Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 9/5 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 9/5

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 9/5

Old 09-08-2011, 03:09 PM
FitDay Member

@Cassie I made it!! Did you get through your crazy day in one piece? How'd those burritos work out?

@Rose ah, an expat—schweet! So what kind of work do you do that took you to England for 3 months? And my recording session went really well today, thanks! It felt GREAT to be back in a studio again It felt even better when I'd record a section, and the director would say, "Well, you nailed that! Give me one more read just for the sake of variety." BOOYAH!! I'm sure the scale was kinda discouraging, so do what I do and just stay off it! {G} Remember, lean muscle mass weighs more than fatty tissue, so as you burn fat and build muscle, your weight might not change much. If your clothes feel looser, you're definitely making progress, so just keep at it! (Just FYI, that's one of the reasons I haven't set a weight goal for myself so much as a size goal)

@Mern good for you, sticking to your guns like that! I especially applaud you for offering better ideas than what's currently being done (not that that would be hard—kids darting between two drop-off lanes?? YIKES!), that was something my dad kinda hammered into us when we were kids: "Don't tell someone their idea stinks unless you've got a better one" I sure hope that principal does more than just "consider" your suggestions, geez!

@Carly before I let work take over my life (I've remedied that situation!) and got out of the habit of using them (and then messed up my foot), I had two dance DVDs that I loved—totally different styles of dance, totally different workouts: 1) Ballet Conditioning with Elise Gulan and 2) Dance Off the Inches: Hip Hop Party with Jennifer Galardi. And I don't care what style it is, anyone who tries to tell you that dancers aren't athletes has never been a serious dancer!

@Mike welcome back! House hasn't floated away, I take it…?

@Amy I know what you mean about aching all over when the weather changes—I swear I'm a frigging human barometer, GAH. We've got a front moving in right now as well—hope that front of yours passes through soon so you feel better quickly!

My daughter started her hip-hop class yesterday—she's having a blast, and it's killing me that I can't dance with her because I'm still nursing this stupid tendinitis! BUT my ultrasound therapy unit came today, so I'll start using that and see how much it helps.

Aside from my recording session, one of the other things that kept me so busy today was a visit from a home health nurse to do a physical for me and hub as part of our applications for life insurance (we've decided to just carry our own policies, for a variety of reasons). Quick and dirty vitals from my physical today: body temp is normal (knew that), weight hasn't changed (BLAST! but I expected that), BP is still in the optimal range (woohoo!), and…are you ready for this?? my resting heart rate is down to 80bpm!! that's a 12% improvement in just 2 weeks!! If I could still turn cartwheels, I would have! LOL I can't tell y'all how happy I am about that—at this rate I should make my current health/condition goal ahead of schedule, W00T!!

After being so busy today, I'm going to go veg for a bit and watch the season finale of Burn Notice with hub. Y'all have a good night! xoxo
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Tanya, glad to hear you did! I made it, too! I had a few no-shows and even with them, it was still really busy; I can't imagine how it would have been if everyone showed up. I had a lot of computer-based frustration today; it took up so much time, grr! The burrito place was PACKED and by the time we got there (8:00) I was so hungry I was ready to chew off an arm, so we went elsewhere and I had a grilled chicken on wheat...safe. Made my macros a little better, too .

Rose, truly a bummer about your scale, but just hold your head up and remember that it doesn't reflect the hard work you've put in. You might just be fighting a nasty plateau and your body just doesn't want to give it up...or any of a million reasons. Keep it up and I promise you will see results. You are one of the hardest working people I know! You've got it coming!

Mern, good for you, sticking up for your standards. What are they gonna do, argue with someone who wants to keep her kids safe? That would make them look really stupid! Maybe common sense will dawn on them. My son's school in kindergarten did it that way and it was crazy, crazy. However, the lane you were in depended on the direction from which you approached the school, so we were always in the curb lane. His other elementary, middle, and high schools all have one lane, and let me tell you, watching those high schoolers drive does not make me feel very secure! But that's a story for another time. I hope that the school year itself is going well, and I hope you're taking some time for yourself because you've gotten very very busy!!

My report...a bit of slippage but overall so far so good this week!

1. Calories capped at 1300. 1275, 1278, 1295, 1299 (seriously)
2. Follow my pie chart rules (a reasonable macro balance, 25 g fiber, unsat fat twice the percentage of sat fat). Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
3. Sleep at least 7 hours per night. Yes, Yes, Yes, No
4. 72 oz. water daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
5. Exercise 6 times. Yes, Yes, Yes, No
6. Do shoulder rehab exercises daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
7. Log everything. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
8. Post daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

Have a happy Friday, everyone! I have court but hope to be on in the afternoon to hear about the booze cruise!!!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 09-08-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I predicted a week or 2 ago that the Saints would lose this one.
But they made it interesting to the end! Since I don't have a dog in this fight: Good job Saints and well done GB.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mommiepretty
@Rose ah, an expat—schweet! So what kind of work do you do that took you to England for 3 months? And my recording session went really well today, thanks! It felt GREAT to be back in a studio again It felt even better when I'd record a section, and the director would say, "Well, you nailed that! Give me one more read just for the sake of variety." BOOYAH!! I'm sure the scale was kinda discouraging, so do what I do and just stay off it! {G} Remember, lean muscle mass weighs more than fatty tissue, so as you burn fat and build muscle, your weight might not change much. If your clothes feel looser, you're definitely making progress, so just keep at it! (Just FYI, that's one of the reasons I haven't set a weight goal for myself so much as a size goal)
Thanks Tanya! I really appreciate the advice. I know I should have stayed off the scale, it's just that I felt my jeans had gotten so much looser and even my bra got bigger on me so I was sure there would be a drop. I think that you are right about staying off the scale. I do better when I take measurments, because I have more results. I'll look for a measuring tape on the weekend.

As for work, I am an film/TV editor. I mostly edit documentaries, as of late, I have been doing a lot of National Geographic and Discovery so I am here in England editing a documentary that is a co-production between the UK and Canada. I will let you know when it airs, if you're interested. In the edit suite, I often record "scratch" tracks of narration. Sometimes I use my own voice and other times it's the director. One of the Discovery shows I edited a few years ago had William Shatner as narrator and it was pretty funny actually. He was kind of a diva. Anyway, I think that's so cool that you do voice over! Oh ya, and CONGRATS on lowering your resting heart rate!!!! How amazing is that?!!! Way to go!!!

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Rose, truly a bummer about your scale, but just hold your head up and remember that it doesn't reflect the hard work you've put in. You might just be fighting a nasty plateau and your body just doesn't want to give it up...or any of a million reasons. Keep it up and I promise you will see results. You are one of the hardest working people I know! You've got it coming!
Thanks Cassie! I notice a pattern now with my weight loss. When I suddenly gain 3-5 pounds by being really bad (like I had been the first 2 weeks I was here in the UK) I lose it again quite quickly and then I plateau. Then I go for weeks with minimal to no movement on the scale. Still, even when the scale starts moving, my weight loss is so slow that I get discouraged and eventually I figure, what the hell, this isn't working anyway and I fall off the wagon. I guess I have to really try and push forward to see what happens in the long run. I think my best bet is to stay off the scale in between weigh-ins and only weigh myself once a week at most. Anyway, I appreciate your encouragement so much! I do work hard. I just need to stay on track for longer than a couple of months at a time. Way to go on your goals this week, btw. You are smoking!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 PM
FitDay Member

@almeeker Thank you for the advice on the carbs. Will start that tomorrow. It is really hard here because food options are so limited. Will also look for Bob Harper!

@ Tanya Thanks also for the advice on the dance movies!

@ Rose very jealous that you go to spin class, keep it up! You can burn sooo many calories doing that! It is one of the things I miss the most here. Thinking about trying to build my own spin bike here, but that might take a lot of time.

If anyone is looking for a challenging and monotonous, but calorie burning workout try the rowing machine (erg) at your local gym! Helps to build muscle too! Also, not sure how people here feel about weightwatchers, but a few years ago both of my parents went on it and lost 100lbs combined in only a few months. I think alot of their success was because they did it together. Any time I would go home and look on the shelves or in the fridge all I found was yogurt and pretzels.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:01 AM
FitDay Member

yesterday was an ok day, i still really got to work on changing my food habits again.

thursday report

Health Goals:
1. 3 Bottles of water (3 cups of water for the bottle i use): Yes!, yesno (only 2),yes
2. wii fit 30mins everyday.noyes, yes,no
3. 10,000 steps everydaynoyes, yes, no ( but close was over 9000)
4. no going out for food this week:yesno, no ( had alot of take out food yesterday ), again no (shame on me)

Life Goals:
-finish up commissions noyes worked on some stuff breifly,no, no
-start going through stuff for moving no,no,no ( but found out probably won't be moving till november so i probably won't do any till next month)
Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Woo whoo it only took me 9 days to gain 6.8 pounds. That's what happens when you party like a rock star. I'm at 175.8, I'm sure it's mostly water weight so I'll be back down soon, by Wednesday is my prediction.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Geez, this week has been so crazy -- I apologize if I miss catching up with anyone!!

Rose: Having your friend will only be a boon for you I think Chase away any lonely-blues you might be having and give you a reminder of yourself if you need it. I hope she feels better soon!! Sorry about your scale - it's just being stubborn at this point!!!! Just keep paying attention to your clothes and confidence and don't give it the satisfaction of letting you down

Tanya: You're very far from a failure girl, you're workin' it!

CJT: Welcome!

Mern: That school problem sounds terrible; I hope that they get it fixed soon for everyone's safety!

Amy: I hope you and DH have a lovely time at the booze-cruise party - let us know how you did!!

Mike: If you partied like a rock star, does that mean we get to see pics?

Wednesday and Thursday Report Card

Food/Exercise/Lifestyle Goals

1) Achieve an average between 1200-1400 calories for the week (no single day over 1600) M: 1,279 T: 1,141 W: 1,793 Th: 1,308 (Week Average: 1,380.25)
2) Zumba and/or 30DS 3-4 times. Extra sparkly stickers if I work out 5 times. M: Zumba Cardio Party T: Day off W: Unplanned Day off Th: Unplanned day off
3) Achieve a deficit of at least 5,000 calories M: -1,196 yeah baby! T: -717 W: -65 Th: -550 (Week Total: - 2,528)
4) 80 oz. of water daily M: yes T: no (64) W: yes Th: no (48?)
5) Eat a serving of fruit or vegetables with every meal M: yes T: yes W: No Th: No
6) Average 30% protein on the pie chart for the week M: 30% T: 34% W: 11% Th: 12% (Week Average: 21.75%)
7) No more than 2 lunches and 2 dinners out M: Lunch out T: No eating out W: Lunch out Th: Dinner out (Total 2 Lunches, 1 Dinner)

Other Life Stuff

1) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: Halfway T: halfway W: Yes Th: yes
2) Tackle the mending pile (this didn't get done last week) M: D'oh! T: not yet - Thursday? W: No Th: No
3) Remember to take some "time out time" for myself every day - an hour where I've got some solitude to wind down and relax M: yes T: yes W: eh... Th: No
4) Book tickets this weekend for wedding! M-F: N/A
5) Get some cross-stitching done - maybe post pictures for encouragement! M: None done T: None done W: No Th: No

Sorry for being MIA everyone

Well, the numbers basically speak for themselves - Wednesday was a bad day, and Thursday I didn't get a chance to recover. On Wednesday, my plans for a really light dinner were spoiled because I had to stay at work until 9:30pm -- BF, being a sweetheart, cooked me dinner to greet me when I got home, and it was comfort food (chicken alfredo). I managed to stay within my calorie bounds on Thursday, but they were a lot of empty calories, and I've had two carb-heavy days. I'm feeling it today - I'm really sluggish, and I have yet another long day of work ahead of me.

It's kind of amazing how you can feel one way at the beginning of the week, and by the end I'm just completely disgusted with work and feeling like I need a vacation. Ugh. I'm going to do my damndest to keep my concentration up, but it's going to be a long day. Hopefully, I can have a BIDIA day. I think I'm most upset that I haven't worked out - but between work, providing rides to TWO grad students (one was in an accident, one has the broken toe), aiding with a grant-writing process, cleaning, and people demanding me socially (haha, which shouldn't be a problem, but is right now -- a dear friend is bipolar and is in a depressive incident, and suddenly I am apparently the life of the party and getting asked to do things I don't want to do all the time!), I'm just really beat and missing my me-time.

The fun is going to continue tonight- I have to get groceries, my family wants a Skype date, BF has been complaning that we haven't been spending time together, and going over to broken-toe-grad-student's house to help her do laundry (because doing laundry sucks when you live alone and are on crutches), I don't know when I'm going to get my workout in. I'll have to try, somehow.

Ugh.

If any of you have any extra strength and motivation to spare, send 'em my way! I know these problems are small in the scale of things, but I guess in the end I'm feeling like my life this week has been a series of obligations rather than MY life. Happens to us all, right?

Happy Friday!
~Terri

Last edited by taubele; 09-09-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:21 AM
FitDay Member

Health/Fitness
1. 80oz water daily T: No, W: No, Th: No,
2. 3500 calorie deficit for the week T: -25W: +34, Th: -220 Week total -221
3. 30 min workout on Weds-Sunday T: N/A, W: 40 min, Th: 40 min, F: no,
4. lunch walks if not raining (supposed to all week though) T: rain, W: rain, Th: rain, F: rain
5. Quit stuffing junk in my mouth T: a bit better, W: noTh: somewhat better,

Life
1. Listen when my youngest son talks (even though it will be about video games) T: yes, W: yes, Th: yes,
2. Laundry daily T: nope, W: nope, Th: 3 loads!
3. Clean something everyday to have less to do on the weekend T: nope, W: nope, Th: nope
4. Fish tank cleaning this weekend Tues-Fri: N/A
5. Strip bathroom border & prep any holes for painting Tues-Fri: N/A

You guys are all kicking my butt this week. I can't seem to find my groove. I think I am tired. When I am tired I seem to be hungrier and for all the wrong things. So this morning instead of staying up when the hubby went to work to work out I went back to sleep for an hour. I must say I felt much better when I woke back up and I have been able to work all morning without finding something to snack on. Lunch time is in a few minutes so I'm good Also it is a very busy day today so the time is flying by.

We got our first roof estimate yesterday. Well, he was out to assess the damage and will email it by Tuesday. Definitely rain/wind damage is the cause. Looks like 3 sheets of plywood and reshingle that whole side of the roof on the outside then patch and repaint my sons bedroom ceiling and we will be good to go. I have 2 more estimates to get too. We are probably going to do the ceiling inside ourselves as our deductible. I do all of our painting anyway. What's one more ceiling. I will coat it with KILZ before painting though.

Congrats to all of you who are rocking it this week! And to anyone struggling like me...we'll get them next week. No sense in letting what we have done so far go to waste!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

School drop-off and pickup system unchanged; kids still darting between cars with engines running despite my phone call to the principal on Tuesday with three very simple suggestions on how that could easily and totally avoided. I refused again today when directed to enter the "car dodging lane", stayed in the curb lane, shook my head "no" and held up a new "LEFT LANE DANGEROUS FOR KIDS" sign.

Amy, I hope you and DH had a great time and are recuperated from the booze cruise. Boy, you are going to have a ton of canned "eats" over the winter. I hope your family appreciates all the work you do!

Carly, I've seen people on the rowing machines at my gym and they were sweating buckets! I've heard good testimony from people who do Weight Watchers, too. There are so many good ways to lose weight--nice to have all the options.

Yunalee, an OK day is much better than a totally sucky day. Give yourself credit for all you accomplish.

Mike, that must be a record--regaining 6.8 lbs. in nine days. It must be mostly water despite your bad boy Blizzards. You'll get it off quickly--I'm convinced of that.

Tanya, congrats on the good life insurance physical--pretty awesome! Wow, your voice over work sounds really interesting. Hip-hop class really sounds like fun for your daughter.

Rose, wow, Nat'l Geographic, Discovery, Wm. Shatner (and I'm not surprised to learn he acts like a diva. LOL) Wonderful that your friend arrived--hope she has a speedy recovery. How long will she be there?

Cassie! All those blue yesses in your report! Woohoo! You go girl!

April, congrats on your workouts exceeding your goal both Wednesday and Thursday. You, too--be sure to give yourself credit for all your accomplishments. And I'm jealous--taller people certainly do carry their excess weight better than we short people do. Congrats on the workout routines you put together from magazines. That's awesome!

Terri, my heart goes out to you. It looks as if life is getting in the way of your progress. Your multitude of "small" (look quite big enough to me!) problems really can add up to a major funky mood plus serious deprivation of ME time. I hope you can MAKE yourself some quality ME time this weekend. Big hug to ya!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.