FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Motivational Thread Starting 2/14/10 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/3401-motivational-thread-starting-2-14-10-a.html)

mecompco 02-16-2011 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 36437)
Good Morning All!

Just wanted to take a moment to sincerely thank each and every one of you on this site for helping me reach my one year of maintenance. Although it may seem easy, maintenance is, as others have said, sometimes harder than getting the weight off in the first place. I have humbly learned that it takes several things to come together, cosmically, at once. :o

First, it takes a permanent change in the way that you view food that doesn't end the day that you reach your goal. On other weight loss attempts, once the weight was off, I said "Boy! I'm glad that's over!" and I returned to my bad habits over time. Within a year or so the weight also returned.

Second, I look at food as an addiction much like alcohol. I can't have a little bit of deep-fried or a little bit of this or that. Once I let the forbidden food back in, it's really tough not to want more and more of it. People hate to hear this, but maintenance is dieting... you just add a few more calories of the same healthy foods to keep your weight level. Does that make sense?

Third, IT'S ALL OF YOU!!!
I have taken off big chunks of weight before, but I've never kept it off. The total difference is surrounding yourself with positive, friendly, motivated people with similar goals. I have met so many incredible people on this site over the last 14 months! Some have been with me from the start of my journey. To you I say thank you so much for sharing your journeys with me. You really inspire me. I feel a warm friendship with you all and thank you for keeping me on track (and listening to me bitch when I'm down! :o) Sometimes even people within your own home just don't get it, but I always know that you do. Others that I've gotten to know over the last year, are no longer posting and I sometimes wonder how they are doing. Yet others I have just met and I love getting to know you. Your posts remind me of where I started and keep me focused on where I am.

One last thing. Thanks so much for being a group who allows everyone to share their ups and downs in life as we do this together without someone screaming "OFF TOPIC!!!" I think most of us are here because we are emotional eaters... we eat when we are happy. We eat when we are sad. We eat when we're lonely or bored. When you have a place where you can share what's going on, you're less likely to turn to food. It's all part of it. Talk things out and get it off your chest. Sometimes we can't pull our own "wagon" out of the ditch... we need a little help now and then.

Again, thanks. You're an amazing group!

Quinn, that is simply mahhhhrrrrvolas!

I agree with every single word and I hope I'll be able to post a one-year maintenance thread myself someday.

Regards,
Michael

01gt4.6 02-16-2011 03:39 AM

Jess, bleeding nipples is something that some runners get, which reminds me... watch this awesome video YouTube - My 120 pound journey.

01gt4.6 02-16-2011 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 36437)
Good Morning All!

Just wanted to take a moment to sincerely thank each and every one of you on this site for helping me reach my one year of maintenance. Although it may seem easy, maintenance is, as others have said, sometimes harder than getting the weight off in the first place. I have humbly learned that it takes several things to come together, cosmically, at once. :o

First, it takes a permanent change in the way that you view food that doesn't end the day that you reach your goal. On other weight loss attempts, once the weight was off, I said "Boy! I'm glad that's over!" and I returned to my bad habits over time. Within a year or so the weight also returned.

Second, I look at food as an addiction much like alcohol. I can't have a little bit of deep-fried or a little bit of this or that. Once I let the forbidden food back in, it's really tough not to want more and more of it. People hate to hear this, but maintenance is dieting... you just add a few more calories of the same healthy foods to keep your weight level. Does that make sense?

Third, IT'S ALL OF YOU!!!
I have taken off big chunks of weight before, but I've never kept it off. The total difference is surrounding yourself with positive, friendly, motivated people with similar goals. I have met so many incredible people on this site over the last 14 months! Some have been with me from the start of my journey. To you I say thank you so much for sharing your journeys with me. You really inspire me. I feel a warm friendship with you all and thank you for keeping me on track (and listening to me bitch when I'm down! :o) Sometimes even people within your own home just don't get it, but I always know that you do. Others that I've gotten to know over the last year, are no longer posting and I sometimes wonder how they are doing. Yet others I have just met and I love getting to know you. Your posts remind me of where I started and keep me focused on where I am.

One last thing. Thanks so much for being a group who allows everyone to share their ups and downs in life as we do this together without someone screaming "OFF TOPIC!!!" I think most of us are here because we are emotional eaters... we eat when we are happy. We eat when we are sad. We eat when we're lonely or bored. When you have a place where you can share what's going on, you're less likely to turn to food. It's all part of it. Talk things out and get it off your chest. Sometimes we can't pull our own "wagon" out of the ditch... we need a little help now and then.

Again, thanks. You're an amazing group!

Quinn, you are so right about everything! Congrats on what you've done and keep doing what you're doing. Thanks for sharing the ups and downs with us.:)

I just noticed that you are 2 days my senior. :D

staceyalberta 02-16-2011 03:48 AM

weight:
~ food wise stick with my plan M yes, T 83%
~ log all foods i've eatenM yes, T yes
~ do cardio 6 days 1 yes, 2 yes
~ do strength training 6 days, M yes, T yes, W yes
~ get 90 oz of water in M yes, T yes
~ continue to not emotionally eat. be real with what i'm feeling at the moment & talk to someone, write it down, come here & vent, but don't stuff my feelings down with food.M yes, T yes
~ be honest to myself when weighing myself .T yes

non weight goals:
~ put effort in every day in what i'm wearing & how i look.M yes, T yes, W yes
~ get back to my routine in organizing my house. not yet

01gt4.6 02-16-2011 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 36470)

I agree with every single word and I hope I'll be able to post a one-year maintenance thread myself someday.

Regards,
Michael

you have to quit losing before you can start to maintain.;) I still can't believe have fast your weight is coming off.

01gt4.6 02-16-2011 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by staceyalberta (Post 36473)
non weight goals:
~ put effort in every day in what i'm wearing & how i look.M yes, T yes, W yes

this is HUGE!!!!! Some people don't understand how much better (much better... that doesn't sound right :confused: lol)you can feel when you get yourself ready. You can take someone that doesn't want to get out the bed, feels blah, and may even be depressed, and have them take a shower, put on nice clothes and get "made up" and a new person comes out. Now they want to get up, get out the house and be seen.

It's funny that I say this b/c I rarely wear a suit, but many of the people I work with do. I guess I should take my own advice. I feel like I do look "put together" though, even if I have on jeans, now my brother... he can wear slacks, dress shirt and a tie and looks a mess. Where am I going with this??? Damn I hate having ADD. :(

staceyalberta 02-16-2011 04:13 AM

mike ~ we couldn't tell you were bringing up the rear. you ran it i didn't! GREAT JOB!!! yup i have to keep the numbers real. i just do or that will lead to a whole snowball effect of hiding weight, hiding what i'm eating, emotional eating it just goes on & on down hill. putting in effort about how i look is part my slippery slope. i start with emotional eating that i hide, stop weighing myself, then i feel crappy about doing that & then i start making less effort in how i look & it all repeats. very ugly cycle i think.

mern ~ yeah what is it with scales? the one i have doesn't make any sense...lol. the noodle is used to self massage my I.T. Band i wasn't clear. my right one gets really tight where you can feel ripples down my leg & using the noodle to roll over it massages out the tightness. hope that makes more sense.

almeeker ~ zumba classes sound like fun. if i had unlimited money i'd take that too. you guys should try bellydancing afterwards. the costuming is fun, but that's a performance costume well a low end performance costume....lol...there are women who spend upwards of $1,000 on their costumes, but they are professional dancers. i'm just in it for fun & dress up...lol. that's awesome about keeping the carb monster in check. what a nasty little beastie he is.

mhibdon ~ hope you are feeling better

quinn ~ i agree it is like an addiction. except someone who is addicted to alcohol or drugs can live without having said product, but we need food to live. not an excuse, but just as a thought that dealing with the food has it's own challenges. i agree it's important to be able to come here & vent, or talk to someone, journal it, but as emotional eaters i believe we have to let those emotions out in a healthy manner, because if we don't we stuff them down with food. or at least i do.

quinnesec 02-16-2011 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 36470)

Regards,
Michael

Michael,
My weight loss is NOTHING compared to yours! By my calculations, you have lost 162 lbs.???? OMG! What do people say when they see you? I think you're an incredible inspiration for us all to see how to stay focused. I look forward to your maintenance thread! :D

Mike,

At 48, I feel like a "senior" to everyone lately! :D

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes... now if I could get these 4 lbs. off from Christmas! :mad:

Paperwork is caught up for the day so I'm off to hit the trails! :cool: Going to take a loaf of bread with me to feed the birds along the way... better they get a fat a** than me... lol Hope you all have an incredibly awesome day!

mecompco 02-16-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 36481)
Michael,
My weight loss is NOTHING compared to yours! By my calculations, you have lost 162 lbs.???? OMG! What do people say when they see you? I think you're an incredible inspiration for us all to see how to stay focused. I look forward to your maintenance thread! :D

Well, the 440 starting weight is an informed guess as my scale has a 400 pound limit. The 393 figure was after six full weeks at 1500 cals. But, yes, I'd say 150 to 160 off since May of last year is pretty accurate.

Now, I know I could do it faster but my hope was that going more slowly would allow my mind to keep pace (it really hasn't entirely, though) and my skin to not sag too badly (alas, that also has not been the case).

I've always been able to lose weight and gain weight. I have never (literally, never in almost 47 years) been the same weight for even one full year. It's always been up or down (mostly up).

So, a year or so from now, we'll see. I seem to be averaging around 10 lbs a month so that should put me well under 200 this time next year. THEN, the hard part starts!

Regards,
Michael

staceyalberta 02-16-2011 04:43 AM

mike ~ that's is awesome!!!!! keep up the great work.

HankG 02-16-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 36471)
Jess, bleeding nipples is something that some runners get, which reminds me... watch this awesome video YouTube - My 120 pound journey.

What an unbelievable video. I actually got teary eyed at the end, damnit!

Jennybeeb 02-16-2011 06:42 AM

I'm really slow apparently since it's already Wednesday, and I haven't updated like everyone else has! Ha ha

Here are my updates:

Health/Fitness Goals:
1. Eat between 1200-1400 cals/Day No, No, (Not sure about today yet?)
2. Get at least 7 hrs of sleep/night Yes, Yes, I hope so! :)
3. Consume 100oz. of Water/Day No - 80oz., Yes, Already at 60oz. today
4. Take Fish Oil & Rosehip Supplements Yes, No, I have no idea why I have trouble remembering these!
5. Exercise with EA Active for Playstation 3x/Week (Tues, Thurs, and Sat) No :(
6. Limit myself to 1 Diet Coke/Day Yes, Yes, Yes (and my head is letting me know I am missing the caffeine!)

Other Life Goals:
1. Do 1 load of laundry per day & Freecycle clothes no longer needed/wanted No (it was Valentine's Day), Yes, I am planning on it!
2. Clean Bathroom & Clear out Bathroom Cabinet (Monday night) Did this on Tuesday
3. Clean Kitchen for 20 minutes (Tuesday Night) Fiance helped with doing this since I skipped my cleaning for Monday :)
4. Vacuum & Mop Dining Room & Kitchen, also take out trash (Wed. Night)
5. Send out Wedding Save The Dates (Thurs Night)
6. Complete Budget for March 2011 (Friday Night)

I'm doing pretty well overall I think...I have missed my goal for calorie intake, but honestly I'm pretty happy that I'm just tracking everything I've put in my mouth and it's giving me a realistic picture.

I'm REALLY proud of myself that I tracked everything I ate on Valentine's Day - often times I'll skip tracking for a special occasion, I guess because that way I don't have to admit to myself that I consumed a huge amount of calories or something :-/

Nonetheless, I am doing really good and am enjoying this thread!

I'm interested in the scratch cooking that quinn was talking about, and am thinking about going to find this thread that Cassie said she was going to start :) I would definitely be interested because right now I'm working at least 50 hours a week, and would love to eat more from scratch, but I just don't feel like I have time even though I know it'd be good for me :-P

jhowar16 02-16-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 36471)

Oh wow, is it a serious condition?

And all right, hopefully I can figure out how to work the speakers on this computer lol

Ooh and what a wonderful vid =) It got me inspired.. now I just need to wait for the snow to melt so I can run!

01gt4.6 02-16-2011 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by jhowar16 (Post 36519)
Oh wow, is it a serious condition?

And all right, hopefully I can figure out how to work the speakers on this computer lol

Don't know, I've never had any of my 3 nipples bleed. :D

01gt4.6 02-16-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by HankG (Post 36514)
What an unbelievable video. I actually got teary eyed at the end, damnit!

yeah, me too.

jhowar16 02-16-2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 36522)
Don't know, I've never had any of my 3 nipples bleed. :D

Man I never know when you're joking or not lol I don't know you well enough yet =P

So when is your video going to be done? You were working on one, correct?

blackrhino2 02-16-2011 06:59 AM

Congratulations Quinn!!! Keep it up and I hope you enjoy your trail hike!

Maintenance is also a struggle for me. I would love to pop into some of my friend's heads who have been skinny forever and really understand how they view food. Seriously, I'm so curious.

I have stayed w/in 10 pounds of my goal weight for 5 years, but it has taken work. I think that it gets easier a little bit because your good eating habits become just that-habits. However, there are always celebrations--I feel like I am going to celebratory drinks/parties/events 3x per week. Learning how to work these events into my life without gaining weight is my challenge. I believe that keeping off the weight would be much easier if I had a very predictable routine every week for my entire life, but that wouldn't be a great life for me, so I need to learn moderation. I think this mostly takes a bit of restraint...something I'm still learning.

blackrhino2 02-16-2011 07:07 AM

p.s. I loved that video!

also, i stayed on track all day yesterday regarding points, but then I had a low fat laughing cow wedge. so that put me a bit over by 1 pt.

i worked out this AM, had a delicious breakfast of oats and almond buttahhh and just ate a monster salad for lunch.

Here's to continuing the positive trends!

Michael--I just want to wish you a big congratulations as I hadn't read your stats until I saw what Quinn wrote re: your weight loss. You are amazing!!!!!!!

01gt4.6 02-16-2011 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by jhowar16 (Post 36526)
Man I never know when you're joking or not lol I don't know you well enough yet =P

So when is your video going to be done? You were working on one, correct?

lol. I didn't do a video, I've been a lazy slug.

Originally Posted by blackrhino2 (Post 36528)
p.s. I loved that video!

also, i stayed on track all day yesterday regarding points, but then I had a low fat laughing cow wedge. so that put me a bit over by 1 pt.

cool, glad you enjoyed it. I love laughing cow cheese.

mecompco 02-16-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by blackrhino2 (Post 36528)
Michael--I just want to wish you a big congratulations as I hadn't read your stats until I saw what Quinn wrote re: your weight loss. You are amazing!!!!!!!

Well thanks, Julia. Really, I don't do anything special. And I feel bad sometimes that many people have such trouble losing weight when I find it fairly painless (once the "switch" in my head is flipped on, that is). I think the best I can do to make amends for myself is to offer what support I can to others who find themselves in the same situation.

As I've said before (and will likely say again and again), the time will come when I need to lean on everyone here, especially those such as yourself, when it comes time to maintain my loss as that will be my biggest challenge.

Regards,
Michael

cjohnson728 02-16-2011 08:03 AM

Michael, in all seriousness, you are so good at this that I can totally see you becoming a counselor for bariatric patients when all is said and done.

Just to put the bleeding nipple issue to rest, Jess, it's from the shirt rubbing against you on a long run, nothing serious. I unfortunately had the experience early on on the treadmill, being blessed/cursed with little less than an A cup and preferring to exercise without a sports bra if I'm at home. I didn't get to the point of bleeding, but I could see how it would go that far with distance and time.

Julia, rock on, girl!

Back to work; no time to hang out today :(.

jhowar16 02-16-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 36421)
Stop whatever you are doing right this second (and let's be clear here, I know you are sitting on your butt looking at your computer monitor), drop down and do as many push-ups as you can for one whole minute. It's okay if you have to drop down to your knees, but don't let up for the whole minute.

Okay now how many did you do?

I managed 15 regular and 17 more on my knees. This was after I'd done planks, so my arms were already shaking, I expect your numbers to be higher, now get to it.

I finally got time!

Phew.. Did 20 Regular and 14 on my knees =P Usually when I'm doing some sort of exercise like pushups or sit ups I tell myself to get to a certain number, then once I'm there if I still can keep going I do! But I need to work on my arm muscles lol

Mern 02-16-2011 08:09 AM

Stacey, thanks for the noodle massage of the IT Band info.

Now I understand. You probably wrote it just fine to begin with and I just couldn't grasp the picture in my mind. :)

jhowar16 02-16-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 36535)
Michael, in all seriousness, you are so good at this that I can totally see you becoming a counselor for bariatric patients when all is said and done.

Just to put the bleeding nipple issue to rest, Jess, it's from the shirt rubbing against you on a long run, nothing serious. I unfortunately had the experience early on on the treadmill, being blessed/cursed with little less than an A cup and preferring to exercise without a sports bra if I'm at home. I didn't get to the point of bleeding, but I could see how it would go that far with distance and time.

Julia, rock on, girl!

Back to work; no time to hang out today :(.

Ah, that makes sense, I was going to google it but thank you =) and does it happen to everyone then because my cups are a size C but I have never ran a marathon or anything, but then again I wear a bra most times.

01gt4.6 02-16-2011 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by jhowar16 (Post 36539)
Ah, that makes sense, I was going to google it but thank you =) and does it happen to everyone then because my cups are a size C but I have never ran a marathon or anything, but then again I wear a bra most times.

I would say that it doesn't happen to most people. I use Body Glide on my legs, I hear it works good on feet to prevent blisters and nipples to prevent them being rubbed raw. If my legs were a little smaller I could save the money that I spent on Body Glide, but I don't think I want to have bird legs.

Twinnermommy 02-16-2011 08:22 AM

Ah I have been so busy this week, so I have only been logging and I haven't even looked at the forums! I spent all day yesterday making decorations for our blue and gold ceremony, and all weekend doing making valentines stuff for people. On the upside, that's less time in front of my computer right? Well, I do have some goals I have been working on:

1. Work out at least 3 times this week (I would do more, but a bunch of guys are over finishing our basement)
2. Drink 4 of my 36 oz water bottles a day
3. When I am hungry, drink a glass of water, wait 10 minutes and then eat a HEALTHY snack.
4. Stop eating when I am satisfied, not full. (seems like 'full' kicks in about 10 min later)
5. Substitute sour cream and ranch dressing for cottage cheese and eating things plain.

So far, so good! I missed being on here, I will try to check in more over the next couple days.

jhowar16 02-16-2011 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 36540)
I would say that it doesn't happen to most people. I use Body Glide on my legs, I hear it works good on feet to prevent blisters and nipples to prevent them being rubbed raw. If my legs were a little smaller I could save the money that I spent on Body Glide, but I don't think I want to have bird legs.

All right, I guess I'll just keep a look out for that when I started my running in a few weeks =P

quinnesec 02-16-2011 08:31 AM

Michael,

I'm still curious... what do people say when they see you after losing 150+ lbs.??? After I lost 30, people asked me if I got a haircut! LOL They knew something was different, but weren't sure what.

Mike,

To prevent future nipple injury :eek:, perhaps you could buy a box of those little, round band aids found in assortment packs!!! LOL (Oh, please post a picture if you do!!! :D)

01gt4.6 02-16-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 36546)
Michael,

I'm still curious... what do people say when they see you after losing 150+ lbs.??? After I lost 30, people asked me if I got a haircut! LOL They knew something was different, but weren't sure what.

Mike,

To prevent future nipple injury :eek:, perhaps you could buy a box of those little, round Band aids found in assortment packs!!! LOL (Oh, please post a picture if you do!!! :D)

I've been lucky and never had that issue. I could just use some pasties, right?

quinnesec 02-16-2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 36547)
I've been lucky and never had that issue. I could just use some pasties, right?

Honey, we could all use some pasties!!!! :D:D:D

cjohnson728 02-16-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 36550)
Honey, we could all use some pasties!!!! :D:D:D

Can I please have tassels on mine? I need all the help I can get!

MunaAmin 02-16-2011 09:02 AM

hi all
we got a letter from imig today. Rejected. Suckers :( well at least they sent it now, we have some time to try other ways, appeals etc. Deadline is on 20th July so keep us in our prayers.

It's bleak and it knocks on the door, what is it?
Muna's bright future.

:D

Anyway, as for my plan today, eating less than 1900 CHECK, exercising NONE just 3h walk, drinking more water CHECK.

quinnesec 02-16-2011 09:02 AM

Pasties (pronounced with a short a) are also meat pies, which wouldn't look as good glued to your nipples. LMAO

Pasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

01gt4.6 02-16-2011 09:08 AM

Muna, so sorry to hear that! :(

quinnesec 02-16-2011 09:28 AM

Muna,

That's awful. What other options and appeals do you have?

staceyalberta 02-16-2011 09:50 AM

mern ~ glad you could finally figure it out...lol

muna ~ sorry about the rejection that sucks. good luck with your appeals

lastri 02-16-2011 11:20 AM

Quinnesec, Congrat on your maintain. I have never get to that point yet, I am sure it is hard and you did a great job.

Muna, I am so sorry to hear that. I will pray for you.

Bleeding Nipple, My husband get it. He use band aid, just regular one, it helps.

As my report, I am doing better today. Slowly get back on track.
Mai

jhowar16 02-16-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by MunaAmin (Post 36557)
hi all
we got a letter from imig today. Rejected. Suckers :( well at least they sent it now, we have some time to try other ways, appeals etc. Deadline is on 20th July so keep us in our prayers.

It's bleak and it knocks on the door, what is it?
Muna's bright future.

:D

Anyway, as for my plan today, eating less than 1900 CHECK, exercising NONE just 3h walk, drinking more water CHECK.

I'm sorry to hear that but just keep pushing forward! I believe all things in life happen for a reason- and though we don't always know the reason right away, we will figure it out as we go along. =)

Bubbs21 02-16-2011 12:19 PM

Wednesday Report

My goals and results for this week are:
  1. Use a water bottle at work and home :) yes 3 liters M/T/W
  2. Upgrade my workout on the elliptical from manual to 'intervals' :D Yeh! 24 minutes at interval setting M/T/W
  3. Balance ball workout 5-7 times/week - Yes T/W
  4. Balanced pie chart 30/30/40 - Yes M/T/W
  5. Make sure my DH knows he is appreciated and loved - actually I think he is the one who is appreciating me and treating me like a princess...;) Doing my best in this department
Today, I when got dressed, I put on a suit jacket that was tight at christmas, now it overlaps about 6inches....oh my. Hopefuly I can make my wardrobe work until spring/summer. I really don't want to invest in clothes that will be too big next winter (how's that for confidence?)!

Mern 02-16-2011 12:47 PM

Muna, my prayers for you continue. It's not over until after all appeals have been exhausted. Big hug to ya!

Jacqueline, congrats on a job well done! :D Overlaps on clothes are nice! I'm so looking forward to stuff like that!

Wednesday's achievements:
Calorie limit 1600, actual 1658
Carbs less fiber limit 25g, actual 22g
Protein goal 110g, actual only 101g

Water goal 64 oz., actual about 36 oz.--got busy and honestly just forgot. Don't want to drink more this late in the day. Must put more effort into getting my water in on a daily basis.

Exercise goal 23 minutes aerobic walking, actual 23.5.