Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 8/22 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 8/22

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 8/22

Old 08-27-2011, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie,

I love nights like that, especially in the winter... fireplace going, a good cup of coffee or glass of wine and a good book and I'm one happy girl. Boring? Probably. But, restorative, all the same.

Mern,

What great news! It just goes to show how important a healthy diet really is. I just hate when people say, "I eat nothing but garbage and my cholesterol is... (fill in some stellar number here)". What they don't realize is that other damage is being done that isn't as easily seen. Or, my mom will say, "Look at me! I smoked for 40 years and I'm 85!" (Yes, and I have to push you everywhere in a wheelchair because your lungs and arteries are shot...) As the caregiver of an elderly parent who smoked, was over weight, had high BP and never exercised, I can tell you first hand, it's a horrible burden to put on children. What a wonderful gift that you're giving your children; one they won't appreciate for many years. But, trust me... they'll thank you one day!

Stayed on track Friday, despite eating out and a ball game. Two more to go and I'm home free!

Enjoy your weekend!

quinn
Old 08-27-2011, 01:25 AM
FitDay Member

Absolutely agree with Quinn, I had patients who could not walk to the end of the bed because they had been heavy smokers all their lives and one said to me " what do you expect, I am 64 after all". Now at 75 + my mum was out dancing and living life, 64 is not old and to accept that lifestyle because you wouldn't change is sad, and a little selfish to your relatives. There were others who also said I'm still alive at 88 and I've smoked and drank and eaten what I wanted, but that's all they are- alive- they haven't actually been living for years, constant hospital admissions, not able to climb stairs, can't go on holiday, sit in front of television all day as they are not fit to go anywhere.
Mern. - I am truly pleased that your results are so improved, it doesn't surprise me though as you are working really hard at changing your lifestyle.

Picked up my partner this morning, now we are off shopping to get some last minute bits and pieces. The cat scared is in place in Mum's garden, fingers crossed that it will work.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I see that Quinn is online. I hope this place isn't a ghost town while everyone is off eating twinkies and bon bons.

I hopped on the scale this morning and even I was a little shocked. This is what I saw when I looked down. (once again, down mind the scratches on my feet)

I'm not out the woods yet. I can't go crazy as I still have to be no more than 169.0 come Monday.

Like I said, I still have a couple days but I'm still going to toot my horn.

That almost looks like 10 pounds in just over a month! Doesn't it?

Keep in mind y'all that fall off the wagon and slip up, it's not the end of the world. I fell off, but got back on and was able to reverse my weight gain in less time than it took to put it on!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-27-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, big congrats on the results of your blood work!
Old 08-27-2011, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, all these successes this morning!

Great job, Mern, on your continued diligence with your diet...and I'm so glad it's paying off!

Mike, the rum cake must be a pounds-melter, ya think? Kudos to you; very well done .

Quinn, very nice work staying strong in even in the face of temptation. I do believe preparation and a positive mental mind set is the key. Keep it up; you're almost home.

Mike, most definitely not a ghost town on my end. I need to stay strong this weekend, so I'll be here! Hope the thread stays active like it did last weekend . Have a great day, everyone!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:07 AM
FitDay Member

Great job, Mike! I'm with Cassie... I think I'll have to make some of that fat-melting Rum Cake!!

I resisted temptation and didn't make my Beer Dip last night, but I really wanted something salty and "munchie" for the game.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not so sure that the rum cake will melt fat but you should make it. Unfortunately I'm still fat. Just much lighter than I was a month ago. I lost a lot of muscle mass. That's not to say that one day I won't be able to build back up.

Cassie, I've been so busy so I haven't been able to read many post. But how are you doing? Are we going to need to send you to the nut hut or are you back on track with your head up high?

Oh I think I may have been dehydrated (which is very odd for Mr. Gallon-A-Day) when I weighed myself b/c I had just cut the grass. So 169 by Monday may still be a challenge.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-27-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:57 AM
FitDay Member

Lizzie, that's great that your mum was out dancing and enjoy life at over 75 years of age. My mom considered herself "elderly" at age 52 when my father died. Sad, sad, sad!

Quinn, enjoy those ball games and congrats on your food Friday! So sorry for the burden you carry of taking care of your wheelchair bound Mom.

The following sounds like a "poor me" post, but it's not. I'm just stating another example of the effects of not taking care of oneself. My father-in-law was like that--harder for his kids to care for him because of the way he abused his body all those years, and he, too, bragged about being 86 and smoked ever since he was a teenager. In addition to emphysema, his smoking had caused gum disease and bone loss, resulting in the loss of all his teeth and dentures wouldn't stay in his mouth. We daughters and daughters-in-law who took turns cooking for him had to cook special meals of soft foods for him because he balked at eating regular meals like meat and veggies that were ground up or pureed. So we had to cook food he could just grind with his gums. But my kids hated eating all soft foods and so did I, so I also had to cook food the rest of us could chew.

Thanks, Quinn and Lizzie for your support. Nice to be able to talk to people who understand. My "best friend" says it's stupid to follow a diet to lower blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglycerides because it's all heredity and I'm going to die of dementia like my mom or cancer like my dad anyway. You'd think a best friend would be happy for me when I told her of my good blood test results. But I think here is where she's coming from: she had a cancer scare several months ago (turned out to be a benign tumor) and has high blood pressure, but has told her doctor that she refuses to quit her beer drinking or smoking because it's who she is. She actually DEFINED herself as a smoker and drinker. Maybe her attitude toward my attempt at a more healthy lifestyle and her attitude toward her doctor's advice to quit drinking and smoking is due to being in denial that an unhealthy lifestyle will impact your life in a bad way before you die of hereditary diseases. I know all about smoking and how hard it is to quit--I smoked for 30 years and quitting was one of the hardest things I ever did in my whole life. I'm not proud of having smoked all those years--a pack and a half a day for most of those years. I finally saw the light. If I could quit, anybody can.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:04 AM
FitDay Member

Mike and Cassie, thanks for your support as well. You guys are the greatest!

Mike, OMG! I hope your scale still says that on Monday. How FABULOUS! Keep up the good work!

Wishing everyone a really good weekend, happy and on track.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, that sucks about your FIL.

Here's my thoughts on smoking (warning: grabs pistol, holds at hip and fires away!)

I feel sorry for those people, way back when, that got hooked on cigarettes. There is no excuse for it these days. I mean, how many products have a warning label on it that says "This s#it will kill you"? Cigarettes do, so if you've started smoking after they had that label and now you are hooked, too bad. It's your fault. You should have never started. Hell even the warning said so.
It kills me when I see kids smoking. It's like, how effing dumb can you be? Okay, yeah that's going to make you look cool, WTFE! Yeah, that's going to make you look old? You look like a punk 16 year old that smokes, but keep it up, I guarantee you that you WILL look old! I love the "oh I can't quit smoking b/c I'll gain weight." Well keep smoking b/c I hear that cancer is a great weight loss program. It was for my mom, when bone cancer probably took her down to 80 pounds or so, right before it took her life, in a slow, miserable, painful death.

okay, that's all I have to say on that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.