Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 10/17/11 >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 10/17/11

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 10/17/11

Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Terri, I love that quote about the lemons! I should print that out and put it over my desk, or on my fridge.

Mern, for a second, I misread your post and thought you carried your older GD into the house. Wow, I would pay to see that!

Thanks, MAIN80; it was a week ago today but I'm at an age where I try not to make it a big deal .

April, ah, the joys of childrearing. I think you're absolutely right in choosing what to get riled up about and what to let go. There is only so much energy that should be spent when someone's going to think their own way regardless. Just remember, it's the ODD talking, not him.

I had an incident with my son on Saturday that I'm still a bit upset about, though it's largely forgotten. I really overreacted to something I happened to see on his Facebook (it was a post that popped up on the side of my own page). He had posted a picture of a toddler in a stupid outfit and the caption was "I hate you, mom." Which, okay, it was a funny pic, but then he wrote under it, "This was me when I was little." For some reason that was hurtful to me. My son and I are very, very close; he is, still, at 15, a "mama's boy" and two nights before he told me I was awesome. He has never said "I hate you" or anything like that towards me. I know it's not a big deal and I overreacted, but I told him how upset I was and how hurtful I thought it was, and that I thought it was inappropriate. No consequences, punishment, etc., given, but he essentially put himself in his room for the next two days, straightened it, did all his homework, practiced his instrument...I know I made him feel bad without even really doing all that much; I didn't even yell, but I probably raised my voice (yes, there's a difference). I know I need to let it go, but this is really the first time we've ever had any sort of incident and I'm just stuck on it, I guess, and wishing I had handled it differently .
Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Amy, in case you are wondering, I was going to order a save the ta tas shirt but it dawned on me that that is a different foundation. I didn't think it would be "politically correct" to wear their shirt while raising money for Susan G Komen. Also besides never wearing pink, I never wear a V neck, so there ya go.
Oh sorry, didn't realize it was a different organization. I just saw it on a bumper sticker during a traffic jam and cracked up. Then I realized that the driver looked a bit like the Marlboro man, cowboy hat and everything, which made me laugh even more.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

I found a better shirt... at the grocery store.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
FitDay Member

Main80, it's early in the week so you've time to get in that exercise three times and work on that list. You did great on calories, so the only thing I see as not accomplished was the 3 liters of water Monday. Some days I don't even have time to skim--today was a rare easy day-- some extra time to myself because DH picked up the elementary school grandkids and met my daughter with them after work. Thanks--I accept your challenge to drink more water tomorrow--at least 48 oz. of the 64.

Cassie, my 17 year old granddaughter is about 4 inches taller than I. I doubt I could get her off the ground. LOL I'm so sorry about your incident with your son. I totally agree there is a difference between raising one's voice and yelling--and in my own experience voice raising and yelling are accepted differently by the child. Do you think your son stayed in his room out of embarrassment for hurting you--not able to face you? Of course I don't know you son, but wonder if it may have simply been a bad joke. Did he say why he wrote that? My son, now 32, DID tell me once, when he was in a very rebellious state at age 16, that he hated me. I didn't think he meant it, but I never forgot how hurtful it was to hear. My guess is that it was harder for you because of your son being an only child and because of your being so close, too. Too bad kids (AND adults) don't think before they speak or write something and I must admit I've done it myself--trying to be funny and inadvertently hurt someone.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, so you're gonna save the pink V neck for next year's fund raiser, eh? LOL

Headed out again--had to drive 18 miles in two round trips for granddaughter to work a just three hour shift. UGH! BUT she's working to save up money to buy a car, so it won't be extra driving for me forever.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
FitDay Member

Tuesday Report Card

Health & Fitness

1. Calories 1,300-1,400 M-Th + Sun and 1,600 F&S. 1,241, 1,398
2. 100oz water. Y,Y
3. Protein 25% or higher. 25%, 25%
4. Calorie deficit 5,000 or higher. -1,711, -1,444 (total -3,155)
5. Exercise 7 hours. 90 min, 85 min (total 2:55)
6. 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 15 sets of twinkle toes. 20-0-20-3, 20-25-20-3 (total 40-25-40-6)
7. Log all foods and check in on this thread daily. Y,Y

Other Goals:

1. Housework 45min daily + 1 load of laundry. YY, YY
2. Get 2 Halloween costumes finished. Worked on youngest DDs, Worked on youngest DDs
3. Call grans. N,N
4. Finish beets & tomatoes. Finished tomatoes, 1/2 done with beets. Finished beets, they are too much WORK!
5. Finish picking the garden. N,N
6. Plants the odds and ends in the flower bed. N,N

Today went pretty well, usually so long as I get up and get the workout done I feel pretty strong through the morning, lately it's been the afternoon snacking that kills me. But today I had Girl Scouts after school, so no time to snack. Anyway this thread has been so active the last few days I'm having trouble keeping up to speed and then replying to everyone.

darn, I think it was you that asked about making homemade ketchup, it's not hard. I usually use fresh tomatoes, remove the blossom and stem ends, and run them through the blender until it looks like V8 juice (you need 2-3 gallons of tomatoes give or take). Then I add to that a gallon sized container of tomato paste. I roughly follow the recipe in the Ball canning book but mine cooks in 1/2 the time of the recipe, because the tomato paste is so thick it reduces faster. A recipe makes 14 quarts and costs about $4-5. I'll have to look up the recipe, can't recall off the top of my head exactly what's in it, salt, pepper, vinegar, molasses, garlic and a bit of hot sauce or chili powder.

I can't remember who, but someone asked what costumes I was making for the kiddos. Youngest DD wants to be the garden gnome from "Gnomeo & Juliet". She's a cutie to begin with, but add a pointy red hat and some pink cheeks and I might have to worry about someone stealing her out of the flower bed! Middle DD wanted to be a "showgirl", which was sort of a problem once we Googled it. Apparently showgirls don't wear fabric, just beads and feathers? After much debate she agreed to wear more material and now I'm making her a hot pink flapper dress with a cute feathered headband, although she would be quite pleased to wear a diamond encrusted bikini and a giant feathered headdress should I change my mind on the fabric issue. OY, she will be the death of me. The oldest DD has an Elizabeth Cady Stanton costume, which I made her last winter for a competition, and at the time she swore up and down she would wear it for Halloween. However, these things change and now she wants to be an Indian. I have a pattern, so that shouldn't be too bad, although I am putting her off until last lest I run out of time...

Mern, I'm sorry to hear that your childhood was not the prettiest picture. You seem so well adjusted and have your head screwed on tight. I'm so very glad you prevailed over a rough childhood and turned out to be such a fantastic grandma. I have a very good friend who came from the worst sort of household, parts of which remain a nightmare to this day. Anyway her own children are absolutely fantastic and if you ask her how she did it, she'll tell you that she just thought of what her own parents would have done and did the opposite. Sounds like you have a similar approach, that takes real strength.

Cassie, I'm sorry that you and the boy had a little issue. It sounds like he was just trying to be funny, dropping a little pebble that actually was a boulder. It's kind of funny and sweet that he's trying to sooth your feathers by cleaning his room and doing homework. He's a good kid, I can tell.

Joanna sorry that you have to take an exam on your birthday. That just sucks. When I was in college I turned 21 pulling an all-nighter in architecture studio finishing a project for presentation the next day. By the time it was over I was so sleep deprived that I had maybe 2 drinks and passed out dead to the world from sheer exhaustion. But truthfully that was a lot better than bar hopping all night and ending up with blood alcohol poisoning and spending some QT at the ER, right? Okay maybe not. Good luck on the test and then go have some fun.

I gotta get going, the kids are now screaming "mom if you don't come up here and read, we're going to watch TV". Sounds serious, so I better log off. 'Night.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:47 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the sympathy, Amy. Truthfully, I'm not that concerned about the test. I've been in school so long now that having an exam is literally just another day at the office. That, and my stress level is inversely proportional to the amount that I should be stressed - so the bigger deal something is supposed to be, the less I worry about it. It's both a good and a bad thing. Tomorrow night, I'm going out to play trivia and then do karaoke - my favorite thing in the world! Gonna celebrate the big 2-7 in style!

Cassie - definitely sounds like the picture your son posted was meant to be funny - tongue in cheek, I'd say. But it's an important lesson to learn (I remember learning it, myself) - think about what you say and how it might be taken before you say it (or in this case, post it)! I think it's even more true in the internet age because you cannot easily convey tone or meaning through a line of text on a social network page. It's so easy for innocent fun turn into something nasty. He certainly won't forget that now, and I think that's really important!

Well, I'm on here 'cause I don't want to study, so I should get back to it
Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728

I had an incident with my son on Saturday that I'm still a bit upset about, though it's largely forgotten. I really overreacted to something I happened to see on his Facebook (it was a post that popped up on the side of my own page). He had posted a picture of a toddler in a stupid outfit and the caption was "I hate you, mom." Which, okay, it was a funny pic, but then he wrote under it, "This was me when I was little." For some reason that was hurtful to me. My son and I are very, very close; he is, still, at 15, a "mama's boy" and two nights before he told me I was awesome. He has never said "I hate you" or anything like that towards me. I know it's not a big deal and I overreacted, but I told him how upset I was and how hurtful I thought it was, and that I thought it was inappropriate. No consequences, punishment, etc., given, but he essentially put himself in his room for the next two days, straightened it, did all his homework, practiced his instrument...I know I made him feel bad without even really doing all that much; I didn't even yell, but I probably raised my voice (yes, there's a difference). I know I need to let it go, but this is really the first time we've ever had any sort of incident and I'm just stuck on it, I guess, and wishing I had handled it differently .
Cassie,

A few years ago, when daughter was probably 15 or 16, I thought I was being an involved parent and kept track of her facebook page quite a bit. About 3 times during one summer, I misunderstood something that she had posted and went ballistic. (Or something that someone had posted about her.) Usually, it was something that I took the wrong way, I accused her of some things and in reality, all three times I was wrong and climbed her cage for something that she didn't do. (I actually made her cry once for something that she was totally innocent of.) I finally quit looking and just decided that she was a good kid and had to do "kid things". As long as she was a good kid, the less I knew the better (which was terribly hard for me).

I know your incident is completely different. It just seems that sometimes what means one thing to them, means something totally different to us as parents. You've got a great son and he loves you to pieces. There's no doubt about that. He was probably just blowing off steam or trying to be funny to his friends. I'm sure he thought you'd never see it and was embarrassed and felt badly when you did.

Last edited by quinnesec; 10-18-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

I should have time tomorrow to make my video wearing pink. Thanks again everyone. I still have more dancing bananas if anyone wants to get me closer to a pair of shorts.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

Had a wonderful, relaxing day followed by a great night out to dinner. Did well on my calories, just not the cleanest of food choices.

Trying to repeat last weeks success:

1. Calories between 1000-1200; LOG EVERYTHING! Allowing for Tuesday to be an exception. (Daughter's 18th birthday) I think so; hard to log. Over by a piece of cake.

2. 90 oz. of water a day, no excuses. No, but close. No, they're chlorinating our water supply and it's awful!!!

3. NO BREAD FOR ONE WEEK, which will force me to eat the things that I should be eating instead. Yes, 1 piece out to dinner

4. No butter, margarine, spreads... nothing. Yes, Yes

5. Take all vitamins and supplements; don't skip the big, nasty ones. Yes, Yes

6. Quit making excuses for falling off the wagon, even on weekends. There are no excuses... you've just been lazy and undisciplined. Yes, Yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.