FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   7-Day Motivational Thread starting 11/14/11 (OMG there are only 42 days until X-mas) (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/5697-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-11-14-11-omg-there-only-42-days-until-x-mas.html)

wildbeanerz 11-15-2011 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by bojibridge (Post 62461)
Oh no you didn't!! :eek:

Seriously, folks, it's been a madhouse here on the Penn State campus for the last week! I was walking to my car the other day and basically had to run a gauntlet of media vans and reporters. It's quieted down a bit this week, but everyone still kind of seems to be walking around in a daze.

I was wondering how you were making out up there. It's gotta be a madhouse! I still can't believe all that's going on.

almeeker 11-15-2011 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 62442)
I still use it with my 18 & 28 year olds and their friends... heck... I use it on my husband when he comes home crabby and stressed. lol If you get a chance, try the "...do something nice for someone today and come home and tell me what you did." I got a lot of insights into school bullying, etc. out of that one that I never would have heard otherwise... usually my kids standing up for someone that the popular kids had tossed aside, etc.

I have a section of my kitchen counter that I call "the confessional". Kids and their friends come home, I make them something to eat and they start spilling their guts... more so my kids friends than them, but that ok. Some of the things that they have told me over the last 25 years would make your hair curl. Everything from alcoholic parents to stories from my son's friends who came home from 2-3 tours in Iraq. I thought about replacing my kitchen counters last year, but I'd miss "the confessional". There's something kind of magical about it. I can't part with it quite yet. ;)

Glad it worked for you. Try it with their friends... you'd be surprised what you hear.

I tried it first on my afternoon daycare boy. He opened right up about how he had gotten his journal done on time yesterday so he didn't have to stay in at lunch recess. Usually when I asked him what he did or how is day went, he grunts and asks if he can have cookies for snack today. It was really nice, we had maybe a 10 minute discussion about his day. I might use it today at Brownies.

wildbeanerz 11-15-2011 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 62462)
but if he's watching something I won't turn the channel or whine about what's on.

I think that is every man's dream! :rolleyes:

almeeker 11-15-2011 02:34 AM

Seriously, folks, it's been a madhouse here on the Penn State campus for the last week! I was walking to my car the other day and basically had to run a gauntlet of media vans and reporters. It's quieted down a bit this week, but everyone still kind of seems to be walking around in a daze.

I felt that way too when I read that Joe Pa was fired. Good grief he's been the coach at Penn State my whole life. Crazy stuff that, guilty by association.

almeeker 11-15-2011 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 62469)
I think that is every man's dream! :rolleyes:

Yes, that's me - every man's dream girl LOL.... NOT!!! I just don't care that much about what's on TV, and if I am watching it, there is some sort of busy work in my hands like knitting, sewing, coupons, paperwork, anything so I'm not just sitting there wasting time watching TV.

wildbeanerz 11-15-2011 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 62471)
Yes, that's me - every man's dream girl LOL.... NOT!!! I just don't care that much about what's on TV, and if I am watching it, there is some sort of busy work in my hands like knitting, sewing, coupons, paperwork, anything so I'm not just sitting there wasting time watching TV.

That is usually me too. Cross stitch, fold laundry, clip dog nails, FB on my phone, etc LOL

mhibdon 11-15-2011 02:48 AM

Also... I might start having to rival Mike for the "Raciest Progress Pictures" title- not gonna lie, I've been lookin' hot ;P

quinnesec 11-15-2011 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 62468)
I tried it first on my afternoon daycare boy. He opened right up about how he had gotten his journal done on time yesterday so he didn't have to stay in at lunch recess. Usually when I asked him what he did or how is day went, he grunts and asks if he can have cookies for snack today. It was really nice, we had maybe a 10 minute discussion about his day. I might use it today at Brownies.

You made my day... Thanks!

The nice thing about "the confessional" is that there's a rule that anything that was "confessed" to me there, stayed there. No parents, school officials, etc. were or would be, ever contacted, no matter how bad. I just thought that if they could bounce something off of an adult, in confidence, the advice received would be more reliable than from another kid. Lots of tears and lots of hugs... lots of boyfriend/girlfriend advice, period advice, birth control advice :eek:, advice to a gay teen, you name it, I've heard it... probably more than once. Some are now nearly 30 and if I see them on the street, I still get hugs. They're great kids. They're all "my kids" and I love each and every one of them, no matter how messed up...lol. They're like puppies at an animal shelter... they all have issues, but they're all lovable.

My parents were very wonderful, but very "old-school", strict and stiff. No hugs, (handshakes for the boys), no silliness and most topics were considered "not proper conversation". I swore, when I had kids, I would break that cycle and boy, did I! :eek: lol The one thing that I never got used to were kids calling me by my first name, so they all call me "mom" which has gotten some funny looks. Especially for one of my son's friends who is a huge 6'3", black bodybuilder. (I'm 5'5" and blonde.)

Probably TMI... sorry! When people ask, "What have you been doing since you left the business 15 years ago?", that's what I've been doing and, for me, it was the best thing ever.

01gt4.6 11-15-2011 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 62330)
April
Terri
Mern
Darlene
mh
Hope
Mary
Joanna
rubypeanut
Ann
Rose
Lizzie

oh sorry.

Originally Posted by mhibdon (Post 62463)
HEY GUYS!!!!!!!

"Yeah, I don't think that mh likes us. I even sent her a pm (after Quinn already won the over bet) and didn't get a response. My heart felt like it was crumbled up and thrown away like a used up Kleenex full of snot rockets. It's okay though. I can't say as if I'll ever be the same but life goes on. It must." Mike, honey, baby, darling; bitches gotta work: I was in class, then running labs... then I had an impromptu date that, ah, kept me a bit busy. Though you should totally add me on facebook, I wouldn't reject you (as long as you send me a message saying who you are). :)

GUESS WHAT THOUGH!! I'M DOWN 4LBS SINCE I LEFT!!!!! I'll post more later, but right now I have to get dressed to go heckle people, then I have an interview for a summer position. I MIGHT GET TO CONTINUE MY RESEARCH OVER THE SUMMER!!!!

Wow, congrats on your 4 pound loss. We didn't really miss you, we just missed hearing about Steg. How's he doing and where are your goals... with him listed in them?

Originally Posted by mhibdon (Post 62473)
Also... I might start having to rival Mike for the "Raciest Progress Pictures" title- not gonna lie, I've been lookin' hot ;P

I think the "Raciest Progress Pictures" award went to Jackdup. :eek: I think he has since removed them. Mine isn't THAT bad, my pants are just a little low. The pic in my "public profile" also has them low but that's a small pic.

mhibdon 11-15-2011 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 62477)
...We didn't really miss you, we just missed hearing about Steg...

Oh. Okay. Fine then. :(