Notices

Goal of 200 by New Years

Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default way down

oh wow. I have been doing really good this week. Riding bike. working out and eating crazy healthy. I jumped on the scale last night right before bed (not my normal weight in but I was feeling really good) and weighed in at 229.6! I think my scale may have fibbed on this one. Normally if I weigh before bed I am up a bit. I will find out tomorrow as that is my normal weigh in. The weekend is rolling around and I a love hockey and football so this will be my test to keep going strong.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Glad to hear you're doing well--same here--a good week, all said and done. I do intend to drink beer to excess tomorrow but you're got to howl at the moon once in a while! Still, it all goes in FitDay--the good as well as the bad. Hope to see at least three pounds down for my Saturday morning weigh-in.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Glad to hear you're doing well--same here--a good week, all said and done. I do intend to drink beer to excess tomorrow but you're got to howl at the moon once in a while! Still, it all goes in FitDay--the good as well as the bad. Hope to see at least three pounds down for my Saturday morning weigh-in.

I hear you on the drinking. I was supposed to go tailgating tomorrow but have decided to pass it up this weekend in order to stay on track while I can. There will be plenty more weekends to throw me off! Make sure you weigh in before the drinking!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default update

it's been a good week. i have been tracking everything trying to stay under 2000 calories and keep carbs low, i checked this morning and i was down to 232. so 7 lbs in two weeks. i know this is the easy part, but i am pleased and feeling really good.

i still have not joined a gym. i went to check one out i belong to before. its a dump but really convenient to my work. i just have a killer travel schedule and it makes getting to the gym a problem. i have been walking an hour each day, today i am going to try a jog.

i really have been careful with sugar and carbs for years, my challenge is alcohol. i was having a couple drinks every night after work, usually wine. not excessive but after that, dinner, and kid stuff, etc, i never have the motivation to exercise. i am skipping the wine etc and it really makes a difference in my motivation to go exercise/walk.

i think i am going to buy a treadmill . i swore i never buy one, cause i dont know anyone who actually uses one after the first month, but it now seems convenient. any thoughts
Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 AM
FitDay Member

I'd look at the gym again. It depends on what is a "dump" about it. I'm ok with chalk and older benches, etc. But it depends on what you are looking for. General neatness IMO should be expected, i.e., weights and bars put up, trash picked up, etc. I don't care if the machines are color-coordinated and the interior decorating is pretty.

As far as motivation - I'm maybe a bit shallow, but this cartoon is VERY motivating to me: http://www.glasbergen.com/wp-content...ness/diet1.gif

It kind of sums up the problem for me. i.e., exercise is not the optional part - everything else is the optional part.

I'd try and go to a gym. I've done the home gym equipment route before. My home has too many distractions, wife, kids, work I should be doing, unfinished hobby projects, etc... When you get to a gym, you are there to workout, so you will workout - it's automatic. When I had the home gym equipment I quit going to the gym. Then I quit using the equipment.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

I'm with most of you guy in that in the last 15 years I have been anywhere between 210 to 325. I make my mind up and I can loose the weight but I have not had the self discipline to maintain my weight loss. I have come to the conclusion that I will have to keep my focus on health and maintaining what I have worked for. At this time I just plan to keep logging food, weight, calories and activities. Do so seems to make me aware of when I'm straying too far off course and know I have to take action. It's not hard to do, I just have to KEEP DOING IT.
Good luck to all you and keep us posted.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

@jptfenwick: I too would try the gym route. I also have kids and all the running that is envolved with them. I bought a treadmill a year or so ago along with a bike trainer and I know that when I am home I can find a thousand excuses to not use them. If you do the gym you can schedule it and have no distractions. It becomes part of your daily routine. Wake up, work, gym... over and over. Once your at the gym there is no reason to not get a full workout in.

@dan-anderson: love the cartoon. puts everything out there for me.

@efduncan: I am with you. I also range from 210-285 and fluctuate all over the place. I am using fitday to monitor everything to help keep me on track.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default week 2

Okay, official two week mark, still 232, down seven. I am just glad to be focussed on losing weight. again. I have a similar story, weight fluctuates between 200 and 240. I need to be constantly diligent or it floats up.

Last time I used Fitday to track my food intake all I looked at were the carbs. I need to track carbs and calories. So far averaging 1800 to 2000 a day and keeping net carbs at around 50/60.

Thanks for the input of the gym. I have been walking for exercise each day, upped it to a jog over the weekened. I need to formalize the process/make the time to go to the gym. Nice cartoon Dan , right message. i printed it out. I was a gym regular for years to keep my weight in check. my travel schedule just throws everything into disarry .

Ed, keep up the good work. Stalls are frustrating.

Diesel, looks like you are making good progress towards your 1/1/11 goal.

joe
Old 10-13-2010, 01:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jptfenwick
Thanks for the input of the gym. I have been walking for exercise each day, upped it to a jog over the weekened. I need to formalize the process/make the time to go to the gym. Nice cartoon Dan , right message. i printed it out. I was a gym regular for years to keep my weight in check. my travel schedule just throws everything into disarry .

joe
OK Joe, I give. Thanks to you I went and got a Nike + for the ipod and will start running tonight... well not really running at this weight. more of a fast walk. Figured I should track it just like my calories so I can see what works and what level of excercise I need to hit. I have been walking the dog for about a 1.5 mile loop most evenings and riding a bike a few times a week. I can only really get a good bike ride in on weekends though because it is dark when I get home from work. So I will start tonight and see how this goes. Thanks for the motivation.

sean
Old 10-14-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default more motivation

In order to create more motivation for me, a buddy and I have a friendly competition going to see who can lose a higher percentage of weight by December 12th. We are going by what we weighed in at on September 12th. so far since then I am down about 15lbs. Not too bad I don't think. The catch is that there are no other weigh-ins until the last day. So I will have no clue how its going. My wife thinks thats good because if he falls off the wagon I will lose my motivation. So not knowing is supposed to keep me motivated.