Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread starting 07/11/2011 >

7 Day Motivational Thread starting 07/11/2011

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread starting 07/11/2011

Old 07-15-2011, 02:44 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mtlgirl

Quinn,Oh and how on Earth did you LOSE weight after 3 weeks of unhealthy choices?! All I can say is, "You got away with it, Girl so take it!"
I have absolutely no idea... I felt sooo lucky that I kept my food super clean today. All I can say is that I rarely get a chance to sit down until mid-evening any more and that's usually when we go walking. But, my food choices have been a disaster for the past few weeks. One night in particular, I picked up a loaf of soft, warm, fresh bread from the bakery and my husband and I ate 3/4 of the loaf in one sitting. That's HORRIBLE for me as I had gone about a year and a half without any bread.

OMG...I tried out an elliptical tonight (several, as a matter of fact) after reading all of the posts. (As a lot of you know, I'm terrible with gyms and equipment.) I must be the most uncoordinated person in the world! It took my husband to point out that I was going back wards, for one thing... (I'm blonde) And it felt a little funny with my SI joint, (the stance, side to side, was too far apart to be comfortable for that injury on some of them) so I better stick to my climbing and trail hiking. Thinking about buying a couple of kayaks to mess around with. (I'm a 5 minute walk from a river.) We'll see.

Tomorrow, I'm going shopping for a new pair of trail/running shoes. I've put it off long enough. Looking for ones with lots of cushioning. If anyone has any suggestions before morning, let me know. Taking a total "me" day tomorrow. It's been a long time!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:46 PM
FitDay Member

Cassie,
How was Harry Potter?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:51 PM
FitDay Member

Rose,
What an incredible week you had! Way to stay focused. I could learn a thing or two from you!
Old 07-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Were you really going backwards? That is too funny! The good thing is that you can get a workout in either direction.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Cassie,
How was Harry Potter?
It was quite good, though the books are always better. Out of necessity, it had to be cut down time-wise and some scenes I wished had been longer to "process" the emotion (I guess that's an occupational hazard ). But I enjoyed the time there with my boy.

Rykas are definitely the most comfortable shoes I've owned, and I've had cross trainers and running shoes from them. I had to go with a different brand after being fitted, though, since I learned I pronate, but definitely recommend the Rykas if they work for you. Enjoy your "me" day, Quinn; I know it's been a long time coming.

Joanna, I agree. Rose is a kick-butt-take-names superhero at this!

It ended up being a fair day today for me. My system's out of whack from the calorie swings, but I kept it below what I burned. Still not feeling good in my own skin, but tomorrow's another day. Let's all make it a good one .
Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 AM
FitDay Member

Joanna, Cassie, Quinn, thank you so much! I only had to go into work for half the week this week so it was definitely easier to stay focused and get more exercise done! I am definitely in a good phase right now - luckily! Since I was so baaaaad in New York last month, eating out every day and drinking frozen margaritas!

Quinn, it's actually okay to go backwards on the eliptical. I think some of the pre-programmed settings actually call for it. You're just working different muscles but you're still working it!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:49 AM
FitDay Member

Amy, THANK YOU so much! You are like my weight loss idol so I am totally blushing.
LOL, you're too sweet. Well it's probably good that I can be an idol somewhere, since it's not looking good for me to make it on American Idol, besides I think there is an age limit that I passed sometime back. I don't know why they would promote age discrimination, every one knows that women of a certain age can pull out any number of really good "bitch" hats and bring it. How stupid are they anyway?

As for the salmon, yes that is ginger on top. I don't even normally like salmon but marinating it in lemon and grilling it, makes it DELICIOUS.

Here is the recipe which I sort of just came up with one day:

Ingredients:
Salmon steaks
Pickled or fresh ginger, both work well
Lemon juice
Fleur de sel
Blend of dried herbs that are fish friendly, I bought one called "Poseiden's Catch" at a new spice store in the hood. I believe it contains dill, fennel seeds, coriander, garlic, and white pepper but you can definitely improvise on this part.
Toasted sesame oil

Just brush the salmon steaks with the sesame oil. I used one tbsp for 3 salmon steaks so it's too oily. Lay them in a pan, drench them with freshly squeezed lemon juice then sprinkle your dried herbs and fleur de sel, making sure it's pretty evenly distributed on both sides. Lay the ginger slices on top and then marinate for at least 4 hours. Grill them until they are nicely charred and crispy and the salmon is cooked well on the inside. Bon appetit!
Sounds yummy, but what in the dickens is fleur de sel?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
Went to the Y as promised. After 3 miles on the stationary bike and just half o'mile on the treadmill, I decided to try the elliptical for the first time. It was so much harder than I imagined---even set on level ONE. Maybe it's harder for me because of being only 5' tall? Or maybe the pedals and arm pumping thingies are adjustable? I didn't wonder about that until I got home. I found it very difficult to be able to do a full range of motion rep on the arm pumping thingies while taking such deep steps. Before I try it again I'll ask one of the Y workers whether depth of steps and range of arm motion are adjustable.
Ellipticals come in different stride lengths, 14, 16, 18, 20 and I think 21? Anyway the ones that I like best are almost always the 16 inch stride length. So I'm going to second that "try them all out" suggestion. My husband likes the 16 and the 18. The one we have at home is a 16. The handles actually increase the effectiveness of the workout by somewhere between 30-70%, according to the information I've read about them, anyway. You can reach a higher heart rate, faster by using them and pushing with your arms, thereby increasing your burn.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:01 AM
FitDay Member

I was sitting here trying to catch up on the thread, but I'm not going to manage it this morning. We're on our way to the fair in about 30 minutes, and I'll be there all next week. So good luck and big hugs to everyone.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Have fun and be careful of fair food !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.