Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread 4/25/11

Old 04-26-2011, 02:01 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds like everyone is back on track. I did alright yesterday. With being so busy Monday, my eating was a little wonky. Raining today so I've run out of excuses to finish the prom dress...uck.

Food and Fitness:

* Eat clean and stay close to 1400 calories. Y
* Lots of water. Y
* 3-4 fruits and veggies a day. 2
* Limit breads and cereals. N

Personal Goals:

* Must finish beading prom dress for Saturday!!! Today
* Take a break from spring cleaning this week. Taking today off... back's killing me.
* Learn to relax! Tell myself it's ok to sit quietly and read or do nothing at all. I don't have to be "accomplishing something" all of the time. Stop feeling guilty about taking time off. Finishing the dress, then taking the day off with a heating pad.
* Present a positive attitude to others. Y
Old 04-26-2011, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Monday Report

Calorie limit 1600 1297
Calorie deficit 1037 (I include exercise calories burned) 1399
Carbs less fiber limit 35g 17.9
Protein target 120g 125.3

Artificial sweetener limit 1 pk. per day 0
Sugar free candy limit 1 piece per day 0

Water 64 oz. YES

Exercise 1/2 hr. 6 days YES
Old 04-26-2011, 02:19 AM
FitDay Member

almeeker,

My oldest was a "Mr. Screamy Pants". I remember going into the shower at night daily and crying because he had me so exhausted. The only thing that made him stop was the stroller or riding in the car. I spent an entire summer either walking or driving.

The good news was that the 65 lbs. that I gained during my pregnancy melted off because of all the stress and I was down to about 110 lbs. within a few months.

At least you can hand him back at the end of the day. As far as him growing out of it, my experience with my son was that he went from colic to terrible two's. I think it's just a personality thing. My daughter was laid back from day one and still is. My son was the exact opposite and required a very short leash right through high school.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 AM
FitDay Member

Quinn, thought of you this morning and your goal last week of "random acts of kindness while smiling". It was the usual hectic insanity that is getting 3 girls out the door on time for school. We live on a very busy corner and if we don't leave at 7:45 we hit the "running late to school" crowd, who are never very nice about letting me back out of the drive. This morning we piled into the car at 7:51, so there I sat waiting while a line of traffic built up at the corner. All of a sudden there was an opening created by a woman in a large red SUV who was intentionally blocking both lanes, so I backed out and pulled into the left turn lane. She pulled up beside me on the right and I waved and smiled and she waved and smiled back. And so now I'm looking for a way to pay it forward. Sorry you have a sore back and a mandatory sewing project. If you lived in the neighborhood I would volunteer to do it for you, I happen to love a good beading project.

Julia, yes the baby is basically collicky, he's certainly one of the gassiest babies I've ever met, although I think some of the problem is that he's not on a schedule and since he has 4 separate care providers a schedule/routine isn't going to be easy to achieve. But his mom is open to the idea, so maybe we'll get him figured out soon.

cybervox, good luck to your chicken. I hope everything comes out alright. So just out of curiosity how does one cure eggbound? I'm a tiny bit Native American too, and when I was in England everybody there thought I was Irish (which I am, but the watered down American version). I have very typical Irish coloring, pale skin, freckles, blue/green eyes, and hair that isn't blond or brown or red but a mix of the 3. I don't know that my kids had the healthiest Easter, a friend of mine put money in the plastic eggs and made her own chocolate Easter bunnies with some sort of high anti-oxidant chocolate that she bought on-line. I am happy with the bike idea, although DH is still grumbling about the cost, even though it was in part his idea.

Mern, I don't know if bah-humbug is a Y chromasone thing, my dad is a lot more fun at holidays than DH. In fact dad is not only fun he's creative with it, years ago mom put him in charge of the holiday decorations and he's really quite good at it. We joke that he should have his own TV show, the funny part is that he's not the least bit feminine (think Larry the Cable guy, slightly better dressed, much shorter and in better shape). I imagine he could go toe to toe with Martha and have a larger audience (he's waaaayyyy funnier than Martha). DH gets his bah-humbug from his dad who is a big pile of poop for holidays, anything that costs money makes FIL nuts and sort of mean. Every now and then I have to remind DH that he's turning into his father and well quite frankly I don't find his dad the least bit sexy.

Mike, I have to agree with the rest of the ladies, you look pretty good in the video. Maybe before you do your day 90 video you'll find some time to straighten out the farmer's tan? Not that I'm offended by it mind you, around here a good farmer's tan is like a duck call to the single ladies that says, "owns shirts, gainfully employed", which is BTW very hot in a man of a certain age.

Last edited by almeeker; 04-26-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mike: I echo that I think you look great, but if you're not happy, then do it to it! I look forward to your updates and your presence

Mern: I'm really trying my best not to think about it. I think this is going to be a difficult motivational week for me - as we say, it's easy to be motivated when things are going right. It's harder when you feel stuck. But I'll consider it a source of pride every time I push through and keep going! Your goals look GREAT! Boo on hubby for sighing at Richard Simmons!

almeeker: Sorry you didn't get your big squeal of happiness - girls are stubborn like that. But it seems like they really do appreciate the bikes, and that must be really satisfying! Sorry your hubby is bah-humbug about the holidays. BF is usually too, though I think that's because we're often traveling a LOT during the few days we get off - planes, trains, and automobiles. We're "the young couple with no children" so we usually have to lug to Massachusetts for my family for 2-3 days (and endure grumbles and guilt because 'we're not staying longer') and then rent a car and drive for 5 hours on Christmas Day to see HIS family in upstate NY, stay for two days, drive back to MA, and then fly home. Ugh. Bah humbug indeed! It really does ruin the holiday spirit when you're focused on the not-good details. I hope he lightens up!!! And I hope Mr. Screamy Pants does too!

kag: ooooh kittens! Have fun with them! The worst thing about kittens is they grow to be cats (Don't mind me, I'm not a cat person, haha, terribly allergic!)

Cassie: Sorry to hear you're struggling - I hope your Tuesday is better than your Monday!

Cybervox: Definitely, I know so much more now than I did a year ago. I know I'm either plateauing or dealing with water gain, but a year ago I would have been beating myself up over some mystery "bad thing" I did. Now I know I just need to keep being good, and good things will eventually happen. Also, good luck with your chicken! I'd like to know how you fix eggbinding too, never heard of a technique!

quinn: I hope you power through the prom dress! Good luck!

Monday Report Card

Food, Exercise and Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit by the end of the week M: -701 (Week Total: -701)
2) Do not take off two days in a row from exercising. M: Day off, though I did go grocery shopping
3) Achieve a 30% protein average for the week M: 38% (Weekly average: 38%)
4) Carbs at or below 50% average for the week M: 38% (Weekly average: 38%)
5) Protein powder after every workout in a smoothie M: N/A
6) At least 104 oz. water daily M: yes (120)
7) Report here each and every day M: Day after
8) Eat out/take out no more than twice for lunch and once for dinner M: Had take-out for lunch (Lunch Total: 1)

Other Life Stuff:
1) When stressed, don't take it out on myself, or anything that does not have to do directly with the source of the stress. Deal with it directly, even if I don't want to. M: Yes!
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: Yes
3) Work on my embroidery for at least five hours M: 1.5 hours (Week Total: 1.5 hours)
4) Don't worry, be happy! M: Mostly
5) Try two new recipes for dinner M: not yet

Having a stressful morning already, so my stress goal is going to be really important today. I know what the source of the stress is (Well, actually there are 2): Money, and an inspection tomorrow at work. Money is the really big stressor, so I am going to take the positive action of

A) Monitoring my account for a $168 rebate that should be there today, and if not, calling the company to ask what steps are being taken to get that money to me
B) Speaking with BF about the necessity of tight-wadding until my next paycheck (which is after rent, and a credit card payment). He tends to be more fast-and-loose with money than I am, but if I tell him I am strained, he'll usually hold off so that we can have a buffer with his paycheck (we don't have a joint account).

As for the inspection, I'm getting together with my lab tech this afternoon to make a checklist of things that need to be done and getting them done today.

I hate money stress. This is residual from when I had the cyst removed a couple of months ago; my insurance didn't cover it, and it was almost a $500 out-of-pocket expense between the co-pays and paying for the procedure itself. That $500 was going to go into savings and for paying off bills. But, I know that next month, TWO credit cards will be paid off in entirety, even without that $500 cushion. I just have to wait and try to be patient, and remind myself that I have everything I need today. Hopefully that works.

Looking forward to hitting the gym today too! Hopefully it will help with the de-stressing. I'm trying not to think about my current weight situation at all, but just living as healthfully as I can regardless of what the scale says (since I got on it AGAIN and it's not budging - in fact, I bounced back up another half a pound). Need to get off of the habit of weighing every day, which I tend to do when it's going badly. No scale until Friday.

Have a good Tuesday all!

~Terri
Old 04-26-2011, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

taubele, I soooo hear you on the money stress. DH has been grumbling his head off about money lately (maybe because he just dropped $500-600 for his summer golf league?). Drives me nuts, especially since I go through all kinds of hoops, watch screaming infants and walk places to save money. I feel like I'm doing all I can and then I have to listen to him grumble like I've been on a 3 spending spree on Rodeo Dr. or something. I spend about 1/3 of what my friends spend at the grocery store, I coupon, can stuff from the garden and wrangle cows to keep the grocery budget in check, and still he grumbles. Yesterday's financial complaint, I bought oldest DD a new bike helmet. Yes, seriously I think the $19.99 was well worth it especially for less than 1/2 of our ER co-pay, not to mention the cost of a brain injury. Ugh, men. Of course he didn't grumble about the helmet until I said that I wanted to send the girls to GS camp this summer and we would need to pay for that soon to hold a spot. He of course never went to camp (FIL is a big time tightwad), so he doesn't understand and he doesn't want to. It really seems like the less I spend the bigger of a tightwad DH gets to be. We can afford to send the girls to camp, I know to the dollar what we have in the bank. If he grumbles anymore, the girls have their own money and I'll be more than happy to take them down to the bank to make the withdrawal. Phooey on him. Also I should admit that since I'm a SAHM, I'm sensitive about the fact that he makes most of the money we have. It also sort of pisses me off, because seriously what I'm doing day in a day out is a whole lot harder than his job. And I know what I'm talking about, I've done his job, we met at work.

Last edited by almeeker; 04-26-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

I think I'll join the financial stress club. Although, I tend to be the worrier; my husband is more cavalier; ("Oh, it'll work itself out..."). It's part of what's been contributing to my general punky feeling lately; given this lovely economy, the county in which I live has mandated all departments cut their budgets by 10%. The service I provide is nice to have but not a necessity, and my referrals have taken a dive vitrually overnight. In addition to the lack of income, I've really been struggling with feeling unproductive and noncontributory, and I don't know exactly what the best next course should be. We've just now rebounded from hubby being long-term unemployed; it's like turning your back on the ocean and getting smacked by another wave.

Sorry for such a downer post. Maybe it will help get it out of my system .
Old 04-26-2011, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

almeeker: You mean money stress doesn't go away?!

And I have to say: SAHM is the most difficult job in the world, and poo-poo on your husband for making you feel badly about necessary expenses. Does he know how much money he's spending day in and day out?! I bet he doesn't. And of course his golf membership is more important than your kids' brain. Men and their priorities. BF and I have been saving up for a washer/dryer, but he just HAD to go out and buy a new smartphone ($200 plus a $30 a month data plan, are you KIDDING ME?!) because "I need it" and "We've been deprived for so long". I got a smartphone too because my old phone broke. Guess what? Mine was only $50 after a rebate. WHY do you need an iPhone?! WHY?

Excuse the hell out of me for putting clean clothing ahead of your fancy-dingle phone. We'll save money in the long run instead of shoving quarters into a washing machine every week.

I hate it. The thing about money is: Both BF and I grew up without very much of it. I'm fairly certain that his family was even tighter than mine. We've had very different reactions to it though: I'm fairly frugal (but then again, my parents taught me about money) whereas he has this sense of "I was deprived for so long and I *deserve* new shiny things" (but then again, his family life is a mess, and he was largely ignored growing up). He knew nothing about credit, didn't even have a checking account when I met him (he would get his paycheck cashed every week) and I've basically taught him what I know from the ground up - and I am far from a financial expert. I just do arithmetic.

I give him credit - he never misses a bill or a CC payment and his credit history is great (and I don't have to be over his shoulder about it), but he throws money away on very silly things. He's impulsive, and he doesn't stop to consider deals or wait until things go on sale - he doesn't do rebates, clip coupons, etc. When *I* do it, he thinks it's wonderful and that he should have thought of that, but it doesn't really sink in for him.

So, I end up being in charge of the large part of our finances. I also make more money than him, but it's about 60/40 (and it still doesn't add up to much...), but for some reason a good 70-75% or more of the monthly expenses fall on me. In part, I do that to myself, since I don't want to overwhelm him with the bills, but something I want to throw my arms up in the air and throw the bills at him and say "YOU FIGURE IT OUT." Maybe I should. I can't remember the last time I bought something for myself, such as clothes, when it wasn't on super-sale. I miss fashionable items. I miss buying good sheets. He should miss his smartphone.

My current financial complaint mostly just stems from the tightness because of stupid medical expenses and having to drop an unexpected $200 on my car's brake system. And the stupid smartphone. I get that he wants nice things, and he feels like "we're not in the student phase anymore, we should grow up and buy nice things" but we Simply. Cannot. Afford. It. (Oh, and don't get me started on groceries, where I have to buy extra crap because he won't eat the same dinners as me... he's supportive of my eating habits, but he hates vegetables and sweet potatoes and you NAME it...A couple should not be spending $120 a week on groceries for just the two of us, land sakes...) And "things" in the long run won't make us happy. Hopefully I can impress upon him the severity of the situation, because if that rebate takes forever coming back, I won't have enough for my half of rent + CC in my checking account before next paycheck, and I'm going to have to dip into savings unless he can help me out.

Oh, and by the way, my parents need financial help too, so there's going to be that extra $200 a month to them.

Ugh. Money.

Cassie: Sorry to hear that! Don't worry about being a downer - money is terribly stressful. You can just let it all out here (see my rant above, yikes!). I hope things rebound soon for you, I'm giving you a huge hug from across the internets.

Last edited by taubele; 04-26-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Terri.

I got inspired reading your post.

I'm thinking of a new concept, "FitDay for Finances".

It all starts with writing it all down, doesn't it?

It's a difficult thing to reconcile...everyone brings their own baggage and style to money discussions.

When my hubby and I were first married, we used to balance the checkbook together after our weekly grocery shopping (carefully planned and priced) on Friday nights. For every withdrawal not recorded, the offender had to remove one item of clothing, lol!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 04-26-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Sorry you have a sore back and a mandatory sewing project. If you lived in the neighborhood I would volunteer to do it for you, I happen to love a good beading project.
YES, PLEASE!!! lol

Ok. Here's the deal with the #@!*% dress. In an attempt to save money, my daughter found a beautiful, red, satin dress last June on a clearance rack that she absolutely loved. It was $325 marked down to $40 because some of the intricate beading on the straps, that criss-cross in the back, were loose. Eager to pay $40 for a prom dress, I told her that I could "easily" fix it.... lol I found matching beads, but it has hung in the closet ever since.

This morning, I've completed about half. Very ditsy, time-consuming, fussy stuff... but it has to be done for Saturday. (I've only had a year!)

I thought of you this morning, too, working on your various costumes. She asked me if I could bead the top of the long, satin gloves to match!!! I sure could use your help!!!

It's pouring down rain with 35 mph winds and I have to run to the store to buy more freaking beads... (My deck furniture just blew by the patio doors! lol)

It may have been worth it to pay more for a dress!!!! lol

Cassie,

I hear what you're saying. Two years is a long time. Don't expect to rebound over night. We've been a one income family for 15 years. Several years back, my husband decided to make a career change and we were without a paycheck for 6 months. It was a huge hit, but it turned out to be the right choice in the long run. If he hadn't, he wouldn't have a job now. But, I'm not sure that we ever fully recovered. Especially after the last few years.

I think everyone in this country is hurting, financially, one way or another. Some just don't admit it.

It's going to take time, probably longer than you think. As much as I hate to admit when a man is right, your husband is probably right when he says it will work out eventually. It may not be the same as before; it may be different. But, it will be alright.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.