Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread starting 08/15/2011 >

7 Day Motivational Thread starting 08/15/2011

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread starting 08/15/2011

Old 08-21-2011, 03:58 AM
FitDay Member

Amy, if you're like me, at age 65 you'll STILL be the last dog on the totem pole, only I call it "last on the list." But I think PART of that is because we allow it to happen because we want to be supermoms or supergrandmas. I often wonder if I have a subconscious martyr complex. We mothers/grandmothers have to be more pro-active in elevating our status. You'd better watch it or Willie will send you to the squeezing room for blueberry juice extraction! GD is going with me to the Y today on a guest pass, but she also has a monthly membership at Planet Fitness for only $10 per month for unlimited use. Oh, when you and Mike kicked my butt toward exercise the other day, I needed that--I had been slacking horribly with no valid escuses. Thanks for caring. Looking forward to a new start tomorrow and at the top of the list will be to exercise five days.

I have a framed picture postcard of The Beatles (from the 1960s) on my rolltop desk. Paul is still dreamy, even at his current age.

Cassie, I still wake up two or three times per night for a potty trip even if I hardly drink anything at all after dinner (small bladder) but it's really a treat to not wake up additional times from nerve damage pain. Sometimes I sleep 2 1/2 or 3 hours straight now which is great. Not being a martyr here, it really IS great. I rarely sleep more than 5 hours a night total, but I'm used to that. Great idea on the special shopping trip with the boy for breakfast and lunch options. My daughter is doing that with her daughter who moved in with us so it won't be a source of concern for me. She's not a picky eater--just eats some things that I don't buy and prefers the brands of yogurt, breakfast foods, soup, pasta sauce, and noodles to which she's accustomed. Perfectly fine with me. DD will be picking her up once a week for her grocery shopping trip.

Hope, wishing you a good night's sleep tonight or an opportunity for a nap today! I got busy on the computer early so ate brunch and it was delicious! Roast beef, avacado, spinach, and horseradish mustard on half a low carb tortilla, and a chocolate mocha flaxmeal muffin that my seven year old grandson thinks are chocolate cupcakes. I didn't lie--told him "it's a muffin but tastes like a cupcake." He wouldn't eat it if I told him its healthful. LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
My body hurts all over, but I know if there was a plate of pasta in front of me right now I would hork it back in a hot second.
LOL, Amy!

ChibiSub, that scale will start moving when it's ready. It really is aggravating when we reach a stall, though--I was stalled for over a month before I found that cutting out those sodium nitrites in processed food was the culprit. No hidden carbs or preservatives or anything like that in your foods, huh? Some foods such as flaxmeal, cinnamon, spicy foods, and added fiber help with speeding up metabolism. Or maybe the calorie adjustment will help, but 250 calories sounds like a big chunk all at once. I think I have a list of foods that speed up metabolism. If so, I'll post that. Even if it doesn't help you, it may help someone else.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

Foods to help speed up metabolism

whey protein powder
almonds
natural yogurt
green tea
spinach
eggs
turkey
chicken breast
peanut butter
extra virgin olive oil
very cold water (because your body must burn calories to heat it up)
vegetables, especially high fiber ones
flaxmeal for the fiber
salmon
cinnamon
spicy foods
fennel or tea made from fennel
Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Hope Maybe we could all get together for an intervention with your DD, while you go get some peace and quiet. Never had girls, but having been a right royal pain when i was a teenager maybe i could connect (not in a right hook kinda way, unless......).

Mern Your back problem seems pretty severe, yet you seem to carry on doing so much. I hope things are getting easier for you, you seem like such a genuine person.

Cassie Great idea on the shopping, wish i had thought of that when my boys were constantly moaning that we had nothing to eat in the house whilst standing at the door of a fairly well packed fridge.

Mike Great going with the 6 miler, sounds like you just took it in your stride.

My pin ups were the Monkees, Peter Tork was my favourite and I even knitted myself a little beanie hat like Mike Nesmith's and embrodiered all their names on it. Oh the innocence of those days.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

Mike...coming from someone who runs. You need to be properly fitted for shoes and wearing running socks like someone else posted. If I wore regular cotton socks, I always will get blisters. You have to buy ones specially made for running since they wick away the moisture and are not made of cotton. Adidas makes great ones. But go to a store like Fleet Feet, Dicks Pond, etc...not sure what's near you...and have someone get you in proper shoes. You don't realize what you're missing until you are in the right ones and then you'll wonder what took you so long to get there! Good luck!

I actually am going to get new shoes today and try them out on a run this afternoon. Ran three miles yesterday and want to get in another run tonight. Since I was sick for a week and didn't get a chance to work out until this past Thursday, I haven't lost any weight but haven't gained any either. So I think that's still a positive, even though I want to see the scale move. I am hoping that if I stick to a clean diet this week w/o any alcohol, which I had some last week, I'll see the numbers move.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks to Cassie and Amy for the willingness to take on DD but I wouldn't give up my girl for the world. And Lizzie, I hear where you're coming from because I was far worse as a teenager than my DD is. My father's curse on me is coming home to roost: actually he wished me 3 like me. I only have the one; I sometimes wonder if having 3 wouldn't have made it easier in ways, pulled the focus off her. What is keeping me up is WORRY plain and simple. (and fibro)

Amy, exercise does help but yeah I am too fatigued; it is a bad cycle. One I have to break. I loved your description of SIL's boots. What an eye for detail you have in your posts!

David and Shaun Cassidy were not my guys. I loved Rick Springfield, believe it or not. Now I look at him and shudder. I did not have my pop idols (Donny Osmond, anyone?) on the wall. I had a picture of Jimi Hendrix, complete with head scarf and guitar on one of my lavender walls, over my bed. My friend had a picture of Eric Clapton wearing a pair of sky blue Frye boots on her basement wall. I was drooling...over the boots. And to be honest, Clapton wasn't too bad either.

Mern and Mike, I hope your back pain goes away. Back pain sucks, especially chronic back pain. But uh I probably didn't have to tell you that. Good job on the walk, Mike. And Mern you are a force of nature and from what your posts indicate, a total sweetheart.

Last edited by canary52; 08-21-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 AM
FitDay Member

Lizzie, my back problem is not severe--just old. 34 years ago when my daughter was a baby I fell off a stepladder onto the rim of a metal water bucket. My doctor didn't order xrays--just said to stay off my feet until my backed healed. Well, it didn't heal right, but I learned to live with it and work around it. We used to have a great water bed, but when it sprung a leak my husband wanted an extra firm mattress, so he got that and I got a Lazy Boy Recliner. I still hear his snoring, though. LOL you're so sweet. It wasn't until I was in my late 40s that I finally learned to just try to be myself instead of the person I wanted people to think I am. They always find me out in the end if I fake it anyway.

I enjoyed the Monkees. They were my little sister's fave, especially Davy Jones.

Last edited by Mern; 08-21-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Ann, enjoy your new shoes and your run!

Hope, I see Rick Springfield on General Hospital occasionally and I think he's STILL hot. LOL Whether I'm a total sweetheart depends on who's doing the talking. Sometimes I'm a total b*tch. My DH would attest to that.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Almeeker, you may have a thought there. Given a number of things lately, I've lately been wondering if I'm gearing up for perimenopause. Although I can say that after eating a lot yesterday, the fatigue is gone. I may just be one of those people who can't get down to and sustain 1200 cals/day and feel good. Wish I knew how those of you who do it, do it.

Mern, had to laugh about the snoring. My DH was a champ but the sleep apnea diagnosis and machine fixed that right up. You are maybe the 3rd or 4th person who's said that sort of thing about the late 40's, so hopefully I have something to look forward to. You just sound so comfortable with who you are; I love it!

Hope, my wish is for you to let go of some of that worry so you can have some peace. Basically it boils down to asking yourself what you can control and what you can't, and letting go of the latter. Is meditating helping?

Chibisub, hang in there. Plateaus happen but they will be followed by a good healthy drop soon after. Just be patient. It will happen!

Ann, good thinking "aloud;" sounds like a plan. I definitely agree with you on the shoes. We have Big Peach Running Co. here in Georgia and it does make a big difference to have someone put you in what you need.

Lizzie, hope you are having a good day today. You and I, the recovery sisters, lol!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

Late 40's are awesome! My mom always told me that 40 would be the best year of my life and I was totally disappointed when it sucked. But now, I love the age that I am! Kids are off on their own, for the most part, I'm not rich, but I'm comfortable, and husband and I have lots of time to do what we want and not what the kids want or what we think we should do. We have no time schedule on weekends or evenings... it's great.

Yesterday, we went to 4 different small, quaint, little artsy towns (the kind kids would hate) and spent a few hours tasting wine at an incredible winery that I've always wanted to visit. The down side is that they also specialize in gourmet foods and I ate my way through the afternoon. (Had to clean my palette, right??) It's been a great weekend but I'm sure the scale will be punishing. I've kind of given up trying to lose until we get back on our fall routine.. just trying to keep the damage minimal.

Keep your head up, Cassie... I'll be joining you Monday to clean up my eating.

Have a great weekend, all!

quinn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.