Community
Notices

Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies

Old 08-06-2010, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mstaff4564
I had my own little victory this morning. I did some intervals on the treadmill because I was just SO tired, I didn't think I would finish. But right around the 25 min mark, I got a second wind & went at 2.5mph for 10 minutes! That's the longer I've went at that consistent speed since I started. And I wasn't nearly as sweaty as I normally am when I was done, so I am definitely getting stronger. It looks like I'm going to have to ramp it up a bit next week...my body is getting more efficient.

But I'm going to keep pushing through & not worry about it if I don't see a big loss on the scale. After last week's big drop, I'm more confident that my body is probably not going to have a steady loss, so as long as I meet my goals, who cares if I lose the same amount each week? The long term goals are more important than what I see on the scale week to week. I need to stay focused on meeting my daily food & exercise needs, & upping the intensity of my exercise when I see I'm getting stronger.

Awesome I am a poor judge of mph, LOL, but what did you start out capable of doing?

You are so right, that if your body is weird and hangs on one week, but then drops double the next week, then there's nothing wrong with that. Most people go by a weekly weigh in, but when you think about it, your body doesn't KNOW it's your weigh in day LOL. Maybe you could measure progress by monthly.....
Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 AM
FitDay Member

Woot! Grats Michelle!
I haven't gotten my workout in yet today, but plan to do so in the next 30 minutes. I just made some popcorn as a snack and burned it =(. I was tempted to still eat it, because I hate wasting, but it was so gross I just chucked it and made another 100 calorie pack. >.<

My hubby is off work this weekend and he suggested that we go out walking some nature trails because the weather is supposed to be nice. I'm looking forward to that.

Have a great Friday gals!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

Howdy and happy Friday to all.

Grats to Chunky and MStaff for your victories in exercise - it's such a cool feeling when you see tangible results of how your body is getting better.

Speaking of the devil (the devil being exercise...hahaha I'm kidding... I think), I know most of you folks exercise, so here's a question for you. Call me crazy, but I love the treadmill and have been consistently walking at a 3.5 mph clip with intermittent inclines. At this point, I go for 45 min 5-6 days a week. I find that lately I've been moving faster than the belt (too many times, my toes will scuff the top of the machine when I step down), so I'm tempted to up the intensity. However, my initial goal has been to work up my endurance to 60 minutes and THEN up the intensity as needed. The other thing is that whole "fat burn range" idea where 'they' say you burn more fat calories at a lower heart rate (I think it's around 140 or 150, and I'm way above that with my workout as it is) than a higher one... But then, you burn more calories period going at a higher intensity. So I'm rather stumped - although I definitely break a sweat and then some, I want more of a challenge from my workout. I'm happy with walking, as it's just about the only exercise I like and will do, so I plan on sticking with the 'mill. Any thoughts? Of course, I could go as planned to 60 min and watch where I put my darn feet. :P Hope I'm not buggin' anyone by not putting this in the 'Exercise' topic; I just feel more comfortable here. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:03 PM
FitDay Member

WTG to all you awesome ladies!!

I only have 2 thoughts about the treadmill, and I am definately not an expert at it but in a couple months, I went from 1mph for 7 minutes to 2.1mph at at 2 incline for 30 minutes. So all I can suggest, I guess depending on what kind of mill you have but if it has side rails, stand back from the very front and hang onto the the side rails further back. If you are not holding on at all, and you just find yourself going consistantly faster, so that you hit the front with your feet, you need to up the speed because you are naturally going faster.

The only other suggestion I have, and it is just that, a suggestion...

I know you said you only like to walk but.. all the doctors, experts etc have said * and I tend to believe them* that you need to mix up your exercise routine because lets say you only walk, then those particular muscles you use for that are not only the only ones that will tone up.. but they will get used to it and it will take more and more to get it to keep toning. But if you mix things up, it will work all your muscles and it will be harder for your body to get to a standstill workout wise. I am not sure I can explain it correctly, but maybe someone else can.

Have a great weekend all!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM
FitDay Member

Hey GameGal, thanks for the input. I'm about to gym it up momentarily, so maybe I'll try upping the intensity. I know what you're saying about muscle memory/the fact that the more you do a given exercise, the more efficient (read: burn less calories) you become at it. You're right, ultimately it absolutely is better to mix it up. At some point, I'd like to throw in 30 Day Shred or some other 'mixed' workout, but I have to say, the last time the husband and I tried it, it was very far from enjoyable. I have a high threshold for pain, but Jillian pushed it for me and had me cursing at her something bad the next day. Of course, we were kind of stupid and tried to go at Jillian's pace as opposed to our own. Haha, that didn't go so well. Maybe we'll work up the courage to try that "mean lady" (one of the less offensive things I called her) at our own pace again soon.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
FitDay Member

I have not tried those video exercise routines simply because they are not at my starting point... but I know of one that truely does start wherever you are, and given there are many 40+ here, although I dont personally like the man, his workouts are great because they are to the oldies... Richard Simmons. Anyone used his tapes?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal
I have not tried those video exercise routines simply because they are not at my starting point... but I know of one that truely does start wherever you are, and given there are many 40+ here, although I dont personally like the man, his workouts are great because they are to the oldies... Richard Simmons. Anyone used his tapes?
I used to 'Sweat to the Oldies' all the time! Those tapes would make me laugh so much, and no matter how often I tried them (which unfortunately wasn't as much as I should have... hehe) I always enjoyed them. I found the 'real people' in the videos very inspiring and loved how they'd show their weight loss success at the end.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal
Um, my mom has a set.

Actually when it comes to workout videos I really like Kathy Smith, she has a bunch of videos out there and every last one that I've tried was a decent workout, sweat and heart rate wise. And they never left me feeling crippled the next day, maybe a little sore, but not "I need some pain killers to get out of bed" sore.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:28 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78
Even before I gained weight, I was never light on my feet...

Anyways, I had a little victory today... will probably seem small to most of you, but to me it was HUGE.

I have lived in this neighborhood for about 7 years... There is a little loop around the homes, but the road down here is a hill. Anytime I walk (the dog, or alone), I just walk loops around the flatter area. In the whole 7 years, I have never even ATTEMPTED to walk up that hill, because I just did not think I could do it. Well, last night, I decided to walk partway up it... I turned around almost to the top, because my back was starting to hurt.
Today though, I took the dog and we walked up to the top, onto the main street, across a field, and THEN turned around to come back. It was definitely a bit much (I probably pushed a little harder than I should have), BUT mentally, it felt GREAT! I do have a massive headache now though, LOL.
I think that is HUGE!!!! Your mindset about what you are capable of doing is changing, and that my friend is the key to long term weight loss and fitness. So I'm raising my coffee cup up to you for tackling that hill!!! You go girl.

One thing I've been trying to do is when I run errands or hit the grocery store is to park as far from the door as I can, and walk it. You'd be amazed at how much faster it is. I watch people all the time waiting for a closer parking spot, while I pulled into the lot after them and have already made it to the front door. Another thing DH and I have both been doing is walking to the gym. For the 5 years we've belonged to the gym, we've always driven up there. It's 1.55 miles away, so there and back is exactly 3.1 miles or 5K. Earlier this summer it occurred to me that I was driving 3.1 miles to walk 5K on a treadmill. How stupid is that? So now I walk/run up there and just lift weights and then walk/run home.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

Surprisingly another 5lbs off this week. Either it's still water weight or I'm getting it right for a change.
I stopped logging calories on FitDay back in the 2/3rd week sometime as well. It felt so negative for me and I actually felt like I was on a diet rather than taking a lifestyle change.
Can't wait for Tuesday when I see my first measurements for 6 weeks. 27lbs is good, but inch loss will give me a far bigger boost!

I hope everyone is having good results this week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.