FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 8/27/12 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/8133-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-8-27-12-a.html)

01gt4.6 08-29-2012 09:05 AM

Mern, it'll be out for at least a day. They don't send the power crews out to restore power until it is safe for them. The latest news is that Isaac has downgraded to a tropical storm but in bad new... it hasn't moved in two hours. It just sitting still spinning.

Mern 08-29-2012 09:52 AM

Did you plan ahead to save your meats and other perishables in a cooler chest with ice?

Are ya gonna make good use of the dark for romancing GF? ;)

Did you get any good footage of the storm?

judipurple 08-29-2012 10:56 AM

Mern - good investigative reporting - the local news could really use you! lol

So, Mike - weeeellllll???

frenchhen3 08-29-2012 11:38 AM

Yes mike... Well.....???????

Mern 08-29-2012 12:00 PM

Judi and Frenchhen. :)

Cassie, I was amazed to get a reply from the Vitacost, the manufacturers of my low carb Walker Diet Shake Mix, to my email asking for a more complete fat breakdown. The nutrition label lists 6g total fat, but only 1g sat fat and the other 5g are unaccounted for. The same customer service rep followed through after relaying the question to the manufacturing department. She replied today: "The polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats would each be less than 0.5g per serving: anything above that is required to be listed in the Supplement Facts panel. Some of the fats are from other sources, as in hi-oleic omega fatty acids, so that's where the balance of the 5 grams comes in." The ingredients label does list "high oleic sunflower oil."

01gt4.6 08-29-2012 12:36 PM

Pimp daddy took care of her. I don't need the darkness for anything. If I want it dark, I'll flip a switch. ;) she did tick me off because I was putting the perishables in the cooler and she started getting pissy with me.

Mern 08-29-2012 12:44 PM

Aw, glad pimp daddy took care of GF :p ;)

Had to be irritating to have to put the perishables in the cooler, but thank God for ice and coolers, eh? Sorry GF got pissy, though.

I hope your electricity is restored soon.

Big dry, safe hug to ya!

cjohnson728 08-29-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 88366)
Pimp daddy took care of her. I don't need the darkness for anything. If I want it dark, I'll flip a switch. ;) she did tick me off because I was putting the perishables in the cooler and she started getting pissy with me.

Please, no film at 11. Hurricane vids only!

Mern, I'm glad they got back to you so quickly. I was under the same impression...that they just didn't have to list it. But the other things it could be, in this case at least, are healthy! I hope all goes well tomorrow at the doc's.

01gt4.6 08-29-2012 01:02 PM

No, Cassie you have nothing to worry about.

01gt4.6 08-29-2012 02:15 PM

Well my phone is slow right now. I think a cell tower probably went down. This damn storm just won't go away. The wind and the rain is picking up. Still now flooding here but I think at this pace our streets will flood. I hope it moves on soon so the power crews can get out here and restore the power to the city. I hope that we have power by Friday but that may be wishful thinking.

ToriD1012 08-29-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 88361)
Are ya gonna make good use of the dark for romancing GF? ;)

Originally Posted by judipurple (Post 88362)
So, Mike - weeeellllll???

Originally Posted by frenchhen3 (Post 88363)
Yes mike... Well.....???????

omg!!!!!! y'all are all NASTY!!! he's like my other older brother, and little sisters don't need to be hearing about their brothers "romancing" their GFs....I puked a little bit in my mouth.....

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 88367)
Aw, glad pimp daddy took care of GF

ewwwwww

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 88368)
Please, no film at 11. Hurricane vids only!

I concur, I concur!!!

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 88366)
Pimp daddy took care of her. I don't need the darkness for anything. If I want it dark, I'll flip a switch.

uuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh :GAG: I'm gonna have nightmares :(:(

01gt4.6 08-29-2012 02:52 PM

:eek::cool:

nobe 08-29-2012 03:09 PM

Well today was a disaster. I figure rather than giving up when I screw up like I've been doing the past few weeks, I'll own up to it like I should be doing. I let myself get too hungry and fast food lunch started calling my name. Then I felt yucky and no exercise was had. Ugh.

calories <1600 - 1449, 1634, 2139
water >64oz - 64oz, 64oz, maybe 48?
protein > 20% - 20%, 21%, 18%
take vitamins - yes, yes, yes
move - worked 8hrs/walked to and from work, worked 8hrs/walked to and from work, unless you count cleaning the van - nothing

nobe 08-29-2012 03:16 PM

Ok, spammer.

cjohnson728 08-29-2012 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For teh spammerz

cjohnson728 08-29-2012 03:48 PM

1. Calorie limit 1300. 1282, 1264, 1237
2. Balance pie chart & follow fiber/fat guidelines. Yes, Yes, Yes
3. Drink 72 oz. fluid, at least. 72, 72, 72
4. Sleep 7 hours. 5.5, 7, <5
5. Exercise 6 hours total for the week. 60 min., 30 min, 30 min..
6. Eat at least 4 fruits/veggies per day. 4, 3, 5
7. Take all vitamins and supplements. Yes, Yes, Yes
8. Eat clean. Fair, Good, Good
9. Log everything and post goal progress daily. Yes, Yes, Yes

dar n 08-29-2012 04:55 PM

Goals:
Walk 15k: M=3.1k,T=0, W=0
Exercise 2 days: M=N, T=N, W=N
Squats 4 days: M=Y, T=Y, W=N
Ab work 4 days: M=Y, T=Y, W=N
Calories less than 1400: M=1255, T=1249, W=973(worked o/t and didn't want to eat at 9pm ughh)
Calorie deficit of 5000 for week: M=-756, T=-683, W=-988
No sugar: M=N, T=Y, W=Y

01gt4.6 08-29-2012 05:14 PM

Well I had a close call. I went outside to get my phone, it was charging in GFs truck. I saw my new neighbor outside with a flashlight. Went to check on him and he was digging a trench because his house started to flood. I ran home grabbed shoes and a shovel, came back and helped him finish his. Then we checked on my house. Water was getting high on the side of my house so we dug a trench for mine to get the water to drain. THEN another neighbor had her house about to flood so we went there and dug a trench for her too.

That's it for now. Thanks for whacking that spammer. :) I would have rathered had a hammer than a shovel in my hand! ;)

Hadena 08-29-2012 08:00 PM

I think I need to start posting in here. Had lots of parties and trips away this week, so I fell off the wagon completely. Two days to recover until Saturday, when I must weigh in. :( Oh well, hopefully goal setting and posting here will keep me motivated.

Calories <1400: M=Y T=N W=N T=1370 (if I stick to plan!)
Run 5x a week: M=N T=Y W=N
Resistance bands/ strength training 5x a week:M=Y T=N W=N
9 Glasses of water/other drinks: M=? T=? W=?

Mern 08-29-2012 11:34 PM

Hadena, welcome. :) I hope you find this group as motivating as I do. Nice goals.

Mike, how well did your trench work. Any water get in the house?

Nobe, sending you blessings. Give yourself credit for hanging in there and making yourself post! One of my biggest pitfalls, too, is letting myself get too hungry and then I cave into cheat foods. I'd count cleaning the van as legitimate exercise--it's extra work that you don't do every day.

Cassie, SPECTACULAR report this week so far--except for the sleep (but hooray for that one day of 7 hours. LOL on the thumbtag for the spammer.

Tori, romancin' ain't nasty--OK, except, in your case, if it's your big brother. :p But I can think of that without envisioning "the act" itself. That's where your mind SHOULD fade to black. So WHO is NASTY??? :D The greeting card DH gave me for our 41st wedding anniversary read "Let's kiss each other once for every year we've been together...I had another suggestion, but it might kill us." He's 72 and I'm 66.

Wednesday report
Calorie limit 1500: 1088, 1293, 1169
Total fat calories limit 35% of total calories: 41% 33%, 34g
Saturated fat limit 8% of total calories: 14%, 9%, 9%
Meat, poultry and fish limit 5 oz. per day: YES, YES, YES
Cholesterol under 200mg: 101mg, 189mg, calling it green at 204mg
Net carbs (total carbs less fiber) 25g: 23g, 25g, 25
Fiber minimum 25g: 25g, 43g, 26g
Protein minimum 120g: 103g, 156g, 149mg
Exercise 5 days: day off, NO, NO
Water 64 oz.: No, maybe 48 oz., [COLOR=Green]YES
Remember to take both morning and evening supplements: Half, YES, YES
Nutritious evening snack that won't take me off target:
Monday: sugar free chocolate,
Tuesday:celery stuffed with reduced fat cheese and olives and half a protein shake
Wednesday: protein shake with fresh strawberries added

01gt4.6 08-30-2012 12:51 AM

Mern, it was enough to save my house. Latest work is that my bros house is taking on water.

Hunny24 08-30-2012 01:08 AM

Hope things get better for you and your house soon Mike!

Ran for 20 mins and lifted last night. Besides my birthday debacle with the diet on Sunday, I have been eating really well but the scale is not moving. Better than gaining I guess but I thought I would see something by now and nothing. Usually I will have a cup of coffee with my sugar free creamer (can't give that up) and some Egg beaters with ham for breakfast, fruit or string cheese for a snack, then salad with chicken and chicken or fish and veggies for dinner. Maybe I need to eat more snacks to see the scale move? Any ideas?

Hope everyone is finishing the week strong, even if the earlier part of the week has been a struggle. Will be going to the gym tonight since its going to be in the mid 90's again here....I never thought I would say this but I am kinda looking forward to fall coming so the weather isn't as hot all the time.

ToriD1012 08-30-2012 01:19 AM

Mern-it's not that I was envisioning anything, believe me, I wasn't. It's one of those things that you know happens, you just don't want to hear anything about your brother/sister. :p

01gt4.6 08-30-2012 01:24 AM

Update

YouTube - Missy Elliot - The Rain

judipurple 08-30-2012 01:26 AM

OMG - Tori, you just cracked me up, girl! Besides, Mike started it -->posting those pix (the march 2011 centerfold - ooo-la-la)...:p Like I tell my kids - I might be married and 50-odd - but I ain't DEAD!

Sorry Mike. Had to. ;):eek:

Sorry, Tori - :: here's a barf bag:::cool:

frenchhen3 08-30-2012 01:27 AM

Log all food. Good, bad and ugly. M,T,W
Walk at least 10000 steps a day. 14,652, 10,046,13270
Take supplements. M,T,W
Drink 64 oz of water daily. M,T,W
Keep caloric intake below 1800 each day. M,T,W

Hope that storm pushes off soon. Mike, it is good you have and are a good neighbor.

Okay everyone it is THURSDAY.... Time to re-group if you need to re-group and gear up for the last few days of this weeks' goal! NO EXCUSES!!!

judipurple 08-30-2012 01:55 AM

Ok, enuff horseplay - time to get serious!

Didn't walk yesterday, but driving a bus for 5 hours counts according to FitDay!
Numbers were ok, carbs a wee bit higher than I like, but the scale and the tape measure are still reading in the 'right' direction, so I won't complain.

Calories: 1,472 Fats: 83.9 Carbs: 81.4 Proteins: 105.9

Only have a bit of time before I have to go out to my next bus run, so have to head to the feed store. Will check in later.

01gt4.6 08-30-2012 04:12 AM

Okay ladies, another update means another music video. I plugged an extension cord to my neighbors generator and I powered up my fridge and a couple small fans. She here you go! >>> YouTube - Snap - I ve Got The power

Mern 08-30-2012 06:59 AM

Follow-up appointment today with my doc on last week's blood test.
1. Due to success of lowering my blood sugar from pre-diabetic to normal and lowering total cholesterol to normal and LDL cholesterol to almost normal through diet alone, I am graduating to tests and dr. conferences every four months instead of every three. :D

2. She approved of my following the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) diet, modifying it to 9% of total calories from saturated fat instead of the 7%--because the 7% truly impossible for me to achieve given my 25g net carb limit and she's opposed to increasing my protein intake. BUT I've been able to achieve only about 1150 calories per day and she wants me to have at least 1200 calories. She set up an appointment with the dietitian her practice uses to help me either find foods to increase my calories without exceeding my carb and fat limits, or perhaps modifying my plan to allow for more total fat.

3. My triglycerides rising despite total cholesterol and LDL coming down could be due to heredity, my metabolic syndrome, lack of weight loss these past three months. I did increase my exercise intensity, but it didn't help. She suggested changing up my exercise to not do the same exercise more than two days per week. So I'll be making an appointment with a senior citizen advisor at the gym sometime soon.

Oh, Mike! So glad the trench worked and you got plugged into the emergency generator. I was wondering last night if people in LA use those. People here in the midwest invest in them for tornados. How much water did your bro get?

Ann, is your birthday on the 24th or 26th? I just had a "summit" with my doc this morning and, among other topics, discussed having such a hard time losing weight despite the fact that the diet I was following (that I worked out with her) helped reduce my cholesterol and blood sugar to normal, but I've pretty much stalled on weight loss the past three months. I've forgotten what you do for exercise. Doc said that even though I had bumped up my 30 minute treadmill walking from level 1 intensity to level 4 and break a sweat and my heart rate is at 80% of max for 30 minutes, my body may have gotten used to that exercise. She advised not doing the same exercise more than twice per week. And she told me to not eat below 1200 calories.

Tori, I was just teasing about you envisioning Mike and GF. But thanks for the amusement. LOL

Judi, I get a kick out of teasing Mike and Tori. I found it fun that you joined in. :) OK, driving a bus must burn some kind of calories with turning those corners--I'm sure it's not as easy as in a compact car. Kudos on all your hard work that are netting you lower scale and tape measure numbers. :)

Frenchhen, kudos on your inspiring reports this week! Thanks for your encouragement to the group to gear up for the last few days of the week with no excuses.

cjohnson728 08-30-2012 11:03 AM

Mern, that's awesome news that your doc is on board and you have a bit more information to go on. Keep us posted on how it all works out! I think they are all good, solid thoughts and the plan makes a lot of sense.

Can't help but compare it to some of the wacky stuff that's out there ;). Good, old fashioned paying attention to what you eat, and exercise, is the way to go!

cjohnson728 08-30-2012 11:19 AM

Mike, glad your plugged in for now. How's your brother's house?

nichaleh 08-30-2012 01:32 PM

Hi everyone,
Sorry I have been MIA this week, I'm trying to get ahead in my studies so I don't have to worry when I go away next week. WOO HOO! 6 day grown up only holiday with all the girls I am so excited! I leave on Thursday morning.

So this week started well, but the last 5 days the scales have been rock solid, my calories have been too high to lose weight though at least I am not gaining. I told myself I was just having a little break and maintaining for a few days which is fine, then I ate a schnitzel sandwich, 2 potato cakes, a large piece of battered deep fried fish, a dim sim, and a huge chocolate bar yesterday. :-o Time for me to reign it back in before it gets out of hand.
So I'm logging and posting today (friday) and over the weekend and for the first half of next week too until I go.

GOALS:

calories- 1350
carbs - 33% max
vegies- 3- 5 serves
fruit - 1-2 serves
Exercise- at least 1 hour in total over the 3 days, I can do that surely?

01gt4.6 08-30-2012 02:29 PM

This is for all my old school ladies... back when music was music!
YouTube - Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now

The rain is gone! My bros house took on about a foot or so of water downstairs, which is a storage area and his garage. His standby generator took a dump today. I went there to try to fix it but was unsuccessful. I did send Tori a video of me wading through the water. She was actually nice to me and said that between that and digging the trench that I deserved a nap. I think maybe someone was playing with the dosage of her antipsychotic meds because she's not usually that nice. :confused:

cjohnson728 08-30-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 88430)
She was actually nice to me and said that between that and digging the trench that I deserved a nap. I think maybe someone was playing with the dosage of her antipsychotic meds because she's not usually that nice. :confused:

It was your near brush with death. I guess it made her realize she would really miss you if you were gone.

01gt4.6 08-30-2012 03:15 PM

Miss me or miss harassing me?

Mern 08-30-2012 03:25 PM

Cassie, thanks so much for your encouragement. Doc unnecessarily apologized for not knowing how to help me adjust my TLC diet goals and said her dietitian is more skilled, but I reminded her how far SHE brought me from pre-diabetic and high cholesterol to normal numbers for both--and LDL is almost normal. I'm just gettng some help from the dietitian and doc and I will take it from there. She assured me the dietitian will be fine with my low carbing at 25g net carbs and will work on helping me achieve at least 1200 calories per day and adjust my total and sat fat targets to something that will work for me. It may be trial and error for a while like Doc and I did for the past 15 months, but hey, we each have to find what works best for us. :) I told Doc I don't know if it's real or psychological, but since I've been on this trial "best as I can modify it alone" TLC diet for a week I feel better physically--more energy and I noticed I can for the first time in years descend stairs with no pain in my knees. Nice to have a pro here to cyber-analyze Tori's niceness to Mike. :D

Nichaleh, great job on getting ahead in your studies and curbing the food indulgences. I hope you have a wonderful holiday. Great to set those reasonable goals. :)

Mike, aw, I hope that foot of water doesn't do too much damage to your bro's house. Did he find another solution to the blown generator? I really got the giggles over Tori being nice to you over the video of you wading through the water. :p

Mern 08-30-2012 03:27 PM

Mike, thanks for popping in to let us know you're OK there in Slidell. It looked really scary there on CNN News when they were talking about Lake Pontchartrain spilling over!

cjohnson728 08-30-2012 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Darlene, how are you doing today?

Nicaleh, sounds like a wonderful trip you have planned!

1. Calorie limit 1300. 1282, 1264, 1237, 1283
2. Balance pie chart & follow fiber/fat guidelines. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
3. Drink 72 oz. fluid, at least. 72, 72, 72, 72
4. Sleep 7 hours. 5.5, 7.5, <5, 6.5
5. Exercise 6 hours total for the week. 60 min., 30 min, 30 min., 30 min..
6. Eat at least 4 fruits/veggies per day. 4, 3, 5, 3
7. Take all vitamins and supplements. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
8. Eat clean. Fair, Good, Good, Good
9. Log everything and post goal progress daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

I really need to go to bed but the women are still playing at the US Open and I have to see how it ends. Definitely need to work on my sleep goal.

dar n 08-30-2012 06:04 PM

Cassie I am hanging in I am struggling with balancing my time, my work days have turned into 10/11 hour days, I have volunteer work 3 days a week and my family and the dog still need my time and then theirs exercise:confused:. I really just need to plan better, my calories have been low because I am working through dinner and rushing to my next commitment so its usually 9ish before I am home so to late eat, but this will backfire and I will crash and eat a tub of icecream and quit again. Thanks for listening to me whine, I will get it together posting and tracking is really helping me see my traps.:)

Goals:
Walk 15k: M=3.1k,T=0, W=0, T=3.9k
Exercise 2 days: M=N, T=N, W=N, T=Y
Squats 4 days: M=Y, T=Y, W=N, T=Y
Ab work 4 days: M=Y, T=Y, W=N, T=Y
Calories less than 1400: M=1255, T=1249, W=973, T=1066
Calorie deficit of 5000 for week: M=-756, T=-683, W=-988, T=-1057
No sugar: M=N, T=Y, W=Y, T=Y

Hadena 08-30-2012 06:51 PM

Calories <1400: M=Y T=N W=N T=1396
Run 5x a week: M=N T=Y W=N T=N
Resistance bands/ strength training 5x a week:M=Y T=N W=N T=Y
9 Glasses of water/other drinks: M=? T=? W=? T=Y

This cold is really getting annoying, I can't go for a run at all and it's throwing my week off. Still, better than usual... normally I eat like a horse when I'm ill, which isn't happening this time. Maybe I'll get out tomorrow and Sunday.