Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Old 06-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, I'm glad you got good answers to your questions. I don't think you were whining, not a little bit. Your discussion of the sat fat taught me something, and usually everything somebody brings up at least gets us thinking! Thanks for the update . I was wondering how it went.

I'm also glad for the info on the fish oil capsules. I'd been splitting mine into two doses, breakfast and dinner, because I know with other vitamins, there's a limit to how much the body can absorb at once. I guess it's different with fish oil, though, so good to know after dinner works best. Wonder why that is?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks, Cassie. You're so sweet.

Doc said to take both my fish oil capsules in the evening "because your body makes more cholesterol in the evening than during the day." I didn't ask how that works-- am not well versed in body chemistry, so didn't pursue it any further.

I did read something today I didn't know before. Our bodies use up 900 mg cholesterol per day--they make 600mg on their own--that's why we should eat only 300mg dietary cholesterol per day. Any surplus then adds up to high cholesterol. I'm guessing that 900mg is an average and that some people make more or less than 600mg on their own.

Last edited by Mern; 06-01-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mern, I read your 2nd post here but what's the reason for lowering your protein and saturated fat? I'm sorry if you already said it. I'll try to go back and read everything. I'm about to head out the door b/c I'm late for pool league.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 06-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

Wednesday Report Card:

Health & Fitness:

1. Keep calories for the week at 10,500 (Monday is a cheat day). 2,645, 1,526, 2,306 (total 6,477) this is starting to look like a really stupid goal for me.
2. Exercise 6 hours. 0 min, 57 min, 68 min this morning and I'm counting 1/2 of the 2:30 I spent pushing the rototiller (total 3:20)
3. Attempting at least 3 new workouts. N, Y, Y
4. Use elliptical at least 100 min. N, 20 min, N
5. Drink 96+ oz of water. Y, Y, Y
6. Average pie at 45/35/20. 46/18/37, 46/31/23, 50/17/33
[/COLOR]

Other stuff:

7. Get DDs registered for fair by June 1st , it's JUNE people!!! NO, We picked up the book and found out registration is due June 10th, Whew. NO,
8. Get DDs to finish at least 1 4-H project. A little bit of progress, baby step, baby step
9. Take kids out for some sort of activity 2X. One has a friend over and DH took them to the movies. Went to the park and then let them get out the summer soak toys. Went to the farm and then swim club practice.
10. Get garden started. Too wet, Ditto, Spent 2 1/2 hours with the rototiller.
11. Weed flower beds at least 2 hours. N, N, N
12. Housekeeping
Monday, holiday
Tuesday, Upstairs bathroom, hallway, stairwell, living room, laundry.
Wednesday, Kitchen, downstairs bathroom, DD's bedroom, laundry.
Thursday, DD's bedroom, dining room, laundry.
Friday, Master bedroom, Den, laundry
Saturday, basement, front porch, laundry
Sunday, 1 cupboard, 1 closet

We went out to the farm today so I could work on the garden, and I pushed that stupid rototiller for about 2 1/2 hours. My arms/back are going to scream come morning, there is no doubt about that. And to make it worse I did the "Killer Ab" workout this morning, which I'm also starting to feel. I had trouble keeping the calories in check, and strangely enough it was salty food that did me in. Normally it's something sweet, but today it was chips and cheese. Anyway, the good news is that I still have a deficit around 600 calories. Pushing that rototiller is a crazy workout, it might not be so bad but I have to push it uphill in both directions! JK, it only feels like uphill in both directions. That machine is a beast, it was easier to handle when I weighed more.

Oh, and I made a huge stupid mistake today. When I was growing up I learned to carve leather and I showed my work at the fair. Anyway to make a long story short, I taught my brother's boys how to do it and now my girls want to learn. So today we grabbed a bunch of leather carving tools out at the farm. Um, good grief what was I thinking? You carve leather with these little stainless steel tools that you hold against the leather and smack a bunch of times with a MALLET!!! I'm right this minute sort of wishing for deafness. Bang bang bang bang bang. OY I did not think that through good!!!

Last edited by almeeker; 06-01-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Well I went to the chiropractor again today. They "shot film" on me (took X-rays) and he pointed out the issue The never area is compressed and with my nerve being inflamed I guess it's hitting and sending me to my knees. I did traction today and went on the rollers. He's still afraid to try to adjust me just yet... which is odd for me b/c I respond well to being adjusted, but this is a whole other animal. I felt a little relief today when I left but I got down on my knees to put something in my desk and it struck with vengeance! I feel like such a wimp, but then again I'm a man and according to women, we can't handle pain, right? Anyway I'm not going to let it be my excuse and keep me from eating right and being active.
Well, we may give men a hard time for some things, but you get a pass with pinched nerve pain. Having had two children, and 3 bulged discs, I feel that I am qualified to say that severe nerve pain is equal to childbirth. Both are a solid 10. Traction helps me a lot. Glad to hear that you're going to your knees to pick things up, etc. A lot of people try to continue to bend from the waist. Just as habit now, even when I'm feeling good, I still go to one knee to pick things up or look in the oven, etc.

You have my permission to bitch and whine all you want because I know what it feels like.

It sounds funny, but a good stiff drink in the evening works wonders with nerve compression. (As long as you're not taking anything else.) Makes your muscles relax a little because you're so tense from being in so much pain. When the muscles relax, some of the compression is lifted from the nerve, a lot like how Flexeril works. Both muscle relaxants, I suppose.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quinn, a solid 10??? I always have to rate my current pain level even I check in and I put it at a 8. Now when my appendix was about to rupture several years back... I'd give that a 9 or so.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Well, we may give men a hard time for some things, but you get a pass with pinched nerve pain. Having had two children, and 3 bulged discs, I feel that I am qualified to say that severe nerve pain is equal to childbirth. Both are a solid 10. Traction helps me a lot. Glad to hear that you're going to your knees to pick things up, etc. A lot of people try to continue to bend from the waist. Just as habit now, even when I'm feeling good, I still go to one knee to pick things up or look in the oven, etc.

You have my permission to bitch and whine all you want because I know what it feels like.

It sounds funny, but a good stiff drink in the evening works wonders with nerve compression. (As long as you're not taking anything else.) Makes your muscles relax a little because you're so tense from being in so much pain. When the muscles relax, some of the compression is lifted from the nerve, a lot like how Flexeril works. Both muscle relaxants, I suppose.
I agree, nerve pain is serious pain, feel free to bitch and medicate as necessary.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Quinn, a solid 10??? I always have to rate my current pain level even I check in and I put it at a 8. Now when my appendix was about to rupture several years back... I'd give that a 9 or so.
Yep. Solid 10. Like, "Don't come within 15 feet of my personal space" pain.
You'll know it when you feel it...

Oh, and I knew that you had had an appendectomy because your scar exactly matches my husband's! LOL
Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

*Wednesday*

Back To Discipline:
Food and Fitness

1. 1200 calories/day with the exception of Tuesday. (Son's birthday) 1150 plus a piece of cake. 777 (Long story.)
2. Walk two miles per day minimum, weather permitting. Two 2 mile walks. At least 3 miles.
3. LOG EVERYTHING! Yes, Yes
4. Take multivitamin, flax and vitamin E daily. Yes, Yes

Personal Baggage:

Not too much in this area this week. Just want to get through the last few days of school and then, hopefully, life will slow to a more manageable pace.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
FitDay Member

Mern,

Did you get a chance to see my post about flaxseed vs. flaxseed oil? Just wondering if they will give me the same results minus the fiber bonus. I keep reading conflicting reports.

Cassie,

I was thinking about your husband today...

No. Just kidding. Well, yes. I guess I was. I remembered awhile back that you mentioned that you were getting him to be more involved in healthy eating and exercise... Did you successfully get him to "convert"?

Just wondering... lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.