Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread starting 07/11/2011 >

7 Day Motivational Thread starting 07/11/2011

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread starting 07/11/2011

Old 07-14-2011, 11:25 PM
FitDay Member

Default Confession Time

After reading the plights of some of our darling members who had less than shining moments this week and who are being really hard on themselves (I won't name names) it got me thinking. No matter how much or how little weight we have to lose or have lost, we are all the same. It's unbelievable to me when I see it in others. I can't comprehend why these amazing and inspiring ladies can feel so down on themselves for a natural slip-up?

I believe this weight loss journey like any other journey, or long endeavour will ebb and flow and that's just the way it is. It will never be a straight line from Point A to Point B and the sooner we accept that the better off we'll be.

In late March I weighed 173 pounds, which is 25 pounds lighter than my starting weight. I had had the toughest year of my life in 2010, caring for my dad who battled an impossible and fatal illness commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease. I gained over 20 pounds during the course of his 19-month battle, so did my mom and so did my sister. We ate too many cookies, muffins, cakes and pasta because it was comfort food and because the reality we were facing was pretty brutal. My dad died on March 25, 2010 and this year made it one year which is so hard to imagine because it is still so fresh in my heart and I still feel my dad's presence every single day of my life. I don't know if you all remember but I was supposed to go to Florida to be with my mom when that one-year anniversary rolled along. Sadly that was not meant to be. My precious pooch was viciously attacked and landed in intensive care for a week. Just like Quinn, during that week I was fine, I was on plan and as soon as he was out of the woods, I started to binge. Why???? I don't quite know but I do know that I stopped logging and frequenting FitDay and communicating with all of you. After Chico made it through the attack, I discovered a lump on his leg which turned out to be cancer so again, I was slipping in and out of control. Again I avoided FitDay. He made it through surgery and seems totally cancer free now. Yay!

In the 3 months that I was slipping in and out of control I gained 10 pounds! Yes I did. 10 whole pounds! I felt a ton of shame and my days were dark but I knew in the back of my mind that I would be back here and that I would get back on track. So here I am, while I have been doing really really well these past 3 weeks, I finally saw a mega drop on the scale and have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks. I still have 4 to go to get back to where I was but to all the forum members that are struggling, I hope you too, know that you will be back and this will one day just be a blip on your radar. As long as there is accountability and support, there is success and the road to it, is always always paved with bumps along the way.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

I only have time for a quick check-in, but thanks Main80 for birthday wishes and Happy 19th to Mike's DD!!!

Reading about the "girl issue" stuff, OH my goodness. I have a story about that y'all can tell your DDs -- the dangers of pets + sanitary products: (I put it in white below, as it's a somewhat graphic story!)

Had a friend who had a somewhat hyperactive dog, liked to get into things, particularly the trash. Her owner was pretty good about knowing what the dog liked and had tied a trash bag up high in the bathroom for the disposal of tampons and pads, where the dog couldn't reach. However, one night, very late, she forgot. The dog predictably got into the trash and swallowed a used tampon (entirely). The owner never noticed as there was no trace of the dog having gotten into the trash.

The rest of the week, she noticed that the dog wasn't eating, had been trying to vomit (but nothing came up) and also wasn't defecating (but was able to urinate). After three days of this she got really concerned and took the dog to the vet. Turns out the tampon had gotten lodged in her digestive tract and bloated up (from all the fluid) and the dog was dying due to the intestinal blockage. Needed surgery to get it out! The dog lived and recovered well (and actually, the doctors had apparently missed a piece, as the dog pooped out a small white chunk later), but that taught a scary lesson NEVER to leave those things where animals can get at them!! Tell that to your daughters -- they could have killed Mystie!!! It's a serious issue.

Rose: Thanks so much for putting your heart out there with the story. One thing I've noticed here is that we all seem to do well and slip up together, but the important part of that sentence is the word "together." You're right about me - I never had support before, and I will get through my mental stuff eventually.

Cassie: FWIW, I didn't think you stole the ice cream truck Maybe just... re-directed it?

Ok, I'm off to get the rental car!! HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND EVERYONE!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks, Rose.

I really enjoyed reading your post. It seems that no matter how totally different all of our lives are, and no matter where we live, the struggle is identical.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that binges after the stress ends. I thought I was really odd that way and I wish I knew the reason behind it. For me, it's probably a combination of knowing that I MUST stay focused during crisis because all kinds of people are depending on me and also that I am probably "treating myself" after wards for having gone through a rough patch. I had a friend like that who was an alcoholic. He was totally focused and in charge during a crisis, but would melt down shortly afterward. Luckily for me, food is my addiction and compared to some of the other ones, I'll take it.

NOW, getting on to my good news of the day... After my last 3 weeks of disastrous eating (unhealthy food choices, binging, very carb heavy, parties...) I decided that enough was enough and I HAD to screw my head back on straight before I went back to my old ways permanently (as usual). So, after 3 weeks, I decided to face the music, get on the scale, take my lumps and move on. To my shock, I was DOWN 1.5 lbs. from 3 weeks ago!!! WTH????? I can't figure that one out at all other than I've been extremely busy and rarely get a chance to sit down anymore. I'm not asking any questions. I just backed quietly away from the scale so that it wouldn't change it's mind... lol. I swear, it's like a gift from God... I've been given a second chance! If I can just exercise portion control with my cake and my Italian restaurant, I'm home free. (Have to find a polite way to tell my kids not to bring me mass quantities of Cheetos for my birthday. Or, maybe I can politely accept them and then quietly donate them to a children's summer program, or something...
Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

Happy Birthday, Terri!!!

Have a safe trip!

Last edited by quinnesec; 07-15-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

Happy Birfday Terri! That's a crazy story, that make you wonder people eat "Full Bars", lol
Old 07-15-2011, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

1) 2600 caps deficient for the week -1156, +527, -733, -414
2) 65g of carbs for 6 days (green veggies not logged) 64.8g, 314.2g, 46.1g, 98.9g
3) Daily:
Four servings of veggies (minimum) yes, no, no, yes
Fish oil yes, no, yes, yes
Drink a gallon of water yes, no, yes, yes
Post here everyday (even on "epidural Tuesday") yes, yes, yes, yes
Floss yes, no, yes, yes
4) workout 3 times no, no, no, no
Old 07-15-2011, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

Mike,

How have you been feeling since the epidural? Do you see a big difference?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Mike,

How have you been feeling since the epidural? Do you see a big difference?
Yep, the pain is gone but I'm still being cautious. I'm not doing any heaving lifting or running yet. I can't wait until I'm able to do those things but I'm pain free and that's a huge plus! Thanks for asking.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

MAIN80 "...but well, here's to honesty, right?" Ok, so you HONESTLY deserve major kudos for a 5 day calorie deficit of 2165! Ya got something to brag about, kiddo. Be proud of that accomplishment. Big hug to ya!

Joanna, please forgive me if I sometimes add a letter h to the end of your name just out of habit. A Joannah with an h is a close friend of mine. You are doing a MARVELOUS job this week. And look at that weight melting away! Keep it up!

Rose, I'm so sorry for your pain from losing your father. I can totally empathize with that--having lost my older sister in 2005. She went to the doctor in the morning for a severe backache and by late afternoon the very same day was informed that she had terminal cancer of the spine--lasted only two months battling it with all her might. The pain is still fresh but I am comforted by feeling her spirit around me every day. I hope to feel her spirit with me for the rest of my life. I'm so glad your dog is doing well now. Your weight regain story and subsequent reloss is truly inspirational. I love your attitude that one day times like the stuggle with weight loss and accountability will just be a blip on the radar. "As long as there is accountability and support, there is success and the road to it, is always always paved with bumps along the way." You are so wise, Rose!

OMG, Rose, that fennel recipe sounds so easy and so delicious. Grandma recipes usually are. I copied the recipe to my hard drive. I'll look for the almond meal bread crumb substitute or coconut flour soon. Thanks so much! Yum!

Terri, again wishing you a happy birthday in case you see this today. Thanks for sharing the story about the dog swallowing the tampon. I'm going to remember that one and will pass it along to my daughter and granddaughters who have cats. Your sharing could save a pets life! Aw, I hope you get lots of support that you need here. LOL on Cassie's "re-directing" the ice cream truck.

Quinn, it may have Mike who, a few weeks ago, commented to someone on our thread that sometimes our bodies benefit from an occasional binge in that it keeps the body guessing. I guess when we give up the extra calories or carbs all of a sudden, it'll perceive even simply more normal levels as a nice calorie deficit and so will reward us with more pleasing numbers on the scale. Kudos to you! I'm so happy for you that the regain is melting away so quickly! Oh, yeah, your birthday (29th again, right? LOL) is just around the corner!

Mike, those "full bars" sound kinda scary to me. I wouldn't want something expanding in my stomach like that. You're doing great this week. Do you feel, see, or experience any difference eating lower carb six days a week? So nice to read that you're pain free right now. So wise to avoid the exercise until you get word from your doc it's ok-and be sure to add it back slowly if that's what he/she advises.

Last edited by Mern; 07-15-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, according to my release papers I can return to my normal lifestyle after 3 days but I think my normal probably isn't normal so I'd give it a few more days. The last thing I need is another setup.

As far as low carb, yesterday was a slip but usually I can notice a difference as I'll look less bloated. The down side seems to be that my muscle look more flat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.