The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread >

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Community
Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
FitDay Member

Finding the right amount of calories I need seems to be tough.
I started out saying "an easy 1500 - 1600" Then i did more research, and you can go as low as 1000 and be fine. So i thought.. well if i want to change i'd better change it to 1100-1200
so i did.
BUT NOW I'M STARVING AND FATIGUED.
Maybe its because I ate sugar yesterday, or because of the foods i'm choosing.
or maybe because working out makes me hungrier...
Right now i'm really doubting myself, I've already eatten almost all of my daily limit of calories today.
I'm thinking I should bump it up to 1300 til I lose some weight, and lower my calories as I lower my body mass.Today I'm not as optimistic as yesterday.
My muscles hurt, my legs wouldn't move as fast as I wanted when working out today. My back must have some serious muscle workout from running maybe my heavy breathing caused my rib cage to expand... thats how it feels anyways.. Whole torso hurts.
I still managed to burn 260 cal but I'm miserable. I've done a lot of misery-snaking. Grapes, Berries, carrots, THEN CHIPS!! Only 3 chips but.. gosh what was I thinking -_- Maybe chicken wraps aren't a good starter meal for me. Gunna stick to super heavy food in the mornings. Like potato. High starch but it really held me over yesterday and low amount of calories so I could eat a lot of it.

How does everyone feel about potato ? How do you decide the perfect calorie limit for yourself?
Will this hunger pass? Will my body get used to eating less ? ?

Sorry for complaining so much, I'm a major wimp with self-control issues..

& Thanks in advanced anyone who replies.

Last edited by Misery16226; 03-11-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Misery16226
As for the 10% challenge Michael ?
I WANT TO TRY THIS! Can I join in too???????
Maybe I will do it by myself either way, but I'd prefer to participate with everyone else if that's allowed.
10% of 250 is 25 pounds, so i would have to lose 25 pounds ? That would be pretty awesome XD .. numbers might be less if I lose any weight this month.
The current challenge ends on 4/1 (started on 1/1). You can certainly add your name to the list, if you like. I'll be starting a new thread for the Fourth of July 10% Challenge on 4/1.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Finding the right amount of calories I need seems to be tough.
I started out saying "an easy 1500 - 1600" Then i did more research, and you can go as low as 1000 and be fine. So i thought.. well if i want to change i'd better change it to 1100-1200
so i did.
BUT NOW I'M STARVING AND FATIGUED.
Maybe its because I ate sugar yesterday, or because of the foods i'm choosing.
or maybe because working out makes me hungrier...
Right now i'm really doubting myself, I've already eatten almost all of my daily limit of calories today.
I'm thinking I should bump it up to 1300 til I lose some weight, and lower my calories as I lower my body mass.Today I'm not as optimistic as yesterday.
My muscles hurt, my legs wouldn't move as fast as I wanted when working out today. My back must have some serious muscle workout from running maybe my heavy breathing caused my rib cage to expand... thats how it feels anyways.. Whole torso hurts.
I still managed to burn 260 cal but I'm miserable. I've done a lot of misery-snaking. Grapes, Berries, carrots, THEN CHIPS!! Only 3 chips but.. gosh what was I thinking -_- Maybe chicken wraps aren't a good starter meal for me. Gunna stick to super heavy food in the mornings. Like potato. High starch but it really held me over yesterday and low amount of calories so I could eat a lot of it.

How does everyone feel about potato ? How do you decide the perfect calorie limit for yourself?
Will this hunger pass? Will my body get used to eating less ? ?

Sorry for complaining so much, I'm a major wimp with self-control issues..

& Thanks in advanced anyone who replies.
Well, I generally avoid potatos as they are pretty much all carbs. I try to keep a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat balance for my daily calories.

It really sounds like you might want to up your protein intake a bit as protein tends to keep you full longer (and is needed for muscle growth).

I like to spread my calories out a bit--300 for breakfast (high protein), 100 for mid-morning snack (fruit), 300 for lunch and 800 for supper/late snack for a total of 1500. This helps keep blood sugar more consistant and it's never long to wait for my next meal. I make sure to NEVER run out of calories before evening as that is a recipie for disaster.

In between, drink loads of water and keep busy--boredom is probably the worst enemy of a good eating plan.

Regards,
Michael

PS If you can lose a pound or two a week at a slightly higher calorie level it might be a better plan than going low cal for a while but "cheating" due to hunger.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Well, I generally avoid potatos as they are pretty much all carbs. I try to keep a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat balance for my daily calories.

It really sounds like you might want to up your protein intake a bit as protein tends to keep you full longer (and is needed for muscle growth).

I like to spread my calories out a bit--300 for breakfast (high protein), 100 for mid-morning snack (fruit), 300 for lunch and 800 for supper/late snack for a total of 1500. This helps keep blood sugar more consistant and it's never long to wait for my next meal. I make sure to NEVER run out of calories before evening as that is a recipie for disaster.

In between, drink loads of water and keep busy--boredom is probably the worst enemy of a good eating plan.

Regards,
Michael

PS If you can lose a pound or two a week at a slightly higher calorie level it might be a better plan than going low cal for a while but "cheating" due to hunger.

Thanks Michael.
I'll try to eat more protein.. problem is that animal products are higher calorie.
That's why I was filling up on carbs with small portions of protein-high foods.
So before I adjust my calorie intake, I'll try more protein. If that doesn't work I'll probably put my calorie limit up by 100 - 150 calories. Just gonna keep trying different things I guess till I find the right balance.

As for the 4th of July challenge, I will definitely join that Even though my method is a lil messy/broken right now.. I'm going to do my best efforts to see if I can lose 25 pounds which isn't just 10% of my weight.. That's 1/4 of my major goal. Are you going to be taking on the July 4th 10% challenge ??

Even if I haven't lost weight I did learn something = When I wasn't counting my calories I must have been eating over 2000 a day, perhaps even more. I didn't ever record that but, I didn't really try to control my eating. I would eat 3 eggs instead of 1, 2 sandwiches instead of 1, heaping plate of pasta WITH BREAD ON THE SIDE, .. Always more then 1 helping of something. I used to think "I don't even eat that much, why do I gain so much weight?"
Now I know I ate double what I need!!!!
I'm glad that I'm learning about myself. I might be addicted to food, using it as a comfort drug..I've never seen the connection of my emotions and my eating until now. Didn't even think my eating was the problem at all. Blamed it on my inactivity.

I hope I reached my mini goal this week(2pounds). Could use some optimism.

Last edited by Misery16226; 03-11-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Thanks Michael.
I'll try to eat more protein.. problem is that animal products are higher calorie.
So before I adjust my calorie intake, I'll try more protein. If that doesn't work I'll probably put my calorie limit up by 100 - 150 calories. Just gonna keep trying different things I guess till I find the right balance.

As for the 4th of July challenge, I will definitely join that Even though my method is a lil messy/broken right now.. I'm going to do my best efforts to see if I can lose 25 pounds which isn't just 10% of my weight.. That's 1/4 of my major goal. Are you going to be taking on the July 4th 10% challenge ??

Even if I haven't lost weight I did learn something = When I wasn't counting my calories I must have been eating over 2000 a day, perhaps even more. I didn't ever record that but, I didn't really try to control my eating. I would eat 3 eggs instead of 1, 2 sandwiches instead of 1, heaping plate of pasta WITH BREAD ON THE SIDE, .. Always more then 1 helping of something. I used to think "I don't even eat that much, why do I gain so much weight?"
I'm glad that I'm learning about myself. I might be addicted to food, using it as a comfort drug..I've never seen the connection of my emotions and my eating until now. Didn't even think my eating was the problem at all. Blamed it on my inactivity.

Oh yes, I'll be doing the Fourth of July Challenge as well. I managed to reach the April Fool's Day Challenge early--am 32 lbs. down since New Years day (30 was 10%).

Now, I think you'll find that lean protein is really fairly low in cals. Yes, it's more "dense" than carbs and may not look as big on the plate but it takes much longer to digest per calorie so helps keep you satisfied. Look at skinless chicken, turkey and lean ham. Even lean beef isn't really bad at all, in reasonable quantities. Eggs are good (or egg beaters which are lower in both fat and calories but still high in protein).

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Michael.

You've got a great approach and attitude Misery I just wanted to chime in and say that trying lots of different things and seeing what works tends to be the bulk of weight loss strategy Everyone is a little different. For instance, Michael up there has a 40 (carbs)/30 (protein) /30 (fat) ratio, whereas I find that I do better on a 50/30/20 ratio (though I do switch it up from time to time. I tend to do "high-protein" days where I get that protein up to 40% or even higher, so it's more like 40/40/20)

Also, if you feel hungry or ravenous on 1000-1200 even after upping your protein (which should help), there's no problem in going up to 1300 or 1400. I weigh less than you and I find that if I go more than 3 days under 1200 I start to feel the crazy munchies. 1300 is much more of a "doable" number for me, and my limit started at 1500 and has eked down to 1400. Everyone is different. Just find what works, you're on the right track!

Also, on the subject of lean protein....ever considered fish? or seafood in general!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by taubele
You've got a great approach and attitude Misery I just wanted to chime in and say that trying lots of different things and seeing what works tends to be the bulk of weight loss strategy Everyone is a little different. For instance, Michael up there has a 40 (carbs)/30 (protein) /30 (fat) ratio, whereas I find that I do better on a 50/30/20 ratio (though I do switch it up from time to time. I tend to do "high-protein" days where I get that protein up to 40% or even higher, so it's more like 40/40/20)

Also, if you feel hungry or ravenous on 1000-1200 even after upping your protein (which should help), there's no problem in going up to 1300 or 1400. I weigh less than you and I find that if I go more than 3 days under 1200 I start to feel the crazy munchies. 1300 is much more of a "doable" number for me, and my limit started at 1500 and has eked down to 1400. Everyone is different. Just find what works, you're on the right track!

Also, on the subject of lean protein....ever considered fish? or seafood in general!
Just right, Misery--I forgot fish, even though I love it. And yes, every body is different and you'll have to figure out what calorie balance works best for you. The "Zone" diet says to keep a 40/30/30 mix for every meal. That is way too much hassle for me--I like to keep it simple and just shoot for that as a daily/weekly average. I'll certainly have days when protien or carbs are higher.

You may very well do better with a higher carb or protein level. I also agree about upping cals if necessary (but make the "good" calories, please). You don't want to derail your plan by trying to starve yourself (been there, done that!).

Regards,
Michael

PS Taubele, a big Congrats to you for dipping fimly into the "ones"--making a "Century" is always a great milestone. Keep it up!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco
PS Taubele, a big Congrats to you for dipping fimly into the "ones"--making a "Century" is always a great milestone. Keep it up!
Thanks Michael!!! I am still doing the happy dance about it days later, lol! I'm definitely joining in the next 10% challenge as well. You and I seem to be very similar - I tend to shoot for daily averages or weekly overalls as well. It's just easier. I am careful about my food, but I don't want to become obsessed with too many details, it just doesn't work for me at all. I don't want to be beating myself up every meal!

And congrats to you on hitting your 10% goal early, must feel great!

~Terri
Old 03-12-2011, 05:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by taubele
Thanks Michael!!! I am still doing the happy dance about it days later, lol! I'm definitely joining in the next 10% challenge as well. You and I seem to be very similar - I tend to shoot for daily averages or weekly overalls as well. It's just easier. I am careful about my food, but I don't want to become obsessed with too many details, it just doesn't work for me at all. I don't want to be beating myself up every meal!

And congrats to you on hitting your 10% goal early, must feel great!

~Terri
Terri, thanks, and yes, I'm feeling Teeeeeerific! Just got back from a 2 mile walk--a far cry from 10 short months ago when I would literally have to drive to the end of my 100 yard driveway to get the mail.

It seems like I'm still losing about 12 lbs a month, though I do keep upping my walking distance. Once summer hits (I have the summer off) I'll be hitting the exercise/weights hard. My goal is to climb Mt. Katadin (Maine's highest peak) in the fall and it's going to be quite a challenge.

Yes, I like to keep things simple--makes it much easier to stick to, I think. A lady I work with (who had the lap band) is putting her husband on a diet. She has complex spreadsheets with each day broken down into meals with calories, carbs, fat, protein, etc., ect. anti-inflammatory, low-fat, pretty much everything you can think of. Is that really neccessary? I know about how long I would put up with that, and it's not long (which is why I love FitDay--perhaps 5 minutes a day to log food/exercise and you're done, well, and the hours spent posting in the forum ).

Again, well done on being under 200--I was planning on getting there by the end of the year but I'm pretty confident now that I'll be there by the end of the summer.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to Misery...I spend about 3 hours cooking chicken in various disguises once/week and eat 2 oz. 4-5 times a day with veggies or ???. The protein really prevents hunger and keeps me on track.
Looking forward to weigh in tomorrow.
Congratulations, Michael.
Lois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.