Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivation and Accountability Thread - Mar 16-22....Make a plan >

Motivation and Accountability Thread - Mar 16-22....Make a plan

Community
Notices

Motivation and Accountability Thread - Mar 16-22....Make a plan

Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM
FitDay Member

Annette- Love your positive attitude! We don't live to get fit--we get fit to live. Way to notice your own progress!

Epixi-I hope you don't mind if I put my "trainer hat" on, but if you were one of my clients (and there have been a quite a few who have gotten discouraged over the scale) Here's what I'd say: 1) Do not judge progress over scale weight. Judge progress over how your clothes feel and what behaviors you're practicing; 2) Make sure you log everything (keep notebook handy if you're not around a computer or don't have high-tech cell-some of us like ME occasionally forget some stuff; 3) assuming you have no injuries boost cardio gradually; 4) if you aren't already, limit starchy carbs to 2 servings/day unless you do a lot of running; and 5) NO diet should go below 1,200 calories. The goal is to acquire a lifestyle of eating that we can maintain, otherwise we'll just re-gain and yo-yo diet. Hang in there girl!

Pranave, Lynda, Bea, Debbie and Lisa-HI!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:55 PM
FitDay Member

Bea, HI!!! So nice to see you again. I'm in the same boat as you having to relose the same weight repeatedly. I could kick my self every time I let it get out of control and have to start over.

Annette, that's so great that you noticed your health getting better. sometimes we live for the number on the scale, but there are sooo many other indicators of how well you're doing.

Debbie, thanks for the compliment on my bag. I'm super proud of this one. It's had the most kudos of any I've done so far.

Here's my report for the day. I ate too much, but I'm not mad about it because I honestly was hungry after I was mindful and checked in with myself. I had oatmeal at about 4:30am or something like that. I was hungry again a couple hours later and had leftover rice, chicken & broccoli. I had 1 atkins w milk today, and I did have something from the drive thru because we were out on the road and wouldn't be home for a while, but I forgot that we were going to be gone so I didn't plan ahead. I had a chicken ranch snack wrap (and soda ). For dinner we had BLT wraps, and I had just 1. I'm pretty full now so I think I can go until pretty late tonight before having another shake/milk. So, all in all, I think I did well. I'm happy with what I did. I'm not counting and focusing on the calories right now. Like I said a few days ago, I'm mostly trying to fight my binging addiction, and I think I'm succeeding so far. The weight may not come off as fast, but as long as my habits are changing and I'm not gaining, then that is success in my book.

Hope everyone has a good night.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:36 PM
FitDay Member

Whew, boards have been busy today! Let me see if I can catch up!

Annette: I echo what everyone else has so eloquently said. (((hugs))) Changing subjects, I love the perspective you gave, comparing March 2014 to March 2015. Such progress! You should be very proud!

Debbie: I hope you're not coming down with something. It was probably a good idea to get some extra rest in. Thanks for the thoughts regarding low calories. I agree with you 100%. That's why I've been trying to boost those calories up recently. I think my body has gone into what I call conservation mode (I don't like the term "starvation mode").

Changing subjects, I'm really impressed with your daily protein! It may not be as high as you want but you'll get there. I'm hoping I'll get there, too, one day.

Getting back to the eggs, boil with no cover. The chef's name, by the way, is J. Kenji Lopez-Alt. He's the Managing Culinary Director of SeriousEats. I really like his approach to marriage between food, cooking and science. For example, he delved into the science behind why his hot-start method works. And he had pictures .

Lisa: You've been doing great facing the beast. Good job, too, on making difficult choices when you were on the road. And the flower bag is darling. You're very creative!

Bea (is it ok to call you Bea?): So frustrating losing and re-gaining. So many of us have had that exact same scenario. Heck, I bet most of us have been there. Repeatedly. You are not alone.

That's some heavy-duty shoveling you've done. 500cm -- whoa, that's a lotta snow. Sweet of you to help out your friend. I hope you actually enjoy shoveling (I do). Lived in a condo a few years and actually missed having to shovel (but didn't miss mowing).

Vicki: I'm sure it's a comfort to know the GB is normal, but the question now is, what is the issue? I hope you can get some relief soon.

Beth: I hear you on the difficulty getting in so many vegetables. I'm sooooo not a vegetable person. I can't even bring myself to call them "veggies". It sounds like a term of endearment and, to me, most vegetables are not very dear. I eat them because I'm supposed to, not because I necessarily want to. I don't think I've ever "craved" a carrot.

You're doing so well with your goals this week! Proud of you!

Thank you, too, for the advice on weight stalls (and no, I don't mind the trainer hat at all!). You're right -- the scale is just one measure of progress. I am looking at the image in the mirror and I can see progress. And clothes? Again, progress. I haven't bought new clothes yet (waiting for Spring and a few fewer pounds), but I must wear a belt now. No option. And about a month ago, I realized I can raise and lower my pants without unbuttoning/unzipping! Thrilling! Oh, TMI ?

I do log everything, even that little bite here, nibble there. As I mentioned earlier, I'm working to get the calories up -- it's now part of the strategy. I hadn't really considered the starchy-carbs versus other carbs issue. Something to consider! I know potatoes are a starchy carb, but is rice (brown rice or wild rice) also a starchy carb?

Lynda: Woohoo! 15 pounds, gone! Way to go!

Ok, I *think* I'm all caught up! Hope you all have a great evening! Oh, I still have to post my results for today, since it's late and I'm not going to have anything else tonight. Next post .
Old 03-18-2015, 04:42 PM
FitDay Member

My Strategy for the Week (March 16 - March 22):
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1200, 1210, 1218
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 1500mL: 3423, 3417, 3417
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1118,1012, 1001
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 14, 14, 14
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 15, 15, 16
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 56, 56, 56
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
    • Tuesday: Did some research on sat-fat
Old 03-18-2015, 07:01 PM
FitDay Member

Epi, you are doing great on your goals! Good job! Keep it up.

I just got done watching one of my favorite shows, My 600lb Life on TLC. I don't know why I usually do, and it just goes to show how sick in the head I truly am, but when I watch this show I usually eat while it's on, and it's usually junk food. I find this show so motivational, that I CAN do it, but I sabotage everything I'm learning by stuffing my face. Tonight I had 1 granola bar and an atkins/milk instead of too much junk food. I will consider that a win for the night.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 PM
FitDay Member

Good morning everyone!

Hi Epixi, yup my name is Bea

Hi Lisa!! Hi Beth!

Well it's a new day and I am feeling motivated. I plan to make it successful!

My goals:

3 meals

NO Snacks!

minimum 8 glasses of water

1 piece of fruit (as opposed to 5-6)

all other fruits and veggies in the form of veggies
Old 03-19-2015, 12:04 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all. I didn't check in last night to report on my goals. I ate waaaay over my calories...maybe because Monday and Tuesday were waaaaay low? At least it averages out to just over 1200 over 3 days...so maybe not so bad? Like how I did that Today is a new day and I'm simply moving forward. The kids being off for Spring break has changed our schedule this week and it's made it more challenging to get in all my planned workouts.

Weekly Goals
track food daily: M-yes, Tu-yes, W-yes
72 oz. water daily: M-72 oz., Tu-80 oz, W-80 oz.
max. 1430 calories: M-995, Tu-1033, W-1765
min. 90 g protein: M-75 g, Tu-85 g, W-126 g
max. 180 g carbs: M-123 g, Tu-91 g, W-193 g
3 full body workouts:Tu-yes
3 - 30 min. HIIT workouts:W-yes
4 - 30-45 min. steady state cardio:

Last edited by lildebbieg; 03-19-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:30 AM
FitDay Member

Bea - Love fruit! So easy to eat a lot eh!? I always tell the kids that fruit is mother nature's candy

Lisa - strange how we sabotage ourselves.....you are not alone! Sounds like you've been making some good choices. Keep it up! All those good choices will add up!

Epixi - I'm was feeling much better last night and made up for the lost calories I'll have to check out chef J. Kenji Lopez-Alt. I like to watch Chef John's videos on foodwishes.com. His food always looks so delish! As for protein, I don't usually have too hard a time hitting my goal....but when my calories are low, so is the protein. I too am not a fan of the term 'starvation mode'...the term is soooo overused

Lynda - You are so close to your Easter goal! 3 more weigh ins until the end....you still have time to hit your goal!

Beth - Good, solid advice

Have a great day all!
Old 03-19-2015, 03:10 AM
FitDay Member

Debbie, I'd say a 3 day average of your goal is completely legal in the rule book!

Me? I can tell this will be a tough day. I'm already craving food. I really want a bag of Entemann's mini powdered donuts! (Yes, a whole bag!) I'm just really craving food in general, but junk food the most. I heated up the last of the chicken/rice/broccoli and it was so delicious I wanted more more more. I'm super exhausted so I'm going back to bed. When I wake up I hope I feel differently. If not, an atkins w/ milk will be on the plan of attack against the sweet tooth and to keep the hunger at bay.

Have a happy day, all!
Old 03-19-2015, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

After spending too much time getting logged in after numerous disconnects from Fitday (Argh!) I just have a second to say keep taking good care of yourselves!

As to what constitutes starchy carbs: Be leery of bread and cereal. Even though brown rice and yams are starches, I've never had anyone tell me they couldn't control it, and they are good for us as long as we don't overdo it too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.