Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread 4/25/11

Old 04-29-2011, 07:25 AM
FitDay Member

Now I have to confess to lurking on this thread, because I love reading what you say to support each other, and I have to join the regional dialects discussion - people have a lot of trouble placing mine (New York, but a particular kind), but when they hear I am from Boston, I get asked to say "I parked my car in Harvard Yard" - the proper answer is "You cahn't pahk your cah in Havad yahd, unless Havahd is your employa!"

Abby
Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dear_abby
Now I have to confess to lurking on this thread, because I love reading what you say to support each other, and I have to join the regional dialects discussion - people have a lot of trouble placing mine (New York, but a particular kind), but when they hear I am from Boston, I get asked to say "I parked my car in Harvard Yard" - the proper answer is "You cahn't pahk your cah in Havad yahd, unless Havahd is your employa!"

Abby
And how!

Massachusetts native, born and bred, about 25 minutes south of Bahstan

My favorite is not necessarily the regional dialects, but the regional words. Boston has a lot of them I still use (a shopping cart is a carriage, a milkshake is a frappe, and a trash bin is a barrel. Oh, and sprinkles are totally jimmies!). I picked up some from New York (Long Island) too, since I lived there for 9 years. The one I've noticed the most is saying "singles" instead of "dollar bills" or "ones" -- people look at me funny a LOT when I say "Do you have any singles?" I think they think I'm trying to pick them up >.>

quinn: I love that he could pin it right down! That's amazing! And I'm glad you had a laugh with a relative stranger. Those sorts of days are the best days
Old 04-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by taubele
wait, I'm confused... I thought people were only "bred" in the south. Oh wait, that's something else, nevermind.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by taubele
And how!

My favorite is not necessarily the regional dialects, but the regional words. Boston has a lot of them I still use (a shopping cart is a carriage, a milkshake is a frappe, and a trash bin is a barrel. Oh, and sprinkles are totally jimmies!). I picked up some from New York (Long Island) too, since I lived there for 9 years. The one I've noticed the most is saying "singles" instead of "dollar bills" or "ones" -- people look at me funny a LOT when I say "Do you have any singles?" I think they think I'm trying to pick them up >.>

quinn: I love that he could pin it right down! That's amazing! And I'm glad you had a laugh with a relative stranger. Those sorts of days are the best days
Terri, the words are my fave, too (we said jimmies, btw; I'm from MD). The south was a whole new world. "Mash" for push, "buggy" for cart, "cut it on" or "cut it off," it's all too funny.

Mike, you'll have to give us a little Creole flavor sometime!

Quinn, are you doing another date night tonight, since it's Friday?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:46 AM
FitDay Member

Thursday Report Card

Health & Fitness Goals:

1. Eat clean and kept calories 1,350-1,600, 50 push-ups for days I'm over. 1,521, 1,514, 2,561, 1,569
2. Drink 96 oz of water. Y, Y, Y, Y
3. Exercise 6 hours. 0 min, 60 min, 60min, 60 min (total 3:00)
4. Calorie deficit of 3,500 for the week. -503, -959, +266, -838 (total -2,034)
5. Carbs 45% or lower, Protein 30% or higher. (55c/28p), (50c/30p), (53c/19p)(45c/24p)
6. Log food and report every day even weekends. Y, Y, Y, Y
7. Grain free 3 days. M-YES, T-YES, W-NO, T-YESW-NO

Non-Fitness Goals:

8. Get DD ready for State finals on Saturday. Y, N, Y, Y
9. Call the autobody place and set up appointment. N, N, N, But I did make an appointment to get the oil changed and the tires rotated, and will likely make the body shop appointment at that time.
10. Call my doctor's office and work out the prescription problem. N, N, N, N
11. Smile more, bitch less and (stealing from Crimpet) instantly drop into a 2 minute plank for infractions. NO,YES & NO, NO, YES
12. 1 hour of cleaning in the basement. N, N, N
13. Order more parts for the money pit, um I mean elliptical. N, N, YES!!!
14. Housework:
Monday: down-stairs bathroom, up-stairs bathroom, laundry
Tuesday: kitchen, stairwell, hall, laundry
Wednesday living room, bedroomlaundry
Thursday dining room, bedroom, laundry
Friday den, master bedroom, laundry
Saturday, State Finals, gone all day
Sunday, basement, cupboard, laundry

Believe it or not I've already posted this once today, maybe this time it will actually stick and I won't be MIA. I got up early this morning as usual, but instead of working out, I pulled out the pile of coupon fliers I had, got a pair of scissors, the sales ads, brewed a spot of tea and plopped down in front of the tellie for some royal wedding watching.

Mr. Screamy Pants was not too bad yesterday, he and I are learning how to jumble along together. I've also figured out that although he is colicky, he's also spoiled and that when he's crying sometimes he just wants to be picked up. I washed my Baby Bjorn carrier and now sometimes when he's being really rotten, I strap him into the carrier and wear him around the house for a while. Which is a serious workout, he's a chunky little man. Sometimes I sing that Moto Moto song from Madagascar, "You're so plumpy, you're so chunky, you're so roundy, you're so largely fine". Okay yes I know, I'm a dork, but people are willing to pay for that if you can harness it and package it up just right.

A large chunk of my dad's family lives in Boston, so I'm totally cracking up over the proper answer to "I parked my car in Harvard yard". I'll be sending that one to my cousin as soon as I log off here, I can already hear her cackle.

Now on the accent business, I've had people from various places try and pinpoint where I'm from, and I daresay that my hometown is so small that unless you grew up there or got really really lost (insert banjo strum here) you've never heard of it. And some how or another it was isolated enough to have it's own accent. In college, I was asked almost everyday where I was from, mostly by people from Michigan. Never mind that I'm also from Michigan. I've heard accents that are similar, Larry the cable guy comes to mind, as does Hannah Montana, and in the Colorado Rockies I sounded like a local. The other odd thing about where I'm from is that it produces a rather high volume of auctioneers. We talk fast, so fast that when DH and I visit the South he has to interpret for me, cause nobody south of Ohio can understand a word I speak.

Quin, isn't there lemon juice in a vodka sour? If you had 3 of them shouldn't your "fruits and veggies" for the day be higher than 2? Just a question. I'm cracking up that you can drink your husband under the table. I used to be able to hold my liquor we're Irish after all, but somehow between abstaining from alcohol during pregnancy and nursing for like I dunno 7-8 years and then losing a bunch of weight, I've become the cheapest date ever. 2 drinks and I'm laying under the table singing ballads to the ABC gum.

Cassie sorry to hear that you're injured. I hurt all the time, so I'm jealous that this is new for you. I'm a freakin' walking barometer, high pressure systems are my enemy, my knees are soooo much more accurate than that channel 8 weather team. There are a ton of exercises that you can do with a bad foot. One of the best is to get a pair of crutches, and stay off the foot until your arms hurt so bad you can't use the crutches anymore. Great upper body workout - seriously.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie,

Yes, Ma'am... last night was just practice. 65 degrees, sunny and gorgeous! Have to do something fun! Frozen yogurt, maybe??? (Saved my calories...) Now if they would come up with a frozen yogurt that tastes like a vodka sour... hmmm. I may be on to something there. Have a great evening everyone... or.... y'all... or whatever!!! lol

BTW, what does cut it on or cut it off mean???

almeeker,

That song is on my "walking music" section of my ipod!!! I LOVE that song!!! LOL I'll be out walking, all alone, and burst out laughing every time I hear it!

Last edited by quinnesec; 04-29-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Cassie,

Yes, Ma'am... last night was just practice. 65 degrees, sunny and gorgeous! Have to do something fun! Frozen yogurt, maybe??? (Saved my calories...) Now if they would come up with a frozen yogurt that tastes like a vodka sour... hmmm. I may be on to something there. Have a great evening everyone... or.... y'all... or whatever!!! lol

BTW, what does cut it on or cut it off mean???
Enjoy!

It means turn it on, or turn it off.

Our froyo place has pina colada (& 15 other flavors with new ones rotated in...but no whiskey sour yet!).
Old 04-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Terri, the words are my fave, too (we said jimmies, btw; I'm from MD). The south was a whole new world. "Mash" for push, "buggy" for cart, "cut it on" or "cut it off," it's all too funny.

Mike, you'll have to give us a little Creole flavor sometime!

Quinn, are you doing another date night tonight, since it's Friday?
y'all talk funny! For one, when we talk about jimmies... um... uhhhh, I won't go there.

The only thing I mash is a potato, b/c you wouldn't push one would ya? j/k Cassie.
I've heard people talk about mashing the gas pedal, and I'm like WTF?

I usually call it a cart, unless I'm riding on the front of it, then it's a buddy.

But in the south, it's a Coke. It doesn't matter if it's a Pepsi, RC Cola, Tab, whatever, they ask for a "Coke". The other thing that drives me nuts when it come to drinks, if they don't say "Coke" they want a "cold drink" aka "cole drank". What, a cole drank? What the hell? I don't want a Coke or a damn cole drank, I'll take a water. Speaking of water, I guess it's a southern thing when people talk about a hose pipe. I call it a hose.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 04-29-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 PM
FitDay Member

BTW glad your feaux-varies are a'healin' there Mike. So what do they bring you in the south if you order a sodie-pop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.