Notices

Need Help or Advice....

Old 06-11-2010, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Need Help or Advice....

I am in desperate need of help and I hope that someone can give me advice.

Since January, I have been doing Crossfit as my workout. I have stayed on a plan of working out 5 days a week, but did take off most of the month of March due to my wedding and honeymoon. Since coming back from the wedding, I have been able to really step up my workouts and devote more time to getting myself in top physical shape. I do a lot of deadlifts, weighted squats, kettlebell exercises etc. Also, one of my 5 days is devoted to running. My diet is composed of eating clean food almost all of the time with one day during the weekend as a cheat day. I just started monitoring my calories on Fit Day and it ranges from 1,300 – 1,600.

My issue is that In January, I started Crossfit weighing 125 – 128. Several weeks ago I weighed myself again and I was 138. Two weeks later I was 135. This morning I was 139.

I am having a lot of gains in my workout by being able to lift more, but I am pretty depressed that the scale keeps going up, and I haven’t seen any changes in my measurements either. In fact, some of pants feel even tighter, but I don’t see how it is possible for me to be “gaining” weight when I am eating so healthy working out so hard.

Has anyone had problems like this in the past?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM
FitDay Member

My advice would to be to go by how you look in the mirror or feel vs. what the scale/measurements say. If you're so gung-ho about cross-fit, it's likely that you're gaining muscle, which size for size is a lot heavier/denser than fat. You've probably built up a little bit all over, so it's spread out all over your body without making you look more muscular, but the scale doesn't care about that. All your scale will say is that you've gained more weight.

Exercises like squats and deadlifts, as well as most kettlebell movements, are killer core exercises. You may not necessarily "feel the burn" there, but your body might still be reinforcing those muscles, causing your waist circumference to increase a little.

As long as you don't look or feel flabby, you're heading in the right direction.