hi, does anyone else out there have just 10-15 pounds to lose? I am always highly motivated by the postings by people who have lost a ton of weight, but I was hoping to find some others in my situation. I've heard that the last 10 are the hardest to lose, so maybe some group support on this would help!

I've never been truly overweight but my weight does fluctuate up and down 5-10 pounds. The past year I haven't been at the top of my game so to speak, I've been feeling sluggish, not eating very clean, and not being consistent with my workouts. I was very sick last year and I think that set me back a bit. Plus I think I gained some "happy weight" after cuddle time with my boyfriend.

I'm trying to lose about 10 pounds before April 30 (secretly I would like to get to 118.0 before a Hawaii trip the first week of May...but the last time I weighed that I was like 15 and I'm 33 now). I've been trying to eat ~1500 calories a day and workout a few times a week but it's a busy time of year at work so hopefully this will only get better. I started seriously with my goal last week by giving up sugar completely (bad sweet tooth) and eating healthier foods and logging everything, working out with higher intensity, and focusing on rest. I already feel the difference, my body feels cleaner, but I'm worried I won't stick with it without some other encouragement. And the last 10 pounds are so hard that if you just slip a teeny bit you're right back where you started.

Who else is out there? Let's motivate each other! :)


-----------------
Start weight: 132.6 (2/17/12)
Current weight: 130.0 (2/26/12)
Official goal weight: 120.0 (4/30/12)
Secretly-would-love-to-be: 118.0 (5/5/12)

RunbikeSki 02-28-2012 12:39 PM

me, me
 
I lost most of my excess weight a few years back and am now in an admittedly enviable position of not needing to lose another 10 lbs, but I would really like to. That would put me in the 120's which, like you, I haven't been anywhere near that since I was 15.

I am starting a low carb challenge to lose 10 lbs or as much weight as possible in 8 weeks. So I am right there with you! I start the challenge on Wed, and I am pretty sure that "challenge" will be the right word :o.

nottango 02-28-2012 01:46 PM

I'm in. I lost 25 pounds last year, but unfortunately about 10 have creeped back on. I am going to be on the beach in Florida during the last week of March, so would like to be 135# or below by 3/24. I am currently 140# Sounds like it should be easy, but I'm 46 and have to work for every pound lost. I've been on fit-day for over a year and a hslf, but just started daily journaling again last Wednesday (Ash Wednesday). My plan is to use Lent every year to get back to where I belong (130# or below).
I jog most mornings, and do some weight training (at home, too broke for a gym).

dear_abby 02-28-2012 05:10 PM

I'll jump in - I am nervous about spending more keyboard time, but I think this will be good for me.

Like Pam I'm more in "want to lose" than "gotta lose". I'm pretty healthy, although word on the street appears to be that thinner is better.

As of this morning, I was 157.6. I want to be 150 by my birthday, June 20. That's a little less than half a pound a week, most doable, except it's also most easy to put it back on.

I exercise vigourously most mornings, and eat pretty healthy during the week. Weekends are another matter.

Maybe it's time I put stats in my signature, I haven't been ready for that yet.

Look forward to getting to know all of you and rooting each other on!

Abby

kimbur96 02-29-2012 02:00 AM

I'll join. I have 10lbs to go to hit my goal weight of 120. The closer you get to your goal weight the harder it seems to get the pounds to come off. So here's to saying goodbye to those final ten. Let's do this girls!!

sjpisjabba 02-29-2012 07:28 AM

kimbur96 we are the same height, same weight, same goal weight, and from your pics we have the exact same build! what's your strategy to take it off?

sjpisjabba 02-29-2012 08:45 AM

i got on the scale this morning and was the exact same weight i was almost a week ago, despite several trips to the gym and being pretty careful about food. i feel like i'm going to need a miracle to get the numbers to start moving...yes, i'm seeing a little bit of improvement in the mirror and i know the whole "it's muscle weight" argument but i just want to see that number go down (ok maybe it's a bit of vanity but still, i'm working hard here!!!). grrr!

anyway, i'm glad we've got a support group going, i know that will keep me inspired!

my next mini-goal - 129.0 by 3/5/12

nottango 02-29-2012 11:14 AM

Must be the scales - I weighed in at 140.4# this morning, even though I increased exercise and decreased food over the past week. Telling myself "My muscles are retaining fluid as they recover from working out" helps, but it would be nice to see the scale moving downward. I know it'll happen, and that regardless of what the number says I'll feel better in my bathing suit knowing that I put the workouts in. Still feeling pretty motivated.
How about making Wednesdays our official weigh-in day?
Glad to see we've got a nice group of women with similar goals!
Keep checking in everyone!

kimbur96 02-29-2012 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by sjpisjabba (Post 74468)
kimbur96 we are the same height, same weight, same goal weight, and from your pics we have the exact same build! what's your strategy to take it off?

I'm eating 900-1100 calories of food a day. Lots of protein, more than 30% protein would like to be closer to 50%. Whole grains i.e. ww bread, ww pasta, brown rice. I have eliminated white flour pretty much. Fresh fruit. Veggies are my sore spot. I just don't like many vegetables. I drink 80+ oz water daily. Little to no caffeine. My work out goal is 5 x week for weights followed by 30-60 minutes of cardio.

I was stuck at 132 for almost 3 weeks. I know how frustrating it can be when the scale won't budge. Crazy thing is my clothes were loser, I could tell that but some how I wanted/needed the validation of the scale moving. I had my body fat tested and it too had dropped. That really encouraged me and then FINALLY the scale dropped a pound, then another pound in the same week and now i am holding again at 130. Been here a few days but I am ok with that. It seems to be the way i loose. Not to mention we have to deal with TOTM and fluid we hold which can make the scale even tougher at times to move.

Hang in there. And I know it's hard for all of us but look at the way your clothes are fitting, look at your self changing in the mirror. It's much more accurate than the scale. Eventually the scale will move too.

sjpisjabba 02-29-2012 12:21 PM

i love the idea of wednesday being our official weigh in day!

thanks for the encouragement, actually looking forward to getting on the treadmill tonight...

dear_abby 02-29-2012 12:33 PM

I'm in for Wednesday being the official weigh in day. 155 today.

I'm with you team about needing the scale validation - I know I didn't burn 7200 more calories than I ate to account for the 2 pound loss, but I let myself celebrate the decrease, and I fret over the same increase.

Pretty good behavior yesterday, although I had two pumpkin oatmeal raisin cookies after dinner, still within calorie budget.

Abby

VitoVino 02-29-2012 03:22 PM


Originally Posted by sjpisjabba (Post 74470)
i got on the scale this morning and was the exact same weight i was almost a week ago, despite several trips to the gym and being pretty careful about food. i feel like i'm going to need a miracle to get the numbers to start moving...

Miracles do happen

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...g-plateau.html

RunbikeSki 02-29-2012 04:28 PM

Good morning all.
For the gazilliunth time I was reminded that the smaller I get, the lower my tolerance for alcohol is ... when will I learn :cool:. I don't get roaring headaches anymore, just the spaciest, barely able to focus feeling I have ever experienced.

Some website reminded me that in the race to get calories (glucose, frutose etc) into the blood stream, alcohol is digested first followed by simple carbs, yet another reason for me to limit the beer and wine consumption - talk about empty calories. In any event, beer and wine will certainly be off the table (literally) starting today.

I am so happy to see the 10 to 15 pound team is growing! I will be shooting for 1000 - 1200 cals with a big chunk of it as protein. I think that the first week's presciption calls for no grains at all and very little fruit. Thank heavens for FitDay - I just couldn't do this if I had to record everything by hand.

My Official weigh in is this afternoon, I'll post then.

Choose the foods well, today!

canary52 02-29-2012 05:20 PM

only 10 or 15 pounds for only YEARS it seems. I'm in. 5'5" 138. Wanna be 125. Wednesdays work for me.

nottango 02-29-2012 05:43 PM

Hey Hope - we've been here before, huh! Welcome to the club! :) I know you have extra challenges. I have to say, I felt quite guilty after realizing that I'd been telling you to work harder when you couldn't and didn't know why. I'm really sorry.
I have a feeling every spring we'll be restarting this thread to get rid of the winter weight!
Wouldn't it be nice if we all met our goals and then we wouldn't have to worry about it anymore?

jonjaxmom 02-29-2012 06:29 PM

I'd like to join this as well! i'm 43 with 2 active boys, and I've been using fit day on and off for several years, but have been serious since December. Most recent
"life change" began end of dec, and I've got about 15 lbs to go, and always looking for support. I've always read these posts, but now am trying to participate more. lOVE this site.

I count calories, eat as cleanly as possible, and exercise about 3x a week.

canary52 02-29-2012 07:08 PM


Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 74513)
Good morning all.
For the gazilliunth time I was reminded that the smaller I get, the lower my tolerance for alcohol is ... when will I learn :cool:. I don't get roaring headaches anymore, just the spaciest, barely able to focus feeling I have ever experienced.

Some website reminded me that in the race to get calories (glucose, frutose etc) into the blood stream, alcohol is digested first followed by simple carbs, yet another reason for me to limit the beer and wine consumption - talk about empty calories. In any event, beer and wine will certainly be off the table (literally) starting today.

I am so happy to see the 10 to 15 pound team is growing! I will be shooting for 1000 - 1200 cals with a big chunk of it as protein. I think that the first week's presciption calls for no grains at all and very little fruit. Thank heavens for FitDay - I just couldn't do this if I had to record everything by hand.

My Official weigh in is this afternoon, I'll post then.

Choose the foods well, today!

I can relate. I cannot drink either. But that didn't stop me from trying, a couple of weeks ago. I got drunk as a skunk and sick as a dog because it interacted with my Lyrica (somehow I forgot I was on it.) I said I won't do that again!!! Then had half a beer and a tiny bit of port wine at my poker game a week or so later and felt really queasy. Lesson learned, my friends!!! Better choices!!!

canary52 02-29-2012 07:14 PM


Originally Posted by nottango (Post 74526)
Hey Hope - we've been here before, huh! Welcome to the club! :) I know you have extra challenges. I have to say, I felt quite guilty after realizing that I'd been telling you to work harder when you couldn't and didn't know why. I'm really sorry.
I have a feeling every spring we'll be restarting this thread to get rid of the winter weight!
Wouldn't it be nice if we all met our goals and then we wouldn't have to worry about it anymore?

Hey Nottango!!! Good to hear from you!!!! Long time!!! It's so sweet of you but don't feel sorry, honey. You didn't know. Man, I used to be such a gym rat; I'll tell you, I miss those work outs. No, really!!! I do!!!!
As for being on this thread, it's like deja vu all over again, isn't it? We'll get each other through. Come on, we're sooooo close to our goals...

RunbikeSki 02-29-2012 10:24 PM

Hi Hope,
Great to see you posting again. I am sooo sorry the fibro just won't let you go. I really cannot imagine what you are going through, but you are truly inspirational in not letting it get the better of you!

RunbikeSki 03-01-2012 12:45 PM

Week 1 weight: 139.4

So I got the drill yesterday:
NO Grains, that is no bread, crackers, or cereal of any kind this week
NO Rice, brown, wild or white
NO Pasta of any kind including Dreamfields and other protected carb foods
NO Potatoel
And of course absolutely no sweets
NO Corn of any type which includes tortillas (low carb included)

Breakfast: eggs or plain yogurt (some fruits allowed)
Snack: apple or orange (required)
Lunch: meat (~5 oz) and salad
Snack: nuts (this will be a bit tricky as nuts are a trigger food. I'll have to keep the serving under control)
Dinner: meat and veggies.

Beans are allowed and the list of dairy is pretty short. No cheese this week.

And the usual: Lots of water, and brewed tea.

So that's this week.

Although keeping track of calories isn't really part of the program, I'll definitely do so anyway.

canary52 03-01-2012 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 74577)
Hi Hope,
Great to see you posting again. I am sooo sorry the fibro just won't let you go. I really cannot imagine what you are going through, but you are truly inspirational in not letting it get the better of you!

It's great to see you too!!! I wouldn't say I don't let it get the better of me but I try!!!!

You have always been inspirational to me, your active and interesting life and your kindness.

Out of curiosity, what program are you are? It's pretty well the way I SHOULD eat.

sjpisjabba 03-01-2012 05:09 PM

thanks for that link, there's some good tips in there i might try!

RunbikeSki 03-02-2012 04:53 AM


Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 74632)
It's great to see you too!!! I wouldn't say I don't let it get the better of me but I try!!!!

You have always been inspirational to me, your active and interesting life and your kindness.

Out of curiosity, what program are you are? It's pretty well the way I SHOULD eat.

Ahh shucks, thanks for the complement :o

I think the program is basically Atkins, but there are clearly some modifications made by the doctor who is directing this challenge. I am not totally versed on the details of the various low carb approaches, but I think the doctor is using his experience to gleen the best for each of them, without sticking to any one in particular.

Today was succesful - not with out struggles - but I stuck to it even though we had a "manditory" pot luck for some muckity-mucks visiting from the Washington Office.

dear_abby 03-02-2012 12:42 PM

Good luck with your "mandatory potluck" Pam! And Canary is right you are an inspiration.

A depression that has been gnawing at me for two weeks broke today - I really have no specific explaination, but, I was sitting on the subway, and thinking about buying an egg white veggie snack wrap - they are a slightly decadent but not killer treat I get when I convince myself I deserve a treat. I walked towards Dunkin Donuts, and a homeless man said "hello sweetheart" - normallly somewhat offensive, but somehow, he seemed so good, and there but for the Grace of God go I. I gave him the money I was going to spend on my treat, and my depression left with it. It is a miracle, well documented, when you give you get.

And, you all are such givers, thank you for your help!

Abby

nottango 03-02-2012 01:24 PM

What a great story Abby! I am always looking for ways to "pay it forward" to combat depression - and my tendancy toward introversion.

RunbikeSki 03-02-2012 03:50 PM

Mary, what a wonderful story to get me started and out of my mild funk. I agree, I am a firm believer in karma, what-goes-around-comes-around, God blesses the generous... whatever you want to call it.

Thank-you for sharing that perfect reminder that it is the little things that keep the light shining.

canary52 03-02-2012 04:43 PM


Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 74739)
Good luck with your "mandatory potluck" Pam! And Canary is right you are an inspiration.

A depression that has been gnawing at me for two weeks broke today - I really have no specific explaination, but, I was sitting on the subway, and thinking about buying an egg white veggie snack wrap - they are a slightly decadent but not killer treat I get when I convince myself I deserve a treat. I walked towards Dunkin Donuts, and a homeless man said "hello sweetheart" - normallly somewhat offensive, but somehow, he seemed so good, and there but for the Grace of God go I. I gave him the money I was going to spend on my treat, and my depression left with it. It is a miracle, well documented, when you give you get.

And, you all are such givers, thank you for your help!

Abby

beautiful story. talk about inspiration.

RunbikeSki 03-05-2012 01:58 AM

Hi all you losers!
I managed to get through the weekend pretty well. Definitely hit the calorie goal and didn't eat any serious no-no foods like white bread, potatoes, or pasta. But I did have a some cheese (I think it is off the list for the first week, but not in subsequent weeks), and I suspect there was a little sugar in the salad dressings, and dry roasted nuts. I also indulged in a small Dove Chocolate, but who can blame me for that :D .

I hope everyone managed OK, with no real disasters, but if so. Tomorrow is a brand new shiney week!

kimbur96 03-05-2012 02:52 AM

Well I had been way overdue for a cheat day on the diet and today was it. Went to dinner with some friends to and Italian restaurant and man did i cheat :D I actually feel a little uncomfortable now. I don't think my body knows what to do with so much fat intake at once. But i had been eating super clean for at least two probably three weeks so it was well deserved. Now it's back to eating clean for another couple of weeks.

canary52 03-05-2012 10:28 AM

I went off these past few days, I'm not gonna lie, but hope to come back on board. As Pam says, new week, new start!! And Pam you did GREAT. And Kimbur you deserved a cheat. I hear you about the fat intake though. I have noticed that in recent years my body has a hard time processing lots of fat, must be telling me something... Hmmmmmm...

nottango 03-05-2012 11:15 AM

Good morning. My favorite time of day - enjoying coffee before the kids wake up.
I was just putting in the data for yesterday - ALL of it. I let myself get too hungry, and then ate too much. I'm not recording what the scale said this morning, but am still hoping to be under 140# by Wednesday. I tell myself that it's good to go over calories some days to "keep the body guessing". I know in the past I've starved myself to lose weight, and it does not work. Slow and steady, right?

dear_abby 03-05-2012 02:16 PM

Unlike Pam, I did not get through the weekend OK, there was even fried chicken involved – definitely got into what my mother calls “sheep as a lamb” (ie: You might as well get hung for stealing a sheep as for only taking a lamb) – once I started eating badly, it snowballed! But, as as a wise woman stated “today is a shiny new week” . Canary – you and I must be on the same wavelength for this!

I had an amazing run yesterday, but I must get a watch – I had limited time, and thought I had used it up, turned out I could easily have gone 10 minutes longer, and I did have the energy for it.
Kim, celebrating with friends for a long time is why I’m doing this, and I don’t intend to give it up, just to be healthy enough that I can enjoy it!

Nottango – slow and steady is the only way we’re going to make it!

Today will be good behavior all day!

RunbikeSki 03-05-2012 06:02 PM


Originally Posted by kimbur96 (Post 75009)
Well I had been way overdue for a cheat day on the diet and today was it. Went to dinner with some friends to and Italian restaurant and man did i cheat :D I actually feel a little uncomfortable now. I don't think my body knows what to do with so much fat intake at once. But i had been eating super clean for at least two probably three weeks so it was well deserved. Now it's back to eating clean for another couple of weeks.

If you are going to indulge in an "off diet" meal it might as well be a great meal. Well planned and well deserved. ;)


Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 75034)
I went off these past few days, I'm not gonna lie, but hope to come back on board. As Pam says, new week, new start!! And Pam you did GREAT. And Kimbur you deserved a cheat. I hear you about the fat intake though. I have noticed that in recent years my body has a hard time processing lots of fat, must be telling me something... Hmmmmmm...

The first week is always the easiest - the resolve is still strong. We'll see how the next 3 weeks go. I have found that I am much more successful when I set short term, but intense goals. Setting a general goal like "I want to be 125# by July" doesn't really work for me, I'll just put off the hard work until tomorrow. Setting the goal of taking the month of March to temporarily clamp down on the diet, sacrifice a few of my favorite foods, and maintain discipline works for me. Mostly because my eating habits are pretty good to begin with (thanks to several years of train via FitDay and all my cyber-buddies:p)



Originally Posted by nottango (Post 75036)
Good morning. My favorite time of day - enjoying coffee before the kids wake up.
I was just putting in the data for yesterday - ALL of it. I let myself get too hungry, and then ate too much. I'm not recording what the scale said this morning, but am still hoping to be under 140# by Wednesday. I tell myself that it's good to go over calories some days to "keep the body guessing". I know in the past I've starved myself to lose weight, and it does not work. Slow and steady, right?

Yeah, that getting too hungry is real trouble maker. I really struggle trying to balance a little hungry and a small snack will do, against too hungry I want to empty the pantry into my mouth. Keep your eyes on the prize! 140#


Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 75051)
Unlike Pam, I did not get through the weekend OK, there was even fried chicken involved – definitely got into what my mother calls “sheep as a lamb” (ie: You might as well get hung for stealing a sheep as for only taking a lamb) – once I started eating badly, it snowballed! But, as as a wise woman stated “today is a shiny new week” . Canary – you and I must be on the same wavelength for this!

I had an amazing run yesterday, but I must get a watch – I had limited time, and thought I had used it up, turned out I could easily have gone 10 minutes longer, and I did have the energy for it.
Kim, celebrating with friends for a long time is why I’m doing this, and I don’t intend to give it up, just to be healthy enough that I can enjoy it!

Nottango – slow and steady is the only way we’re going to make it!

Today will be good behavior all day!

I saw your run on the exercise thread - very nice. Ummm, how do you function without a watch? I have often wondered how that works???

I haven't heard or seen the "sheep as a lamb" quote in a longtime - how appropriate. Once I start with a bad decision, I just kind of give up trying to maintain my resolve.

canary52 03-05-2012 06:10 PM

Pam, I think you are right about the goals. I think I must have had "125 by my birthday" as a goal for the past ten years!!!

RunbikeSki 03-05-2012 09:24 PM

I must admit that I am particularly fortunate in having a lot more control over my life than many people do. It does give me the freedom shift priorities around and focus on a special project from time to time, without having to ask permission or impact anyone else (for the most part).

We never had children, my marriage is stable, work is complicated and stressful at times, and being a scientist I never really leave it at work, but I can pretty much call my own shots regarding hours and daily tasks.

I am in awe of the women here that manage to maintain a household of kids, a partner (or not), dogs and other misc pets, various daily crises not of their own making, more often than not work, and still manage to lose weight.

My hat is off to you all!

dear_abby 03-06-2012 12:17 PM

Well put Pam, while I've almost never heard a parent regret having children, the freedom of my life without them is a great gift. I can't imagine how people cope with that much more responsiblity!

Abby

nottango 03-06-2012 01:33 PM

Thanks guys! I found myself a single mom of 2 - something I never thought would happen to ME. The stress is overwhelming at times - I don't make enough $, I worry constantly about the kids, and can't keep up with the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc...
I look at my morning jog as my time to focus on ME - and as my health ASSURANCE because I can't afford health INSURANCE since my salary is $20,000 LESS than what I made before my last job was eliminated.
I work at a nursing home, where it is blatantly obvious that people who don't take care of themselves when they're my age end up sick and miserable in a few short years!

jonjaxmom 03-06-2012 02:32 PM

Abby, I can tell you EXACTLY how we cope... the laundry piles HIGH, the dust bunnies GROW, and the dirty dishes stay in the sink WAAAAY longer than I want them to! LOL

I've got two boys 10 and 8, who play a variety of sports all year long. We never stop moving. I admit there are days where I get a bit jealous of my kid-less friends who are able to manage workout schedules, classes and food menus WAY better than I can. BUT, you are right... I wouldnt trade my life with anyone elses. I love the little world. My family means everything to me. The boys are a big motivator to me, to keep on keeping on with my journey to better health.

megan5555 03-07-2012 02:50 AM

Who's got just 10-15 pounds?
 
Well more like 20 to lose, but I want to be 125 or maybe even 120....that might be a stretch. Would like to join you all! Have been trying to lose this weight since I had my son, 5 years ago....... I used to always be under 125 yikes and now I'm 145!

RunbikeSki 03-07-2012 03:18 AM


Originally Posted by megan5555 (Post 75251)
Well more like 20 to lose, but I want to be 125 or maybe even 120....that might be a stretch. Would like to join you all! Have been trying to lose this weight since I had my son, 5 years ago....... I used to always be under 125 yikes and now I'm 145!


Welcome aboard Megan,
5,15, 20 who's keeping track? Oh yeah, we all are :p. We'll do a weigh in tomorrow. It is definitely not manditory, but some of us like to do the weekly posting to keep on track.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:12 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.