Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Old 06-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quinn...YES! He is on board! He's struggling with all this travel and eating in restaurants all week long, but he's lost 15-20 pounds in the past couple months and we've been exercising together, cooking together, going to the farmer's market, reading, researching...it's been a big bonus. It's easier with company. I think he just needed to be ready on his own timetable. Thanks for asking .

Almeeker, I'm thinking that the bang, bang, bang should not occur on the same days Mr. Screamy Pants visits. Or perhaps they could drown him out?

Mike, take it easy, man. Feel better.

I'm crossing my fingers for never experiencing nerve pain. I'm allergic to a lot of the narcotic pain killers and I'm not quite sure what I'd do. For me, natural childbirth was about a 7; the migraines I used to have were actually worse!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mern,
The book that I was reading that got me going low carb has a lot of info about saturated fat. I'm not in my office so I didn't scan it but I took 2 pics for you. Let me know if you want me to scan it for you. If nothing else, it'll be a good read.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Checking in:

1. Limit calories to 1200* (average). 1184, 1208, 1196
2. Exercise in some form or fashion 7 times. Weights, Cardio tennis, Cardio tennis
3. Drink 64 oz. water daily. Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Sleep 7 hours daily. 6.5, 6.5 (planned on more, but hubby was NOT packing quietly this morning!), No-no excuse
5. Take all vitamins & supplements. Yes, Yes, Yes
6. 5 fruits & veggies per day. Yes, Yes, Yes
7. Journal; I've got to figure out why I keep slipping! Yes, Yes, No-out all day; too tired now
8. Log everything. Yes, Yes, Yes

9. Work on the Mom Cave. Yes, Not today, Not on the agenda today
10. Catch up billing. Not today, Worked on it, Not today
11. Begin organizing photos. Not today
12. Smile more, bitch less . I wish; bad mood all day Yes, Pretty much
Old 06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

1) 1 cheat day (Monday) yes
for the other 6 days
2) gallon of water a day no, yes
3) 2500 cal deficient -918, -701
4) no more than 60g of cabs a day (after breakfast) 47.8g, 53.6g
5) walk the dogs 5 times no, no
Old 06-02-2011, 02:11 AM
FitDay Member

hi again ladies plus mike,

yes, i hope to be able to get my membership back..maybe next tuesday i can go and plead with them. some of those ladies that weigh you in are real cranky and sticklers for the rules...lame. maybe they are hungry.

i am going away this weekend again so i won't be checking in for a few days.

i can't catch up with all of you individually bc i'm in a rush to get to the library but i just wanted to say something that I know you already know-- you don't have to be diligent 100% of the time to be successful, be kind to yourselves and don't beat yourself if you slip up. it may make you feel like you just "can't" do this, when I know we all can.

i truly feel that allowing myself to eat unhealthy foods in moderation and then go back to being healthy is what keeps me on track. this is really hard, and I am still learning the moderation part, but I think it's the only sustainable way for me to live as I lead a very social life and need to be able to balance healthy living with beer and pizza. i know i could lose weight if i was stricter, and i want to lose a few pounds, but I would be way more emotional and prob binge. i haven't binged in weeks. also, i just feel less like an emotional freak as I felt previously when I was very strict.

i am at 125.8 this AM. so i am up. i haven't exercised in a few days but my days are active and i'm on my feet most of hte time.

ok, good luck to everyone...i'm off to miami tomorrow mid day...hope to eat salads+alc+exercise+eat some high cal desserts, and maybe be able to lose weight? we will see?! i'll catch you all on the flip side..hehe. lame saying that i love.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Quinn...YES! He is on board! He's struggling with all this travel and eating in restaurants all week long, but he's lost 15-20 pounds in the past couple months and we've been exercising together, cooking together, going to the farmer's market, reading, researching...it's been a big bonus. It's easier with company. I think he just needed to be ready on his own timetable. Thanks for asking .
That's great! I don't know what made me think of that yesterday. It IS a lot easier when you have someone to push your behind when you don't feel like exercising, etc. My husband and I have stuck together on this for about 14 months now. The only problem is that when one of us decides to make a really unhealthy choice, (like menu options or like when he was home last week) the other has no problem in quickly following suit.

Another problem has been that he is allowed SO many more calories than me being 6'4". He will eat a lot more and lose while I eat very little and gain. Really frustrating!!! Glad to hear he's on board!

I think I might also be seeing some healthy eating choices being made by my daughter lately as well. I never talk weight with her because my family did that to me in high school and it was hurtful. I think track may have lit a spark as she was required to work out in the HS weight room everyday. (Shot and disk) I'll keep inviting her to join us on our evening walks. Maybe this year she'll come more often. She has certainly never been terribly overweight, but both of my kids have some "jiggle issues" and I'd hate to see it get worse in college, as it often does.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

Cassie: I wish I could take credit for "man cold" but I definitely heard it somewhere else -- I think it's a very fitting description, though!! Of course, he was going to DIE on Tuesday and then he was "just fine" last night Also, great job on your goals this week so far!

Mike: I would NEVER call you a wimp or a whiner - nerve pain is serious business!! I'm lucky to never have experienced it myself, but I've watched both my Dad and sister deal with it chronically for years. I hope you can find something that helps out soon!!

sobig: PFT!! HAHA! Thanks for the poem, I'm going to stick it on his forehead next time he starts to kvetch about his colds!

Mern: Glad the doc was helpful!! That's interesting about the fish oil - I guess it does make sense. Cholesterol (like a lot of body chemicals) has a circadian rhythm and it definitely is more active in the evening hours. I had never thought of that. Cool info! I should start taking fish oil...

almeeker: Oh man, the bang bang bang bang would drive me nuts too! Killer headache, killer abs, killer arms... you're a trooper!

Julia: I've always thoughts you had a very sane approach - have a GREAT time on your trip and stick to your simple, straightforward goals!

Wednesday Report Card

Food, Exercise, Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit through a combination of eating and exercise M: +144 T: -777 W: -1,485 (Week Total: -2,118)
2) Do not skip exercise two days in a row. M: Day off T: Day off W: HIIT cardio (60 mins)
3) Three "Cardio Days" and Two "Weights Days." Cardio: 1 Weights: 0
3) At least 120 oz. of water daily M: No (unless beer counts!) T: yes W: yes
4) Weekly carb average of 50% or less M: 38% T: 44% W: 38% (Week Average: 40%)
5) Weekly protein average of 30% or more M: 24% T: 33% W: 30% (Week Average: 29%)
6) Do not eat out more than twice for lunch and twice for dinner M: No eating out T: Out for Lunch W: No eating out (Total 1 Lunch, 0 Dinners)

Other Life Stuff:
1) Smile more, bitch less! M: Heck yes T: BF was TRYING my patience, but I was too tired to bitch. W: yes!!
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: yes (no makeup) T: yes (no makeup) W: yes
3) Journal or talk about my anxiety. Don't self-sabotage. M: Journaled T: Talked on phone with family W: No anxiety
4) Read articles every day. M: yes T: no, but had an 11-hour procedural day. W: yes

Yesterday was a busy day!!

I was REALLY exhausted yesterday once I got home from work, and working out was the last thing I wanted to do. Plus, we had gotten our shiny new washer/dryer and I just wanted to do the laundry that I've been let pile up! But with a little (ok...a lot) of nudging from BF, I went to the gym and did my thing. The whole way down, I was telling myself "you're tired, you don't have to work quite as hard today..." and all those little voices in my head that were trying to justify my lack of willpower to exercise.

But then I stood in front of the workout machine and said to myself "You're either doing this, or you're not. There's no midway ground here." So I did it! In fact, I actually ramped up the resistance to the next level on the elliptical and did my full 60-minute workout, just to prove to myself that it wasn't REALLY so bad and I COULD do it - half of the sluggishness was all in my head. I was actually LESS exhausted once I got off the machine (though the workout was definitely tough). Funny how that works.

PLUS, I think the media package for the book I consulted on went out yesterday, because I got contacted by the Tallahassee newspaper for a phone interview () AND the web media director of psychology today for the opportunity to write a guest blog (!!!) Holy crap, I don't even know how to deal with it. I think a large part of me expected no one to really notice the book at all. I'm still a shy person at heart and being noticed sometimes puts me into bury-my-head-in-the-sand mode.

However, I tried to work past that initial reaction; I accepted the newspaper interview (will occur sometime next week) and I will probably do the blog, too. Holy moly! I hope I can be interesting, haha!

And LASTLY: I was 180.1 this morning. SO CLOSE!!! And actually, that puts me below 30 BMI (29.97, to be exact) -- out of the obese BMI, yahoo!!!!!

Happy Thursday!!

~Terri

Last edited by taubele; 06-02-2011 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
I think I might also be seeing some healthy eating choices being made by my daughter lately as well. I never talk weight with her because my family did that to me in high school and it was hurtful. I think track may have lit a spark as she was required to work out in the HS weight room everyday. (Shot and disk) I'll keep inviting her to join us on our evening walks. Maybe this year she'll come more often. She has certainly never been terribly overweight, but both of my kids have some "jiggle issues" and I'd hate to see it get worse in college, as it often does.
I am there, too. I try to talk through my decision making process (foods and exercise) but not focus on weight, just to model it for our son. I do try to preach everything in moderation, but he seems to rebound from end to end. On the one hand, he called me from Disney and complained that there weren't any healthy meal choices; on the other, he won't think twice about snagging some chips or whatever is here, and he eats frozen yogurt almost daily. I know it's a learning process and he's a teen, so I'm giving a lot of leeway. But, then again, I was never taught or modeled how to eat properly, and I don't want the same for him. He is on the verge of his growth spurt (wish it would hurry up, already!), so it should be interesting to see how things shake out once that hits. These days I've been intimating that it might happen quicker the better the food he chooses to fuel his body . I wouldn't call him chubby, but he is "sturdy," probably about 5'1" and 107 or so.

And don't even get me started on the inequities of calorie burn!

Terri, GREAT news for you today! Go to the bathroom and then weigh yourself again . Nice, nice job on pushing through your workout. I'm glad your washer and dryer have arrived; laundry will be fun for a couple weeks!

Have a great trip, Julia...as always, you've really got your head on straight!
Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

There is a lot to read!

Almeeker, those steers were certainly not little! If I had had any chips available to me yesterday I would have definitely eaten them like there was no tomorrow, been having that craving for a while now. But you did get a workout from starting the garden!

Terri, it moved! Yey! The attitude worked but if you had that huge deficit last week it was only a matter of time for the scale to show something. Rooting for your under-180 to happen very soon! Also glad to hear your BF is fine and not causing you any extra stress. Hope you have a good trip to see your family and your grandfather, surely you can make your minigoal by then.

Mern, so happy to hear your burden has been lifted. You have been doing great and I hope that with the new recommendations from your doctor you can keep going strong.

My report;

Wednesday

1- Maintain a 1200 weekly average. 1223
2- Drink 3 L of water a day. Yes, No , Yes
3- Exercise 5 times during the week. Yes, Yes, Yes
4- Organize photos. Got some done, Didn't, Nope
5- Finish the report. No, No, No
Old 06-02-2011, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

1. I am posting now and will go back later today and comment on everyone's posts because everyone here deserves individual attention.

2. I am in such an awkward position! I have been living it up and trying to eat around every three hours/ when I'm hungry, but I keep getting distracted and forgetting/avoiding food! I do not understand why this is happening! Some days I am hungry enough to eat a small child where as lately, I'm just like "Food? Meh. I have sunlight." I'm going to bring it up to my doctor as soon as I get one. I’m kind of worried that I might have that seasonal affective disorder (depressed in winter, manic in summer).
-How should I compensate for all of the calories that I haven’t eaten?
-I do not want my metabolism to stop! I’m only 20, I need that sucker to stick around for a few more years!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.