Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 day motivational thread (new year, new week, new you!) >

7 day motivational thread (new year, new week, new you!)

Community
Notices

7 day motivational thread (new year, new week, new you!)

Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ToriD1012
And it still didn't ruin my good mood
Awesome!! So glad you enjoyed your New Years; take time to enjoy the ride with CuterNicer! Sounds like you are due for some good things to happen in 2012
Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Hi everyone!!!

Man, I feel like I've been gone forever. I think it's been at least a month. And it was a CRAZY month. In good ways and bad ways. I have missed everyone here mightily, as I was really pushed to the limit in personal and job stratospheres and I really could have used the support. But at the end of the day, I had to stop checking in just to get daily stuff done. But I am SO HAPPY to see everyone here and I am looking forward to just wiping the terrible December out of my mind and looking forward to the New Year. I am just giving huge BIG HUGS to everyone!!!!!!

My crazy December, in a nutshell:

There was a huge repeat of an experiment run at the very last minute all throughout December. BF's auto shop also unexpectedly closed (not quite out of the blue, but faster than expected) at the end of the month, and he's completely unsure about whether or not he has a job at the parent company's Tire shop across the street. He finds out today. My toes are crossed for him, since my fingers are typing!! This is the biggest piece of stress for us right now, since we're really stretched thin financially from my work expenses (conferences and job hunting) and having him lose his job would be a big blow. ALSO to add to the financial fun, he's got a blown/leaky brake line in his car and so we're down to MY car, which is also not 100% functional right now. We don't know when we'll be able to get that brake line repaired, but he can't drive it, and we need to figure out when we'll be able to afford the tow and repairs. We've done one car before and we'll do it again, but it completely stinks.

I've also been on the job market and hunting as though I needed to bring home the bacon -- because I do! I'm still working through this summer, but I need a job after that. I have had one good prospect come up - I'm interviewing at Smith College up in MA this coming January 19th for a postdoctoral fellowship position. I'm really pumped about this job - it's not permanent (2 years) but everything else about the position screams that it's for me, and I want to do my very very very very best on the interview. I'm nervous but also excited. Having the knowledge of security after this June would be really great for us (though the moving expenses...uuuuugh).

I also came down with a terrible bug over Christmas break (Merry Christmas to me?) with fever, chills, headache, sinus pressure, and a cough of DEATH that I'm just now getting over. All of my preparations for this Spring semester are a couple of weeks behind; I'm teaching a Masters' class on Thursday evenings and don't even have my first lecture ready -- and it starts THIS Thursday! I'm not 100% healthy but I'm good enough to come into work. I've still got the COUGH OF DEATH and a lot of phlegm etc. (sorry, TMI!) but at least the feverish symptoms and the complete lack of energy that I had for over a week from the bug are gone. It feels good to be human again.

Also, just to add to my overall stress, Delta had LOST one of our bags coming back from the Holidays - the bag that JUST SO HAPPENED to have all of our Christmas presents in it, including some quite expensive jewelry my parents splurged on for me, as well as two $150 blazers that they bought me expressly for job interviews (all of my old work/interview clothes are way too big). They found it (intact, thank goodness, and I don't notice anything missing), but it took three days for them to finally get it for us (it got lost in Atlanta) and let me tell you, that was three days of faaaaar too much worrying.

As for my fitness - I'm back up to 163.2 as of this morning. That's actually not bad, considering I haven't logged and tracked my food for nearly an entire month - a 3.5 lb. gain is better than what I was expecting!!!! I can get it off again. My goals for this week are a little muted because I'm still getting over my bug, but that's no excuse not to make them reasonable and fair -- and something I need to strive for! Giving myself slack is one thing; giving myself excuses is another.

Also, my New year's Resolution this year is simple and profound for me: Stop caring so much what other people think. I need to do what is right for ME and MY loved ones. Too often I justify myself to others, and too often I put too much stock in everyone's advice but my own. I am a reasonable, capable adult and it's time I trust myself to act like one.

Weekly Goals

1) Log calories every day. Everything.
2) Try to keep calorie average for the week between 1200 and 1500 (giving myself a little more wiggle room than usual here, because my illness is making my appetite unpredictable. Some days I'm ravenous, other days I only eat one meal.)
3) Keep track of daily expenditures
4) In bed by 11:30 every night, no excuses
5) Keep positive and level-headed for BF
6) 80 oz. or more of water daily
7) Weigh in daily; report here.
8) Name something wonderful that happens every day.

Not doing any exercise or protein goals this week since I don't know how I'll be feeling. Ideally, I'd love to start up my Zumba again, even if it's the short 20-Minute Express DVD once or twice this week. I just want to start thinking about my body again. Being here will help too

Also, to all the new people: HI AND WELCOME!!! I'm Terri, and I talk a LOT (see above ). I've got my Ph.D. in Neuroscience and work in a lab, so sometimes I talk about weird stuff related to that job, but otherwise I'm just a 28-year-old trying to figure it out This thread is amazing and has truly changed my life, and I hope you find it as great as I do!

Happy New Year, everyone!!

~Terri

Last edited by taubele; 01-02-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default Greetings

Hello to all.

I logged in all intake and activity yesterday. I burned 2648 in calories, and I consumed 1452 in calories. I need to get more water in.

I'm trying to stay below 1500 calories a day. That too low?

Have been on break since friday before xmas. Back to work tomorrow. I had lost about 8 over the summer, but have put that back on. I was eating from stress. My dad passed away in Oct. So still dealing with that. Wasn't focused on what was going in my mouth when it came to food.

So I'm working to loose it.

Lisa
Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Default Happy New Year!

Guess who went to the office for the first time in 2012 and has no Internet... Once again. Me!

I was going to post my numbers but it's a PITA to do it from my phone.

I hopped on the scale this morning and it's down, for once. I was up all night peeing out the gallon of water that I drank. So I'm sure I lost a little water weight. If the loss sticks for the week I'll be happy.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lucylis

I logged in all intake and activity yesterday. I burned 2648 in calories, and I consumed 1452 in calories. I need to get more water in.

Including sleep?

Everyone's calorie requirements are different. I would recommend that you consult your physician, multiple websites dedicated to calculating calorie requirements, and your own personal history. Going too low calorically can result in your body storing fat, lower levels of cognition, and negative changes in personality.

Weird part of this whole lifestyle- You have to eat to lose.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I was up all night peeing out the gallon of water that I drank.
Happens every time I hit my 3L- I like to joke that I walk more going to the bathroom than I do on my jogs!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

Monday Morning Check In
Goals:

1. Eat Clean: No
2. 3 L: 2.5
3. Take Vitamin: Yes
4. Move: Yes

Have a running date today! So excited! Supposedly it's only gonna be an easy 20min run, but I do get so bored with those. :/ So maybe I'll spice it up

PPD is supposed to be here FRIDAY! Ohsweetbabyjesus I'm nervous! They're driving 8 hours round trip to spend two days with me... so that's a good sign, right?!

Official Intro for all the new peeps:

Hello! I am a Psychology undergrad who is heavily involved in my greek life, volunteer work, and training. My most recent fitness goals are to finish a 10K by April and a half-marathon by December, as well as to increase my legpress max to >350lbs!
Also, I'm hella chatty, so watch out!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lucylis
Hello to all.

Have been on break since friday before xmas. Back to work tomorrow. I had lost about 8 over the summer, but have put that back on. I was eating from stress. My dad passed away in Oct. So still dealing with that. Wasn't focused on what was going in my mouth when it came to food.

So I'm working to loose it.

Lisa
Hi Lisa I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. You're going through a lot emotionally. I believe it's very difficult to eat healthy during stressful times.

As far as amount of calories ~ a general rule of thumb is that 1200 Kcaloric intake is minimum recommendation. I'm no authority though.

Hi Terri -- I'm a new one around here, trying to get settled into routine with nutrition & exercise. You sound like a wonderful person to get to know.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Heath and Fitness:
1. Lose 5 pounds (starting wt. 188.4)
2. Gallon of water per day yes
3. 4000 Calorie deficit -1375
3. 4 servings of fruits/veggies per day yes
5. 2 servings of bread for the week 1
6. Workout 3 times day off
7. Walk 10 miles (who's coming to New Orleans to do the 1/2 marathon with me?) 0
8. Daily:
a.Fish oil yes
b.Vitamin yes
c.Glucosamine yes
d.Floss yes
e.Fluoride rinse yes

Other Goals:
9. Write 2 policies
10. Push next person to post goals
11. Clean garage yes
12. Finish pressure washing driveway and sidewalk yes
13. Two random acts of kindness yes

mh, I'll try to get that for you later today.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Good morning all!

Welcome to all the new girls.
Intro: My name is Pam, I am a research plant biologist with the Forest Service, specializing in air pollution effects of native (mostly) plants and lichens. I live in Southern California (the air pollution capital) and have a 2nd home in the eastern Sierras about 5 hours north. As my siggy says, I lost weight 2 years ago and have found that the key to maintaining it is sticking around with all my cyber pals. I am a fitness fatatic. Been running for years and recently took up CrossFit - a combo of intense workouts and power lifting. I have 1 DH (BTW (by the way) Tori, in my case the D usually stands for "dear" but occassionally it stands for "damned" ), no kids and 2 cats.

Dr Terri, so nice to see you back. Keep you eyes on the prize, girl, and all the rest will work itself out - I promise. I think that will be the case with your SO too. Losing a menial job cooking was the turning point that got me into college... and the rest is history. So sorry to see that you were sick over the holidays. That happened to me almost every holiday while I was in school - it was my body's way of saying "ENOUGH". I hope you shed the cough of death soon, and can get your lesson plans done for your master's class. What is the topic?

Oh MH, have fun with the PPD (I hadn't figured out that abbv - thanks for filling me in) and good work on the runs.

Mike, what's up with you and computers???

CJ, Quinn, et al, I know everyone is going to kill their goals this week. Somthing about a fresh new year.

I am happy to report that my weight is right where is was at the beginning of the holiday festivities. I was a little concerned about stepping on the scale this morning, but whoo hooo - good for me!

1. 2 pieces of fruit a day S=N(1)
2. 1 liter of just plain water
S=Y
3. No white food S=N (baked potato)
4. 1 tempo run and 1 long run
5. Measure blood pressure daily (it was waaaay high this afternoon)
S=Y
6. Carbs less than 40%
S=Y
7. Total calories less than 1600
S=N (last of the holiday splurge)
I looks like I made half of my goals yesterday. Today will be pretty easy because of the long drive back to SoCal. I don't usually eat much, but tend to drink a lot of H2O while I drive. Then back to the office grind tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.