Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Old 06-02-2011, 01:54 PM
FitDay Member

Mern,

I was looking at your #9. That's similar to what we do, too. 2-3 chicken nights, 2-3 fish nights and 2-3 vegetarian nights. Great tasting vegetarian dinners are pretty easy once you find 3 or 4 that you like that you can put into rotation. Let me know if you need some ideas, although I'm not sure how they would fit in with your diabetic needs.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

1. Limit calories to 1200* (average). 1184, 1208, 1196, 1220-forgot to log a piece of fruit early in the day
2. Exercise in some form or fashion 7 times. Weights, Cardio tennis, Cardio tennis, weights
3. Drink 64 oz. water daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Sleep 7 hours daily. 6.5, 6.5 (planned on more, but hubby was NOT packing quietly this morning!), No-no excuse, Yes!!!
5. Take all vitamins & supplements. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
6. 5 fruits & veggies per day. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
7. Journal; I've got to figure out why I keep slipping! Yes, Yes, No-out all day; too tired now, No-completely forgot
8. Log everything. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

9. Work on the Mom Cave. Yes, Not today, Not on the agenda today, Nothing more I can do right now
10. Catch up billing. Not today, Worked on it, Not today, Not today
11. Begin organizing photos. Not today
12. Smile more, bitch less . I wish; bad mood all day Yes, Pretty much, Yes!

Terri, my husband came home with a "man cold" from his work trip to Florida. Think your BF gave it to him ? I gave him OJ & vitamin C, showed him how to wash out his sinuses, and put him to bed. I hope I don't catch it!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 AM
FitDay Member

Thursday Report Card:

Health & Fitness:

1. Keep calories for the week at 10,500 (Monday is a cheat day). 2,645, 1,526, 2,306, 2,745 (total 9,222) this is starting to look like a really stupid and impossible goal for me.
2. Exercise 6 hours. 0 min, 57 min, 68 min + 1:15, 35 min (total 3:55)
3. Attempting at least 3 new workouts. N, Y, Y, Y
4. Use elliptical at least 100 min. N, 20 min, N, N
5. Drink 96+ oz of water. Y, Y, Y, Y
6. Average pie at 45/35/20. 46/18/37, 46/31/23, 50/17/33, 52/17/31
[/COLOR]

Other stuff:

7. Get DDs registered for fair by June 1st , it's JUNE people!!! NO, We picked up the book and found out registration is due June 10th, Whew. NO, NO
8. Get DDs to finish at least 1 4-H project. A little bit of progress, baby step, baby step, baby step
9. Take kids out for some sort of activity 2X. One has a friend over and DH took them to the movies. Went to the park and then let them get out the summer soak toys. Went to the farm and then swim club practice. Took them out to the farm and they got to stay overnight.
10. Get garden started. Too wet, Ditto, Spent 2 1/2 hours with the rototiller. NO
11. Weed flower beds at least 2 hours. N, N, N, N
12. Housekeeping
Monday, holiday
Tuesday, Upstairs bathroom, hallway, stairwell, living room, laundry.
Wednesday, Kitchen, downstairs bathroom, DD's bedroom, laundry.
Thursday, DD's bedroom, dining room, laundry.
Friday, Master bedroom, Den, laundry
Saturday, basement, front porch, laundry
Sunday, 1 cupboard, 1 closet

Well I did it, I told Mr. Screamy Pant's mother that I really couldn't take him for the summer. I feel bad, but at the same time relieved. He really wasn't fitting in at all here, and it was having a detrimental effect on my ability to take care of my own children. Not to mention the detrimental effect it was having on my BRAIN.

Yesterday was a real trial diet wise. I had a ton of errands to run and ended up eating fast food, which I don't do very often. I was driving and couldn't really eat a salad so I got a couple of snack wraps at McDonald's only to later discover that they have 270 calories EACH. I could make them at home for less than 100 calories each, so I was shocked that the fast food version was 3X higher. I won't make that mistake again. Then middle DD scored 2 goals plus an assist at her last soccer game so, she and I celebrated with an ice cream M&M sundae, now of course we used 90 calorie vanilla ice cream, but it was more than I can eat and maintain a deficit. Then my SIL called and asked if I could make cookies and peanut butter bonbons for my nephew's open house on Saturday. I'm already on the hook for brownies and peanut butter crispy treats. Apparently she's a lousy baker when she's stressed and had already burnt several dozen cookies by the time she called. DD and I made 14 dozen last night and will be making the brownies, bonbons and crispy treats today, so far I've only eaten 1 of each kind (a decent cook never serves something untried right?), hopefully I can keep that in check until I can drop them off later today. Still 4 cookies was a lot of calories on top of the err at McDonald's and the ice cream celebration. What can you do? Me, I'm going to push the rototiller for a couple of hours and blast through this little mini carb binge. Hopefully.

Julia, I'm glad to know that someone else has success with going off plan. Gives me hope. Yesterday as the calories started to pile up I thought about how you go off plan but don't lose control. 2,700 is a lot of calories for someone on a diet, but it could have been ever so much worse.

Mern, good for you sticking to your guns with the doctor. I've had a dose of that this morning myself. Middle DD suffers from ear infections all the time. She's had ear tubes, but it was a nightmare, she had an allergic reaction and then got a yeast infection in her ears that went on for months. She's also a competitive swimmer, so is in the pool several hours/week, ear tubes are not her solution. But do you think I can get a doctor to find a different solution? Um NOPE, but I'm standing firm on the issue. I swear every ear doctor she's seen was either a quack, or just plain rude and insulting. And not one of them was willing to listen to a soccer mom. I use unsweetened almond milk in my coffee instead of creamer. It's not as strong as bottled creamer, but it works for me.

Cassie great job on getting DH on plan. My DH is on plan for the most part, but he's rather stealth about it, so it's not quite the support system it could be. I'm working on the kids. The oldest is slowly coming about, the middle DD is naturally more healthy than the other two but occasionally has her junk food binge, our youngest might be a hopeless case, she's a natural junk food junkie. She'll eat some healthy stuff, but gravitates to junk food if left to her own devices.

Mike, thanks for the article pics. Good to know that beef has some health benefits especially given the unwieldy pile of it in the deep freezers.

Terri congrats on the book and the following interview situation, VERY COOL. You're plenty interesting, never doubt it.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-03-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

Well Cassie,

I was brave today and stepped on the scale. Up 4 lbs. from where I'd like to be and 6 lbs. from my all time low. Very doable to correct. Hoping some is monthly. However, I'm with you. Why do I keep doing this??? Then again, I suppose it's better to take off 4 or 5 lbs. than to let the entire weight loss creep back, like it always had before.

To be quite honest, I deserved far worse. I'll take my "spanking" and correct the gain. Thank goodness I was as active as I've been. I've kicked my walking and hiking into high gear for the past 3-4 weeks now that the weather has started to cooperate. Have to keep my head together with the weekend approaching, though. That's always a tight rope for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

almeeker,

Congrats on telling Mother Screamy Pants that she had to make other arrangements. I'm guilty, too, of taking on everything that is asked of me. (Must be part of being a SAHM.) But when it starts to cause issues within your own family, it's time to cut her loose.

That's the guide that I use. Spending so much time taking care of my mom, I have to be really careful that my own family comes first. I usually try to take care of all of her needs when they are at work and school being extra careful not to infringe on things planned with my husband or events that I need to attend at school.

Sometimes I get the feeling that when we make balancing so many things at once look effortless, no one appreciates just how much work it actually is.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for all the yays for the scale moving a little, haha!! It's still teasing me, though!

Cassie: Thanks very much for the encouragement! And haha, the man cold is going around! Oh no!! BF's whole shop has it now, apparently, and they got it from his boss -- did hubby happen to get his car fixed? Might be a "mechanic man cold epidemic!" I hope you don't catch it too!! I didn't catch BF's, maybe you need to have a Y chromosome

Main80: Thanks very much, I really am hoping to get to the 175 by June 23. We'll see! If not, if I am at least a good 2-3 pounds into the 170s, that will be acceptable to me. I miss my family very much, and am looking forward to it regardless!

mhibidon: Changing up cals (high-low-low-high-low or something) actually works really well for me. Maybe you're doing that without even realizing it! Your metabolism is probably on its toes!

Mern: Haha! I'm glad to reiterate what your doc has said - though I'd trust the MD way more than the PhD on that one. I think it's wonderful that you're determined to do everything you can for yourself without drugs - the commitment to doing what you SHOULD do, and what you WANT to do, without relying on a pill is really inspiring, and wonderful to read about. I've seen how the other way goes -- relying on a pill -- and I think your way is better, personally. Regardless, bravo on sticking to your guns. Awesome determination. I think your rules make a LOT of sense, and if you have any good vegetarian recipes, send 'em my way! BF might not touch them with a 10 foot pole, but who says I have to cook for him all the time? hehe.

almeeker: Way to go on putting your foot down about Mr. Screamy Pants. Your sanity and brain deserve better!! I think that you're being very sane about going off plan -- life happens. Those McD snack wraps are deceiving and I've made the same mistake that you did, thinking they were probably 150 cals each -- NOPE. They drown it in so much oil and salt it's amazing. I think you did a great job, personally! And I do hope I'm interesting enough for the interview. I'm kind of hoping that I do my usual, where I get a little stressed before and after an event happens -- but during, I'm cool as a cucumber. I just don't want to come off too nervous or say the wrong thing! It'll be a learning experience!

Thursday Report Card

Food, Exercise, Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit through a combination of eating and exercise M: +144 T: -777 W: -1,485 Th: -956 (Week Total: -3,074)
2) Do the 30 Day Shred every day (one day a week off for another physical activity): Th: yes
3) 1 Day of additional exercise/cardio this week: M-Th: N/A
4) At least 120 oz. of water daily M: No (unless beer counts!) T: yes W: yes Th: No (96)
5) Weekly carb average of 50% or less M: 38% T: 44% W: 38% Th: 46% (Week Average: 41.5%)
6) Weekly protein average of 30% or more M: 24% T: 33% W: 30% Th: 23% (Week Average: 27.5%)
7) Do not eat out more than twice for lunch and twice for dinner M: No eating out T: Out for Lunch W: No eating out Th: No eating out (Total 1 Lunch, 0 Dinners)

Other Life Stuff:
1) Smile more, bitch less! M: Heck yes T: BF was TRYING my patience, but I was too tired to bitch. W: yes!! Th: yes
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: yes (no makeup) T: yes (no makeup) W: yes Th: meh...
3) Journal or talk about my anxiety. Don't self-sabotage. M: Journaled T: Talked on phone with family W: No anxiety Th: No anxiety
4) Read articles every day. M: yes T: no, but had an 11-hour procedural day. W: yes Th: yes

Was talking yesterday with a couple of people about how the scale is budging more slowly than I would like (still 180.1 this morning -- though I know I shouldn't weigh every day, it's just so close! And yes, Cassie, I did go to the bathroom before stepping on scale both days ) and had suggestions for switching up my exercise - the more I thought about it, the more I tend to agree. Not skipping 2 days in a row was working for awhile, but now I feel like it's become a routine that feels sluggish to me - I need something more, and something different. I also think that since my cardio is pretty much ALWAYS on the elliptical due to the lack of other machines I can use with my ankle injury (except the stationary bike... and the seat hurts and the calorie burn is way lower than other machines) I think my body is getting kind of used to that motion.

I have decided to actually DO the 30-Day Shred, since I own it. Jillian kicks my butt, there's no two ways about it, but the workout is a good workout for the time (only half an hour, and my HRM said I burned 364 cals during it. If I do that every day, it's going to be similar to my 2-3 days a week of cardio burn). I remember not really being able to go through the whole way without stopping several times when I attempted the Shred in January. However, last night I did not have to stop except for one point, for about 10 seconds, because I tweaked my ankle doing the static lunges (the position of the back leg, with just the toes on the floor, does not feel good on my re-attached ligaments!) Other than that, I can do the whole routine.

So, I am going to be doing it for the next month (starting yesterday) - June 2 through July 2. My rule for it now is that I shall do it every day, with one day allowed off per week IF I am doing something else physical on that day. For example, I won't do it this Sunday because I am planning a round of disc golf with the BF, which involves a lot of walking and throwing, etc. and will be a good change of pace. Ideally, I'll also add on some extra days at the gym (maybe 2 per week to start, and then upping it to three when I'm not so sore!), probably mostly on the weekends. I am going to go home for a few days at the end of June, but there's no reason I can't pack the DVD and sweat in the living room of my parents' house

Thus, I've changed my goals up top! Don't panic! lol. Goal 2 is now "Do 30 Minute Shred Every day" and goal 3 is "additional exercise" I'm hoping the change perks me up - I'm sure it can't hurt!! I'm totally sore today in a way I haven't been in a good month, and that is a GOOD thing. I've heard (I think on these forums?) that 30 Day Shred might not make the scale move as much since it's mixed cardio/strength, but it will burn the inches, and I could use some inches coming off since that's also been fairly slow. The inches coming off might even make me feel BETTER than the scale moving - I'm going to take my measurements tonight. I still think the scale will move. Added bonus: It'll make me focus more on food, since the larger part of my deficit most days will be coming from eating. I haven't been necessarily slacking on eating good food, but I do tend to go "Oh, well, I'm doing cardio at the gym today and will burn 1,000 cals or so -- I can eat a few nachos" and I don't want to get into that mindset, because I think I'm making excuses for myself. This way, food will count more every day.

ALSO~~ I totally did 30 pushups. Ok, they were modified pushups, but PFT! I used to not even be able to do 5 of those things!

Happy Friday everyone!!

~Terri
Old 06-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Hey ladies, I didn't forget about y'all. I've been super busy trying to get my daughter's financial aid situated.

I haven't had a chance to read y'alls posts but I'll try later if I get a chance. Last night I ate Thai for dinner and I have NO IDEA how to calculate it, so I haven't even posted my numbers.

I'll check back later... I hope.

oh I forgot to mention. I have an MRI scheduled for Tuesday morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 06-03-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:56 AM
FitDay Member

mhibdon, I don't think your metabolism is about to quit on you. And from your report you are eating reasonably, as long as you are not starving yourself on purpose I think it's normal to have days you just don't feel like eating much. And like they mentioned its actually good to calorie cycle to keep the body guessing.

Terri. Good luck with your new workout plan, sounds like you have thought it thru, its great you can now do the workout without stopping. You are going to do great in the interview btw!

Mern, that lists sounds very good I actually got a little hungry from reading all the foods, congratulations on trying to manage your "numbers" thru your diet. I think with the fish oil at night change and your tenacity you will soon see results. Do you like mushrooms? I love them and I find that I don't even miss meat if I substitute it with mushrooms.

Almeeker, its tough when you are out and then baking all day! Hope you managed to get the cookies out of your house soon.

Quinn, great attitude, you can surely get back on track!

Cassie, my report is for a training I delivered in an organization I volunteered for, its helpful for the participants to keep things in mind, but no one is asking for it and as long as I give it before July its ok, so thats why I keep delaying it. I really wanted to work on it yesterday after I could hear you tell me to just do it but couldn't .

I am off camping over the weekend, we will see how that affects the calories and hopefully I have some energy left on Sunday to work on the report .

Have a good weekend!

Thursday

1- Maintain a 1200 weekly average. 1203
2- Drink 3 L of water a day. Yes, No , Yes, Yes
3- Exercise 5 times during the week. Yes, Yes, Yes, No
4- Organize photos. Got some done, Didn't, Nope, No
5- Finish the report. No, No, No, No Sorry Cassie
Old 06-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker

Well I did it, I told Mr. Screamy Pant's mother that I really couldn't take him for the summer. I feel bad, but at the same time relieved. He really wasn't fitting in at all here, and it was having a detrimental effect on my ability to take care of my own children. Not to mention the detrimental effect it was having on my BRAIN.
Good for you!!!!! Where was my invite to the carb party?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM
FitDay Member

Did someone say "Carb Party"??? I'm in!!!

*Friday*

Back To Discipline:
Food and Fitness

1. 1200 calories/day with the exception of Tuesday. (Son's birthday) 1150 plus a piece of cake. 777 (Long story.) 1065 (Not intentional...just not hungry) 1460 (date night)
2. Walk two miles per day minimum, weather permitting. Two 2 mile walks. At least 3 miles. 2 miles. 2 miles.
3. LOG EVERYTHING! Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Take multivitamin, flax and vitamin E daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

Well, I had an interesting night around this time last night. I was on my laptop, just as I am now, when I heard a dog scratching to come in, which would be cool if I owned a dog... Next, I heard a loud, squealing pig outside my window, which would be cool if I owned a pig... I yelled for my husband and he walked out on our deck thinking it was a big raccoon that had tried to steal our bird feeder a couple of nights earlier. It turned out to be a black bear mom and her year old cub. (The pig noise is the sound of a cub in distress, I later found out.) The scratching was the bear trying to reach the suet and birdseed.

So tonight, most normal people would remove the food, right??? Not my husband. Oh no. He put up more to try and get a good look at it tonight. Really??? Who does that? So, I'm kind of jumping at every sound right now, trying to get my food logged for the day... LOL I'm ready to tie a pork chop to his neck and send him out looking for it!

Last edited by quinnesec; 06-03-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.