Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Old 05-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Checking in:

1. Limit calories to 1200* (average). 1184, 1208
2. Exercise in some form or fashion 7 times. Weights, Cardio tennis
3. Drink 64 oz. water daily. Yes, Yes
4. Sleep 7 hours daily. 6.5, 6.5 (planned on more, but hubby was NOT packing quietly this morning!)
5. Take all vitamins & supplements. Yes, Yes
6. 5 fruits & veggies per day. Yes, Yes
7. Journal; I've got to figure out why I keep slipping! Yes, Yes
8. Log everything. Yes, Yes

9. Work on the Mom Cave. Yes, Not today
10. Catch up billing. Not today, Worked on it
11. Begin organizing photos. Not today
12. Smile more, bitch less . I wish; bad mood all day Yes

I started off today pulling on a pair of dress pants that were too tight On the other hand, that motivated me to have a day of good choices. I did eat one of the granola bars I made yesterday, but I chose not to eat any cannoli or pizzelles from yesterday, and turned down fries my co-worker offered me.

I'm still really dreading getting back on the scale Friday. I may wait till Sunday, at which point I at least won't be retaining water.

Julia, glad to see you back. Sorry about the WW thing; can you get it back? How are your wedding plans?

Nice job today for everyone else reporting in!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:13 PM
FitDay Member

Terri, nice all green on your other life stuff. As you say it was all delicious so now just focus on the rest of the week.

Almeeker, I would love some of that steak. Muffins and all you seem to be doing pretty good with your calories.

Quinn, so nice that you had a great day today, that feeling you want to bottle up sounds lovely, will be sure to remind you about if whenever you need to.

Mike, sorry to hear you were in pain yesterday, maybe that's why the grammar police did not show up.

Cassie, you are doing good on your calorie limit, well on everything else too. Hope you get your 7 hours tonight.

Julia, Hi, sorry to hear about your WW thing, maybe it's not too late??

Tuesday

1- Maintain a 1200 weekly average. 1214
2- Drink 3 L of water a day. Yes, No and unlike Mike I know I won't finish the half I am missing because I am too sleepy.
3- Exercise 5 times during the week. Yes, Yes
4- Organize photos. Got some done, Didn't.
5- Finish the report. No, No
Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie, I did Netflix workouts yesterday and today. Yesterday's is off the system as of 6/1/11, called something like "Cardio Dance party", today's was called "Killer Abs and Back" (an accurate title). I'm going to feel it in my abs tomorrow for certain. It's a little hokey in a 90's music techno sort of way, but there was nothing wimpy or hokey about the workout itself, 43 minutes of sweat. The guy is a bit of a character, he wears a silver eye patch and jokes around with the rep counting to the hot bodies behind him. The Cardio Dance Party was a good aerobic workout, but the woman only went through the moves once slowly before she went up to tempo, and there were some steps I just didn't get the first time through. I could probably have done it easily enough with a couple more tries, but it's gone this morning. Oh well.

Mike, we have grammar police? Crap. Hope your PITA heels up soon.

quinn, when you get that feeling bottled I could use a dose. I've recently discovered that "Smile more, bitch less" is a lot easier if my carbs are over 50%.

Julia sorry to hear about your WW membership. I would double check, maybe someone would be willing to overlook the lapse by a few days? Especially with a little demonstration of your calendar in hand.

Main I would gladly share some of the steak, if for no other reason than being able to get the door shut on the deep freezer. My parents were thinking that the steers were little, because they were only 18 months old, usually they go a full 2 years. Anyway my dad said something like that to the butcher who cracked up and said that they weren't little at all and he was really glad they hadn't let them grow for another 6 months. We split the smaller of the two with my nephew and his fiance, it dressed out a just under 600lbs, which means that it weighed about 1,200 lbs on the hoof. I thought the steers were small too, next to our bull they didn't look very big, but our bull weighs more than a ton.

Mern, oh mern where are you?

Terri, good job on hitting a good share of your goals. I hear you on the "oops" factor, hit that myself on Monday, which is not only a holiday around here, but DH's birthday as well.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:57 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie,

Nice job sticking to the 1200 calorie limit. It's tough to do, especially trying to get in all of the fruits and veggies. Nothing like a tight pair of pants, a fitting room mirror or a nightmare to shake us back into reality!

almeeker,

LOL I think I would be the kindest, loveliest person in the world on a diet of Big Macs, fries and malts. Yep... carbs make me one happy girl!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Food, Exercise, Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit through a combination of eating and exercise M: +144 T: -777 (Week Total: -633)
2) Do not skip exercise two days in a row. M: Day off T: Day off
3) Three "Cardio Days" and Two "Weights Days." M: N/A T: N/A
3) At least 120 oz. of water daily M: No (unless beer counts!) T: yes
4) Weekly carb average of 50% or less M: 38% T: 44% (Week Average: 41%)
5) Weekly protein average of 30% or more M: 24% T: 33% (Week Average: 28.5%)
6) Do not eat out more than twice for lunch and twice for dinner M: No eating out T: Out for Lunch (Total 1 Lunch, 0 Dinners)

Other Life Stuff:
1) Smile more, bitch less! M: Heck yes T: BF was TRYING my patience, but I was too tired to bitch.
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: yes (no makeup) T: yes (no makeup)
3) Journal or talk about my anxiety. Don't self-sabotage. M: Journaled T: Talked on phone with family
4) Read articles every day. M: yes T: no, but had an 11-hour procedural day.

OK, I can finally type more than 2 sentences, yay! Yesterday was a very long day at work; I got in a 7:30am and got out at 6:00pm. Used to be not too long ago in my grad student days that 11-hour-ish runs were fairly typical, but I've apparently grown soft and weak in my post-doctoral-hood, because I was tired! I won't get into the details except to say that 24 animals had to be sacrificed on a schedule. The lab ran pretty well-oiled in terms of getting the bulk done without my supervision or much aid, but I ended up spending my day running triage on blood collection and proper treatment and storage of blood, as a grad student got a little ambitious and wanted to do an experiment without actually knowing how to prep her samples Luckily, it was something I had done before and we managed to get it correct once I noticed what was happening.

Upset at myself that I didn't exercise yesterday!!! I got home early enough, and even though I was tired I could have at least had a non-cardio day. BF is sick with a terrible man-cold (by that I mean -- the cold itself isn't really bad, mostly a sore throat and aches with minimal coughing/sneezing/fever) but he is acting like it is the end of the world or something and he is going to DIE. He was completely useless on the couch, so I ended up making dinner, doing the cleaning and errands that had to be done that day, etc. It was one of those days I was thankful that I don't have any children, because I was dead-tired without having to worry about taking care of ANOTHER baby or two on top of the adult one. It's not an excuse -- I SHOULD have taken some me-time and that was a mistake -- but I did what I did, and I might as well just own up to it.

I couldn't even get up enough strength to be angry or annoyed at him yesterday; I think I just sort of sighed and did what I had to do. He has the day off from work today so hopefully he'll get his fill of moaning and groaning without me around to hear it. Our washer/dryer is being delivered this afternoon (YAY!!!!) and it's his job (man-cold or not) to clean out the area where it's to be placed (we current have things like the mop, broom, vacuum, ironing board, etc. stored in there) and to find a home for the things that are being displaced. If it gets done right I'll let his yesterday-behavior slide (not worth the fight) but if it becomes a hassle or it's unsatisfactory when I get home he's probably going to get an earful. I sincerely dislike when he makes a big deal out of a COLD (for goodness sakes) and he'd better shape up!!

I also found out that my grandfather is not doing too well -- he's not on death's door but has had the lingering effects of a bout of shingles from last summer bothering him a year later, with neuropathic pain, constant headaches and earaches, etc. It's making him not-eat and not-sleep. My family is having a HUGE celebration at the end of June for multiple birthdays (including mine, technically), plus my grandparents' 61st anniversary and my uncle's retirement from teaching, and my parents are going to pay for me to get up and see them all on the weekend of June 24th for the shindig. I'm very excited and anxious to go and see my grandfather, and the rest of my family I haven't seen in 2 years.

I'd LOVE to be down another 5-6 lbs. to 175 when I get there, so I'm making my mini-goal of 175 have a date of June 23rd, when I leave on the plane. It's OK if I don't quite get there, but I REALLY want to, and I think the deadline might push me (starting with today, when I WILL get to the gym!!)

Sheesh, sorry for the huge update! I just realized I typed a novel. I'll split my responses to all in a separate post to save you from an even bigger wall of text

~Terri
Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Main80: Haha, we'll see if my attitude lasts! I've been about the same weight for two weeks now - if it gets to three weeks I'm hoping I'll be able to keep it up. Three weeks seems to be some kind of benchmark for me - if I see an appreciable change every 3 weeks or so I'm happy. If not I tend to hit the panic button. But it will move and I won't get there!! Right???

Good luck on planning your cheat day - I'd rather plan them too then have them sneak up on me, if at all possible.

mhibidon: Congrats on using sparkly stickers and exceeding your goal, yaaaay!

Mern: Oh no, sorry to hear your mood and quality of life is being affected by all the tracking! I get that way too - if I get really anal about more than 2-3 things, I start feeling frustrated and like there's too much to control; thus, I risk giving up ALL control. And trust me, I say unbecoming things at the scale too - I just try to hold in the language when I type or write (or you all might think I have anger issues! )

Also, man, every time I see your reports they're awesome and green! If I'm feeling like I can't do something, or too tired, or too crabby or whatever, I'm going to say to myself that I want to be green like you!! You're inspiring! What are you up to today?

quinn: Happy to read you're feeling better now that things have settled down a little - it's amazing what some routine and quiet time can do, isn't it?

Mike: I hope you're feeling better! Any bad consequences from the lifting?

Julia: Welcome back!! Lovely to see you, I had been thinking about you and wondering how you were! Sorry to hear about the WW membership - maybe there's a grace period? Can you call someone in the group?

almeeker: I am strangely jealous of your side of beef being crammed in a fridge - I can't wait until the day when I can stock up like that, even if it came at a very inopportune time! I think Monday was an oops-holiday day for all of us. Looking forward to a stretch of year where there aren't a lot of holidays. (Uhh...August??)

Cassie:
Man, there's nothing like clothes to make you go -- I'm glad you used it as motivation instead of being angry at yourself or bad feelings! Way to go on that!! You'll be back into them in no time! Your goals look great so far!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Terri...love "man cold" and will have to add it to the lexicon! Question: If a sick man moans and there isn't a woman around to hear it, does he still make a sound? Just wondering. Hope your grandfather feels better soon...and that you enjoy your trip north toward the end of the month.

Thx for the exercise reviews, almeeker. It is blistering hot here and I'm looking for an indoor workout tonight!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Well I went to the chiropractor again today. They "shot film" on me (took X-rays) and he pointed out the issue The never area is compressed and with my nerve being inflamed I guess it's hitting and sending me to my knees. I did traction today and went on the rollers. He's still afraid to try to adjust me just yet... which is odd for me b/c I respond well to being adjusted, but this is a whole other animal. I felt a little relief today when I left but I got down on my knees to put something in my desk and it struck with vengeance! I feel like such a wimp, but then again I'm a man and according to women, we can't handle pain, right? Anyway I'm not going to let it be my excuse and keep me from eating right and being active.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 AM
FitDay Member

After seeing your comments on BF's cold I couldn't help myself, just had to send along this little verse from Ogden Nash:

Common Cold
by Ogden Nash

Go hang yourself, you old M.D,!
You shall not sneer at me.
Pick up your hat and stethoscope,
Go wash your mouth with laundry soap;
I contemplate a joy exquisite
In not paying you for your visit.
I did not call you to be told
My malady is a common cold.
By pounding brow and swollen lip;
By fever's hot and scaly grip;
By those two red redundant eyes
That weep like woeful April skies;
By racking snuffle, snort, and sniff;
By handkerchief after handkerchief;
This cold you wave away as naught
Is the damnedest cold man ever caught!
Give ear, you scientific fossil!
Here is the genuine Cold Colossal;
The Cold of which researchers dream,
The Perfect Cold, the Cold Supreme.
This honored system humbly holds
The Super-cold to end all colds;
The Cold Crusading for Democracy;
The Führer of the Streptococcracy.
Bacilli swarm within my portals
Such as were ne'er conceived by mortals,
But bred by scientists wise and hoary
In some Olympic laboratory;
Bacteria as large as mice,
With feet of fire and heads of ice
Who never interrupt for slumber
Their stamping elephantine rumba.
A common cold, gadzooks, forsooth!
Ah, yes. And Lincoln was jostled by Booth;
Don Juan was a budding gallant,
And Shakespeare's plays show signs of talent;
The Arctic winter is fairly coolish,
And your diagnosis is fairly foolish.
Oh what a derision history holds
For the man who belittled the Cold of Colds!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

I see you all have been really active since I last logged on. I gotta get caught up later today or tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you for your support while I whined about my saturated fat tracking driving me nuts. I just got back from a conference with my new doc and she was really helpful. I don't feel any healthy eating lifestyle should be a burden like I was allowing mine to become. And doc did indeed lift that burden from me.

Doc said while 10% of calories from sat fat is a nice target for the general population, the 12% I can more easily achieve may be just fine for me. I had to chuckle-she was amazed that I was using a nutrition tracker that lists trace amounts of sat fat for even cucumbers and lettuce. She advised me to just count all my frozen low carb dark green veggies as zero sat fat (as the nutrition label states) unless I add some during cooking.

I don't have a problem--I just don't want to wind up on statin medication in the future like my siblings.

She also told me to take my two 1000mg fish oil capsules together after my evening meal because that's when it works best. Glad I asked.

Last edited by Mern; 06-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.