FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   7-Day Motivational Thread starting 11/14/11 (OMG there are only 42 days until X-mas) (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/5697-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-11-14-11-omg-there-only-42-days-until-x-mas.html)

01gt4.6 11-17-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by mhibdon (Post 62726)
Only if you also put the disclaimer to ONLY do it with a spotter and to make sure to stay symmetrical. I've attempted something similar, but I'm not a fan. (I also had a shitty spotter and I probably wasn't strong enough to attempt, but still. Not. A. Fan.)

Spotter? I'm all over it. :) You probably had too much weight. You have to lighten the load a lot!!! That's cool that you were thinking outside the box and tried it though. Try it with less weight... and a good spotter. ;) I did it last time with a 45# bar and 30#'s on one side and no spotter and it was hard. I probably should not have been doing it without a spotter.

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 62133)
I guess I'll throw this out there, if anyone decides to try it, let me know what you think!

First off, must people underestimate how much more intense a workout can be when you're fighting for your balance. That's why machines are so much easier, and less effective than free weight. Some of the best exercises such as squats require balance. Ever try doing a single leg squat? They are hard as hell!

Next time you go to bench press, grab a bench and a barbell. I know you're thinking that dumbbells would require more balance than a barbell, in some cases this may be true... but not here. This is where it gets tricky. You're going to use A LOT less weight and it's going to be much harder. You can probably use 25% of the weight that you normally add to the bar, and you may want a spotter... seriously! For example, lets say you normally add 30 pounds to each side, try adding 15 pounds this time... to ONLY ONE SIDE, have no weight on the other side. Give that a whirl. You'll have to push up on the weighted side, while pulling down on the unweighted side just to keep the bar even. Once you've tried that and you are feeling all bad ass and everyone in the gym is looking at you like "I think she may be on to something.", switch sides. You only thought the 1st set through you for a loop, once you switch the weight to the other side, you'll be fighting like crazy to keep your balance. You'll feel your back muscles tightening up, your abs/core will be freaking out, and your ass and legs are going to be like "What in the hell is she doing!!!"

Then come back and tell me if that wasn't harder and more bad ass than you ever expected. This weight lifting tip was brought to you by the letters W, I & N. :)

almeeker 11-17-2011 05:53 AM

Wednesday Report Card

Healthy Goals

1. Calories 1,400 M-T-W-Th & Sun, 1,600 F&S. 1,400, 1,399, 1,284
2. 100 oz water. Y,Y,Y
3. Protein 25% or higher. 27%, 22% 26%
4. Calorie deficit 5,000. -1,024, -1,306, -855 (total -3,185)
5. Exercise 7 hours. 50 min, 75 min, 55 min (3:00)
6. Log everything, and report on this thread. Y,Y,Y
7. Report my weight right here. 157.6, 156, 156, 156.2
8. Limit cheating to a single meal, of normal size and duration. No cheating. No cheating. No cheating.
9. 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, 100 push-ups, 10 sets of calf raises, 10 miles. 25-20-10-0-1, 25-20-20-2-0, 0-0-0-0-3, 50-40-50-2-0, (total 100-80-80-4-4)

Other Stuff

1. Deal with flower pots. 2 down, N,N
2. Deal with squash, pickles and pumpkins. Finished the pickles! Washed all the acorn squash and baked 8 of them. Baked 14 acorn squash. Baked 15 acorn squash and put 6 quarts in the freezer.
3. Housekeeping 1 hour + 1 load of laundry/daily. YY, YY, YY
4. Start Christmas list and update wish list. N,N,N
5. Deal with coupon binder. N,N,N

Yesterday was the typical nuttiness that is a Wednesday around here. The swim moms poked a little fun at me again for my purple face and sweat drenched hair, and the one that joined me on Monday night is still taking pain killers every four hours. Oh well, maybe next week I'll see her up there. I thought I posted this last night, but it disappeared on me. Anyway I can't chat now, the living room looks like a demolition zone, and the kitchen is WORSE :eek::eek::eek:!

Joanna, I was an art student in college, we were expected to be/look strange. Being strange comes easily to me, looking strange took much more effort, and many many bottles of hair dye. My hair has been just about every unnatural color you can image, but I have to say that hot pink was my absolute favorite. Anyone that says blonds have more fun, has never dyed their hair pink, believe me buckets and buckets of fun. So go for it. Purple was also a good bit of fun, black not so much.

almeeker 11-17-2011 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 62732)
Spotter? I'm all over it. :) You probably had too much weight. You have to lighten the load a lot!!! That's cool that you were thinking outside the box and tried it though. Try it with less weight... and a good spotter. ;) I did it last time with a 45# bar and 30#'s on one side and no spotter and it was hard. I probably should not have been doing it without a spotter.

I haven't tried it yet, but the kids are starting with a new private swim coach on Friday night. So DH and I could be in the gym together and he can spot for me.

01gt4.6 11-17-2011 07:48 AM

Did anyone here that scream? It wasn't Qunn this time. It was me having computer issues again. Sorry if I startled anyone!

wildbeanerz 11-17-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 62743)
Did anyone here that scream? It wasn't Qunn this time. It was me having computer issues again. Sorry if I startled anyone!

Pour a cup of water slowly over the keyboard. ;)

01gt4.6 11-17-2011 08:04 AM

My last one accidentally crashed... to the floor.

Update, I just wrote another. :D

MAIN80 11-17-2011 09:54 AM

Very late posting, yesterday was not as good as previous days.

1. Under 1200 calories M-F. Sunday 1400. 1116, 1067, 1558
2. Water 3 liters every day. Yes, Yes, Yes
3. Exercise 4 times M-F Yes, Yes, No
4. Additional daily squats Yes, Yes, No
5. Stay away from cheese Yes, Yes, Yes
6. Stay away from baked goods Yes, Yes, Yes
7. Take vitamins Yes, Yes, Yes
8. Go to sleep before midnight Yes, Yes, No
9. Clean my inbox. Halfway there. Mmmm, didn't get that much done with this one, again no progress.

MAIN80 11-17-2011 10:17 AM

Darlene, as April I am a bit of a freak with my inbox, and I am only happy when there are like 5 lingering messages there. Right now there are some I need to reply too, some I need to download something or save something and then I can happily archive them. It becomes a recurring goal of mine, hehehe. Good job so far!

Mhibdon, hope you are doing better with your goals, and the date prospect going out for the walk is a good thing!

April, I am exactly like that with my inbox, I am stressed to see so many messages... great going on losing those pounds. Did you use a real real dremmel? And glad your dad is visiting again!

Quinn, I am way late on this but I think a mini fridge is an AMAZING gift and definitely not something you HAD to get her anyway.... bedding maybe :).

Almeeker, your words were used correctly, me and my dirty mind are a whole different story. :)

Mike, sorry that your tennis plans good messed up by the weather, no more cheating for you this week and well I really just have to say that 20 year olds flirt. Don't crash your computer on the floor, ok? Step away slowly.

Joanna, hope you did great on your exam! Pictures of the pink red hair are a must! I still want to do some purple or blue bits on mine... hmmm next year maybe.

And now I am very hungry...

01gt4.6 11-17-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by MAIN80 (Post 62754)
Very late posting, yesterday was not as good as previous days.

1. Under 1200 calories M-F. Sunday 1400. 1116, 1067, 1558
2. Water 3 liters every day. Yes, Yes, Yes
3. Exercise 4 times M-F Yes, Yes, No
4. Additional daily squats Yes, Yes, No
5. Stay away from cheese Yes, Yes, Yes
6. Stay away from baked goods Yes, Yes, Yes
7. Take vitamins Yes, Yes, Yes
8. Go to sleep before midnight Yes, Yes, No
9. Clean my inbox. Halfway there. Mmmm, didn't get that much done with this one, again no progress.

Mike, sorry that your tennis plans good messed up by the weather, no more cheating for you this week and well I really just have to say that 20 year olds flirt. Don't crash your computer on the floor, ok? Step away slowly.

So far it's looking like yesterday was your only struggle. I'm sure you'll do great today and the rest of the week. Thanks for the reminder, my cheat has come and gone. Gotta be good from here on out. :)

01gt4.6 11-17-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 62733)
Wednesday Report Card

Healthy Goals

1. Calories 1,400 M-T-W-Th & Sun, 1,600 F&S. 1,400, 1,399, 1,284
2. 100 oz water. Y,Y,Y
3. Protein 25% or higher. 27%, 22% 26%
4. Calorie deficit 5,000. -1,024, -1,306, -855 (total -3,185)
5. Exercise 7 hours. 50 min, 75 min, 55 min (3:00)
6. Log everything, and report on this thread. Y,Y,Y
7. Report my weight right here. 157.6, 156, 156, 156.2
8. Limit cheating to a single meal, of normal size and duration. No cheating. No cheating. No cheating.
9. 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, 100 push-ups, 10 sets of calf raises, 10 miles. 25-20-10-0-1, 25-20-20-2-0, 0-0-0-0-3, 50-40-50-2-0, (total 100-80-80-4-4)

Other Stuff

1. Deal with flower pots. 2 down, N,N
2. Deal with squash, pickles and pumpkins. Finished the pickles! Washed all the acorn squash and baked 8 of them. Baked 14 acorn squash. Baked 15 acorn squash and put 6 quarts in the freezer.
3. Housekeeping 1 hour + 1 load of laundry/daily. YY, YY, YY
4. Start Christmas list and update wish list. N,N,N
5. Deal with coupon binder. N,N,N

You should be feeling good about this week, doing all the right things. Man you are killing #9!