Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 day motivational thread (new year, new week, new you!) >

7 day motivational thread (new year, new week, new you!)

Community
Notices

7 day motivational thread (new year, new week, new you!)

Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 AM
FitDay Member

And a deep breath in and exhale, this morning (after dropping kiddos off at school), I've had a little time to catch up on the thread and even have some time to respond.

fit4luv: Your peekaboo mouse cracked me up this morning. Vcute!

Joanna: I'm giving you the SSD Award, (super sucky day). Lately whenever I get slapped with stress I take a "Yoga Moment", deep calming breath, eyes closed, palms together etc. I imagine you must have done that all stinking day, you poor thing. Well at least the next day has to seem better no matter what. In college I drove a car that was so bad the local tow truck driver thought we were dating. Nice eh?

ToriD: Throw things for stress eh? Haha, maybe you should get some javelins? So instead of throwing salesmen you can spear them instead. A good bit of sport that... I bet they run and beg for mercy.

mhibidon: Trust me on this one, if you feel a workout coming on just go with it, doesn't pay to ignore the feeling even if you've already done the deed for the day. On how to get rid of back pain, I'm a total believer in stretching, every couple of hours until you feel better, also a deep tissue/hot stone massage is well worth the price.

Deana: Welcome aboard, sorry to hear that your life has been such a whirlwind lately, a big hug to you, my condolences on your MIL and prayers for your mom. I have a friend that get terrible migraines, after years and years of playing "pain med" roulette she's discovered that benadryl every 4 hours works after about a day. She's never tested positive for any allergies, but the allergy tests are for a finite number of allergens, so she figures she's reacting to something there is no test for. Weird uh? I'm glad you're feeling better.

Mern I'm glad to hear you're feeling better too, and I totally agree that movement is good medicine for an achy body or body part. I actually get pain from not working out. Move it or lose it, eh? Maybe live-in GD should take to calling in to work before you leave? With gas at $3+ gallon it might save you a fortune.

Mike: You leave Terri alone about dolling up, she's been sick. Let her get past the coughing and then you can pick on her all you want. I probably did hear you screaming, but I just thought it was my kids fighting with each other and put them in time out. Geez, you're going to have DSS riding me britches. Now pull up your panties and get walking, cold weather burns more calories than warm so stop making excuses, oh wait would those be your own words biting you on the ass?

Terri: I'm glad to hear that you enjoy teaching, I can't tell you how many classes that I've taken with people that resented the teaching requirement. I went to UofM and all of the PhD scholars are required to teach at least one class/year. I'm like you too when it comes to a snappy comeback, an extra 20 minutes would be great. I've often felt that it wasn't a lack of humor on my part, but that other people are sometimes so rude that I was silent from the shock of it. Although I will say that there are people who know this about me and take advantage. On your hunger roller coaster, I have no advice, this is my whole life, sick or otherwise. I have my fingers crossed for BF and his job prospects. The whole time DH and I have been married, he was unemployed for exactly one week, but it was insanely stressful to say the least.

Darn: Get on those veggies lady! Thanks for sharing your menu for a "raw" day. I've never intentionally done that before, but it gave me ideas for how it might work. Right now I'm all about warm food, it's freezing here, but once it warms up a bit I might give it a try. I sometimes go gluten free for a week at a time, and I could potentially couple it with some "raw veggie" days. And yes my day got better once the kids went to school, how could it not? I'm cracking up over your description that your house looks like nobody cleaned it "yesterday", because mine looks like nobody cleaned it in 2011. I've got lots of steak, come on over, but we'll have to cook it (just a little) okay?

Lizzie: The 365 Kisses was a terribly romantic gift, wow what a sweetie. You must have a lot more willpower than I do, because I could just see me getting in the mood for a lot more than one kiss and having a binge (chocolate or otherwise LOL). You'd best stay away from trashy novels and chic flicks. Very funny pic of the dino dancing. You didn't happen to come across any images of Jabba the Hut did you? 'Cause that's who I looked like at the gym last night. You've heard of "Jabba the Hut", well I'm "Mamma da But" these days. Ugh, when I did obliques, my knee caps were a long way from my elbows, that's for sure. Before Christmas they touched just fine.

Quin: How can you say we're dysfunctional? Okay we are a bit of an odd collection but honestly as a family we're waaaayy more functional than most. Right Cassie? That was a lovely welcome to Deana BTW. Mike might be giving you a hard time about ignoring us, but I completely get it. As much as I need this forum, there are others that need me more.

Well kids I have some potentially great news to report! A friend of mine and I have been walking together during swim practice, sort of like workout buddies. Informal but it works. Anyway she told me about a week ago that she want's to lose 25 lbs by the end of March so we've both committed to that. She's going on a trip and has to wear a bathing suit. Anyway last night she tells me that she has aspirations of one day doing a triathalon? Whoa ho hooo, who knew? To date that's not been a goal of mine, but it's not out of the question, I would certainly welcome the training aspect of it, and I'm game to walk/run a shorter race for certain. Finding a serious workout partner is really hard for a woman my age and fitness level. I have a couple of friends that workout, but so far none of them are at a similar level of fitness to me, they are either way out of shape and want to take line dancing together once/week, or they run marathons. I'm somewhere in the middle, serious and in-shape, but not elite athlete in-shape. I'm totally pumped about this development, I've wanted a workout partner for years now. She and I have a ton in common and manage to fill the walking time with a ton of great conversation, so it's both physical and emotional support - all good. Another friend of mine also approached me last night about coming with her to the gym, she pretty out of shape, but she's got a lot of dedication, so maybe that will pan out too.

Time to get going, rabbit cage building awaits.

Last edited by almeeker; 01-05-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Deana: Welcome to the group! It certainly sounds like you have had a heck of a year with the illnesses and moving. We're definitely a supportive group here both for weight loss and life in general, so we're glad to have you! You'll lose those 20 lbs. before you know it! My condolences on the loss of your MIL, and I'm hoping that your mother's illness gets better soon!

Mike: UGH that internet! I'm so sorry the fix didn't work for it. I'd want to rip the cables right out of the wall, that's so frustrating, especially when you MUST have the net to do your work properly. I thought I heard some screaming on the wind... Great job on getting the policies done anyway AND most of your goals look great! Now get walkin'!!!

My goal to get all dolled up is missing this week as I am sick, and not going to put makeup on when I'm just going to rub it all off with tissues from wiping my nose and coughing I will put it back where it belongs next week! I am, however, trying to dress nicely this week. I need to buy more work clothes...

Mern: I got home late, so no workout for me, and have late plans tonight (Teaching + probably meeting a friend of BF's and his family for dinner) so I won't work out tonight, either! Friday it is! Haha, I like your saying - don't count the chickens before they're hatched, but don't discount them either. Hopefully we'll get beyond the "I'll call you back" phase today, because it's getting pretty annoying for him to hear that every day. Feels like they're dragging their feet.

Darlene: Never tried a raw foods diet but your description of your meals sounds pretty delicious! I wish I could get more raw fruits and veggies in the house - my food choices are usually tempered by what I know BF will eat, with a few small purchases for myself to snack on. And hey - you can have a steak, come on over, I've got the grill on!!

Cassie and Quinn: Man, you guys talking about college expenses makes me feel really lucky that I was able to get a full ride to school when I did - I think I got a lot of fortuitious circumstances, but I have a very clear memory of when the letter came that cemented the deal, my mother ran to the record player (they love vinyl, my parents!) and put on "Everything's Coming Up Roses" and danced around the house ecstatically. I thought she was being dramatic at the time, but after hearing about your mounds of paperwork I bet it was real relief!!! I didn't come from a very financially stable family.

Lizzie: It is hard to see BF trying to keep his head up every day Right now we're just frustrated because it seems to keep being "Call back tomorrow, call back tomorrow" they act like they want him but it's going so slowly. BF thinks it's just the headaches of dealing with corporate - we'll see. Sorry about your rough day. I've only just cut my teeth on managing people and haven't really had to do many appraisals - I can't imagine how frustrating that is!

mh: Boo about your back! I'd be doing what you're doing, heat and stretching it out. Maybe just try some light walking?

Joanna: Holy crap!! That's such a stressful story. I think it goes to show you, though, about people in general. Individual people can be kind of dicks, but I truly believe people as a whole are good people. You had kindly people at the hotel and at the Starbucks and the other auto store helping you out. And hey, you did it, you survived! I'm glad everything worked out OK and you got home in one piece. You did an awesome job even staying NEAR 1400 cals when there was a Starbucks right there for hours on end, great willpower!!

Amy: Man, you are killing it on the exercise! I'm going to try and take more after you and JUST DO IT. I have been full of excuses lately.

Main80: Good to see you!!! Happy New Year!

Wednesday Report Card

1) Log calories every day. Everything. M: Yes, even the handful of M&Ms I had for dessert T: yes, though I had to guesstimate a couple of things W: yes
2) Try to keep calorie average for the week between 1200 and 1500 (giving myself a little more wiggle room than usual here, because my illness is making my appetite unpredictable. Some days I'm ravenous, other days I only eat one meal.) M: 1,116. Was not a hungry day. T: 1,507 - I hate this appetite up-and-down thing I've got going. W: 1,316 (Week Average: 1,313)
3) Keep track of daily expenditures M: no, but I will go backlog it right now! T: yes W: yes
4) In bed by 11:30 every night, no excuses M: No T: Hell no. W: Nope
5) Keep positive and level-headed for BF M: yes T: yes W: yes
6) 80 oz. or more of water daily M: No (64) T: I think so W: no
7) Weigh in daily; report here. M: 163.2 T: 161.6 W: 162.1
8) Name something wonderful that happens every day. M: I had a moment of panic when I thought I lost the instructor's materials for the class I'm teaching. But then I found them, and that was wonderful! T: BF's job prospects looking better. W: Caught up with an old friend

Didn't weigh in this morning (Thursday) -- I'm teaching my first class today and am a little nervous, so BF surprised me with breakfast in bed (one of my high-fiber cereals with some berries in it!) and was very sweet, wishing me good luck. So I didn't get to weigh before I ate, but it's totally worth it

I think the class will go OK. I am still having some technological issues, but I found out that they're on the end of the Registrar and there's nothing I can do but wait. They haven't yet entered me as the instructor of record, so I don't have my roster or access to grade software. But that's ok. I am just going to pass around a sheet tonight and have everyone write their names and ID numbers and contact info so I can have it until they decide to get their butts in gear. I also met a VERY patient woman yesterday who went over the classroom technology with me, like how to access their powerpoint software etc. The classrooms are crazy and almost completely automated now, I feel scared that I'm going to push a button and summon a robot or something!

Going to need some willpower today with food - getting taken out to lunch by labmates, AND we're going out to dinner tonight (potentially-maybe) with a friend of BF's who is swinging through town on his way to GA. Two meals out! Yikes. I think I know what to get for lunch but I don't know yet where we're going for dinner, so I may have to make the decision on the fly.

Got to bed at midnight last night. Better than 1:00am, but not where I want to be yet. I'm hoping that after teaching today I'll be tired from my nervous energy being expended. It's amazing how we let the little things slip and it just dominoes out...

Happy Thursday everyone!

~Terri
Old 01-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
Terri: I'm glad to hear that you enjoy teaching, I can't tell you how many classes that I've taken with people that resented the teaching requirement. I went to UofM and all of the PhD scholars are required to teach at least one class/year. I'm like you too when it comes to a snappy comeback, an extra 20 minutes would be great. I've often felt that it wasn't a lack of humor on my part, but that other people are sometimes so rude that I was silent from the shock of it. Although I will say that there are people who know this about me and take advantage. On your hunger roller coaster, I have no advice, this is my whole life, sick or otherwise. I have my fingers crossed for BF and his job prospects. The whole time DH and I have been married, he was unemployed for exactly one week, but it was insanely stressful to say the least.

Well kids I have some potentially great news to report! A friend of mine and I have been walking together during swim practice, sort of like workout buddies. Informal but it works. Anyway she told me about a week ago that she want's to lose 25 lbs by the end of March so we've both committed to that. She's going on a trip and has to wear a bathing suit. Anyway last night she tells me that she has aspirations of one day doing a triathalon? Whoa ho hooo, who knew? To date that's not been a goal of mine, but it's not out of the question, I would certainly welcome the training aspect of it, and I'm game to walk/run a shorter race for certain. Finding a serious workout partner is really hard for a woman my age and fitness level. I have a couple of friends that workout, but so far none of them are at a similar level of fitness to me, they are either way out of shape and want to take line dancing together once/week, or they run marathons. I'm somewhere in the middle, serious and in-shape, but not elite athlete in-shape. I'm totally pumped about this development, I've wanted a workout partner for years now. She and I have a ton in common and manage to fill the walking time with a ton of great conversation, so it's both physical and emotional support - all good. Another friend of mine also approached me last night about coming with her to the gym, she pretty out of shape, but she's got a lot of dedication, so maybe that will pan out too.

Time to get going, rabbit cage building awaits.
There's a strong line of teaching in my family, maybe it's in the genes Funnily enough though, my uncle hates it, my aunt loves it, and my other uncle sort of tolerates it. So maybe it's a crapshoot! I've enjoyed all of the teaching I've done so far, but I know my experience isn't complete because I've yet to design a class from the ground up before. That's one of the reasons I'm excited about the opportunity in MA for the Teaching Postdoc - I can have that opportunity while still being sort of cushioned from the full blow of academia as a professor.

Great news about your potential workout buddy, that's awesome! Sometimes I wish I had a friend closer to do it with, I've been on my own since the start. BF encourages but doesn't join in. I've got a friend in MA who is becoming a beachbody coach, but whenever I talk with her she tries to get me to buy Shakeology Maybe she's not such a good friend... I've got nothing against Beachbody persay, but I don't like the commercial/sales aspect of it.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

Ugh! I'm here. After losing half of what I was up last week I got my every three week visit from my wonderful Auntie F! So I have no idea what I weigh right now. It's been as high as 278 one morning this week but I am so not recording that crap! I hate how tired I get during TOTM (time of the month) too. Yesterday I didn't exercise when I should have. So this morning I did. And of course, once I got going, it was so worth it and felt so good. I even convinced myself that I wanted to start jumping rope to get some more cardio going. I only lasted 5 minutes but outside at 5:30AM at about 30*F it wasn't very wise to stay out much longer anyway in shorts and t-shirt

Since I have been so off, I didn't make goals this week other than to get back to eating like I should and exercise before work tomorrow again. Hubby's off work this weekend so I won't get my exercise in when he goes to work like I do on his work weekends. Oh and if you ever see me refer to him as DH it is probably more like D**khead, not dear husband. LOL

I read the whole thread. Took me two days at work to get through it but I couldn't post until I read it all. I hope that my out of date comments don't confuse anyone.

Mern ... You are down 30# for 2011! That is awesome!!! I lol'd about your dish drainer. I have a son that puts mine away every day after school. Maybe you could assign that job to the live-in GD. Glad to hear your back feels better. Keeping moving usually works for me too.

Mike ... You are definitely just one of the girls here. It really wouldn't be the same if you were to leave us....I have found out that I can drink a gallon of water in the day and still not have to get up at night to pee any more than I usually would which is about 1-2 times per week....Good for you on your acts of kindness! And 2 policies written despite all your internet problems. What about a wireless plan with a mobile phone company?

Mom8TN ... Welcome to the site! Come back and participate! You will get a lot more out of this if you are active.

Tori ... I am so happy that you have such a great NYEve! Especially after how down you were feeling last week. So sweet that he is discussing 'when' you will kiss, not 'if'. Too bad about the pee-pee shoes! Congrats on being down 4 more lbs!!! Woohoo!!!

Darlene ... Good for you for driving around your son's drunk friends. I bet they were a hoot! I have heard that because of my mother & her ex-husband being bad alcoholics that I have little tolerance for drunk people. So I tend to avoid drinking situations and have never had more than a buzz about twice in my life. It just isn't for me. I am sure I could make do to prevent my sons from being out on the town though. I actually hope that they take after me and their dad and just don't drink to start with.

Joanna ... I am a person who needs a routine too. ... Wow what a day you had trying to get home. I bet your kitty missed you terribly. His purrer is probably working on overtime now.

Amy ... Those bunnies are adorable. Glad the girls really liked them and had a wonderful Christmas. ... look at you GO! With 115 mins of exercise yesterday!

Deana ... Welcome! You sure did have a rough year. All the more reason to make this year great! I hope that you can get back on track. Good for you for taking care of it now instead of when it is out of hand....I totally commend you on the loss that you have achieved so far. I may have questions for you in the future since you have lost about as much as I am looking to lose.

Lisa ... Welcome! Sorry about your Dad. You have a great set of goals.

MH ... Good for you for being asked to be on the triathlon committee! I know with your energy you will be awesome at it. ... PPD coming to visit this weekend sounds like a good thing. That is quite a trip for them to make so you must be pretty important to them. ...Sorry about your babymomma friend. I hope that she starts to eat again. That is so not healthy for her and I really hope she isn't breastfeeding with those eating habits.

msclark ... Welcome!

Luv ... You always have such nice energy to your posts. Thank you for describing your dietician visit. I was another who asked for more details on that.

Terri ... Welcome back girl! I have missed your posts. Wow you have had a rough month. I hope that your BF gets good news on the job front soon. It is so hard waiting to hear that kind of news and not wanting to call and keep bugging the people making the decision too.

I am sure that there are lots that I missed and I am sorry. I am so ready to be back on the losing end of this game! And I feel better today than the rest of the week so I think I got this! Even if I don't I am going to have the attitude that I do and hope the attitude pulls me through!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, my problem morning child is 8, so maybe it's an age thing? We can but hope that they will outgrow it. Sounds like you're taking a firm hand with GS, he'll come around, or starve - his choice.

I had to yank my DD out of the shower this morning, and throw a towel at her. She was told that if she fought with her sister that she couldn't take a shower (she loves her morning shower). So she climbed in the shower with her little sister and then proceeded to scream at her. I'm really sort of ticked off at the girls, they had swim practice last night but all claimed that they didn't shampoo their hair even though they showered and took forever in the locker room (so had to bathe again this morning). I should make it a rule that there will be no showers on the mornings after swim practice, shampoo or no. My water bill could use the break.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 AM
FitDay Member

April - Hugs! I'm sorry your week has been a bit up and down with TOTM. I thought of you yesterday as I drove past Altoona on I-99.

Terri - the girl at Starbucks gave me a free Americano, she was very sweet. Yes, my big lesson from yesterday is that there are really nice people out there - not that I doubted it, but it worked out well in the end. It's funny, because I had been planning on catching the shuttle to the hotel and just getting in the car and driving home. At the last moment, I decided to book a room and do the drive in the morning 'cause I thought snow was forecasted. Can you imagine if I'd had the car trouble at 1 in the morning?! Would have been way more awful.

Well, I'm enjoying my last leisure days before the semester starts up again. I think my classes this semester are going to be tougher, plus I'm looking at starting research, so we'll see how it goes!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 AM
FitDay Member

Hello lovlies!! So far it's been a great day. I may not have woken in time for a workout, but I DID get up early enough to actually cook breakfast. Which was terrific if I do say so myself. I haven't even considered hurting anyone at work today either, something's not quite right with this...

Anyway, thought I'd check in before I head to lunch. Hope all is well with everyone.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
Mike: You leave Terri alone about dolling up, she's been sick. Let her get past the coughing and then you can pick on her all you want. I probably did hear you screaming, but I just thought it was my kids fighting with each other and put them in time out. Geez, you're going to have DSS riding me britches. Now pull up your panties and get walking, cold weather burns more calories than warm so stop making excuses, oh wait would those be your own words biting you on the ass?
Yeah, I know I was making excuses. I need to get past that. On a side note, there has been a (masked) guy in town that has been holding up women at gun point, hoping in the car, taking them to the ATM and draining their account. It's crazy, this has happened like several times in the past few weeks. The last time was last night. I'm not a woman (although April may say something different) but it doesn't give ya the warm fuzzies kowing that someone is walking around town with a gun robbing people, so I could have a valid excuse. I wanted to get my GF a gun so if she's help up she can pop a cap in his ass (that's how we do it down here) but she doesn't want one. I think I'll go pick up a can of mace for her.
Like earlier incidents, women carjacked, robbed in Slidell | wwltv.com New Orleans
http://www.wwltv.com/news/northshore...136545808.html
It's also been said that he may be the one that recently robbed a gas station. http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/nort...136614683.html
Originally Posted by taubele
My goal to get all dolled up is missing this week as I am sick, and not going to put makeup on when I'm just going to rub it all off with tissues from wiping my nose and coughing I will put it back where it belongs next week! I am, however, trying to dress nicely this week. I need to buy more work clothes...

~Terri
I was just giving you a hard time.

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Ugh! I'm here. After losing half of what I was up last week I got my every three week visit from my wonderful Auntie F! So I have no idea what I weigh right now. It's been as high as 278 one morning this week but I am so not recording that crap! I hate how tired I get during TOTM (time of the month) too. Yesterday I didn't exercise when I should have. So this morning I did. And of course, once I got going, it was so worth it and felt so good. I even convinced myself that I wanted to start jumping rope to get some more cardio going. I only lasted 5 minutes but outside at 5:30AM at about 30*F it wasn't very wise to stay out much longer anyway in shorts and t-shirt

Since I have been so off, I didn't make goals this week other than to get back to eating like I should and exercise before work tomorrow again. Hubby's off work this weekend so I won't get my exercise in when he goes to work like I do on his work weekends. Oh and if you ever see me refer to him as DH it is probably more like D**khead, not dear husband. LOL

I read the whole thread. Took me two days at work to get through it but I couldn't post until I read it all. I hope that my out of date comments don't confuse anyone.

Mike ... You are definitely just one of the girls here. It really wouldn't be the same if you were to leave us....I have found out that I can drink a gallon of water in the day and still not have to get up at night to pee any more than I usually would which is about 1-2 times per week....Good for you on your acts of kindness! And 2 policies written despite all your internet problems. What about a wireless plan with a mobile phone company?
Sheesh, I know I can be moody and hormonal, is that why I'm one of the girls? My the TOTM is why you are thinking of DH as the other DH??

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 01-05-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Sheesh, I know I can be moody and hormonal, is that why I'm one of the girls? My the TOTM is why you are thinking of DH as the other DH??
Haha! Nope, I just always refer to him as hubby so if you see DH that is probably what it is. ... I would never tell the guys at work that it is my TOTM that is why I consider you like one of the girls. Not that you are feminine or anything else. You are totally a guy.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bojibridge
April - Hugs! I'm sorry your week has been a bit up and down with TOTM. I thought of you yesterday as I drove past Altoona on I-99.
When you passed the exit for Hollidaysburg and then on your left down over the bank could see a bunch of big white fuel tanks....I work like right next to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.