Community
Notices

Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies

Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks for the advice

Susan8Less & MTLGirl -- Thank you so much for the advice on shoes. I will definitely check that website out. I appreciate it. I am looking forward to finding out how decent shoes impact my workout.

Smooshmcsmeesh -You're so cute! Never be afraid. (Maybe your courage will inspire me to change my signature as well.) I don't know why it's so scary on an anonymous website.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Welcome aboard. I don't really have much of anything to post. I'm waiting for my pickles to do their thing, then I can go to bed. That's no joke, I really am making pickles, the whole house stinks to high heaven of dill, garlic, vinegar, mustard seed and onions.
Oh, I love homemade pickles. My mom has been canning some, and they are WONDERFUL on burgers, in tuna fish, or just on their own. I really have to pace myself with them, or they are all gone before I know it.

Today has not been a great day. Scale was up 1.2lbs, but that's likely all water weight. I did a good workout on the treadmill, so I WAS feeling pretty good until I went out to my car.

There's a sweet little stray dog hanging around the house that won't go away. He has no tags. We can't take in another dog (we've already adopted 2 neighborhood strays), but it just breaks my heart to doom this little innocent dog to the pound and a likely death because some idiot redneck in my backwoods hometown can't be bothered to be responsible for his animals.

We found a leash, some food & some water for him. Tomorrow I'm taking him in for vaccinations & a checkup, and if all is well, we're going to introduce him to our dogs & see how they get along. I've contacted a local no-kill shelter, and should hopefully only have to foster him for a few weeks before they can take him. (Cross your fingers)

I left my lunch at home, so I had to turn around to get it (because I can't afford to buy anything for lunch) and was an hour late to work. And work's been awful too. I just feel as if I've been surrounded by crazy people all day. I had to trudge out in 100-degree heat to get something for my lunch (that I ended up eating an hour late).

So today? Not a good day at all.

I did decide to glam up a bit today though. I am wearing a top that normally makes me self-concious because it's a tighter (better) fit than my normal billowy tops. I added some bracelets, a necklace, and earrings. No makeup yet, but once I can afford some, I might start using it a little.

That's a big deal because I'm normally just a "wash & go" kind of girl, and the fact that I'm taking a little more care is a signal I'm feeling better about myself. YAY!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Pixie5477
Susan8Less & MTLGirl -- Thank you so much for the advice on shoes. I will definitely check that website out. I appreciate it. I am looking forward to finding out how decent shoes impact my workout.

Smooshmcsmeesh -You're so cute! Never be afraid. (Maybe your courage will inspire me to change my signature as well.) I don't know why it's so scary on an anonymous website.
I too am looking for a new workout shoe, so thanks for the heads up. I have wide feet so I need to find one that either comes that way or is generously cut.

You know on the signatures, it was completely liberating to me to share my weight, even though it was scary and flashed through my nervous system as I hit the enter button that first time. But you know what it was really helpful, once you confess you become accountable and somehow more determined. You're among friends and peers here, we all understand, we're all there with you, I've never seen anyone get laughed at or made fun of because of their weight on this thread. So go ahead get brave, all you have to lose is weight.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 AM
FitDay Member

It did feel very liberating Almeeker. You're right. And although it's not reflected in my signature, when I made my profile pages public today, i saw some very old reports (from 2006) when I first joined FitDay. Back then, my weight was 295. So I'm actually down 30 pounds from that highest weight, and I hope to just keep getting smaller.

The only thing that contributed to that previous weight loss was cutting out fast-food and soft drinks.

Now that I'm actually trying to eat healthier and start exercising, I'm very excited about the future. I really want to check in here everyday and keep focused on my goals.

WE CAN DO IT!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal

ChunkyDunk - have you thought about or looked into swimming/water based exercises? They souldnt hurt your back, knees or any other thing. Some community colleges offer these classes for a minimal cost.
o

This was the idea I had... Unfortunately, the community college here doesn't even have a pool. On top of that, I called a bunch of gyms, and none of them have any options to pay to just use the pool OR take just water based classes. I might be able to swing a membership this fall, but I can't right now.
I have been able to do 2 short walks every day (except yesterday because we had massive rain and flooding)-- only 15 minutes each, but it adds up... Also, I have been stretching AND at work, we have stairs, and usually I would try to make less trips, but now I make a separate trip for everything, as well as walk the long way around (confusing, but I work in a little building off of our main building). I also have been pushing 100 oz. of water consistently... before I would get in 60-80, but struggle to get the last 20 oz., and I am doing that. So woot
Today it was soo muggy, sticky, hot out.. I walked the dog and then came home to do some massive cleaning... sweat was pouring off my face LOL.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 PM
FitDay Member

Hello ladies! I'm not sure how much I had lost last time I posted, but I'm down 23.4 pounds (since 5/25/10) so I'm feeling pretty awesome about that. I'm not feeling awesome, however, about the fact that I haven't worked out since I got back from my trip to Ohio. I used the fitness center in the hotel on my vacation, but can't seem to make myself workout after I get home..what's wrong with this picture? LOL!

My baby girl turns 2 on Sunday, so it's been a really busy week for me, planning her party and getting everything ready for it. It's not a big extravaganza like her first birthday, but it's enough to make me still stress a little bit. Should be fun, anyway.

I agree about sharing my weight in my signature. It absolutely makes me feel more accountable, since I know people are looking to see a loss in my numbers and I don't want to disappoint or make anyone feel like looking at my signature was totally anticlimactic..LOL!

mstaff - That's great that you're feeling better about yourself! I used to NEVER leave the house without makeup on (at the very least, some eyeliner) but when I got pregnant making myself looking good sort of went on the back burner and then my weight kept going up and up and up. I have recently started putting on some eyeliner before I leave the house again, and holy cow does it make me feel good! It's amazing how something so small can have such a big impact on confidence. Great job!

Congrats to all the other losses this week and for those that haven't lost this week, don't give up, you're still doing great!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 PM
FitDay Member

almeeker said...

Gamegal, have you considered making your own lower sodium kosher dills? Unless you're Jewish and keep kosher, you don't need a Rabi, just some cucumbers, kosher salt, fresh dill, vinegar and garlic. I make a modified version of my moms recipe, which only has 1 cup of kosher salt per 5 quarts of liquid, but I cut that in half and it works just fine.
I am not Jewish nor have a need for a Rabbi blessing on my pickles lol but there is something very different between dill (like hambuger dills) and kosher.. I am not sure what the difference is.. but I am not all that fond of regular dill... only kosher dill. As to my making my own thats a scary thought! LOL!! I only make 2 things well ( a veg. beef cabbage soup) and stuffed cabbage. Anything else, whether its canning, or simply cooking, and there is a fair chance someone would die from eating it. So while it was a great idea, its not likely I can do it. I am the same way about plants. I love plants. Want plants. I am given plants and within a week they are dead. A friend of mine got me air fern, no watering no nothing just lives forever...
mine turned brown and disentigrated within 5 days

I just need to find some other food that has much less sodium but just as much flavor.

ChunkyDunk - I am not sure where you live but if its anywhere near a good sized city.. you might see if your local hospitals have water aerobics. Several of ours do ( and a few have an entire fitness center) but in the last few years, since the community college started their program, some of them closed their pool. But walking is good and anything at all that you can do helps.

mstaff - thats a great sign that you are feeling better about yourself. I am also a wash and go kinda gal but I just have never liked makeup. I am proud of you, that even though you had a hard day, it sounds like you stuck to the plan (And thank you for rescuing (even if its only for a foster home) the dog... dogs have a special place in my heart and I get so riled up when I hear of any being abandoned or mistreated.. so thank you so much for trying to help!)

Welcome back ldybug.. good job on the loss!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal
I am not Jewish nor have a need for a Rabbi blessing on my pickles lol but there is something very different between dill (like hambuger dills) and kosher.. I am not sure what the difference is.. but I am not all that fond of regular dill... only kosher dill. As to my making my own thats a scary thought! LOL!! I only make 2 things well ( a veg. beef cabbage soup) and stuffed cabbage. Anything else, whether its canning, or simply cooking, and there is a fair chance someone would die from eating it. So while it was a great idea, its not likely I can do it.
There are 3 things (well 4 if you get a Rabi blessing) that make Kosher dills taste different from regular dills, sugar, Kosher salt and garlic. Maybe half the varieties of commercially available dill pickles contain sugar, Kosher dills do not.I don't really know why Kosher salt makes them taste different, but it does. It's coarser and doesn't dissolve as quickly as canning salt, and once the brine has boiled a while it begins to settle out of the solution much earlier than canning salt does. It's chemically different somehow so the brine bath affects the cucumbers in a slightly different manner. Also regular dills may or may not have garlic in them, but Kosher dills always have quite a lot of garlic. I usually put 2 whole cloves in each jar. A friend of mine makes hers with a full tablespoon of sliced garlic, but I think her husband has a Jewish grandmother, so there might be a family standard to live up to there.

Believe me if you can wash dishes and boil water, you can make dill pickles. You don't even have to can them, just leave them in a ceramic crock on the counter. They will keep for months like that. Seriously all you do is wash them, trim the ends off of each cucumber, make the brine (kosher salt, vinegar, water all boiled together), layer the cucumbers, some fresh dill, maybe a whole head of garlic (peeled of course) into a crock and put a cover on it. In six week you'll have pickles, but you can munch on them between now and then, in fact you might eat them all before they become fully pickled, so better make two batches. You can also make brine pickles, like the ones you get with good deli sandwiches, those are made with salt, water, vinegar and cucumbers, very easy, very yummy.

Last edited by almeeker; 08-04-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:44 AM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=mstaff4564;17745]

I did decide to glam up a bit today though. I am wearing a top that normally makes me self-concious because it's a tighter (better) fit than my normal billowy tops. I added some bracelets, a necklace, and earrings. No makeup yet, but once I can afford some, I might start using it a little.

QUOTE]

Mstaff---- Well, that just makes me think.. if you are willing to let me... I would love to treat you to a couple of fun items (not used, of course LOL). Because you deserve it !!!

If you would let me... I would just need to know your hair/eye and skin tone, as well as any make-up allergies... and what your best/favorite facial feature is. I know for me, wearing eye makeup (especially eye liner and mascara) make a ton of difference in how I feel about myself... My eyes are my best feature, and whenever I play them up, people always comment ) It's definitely a little self esteem boost. I go for a minimal look, but still couldn't live without the basics
If you're interested... email me at [email protected]
I just love to make other people smile!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

You are so right about a little touch of make-up. I used to wear it religiously, just a little mascara, a swoosh of blush and maybe a tiny bit of shadow or liner. But with 3-5 kids and my low glam lifestyle, most days I don't manage to get any make-up painted on. However the other day I did manage a swipe or two of mascara and guess what? DH was rather more attentive than usual, I'd completely forgotten that the "high maintenance" look does a little something for him. Weeeellll, the kids are going with the grandparents this weekend, maybe mommy needs to run out and grab a new tube of mascara, or even better, paint her toenails something bright and naughty....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.