Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious! >

7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious!

Community
Notices

7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
DH and I love to do this stuff too. We spent a week on Anguilla, met a local family, hung out with them and they threw us a second wedding, baked fresh pineapple cake and invited the whole town. They offerred to build us a house there.

We watched the set set and incredible moon rise (at the same time!, unearthly looking) with a Navaho man and his son in Monument Valley. We actually stood up all night talking.

We met the owner and grande dame of Antoines in NOLA and became friendly. They treat us to drinks and amazing meals when we go down there.

We got drunk with friends and "went swimming" in a public fountian in Mexico. Tequilla...

We spent a week hanging out with a British family in Spain - we just met the guy on the street, asking directions. He helped us rent a house with a courtyard and introduced us to his Catallan friends. We accidentally ended up in a strip club and the women were shocked and laughing their heads off that we were "tricked" into this. I'm not sure if the guys knew what kind of club it was...

Thanks for making me think of these fond memories. Especially considering I wrote a note to DD this morning and cried for two hours till my eyes hurt.
I think the 4 of us could do some damage in a foreign country!! There may have been some Tequila involved in our 3 a.m. golf cart races, as well! lol So much fun! My dad taught me to travel "fearlessly" and now my own kids do the same when they travel... and scare the crap out of me. It's ok when I do it, but when my kids do it, it scares me. When daughter goes to Africa, I'll be a wreck. But, I know that it is now her turn to travel fearlessly as well. (Thanks, Dad! )

I've never been to Spain... hmmmm....
Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 AM
FitDay Member

April, I was crying as I wrote my message so it touches me that it came through to you. She read the letters, left them on the floor of her computer room and made no comment.

Quinn, like your daughter, mine has trouble expressing emotions; she tends to go inward. And funny but her texts are warmer; it sounds strange to say but they often have an affectionate tone.

I have a terrible temper, a quick tongue, and sometimes very little self control (hello food issues.) But I also have fierce and deep love for my daughter and she knows this. She tells me more than I venture to say many kids tell their Moms and we spend a lot of time together. Sometimes I think maybe we are too close, talk too much. I talk too much.

Anyway, thank you for letting me share this. And for everyone else, sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
I think the 4 of us could do some damage in a foreign country!! There may have been some Tequila involved in our 3 a.m. golf cart races, as well! lol So much fun! My dad taught me to travel "fearlessly" and now my own kids do the same when they travel... and scare the crap out of me. It's ok when I do it, but when my kids do it, it scares me. When daughter goes to Africa, I'll be a wreck. But, I know that it is now her turn to travel fearlessly as well. (Thanks, Dad! )

I've never been to Spain... hmmmm....
Sounds good to me... Costa Del Sol... red wine... paella...yeah baby

I travelled fearlessly when I was young, wish I could say I encouraged DD to do the same (tho my travel was reckless, hitchhiking cross country, sleeping on beaches with one other girl in Greece; someone (Ma?) must have been watching over me.

You sound like the coolest person ever and I feel your DD is going to be AOK in her travels.

So do you (or does anyone) know a cool place to stay in Key West?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM
FitDay Member

And now for food stuff. I am trying to go low carb. Mern, Cate, I know you guys do the low carb thing so any easy recipes or suggestions would be great. I can't do milk, cream, tomatoes or sucralose. I can do some cheese, and other artificial sweeteners or stevia.

I have to admit I got sick of logging, I got sick of watching myself so I went hog wild. Bad food choices and stress landed me in this flare. The shocks are lessening but now I have painful charley horses in my calves, something I haven't had for years. So now I am logging to plan low carb meals. You play you pay as they say.

A neighbor, one of DD's friends' Dad gave us a ton of cukes and green peppers from his garden (she fed the animals and water the plants while they were on vacay.) So today I scooped out the seeds of a good sized cuke and put in tuna with sugar free mayo, onion, green pepper, curry powder and mustard.

So Quinn, for now that paella is gonna have to be grilled fish and veggies and that red wine is gonna have to be seltzer with lemon.

Last edited by canary52; 07-27-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:12 AM
FitDay Member

Aw, Hope, I'm so glad this group gives you a diversion from your stress at times. I loved reading about the lovely adventures you and DH had while traveling. As I mentioned many times before, my daughter's teenage years were just horrible and it's amazing to me how well she came through. The things you are saying to your daughter like:
--belief in her strength and ability to face down what she has to
--that she will succeed
--that you will help her in any way possible
are the things she needs to hear. That unconditional love and her knowing that you are in her corner will make all the difference in the world. I, too, have a quick temper and a sharp tongue, but despite that, even as a teenager, my daughter knew I had unconditional love for her, even though I would not accept her behavior.

Tell me some kinds of foods you enjoy--like one pot meals, certain veggies or meats, etc. and I'll see what I can come up with that's low carb.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:19 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, thank you so much. I know DD is a good kid and I hope to see her make positive choices. She has come so far in the past year.

I like: one pot dishes, yes. I eat a lot of fish and chicken, occasional beef. I like most veggies except celery and I will eat that cooked. Love tomatoes but I'm allergic to them and I've been eating them and breaking out in terrible facial rashes. Like I said, some cheese, no milk or cream or yogurt (unless it's sheep or goat) or sour cream. My tummy does not like sucralose so I use stevia and Sweet and Low. Chocolate is bringing on terrible hot flashes so no more of that for a while. I am sweating so much my family is actually getting alarmed. Oh no Mom might drown....
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

Hope, I'll see what low carb recipes I can find in my files to suggest to you from the criteria you gave me. Meantime, did you catch any of the recipes I put in Cassie's thread in the Food Talk Forum? The recipes I submitted in there would be low carb:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...sed-foods.html

Do you want me to post the recipes here? Or should we start a low carb recipe thread in the Food Talk forum to keep them together so that others can add their recipes, too?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 AM
FitDay Member

Hope, what about eggs, mayo (I don't use it anymore, but have some recipes that do), or ranch dressing, which is a really good substitute for mayo in some dishes?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:59 AM
FitDay Member

eggs yes, mayo yes, ranch no. i get terrific sf mayo online -Dukes, you can get it down south in stores.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
Hope, I'll see what low carb recipes I can find in my files to suggest to you from the criteria you gave me. Meantime, did you catch any of the recipes I put in Cassie's thread in the Food Talk Forum? The recipes I submitted in there would be low carb:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...sed-foods.html

Do you want me to post the recipes here? Or should we start a low carb recipe thread in the Food Talk forum to keep them together so that others can add their recipes, too?
Thanks for sending Casise's thread. Maybe a low carb recipe thread would be good. I don't want to put you to too much trouble tho. I can share some recipes: I have a couple of low carb cookbooks and some ideas. Your chicken in the crockpot sounded good. I have a crockpot I have yet to use. (!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.