Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious! >

7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious!

Community
Notices

7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:57 AM
FitDay Member

Goals? Oh My....

Health / Fitness Goals...
1. 100 oz water daily M: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes, Th: Yes,
2. 5 different fruits/veggies daily M: Yes (like 7-8), T: Yes, W: Yes, Th: Yes,
3. Exercise at least 30 minutes every day this week M: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes, Th: Yes (in the evening even!)
4. Walk on lunch M,T,Th & F (appt on W) M: Yes, T: Yes, W: N/A, Th: Yes,
5. Weigh and post daily M: 232.8lbs, T: 232.0lbs, W: 231.0lbs, Th: 230.6lbs, F: 231.0lbs,

Life Goals...
1. Do work paperwork every day M: Yes, T: Yes, W: No, Th: Yes (caught up Wed's too),
2. 20 day review & dr appt for son Weds W: Yes
3. Find something positive each day (been focusing on some negative stuff so stealing this goal) M: My hubby rode the bike to come see me on my lunch break and I still got to walk 1-1/2 miles. We are in such an awesome place with each other right now. , T: Got in another night time workout. Doesn't seem to be holding me back anymore, W: How much better can it get than I LOST 100 POUNDS!!, Th: Was tired in the morning so I went back to bed when hubby went to work but still worked out in the evening ... side by side as hubby walked his treadmill time.

I have finally figured out that is okay for me to spend a half hour or so on myself to do a workout in the evening when I am too tired to do it in the morning. That is a big break through for me. I have a very hard time taking time away from my family to do something for myself. I have figured out that I can workout in our bedroom while hubby is watching tv on the bed that way I am still available for conversation as if I was laying there on my butt looking at the internet LOL!

Quinn ... You know better than to ever throw in that towel. You can do it. I have seen it before. .. Your daughter's scholarship is awesome! You have to be such proud parents right now!

Cassie ... Nail polish on 2 week old carpet? I think I would have done worse than Fro-Yo over that one!

Hope ... Gentle hugs for you girl. I really hope that something eases that discomfort for you. It sounds just so miserable.

Cate & Nichaleh ... We all have days where we eat what we shouldn't. The key is to get back on track as soon as possible. I'm up a smidge this morning from seasoned potato wedges on my salad last night with mozzarella cheese and the angus beef (cooked with peppers & onions) that is shredded for in cheesesteaks. But hey...I didn't eat the cheesesteaks on rolls or tortillas like the rest of the family did so it's a win for me!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Hope, I'm so sorry to read that your fibro has flared up so severely again. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain you are in. Huge, but gentle hug to ya!

Nichaleh, I get that way, too, when I just don't want to talk about my bad day. But I'm glad you did so that I can congratulate you on the CONTROLLED CHEAT when you felt yourself go into binge mode. You are so wise to not let yourself go hungry--that often sends me into cheat or even binge mode. Oh, I do hope your low carb pasta tastes good. Mine tastes just like regular pasta. It's the only kind I buy now and serve it to family, guests, take to picnics or church functions where we share food and no one can tell it's low carb. I totally gave up rice and potatoes, so I'm thrilled to be able to eat pasta. Cauliflower makes a great substitute for me for mashed potatoes. I cook it until very soft, drain well (reserving some juice in case needed to thin) put it in the food processor and add salt substitute, pepper, cheese, dehydrated onion or onion powder or chives to taste. If too thin I add more cheese; if too thick I thin it with some cooking water. I also make the same dish with cooked broccoli or a combo of broccoli and cauliflower. Cauliflower can also be grated to rice size pieces and used as rice in many dishes.

Cate so sorry you are missing your yogurt. Here in the USA we have a product by a large supermarket chain (Kroger) and they put out a three net carb "dairy blend" called CarbMasters that tastes exactly like yogurt. It's the only kind I can eat. Sometimes when I'm really craving milk badly I allow myself just 1/4 cup. Would you be able to allow yourself a small portion of the yogurt and berries at a time? Or how about this idea: since the berries are low carb, have a nice serving of berries TOPPED with a small serving of your yogurt?

Quinn, I'm rooting for you on getting back totally on track foodwise. I know it's not easy. Kudos on the additional scholarship!

Cassie, I'm glad you had such a nice Thursday compared with your nightmare of a Wednesday! Aw, that's great that hubby is due home today! Your reports this week contain way more blue than red. Kudos on that!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 AM
FitDay Member

April and Judi, I saw your posts but I gotta go for now. Will be back to catch up later.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
That's my very favorite kind of trip! Husband and I do things like that all the time... When we get to a location, we check with locals that we can trust and get out of the "touristy" places. In Mexico, we would venture a little too far, but that's a whole 'nuther story! lol By making friends with the resort owners, etc., they would take us to local hang-outs that were so incredibly fun. I am still in contact with many of them by email, etc. We did things like have drunken golf cart races at 3 a.m. and help baby sea turtles get to the ocean at sunrise. They just don't show you that kind of stuff in brochures! lol
DH and I love to do this stuff too. We spent a week on Anguilla, met a local family, hung out with them and they threw us a second wedding, baked fresh pineapple cake and invited the whole town. They offerred to build us a house there.

We watched the set set and incredible moon rise (at the same time!, unearthly looking) with a Navaho man and his son in Monument Valley. We actually stood up all night talking.

We met the owner and grande dame of Antoines in NOLA and became friendly. They treat us to drinks and amazing meals when we go down there.

We got drunk with friends and "went swimming" in a public fountian in Mexico. Tequilla...

We spent a week hanging out with a British family in Spain - we just met the guy on the street, asking directions. He helped us rent a house with a courtyard and introduced us to his Catallan friends. We accidentally ended up in a strip club and the women were shocked and laughing their heads off that we were "tricked" into this. I'm not sure if the guys knew what kind of club it was...

Thanks for making me think of these fond memories. Especially considering I wrote a note to DD this morning and cried for two hours till my eyes hurt.

Last edited by canary52; 07-27-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by catebert
Hope, I'm so sorry to hear that you are still suffering. I get those electric shocks too only I did not know that they are fibro related. When I get them it's usually in the neck and lower back, but at the same time, like two points of a taser (at least I imagine that's what a taser feels like, LOL). Luckily have not had them for a couple of months now... feel better soon!
I am glad you haven't had them for a while and hope they go away forever. Mine are fibro related; sounds like yours could be. I hope you are well, Cate. I'm trying to go low carb too. It helps, doesn't it?

Last edited by canary52; 07-27-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Nichaleh, I just want to say that I am thinking about you. I know it is so hard when we get out of control with food. But every day is a new chance so don't give up.

And for all those, Mern, April and everyone who sends support I want to thank you because it does help me.

So Nichaleh you will see that this is a very caring community here. You are not alone.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

Hope ... These notes that you are writing to / about your DD.... are they for her or do you keep them and it is just therapeutic to write it down?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Hope ... These notes that you are writing to / about your DD.... are they for her or do you keep them and it is just therapeutic to write it down?
April, I have written notebooks full of her, volumes in fact. But the notes I wrote this morning were for her. They weren't the kind of notes I envisioned writing but then I am learning that you have to take life on its own terms, not on how you want it to be. The therapist she went to (who says she feels DD will be OK, that she seems to have a solid foundation and core) suggested I write to her. I have tried this before with not great results but I just felt I had to do it. DD says she can't stand to see me cry and especially if she feels like she's the one who "caused" it so the notes felt like a way to let her know things without tears or arguments.

Thanks for asking. This was a very sensitive question, shows that with all the things you face, you care and pay close attention to others. I want to thank you for that.

I have been fearful and angry, not the things I want to send my girl off to school with. I want to be there for her; sometimes I just don't know how and this makes me overreact to stupid stuff like chores not done or rude remarks. I feel like I have failed as a mother. I wrote one note to say that I am worried for her and giving her the therapist's number yet again and another (that she hasn't read yet) to say that I do believe in her. That I wish I could slay all her dragons but I believe in her strength and ability to face down what she has to and to succeed and that I will help her in any way possible. I don't know what else to do.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
April, I have written notebooks full of her, volumes in fact. But the notes I wrote this morning were for her. They weren't the kind of notes I envisioned writing but then I am learning that you have to take life on its own terms, not on how you want it to be. The therapist she went to (who says she feels DD will be OK, that she seems to have a solid foundation and core) suggested I write to her. I have tried this before with not great results but I just felt I had to do it. DD says she can't stand to see me cry and especially if she feels like she's the one who "caused" it so the notes felt like a way to let her know things without tears or arguments.

Thanks for asking. This was a very sensitive question, shows that with all the things you face, you care and pay close attention to others. I want to thank you for that.

I have been fearful and angry, not the things I want to send my girl off to school with. I want to be there for her; sometimes I just don't know how and this makes me overreact to stupid stuff like chores not done or rude remarks. I feel like I have failed as a mother. I wrote one note to say that I am worried for her and giving her the therapist's number yet again and another (that she hasn't read yet) to say that I do believe in her. That I wish I could slay all her dragons but I believe in her strength and ability to face down what she has to and to succeed and that I will help her in any way possible. I don't know what else to do.
Hope... I am so glad to hear that her therapist thinks that in the full scheme of things she will turn out okay. Your post almost brought me to tears (at work!) I think that since she doesn't like to see you cry and knowing myself, I can't discuss anything with feelings without shedding tears, that writing these notes is a very good thing. It gives her a chance to read them through on her own terms. She can keep them. Read them again. She can't think that you said something that you didn't. It also gives you the time and ability to think about what you are writing and word it the way you really mean it instead of having words pop out of your mouth that you instantly wish you could take back.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 AM
FitDay Member

April and Hope,

I just wanted to tell you both how much your exchange touched my heart. What incredible, insightful, caring moms you both are! I sure wish I had had a mom like you! One day, I know that your kids will look back and know how just how very much you loved and supported them unconditionally. Until kids reach their late 20's, it seems as though they just have a hard time letting their parents know how much they truly need and love them. My own kids are no exception. My son, now 28, is just starting to tell us openly how much we mean to him which, although I guess I knew, I never thought I'd ever hear from him. (He was pretty rebellious as a teenager.) My daughter is very analytical and scientific, as all of the engineers in my family tend to be, and has a hard time openly expressing emotion. With both of them, texting and email have been a godsend. Some of our biggest fights (and heart-felt moments) have been handled this way. My daughter will text me things that she would NEVER have the courage to tell me face to face, good and bad. As much as I hate, hate, hate how much kids text, I'm really thankful to have had this tool to parent with.

Your kids are so incredibly lucky to have you both. Parenting is the hardest job in the world... they will all see for themselves when their own children are born.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.