Community
Notices

Motivational Thread Starting 9/26

Old 09-28-2011, 01:49 AM
FitDay Member

Ah.. those devils and angels. The devils won concerning my eating last night. But, today is a new day. It's going to be a nice one for us, too... 70 degrees and sunny. Think I'm going to do some fall housecleaning. (bedding, etc.) Then, I have to paint an exterior door. (Been waiting for a warm, dry day.)

Hopefully by noon, I'll be able to hit the trails and get in a hike. The leaves in the mountains are turning and it's a gorgeous time of year here. I should get over to the apple orchard and stock up as well, if I have time.

Lots to do, but it's all "happy work". After a week of cold, rainy, dreary weather it's wonderful to get outside!

Enjoy your day, all!

quinn
Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

Rose, you're such a sweetheart. Thanks for the welcome back.

Low carb got my blood sugar and DH's high blood pressure back to normal.

Lowering my cholesterol (still have a way to go) was achieved by regulating my fat intake--increasing good fats and decreasing bad fats. Whether reducing saturated fats (largely found in red meats) helps is controversial, but Doc and I decided it couldn't hurt to try.

Of course, I'm a cholesterol reducing novice and my way isn't the only way, but these are the dietary changes I made:

--switched from real eggs to zero cholesterol egg substitute such as Egg Beaters or the store brand
--at least four tablespoons of ground flaxmeal, daily
--half an avocado daily
-- an ounce of almonds daily (1 1/2 ounces daily is recommended)
--a tablespoons olive oil daily (2 tablespoons daily recommended, so I supplement also with odorless fish oil capsules)
-- Fish twice a week
-- Red meat just once or twice a week
-- limit my dietary cholesterol to an average of 300mg per day
-- limit my saturated fat to an average of 12% of total calories (10% is recommended)

For support of our strategy, I offer these articles I found on the Internet that Doc and I discussed and from which we formulated our plan of attack:

Reduce Cholesterol Through Diet

Eggs: Are they good or bad for my cholesterol? - MayoClinic.com
Thomas Behrenbeck, M.D., Ph.D.
If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol intake to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day.
One large egg has about 213 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.
__________________________________________________ ____________
Cholesterol: Top five foods to lower your numbers - MayoClinic.com
Mayo Clinic Staff
1. Soluble fiber 5-10g soluable fiber per day can decrease total and LDL cholesterol.
Marilyn's note: ground flaxmeal is zero net carb (4g total carbs, 4g fiber, soluble fiber 1g)
2. Two servings of fish a week. The highest levels of omega-3 fatty acids are in:
Mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna, salmon, halibut
You should bake or grill the fish to avoid adding unhealthy fats
3. NUTS 1.5 oz or 42.5g per day
Walnuts, almonds and other nuts can reduce blood cholesterol
We buy almonds, pecans, walnuts
FDA says 1.5 oz or 42.5g per day. Replace high fat cheese with nuts.
4. OLIVE OIL 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil per day
5. Other changes to your diet-No more than 10% calories from sat fats.
For any of these foods to provide their benefit, you need to make other changes to your diet and lifestyle.
Cut back on meat and full fat dairy to reduce cholesterol and total fat, especially saturated and trans fats. Saturated fats, like those in meat, full-fat dairy products and some oils, raise your total cholesterol. Trans fats, which are sometimes found in margarines and store-bought cookies, crackers and cakes, are particularly bad for your cholesterol levels. Trans fats raise low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the "bad" cholesterol, and lower high-density lipoprotein (HDL), the "good" cholesterol
__________________________________________________ ____________________
MUFAs: Why should my diet include these fats? - MayoClinic.com

FAT: The Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services recommend that fat make up no more than 20 to 35 percent of your daily calories.
For instance, MUFAs (mono unsaturated fatty acids) may lower your total blood cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels. MUFAs may also help normalize blood clotting. And some research shows that MUFAs may also benefit insulin levels and blood sugar control, which can be especially helpful if you have type 2 diabetes
Just don't go overboard. All fats, including MUFAs, are high in calories, so use MUFAs only in moderation. Consume MUFA-rich foods instead of other fatty foods, not in addition to them.
Avocadoes Canola oil Nuts, such as almonds, cashews, pecans and macadamias Nut butters Olive oil Olives Peanut oil Sesame seeds
Consume MUFA-rich foods instead of other fatty foods, not in addition to them. The Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services recommend that fat make up no more than 20 to 35 percent of your daily calories.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

High Cholesterol Foods List

Learn to read the food labels. Understand the food labels and food label reading correctly:

Cholesterol Free Food means less than 2 mg cholesterol and 2 g or less fat. "Free" does not mean zero cholesterol

Low Cholesterol Food means 20 mg or less cholesterol and 2 g or less saturated fat.

Fat Free Foods means less than 1/2 g fat. "Free" does not mean zero fat.

Low Fat Food means 3 g or less fat;

Reduced Fat Food means at least 25 percent less fat than similar normal fat food.

High cholesterol foods are mainly
--All animal products such egg yolks, meat, poultry, fish and higher fat milk products.
--Processed and prepared foods such as cookies, pastries and muffins contain high amounts of fat including trans-fats.
--Deep fried foods.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Last edited by Mern; 09-28-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:53 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning ladies and Mike. I went to bed early last night, our oldest DD in fact, read stories and tucked the youngest DD's in bed for me. I was soooo stinking tired and achy all over. She's such a sweety. Anyway I slept through my workout this morning, and today I feel much better, not quite 100% but maybe 85-90ish. So hopefully I'll be up tomorrow morning and get that workout done. I guess I just needed sleep more than sweat.

On a side note, yesterday I had an epiphany and wanted to share it. I still have trouble waking up and getting that workout done every morning, but I'm trying to form a new approach to it. And that's when it occurred to me that I don't particularly enjoy doing the laundry, or climbing out of my nice warm bed to take a shower, or doing the dishes, but it's maintenance that needs to be done every day, like it or not. I don't have to love the workout, I don't have to look forward to it, I just need to get it done, and once it's done the quality of my life is better. So working out is just like showering, doing the dishes or brushing my hair, just do it and be done with it.

Also I think there is a great deal you can read between the lines if you think about what people don't say. I've heard lots of people say things like, they wished they gone to college, or they wished they hadn't spent so much money, or wished they worked out more, or weighed less, or never dated so and so. But you never hear anybody say "oh man I wish I'd never gotten that MBA", or "I wish that I'd never gotten in great shape", or "I wish I didn't feel so great and eat so healthy" or "I wish I didn't have such a fantastic body". Nope, you never hear any of that. So my aim is to live my life in such a way that I can't complain, whose with me?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 AM
FitDay Member

I'm cracking up over the angels and devils this morning. My little devil got me up in the middle of the night and fed me nachos and ice cream. My angel had either gotten a better offer or was down for the count, my devil on the other hand was loud, manipulative and convincing. I need to get that angel some assertiveness training and maybe a cup of coffee.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

Amy, I'm with you. Interesting that you mentioned exercise today because I had planned on going to the gym with live-in GD last night and then at the last minute she asked me to take her to the mall to shop for her homecoming dance dress. Most often, if I postpone my exercise until evening it just doesn't get done. So I'm going to recommit to getting it in before my grandkids come home from school.

Tuesday report:
Calorie limit 1600 1433, 1475
Carb less fiber average 25g per day 24.8, 24.2
Fiber 30g 30, 31
Sat fat average 12% of total carbs per day 12%14% (was 12% until I ate 2 extra pieces of sugar free chocolate)
Dietary cholesterol average 300mg per day 140, 266
Vitamin D and fish oil YES, YES
6 servings veggies 6 5
Artificial sweetener limit 2 packets per day 0 4
Sugar free candy limit 2 miniatures per day 2 4
Water 64 oz. HORRIBLE, DITTO
Exercise 5 times this week DAY OFF NO

Last edited by Mern; 09-28-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:08 AM
FitDay Member

My devil fed me two extra pieces of sugar free candy which is high in fat and put me in the red for my Tuesday sat fat.

Many of you are too young to remember but in my younger years there was a comic named Flip Wilson who used to dress up like a woman and her excuse for everything she did wrong was "The devil made me do it." LOL

Last edited by Mern; 09-28-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
Amy, I'm with you. Interesting that you mentioned that today because I had planned on going to the gym with live-in GD last night and then at the last minute she decided she asked me to take her to the mall to shop for her homecoming dance dress. Most often, if I postpone my exercise until evening it just doesn't get done. So I'm going to recommit to getting it in before my grandkids come home from school.
The next time that happens, put your gym shoes and workout clothes on and tell her that you can only go if the two of you lap the mall 6 times. The mall near my in-laws has a "Chub Club" and a "Silver Sneakers" that both meet there and walk. 2 birds, one stone and all that.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
My devil fed me two extra pieces of sugar free candy which is high in fat and put me in the red for my Tuesday sat fat.

Many of you are too young to remember but in my younger years there was a comic named Flip Wilson who used to dress up like a woman and her excuse for everything she did wrong was "The devil made me do it." LOL
I'm not too young to remember Flip Wilson.

So where was your angel in all of that? Fighting for you or asleep? I think mine is a deaf and suffers from narcolepsy.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

Oh, I thought only people in their late 50s or older would remember Flip Wilson, Amy.

LOL on your angel being deaf or having narcolepsy. As soon as my devil tempted me I joined her in shooing the angel away. I didn't even try. But today is a new day...
Old 09-28-2011, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
I'm not too young to remember Flip Wilson.
Oh wow, if I don't comment on this one, can I check off one of my good deeds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.