Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Old 06-05-2011, 10:01 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, I have to admit I uttered a giggle over your statement "I also know that bitching about women, in the Women's Only Corner will get me nowhere." LOL Actually, I totally understand where you're coming from. The opposite is true in my house. I am upfront about my feelings and let DH know when something he has done is bothering me or if it's something else that's bothering me--he never has to guess what's wrong. I never have a problem figuring out what's bothering me, so if he asks, I answer. And he is the one who does the word twisting. Just want you to know that there ARE women who understand where you're coming from. I'm glad you feel better after Cassie and mhibdon responded.

Cassie, geez, the only days you went over in calories were really teeny overages! Congrats to ya! And did I read it right that you exercised anyway yesterday even after being so tired? Wow, my hat is off to you, lady! Aw, so sorry 'bout your sleep deprivation! I hope you can find a way to get your journaling in since it's so important to you. Wishing you a really great new week. Yes, I've had calories to spare all week, so I'm sure I can afford the nuts. I weigh mine on the scale and have no problem with portion control on unsalted almonds. Yeah, I can't give up my Naturally More peanut butter. It's really creamy--thinner than most peanut butters, but I really love that about it. You need to mix in the oil on top when you first open it. I've never tried the Smart Balance. I have some called Earth Balance that I don't like very well--too stiff for my liking and not very fresh tasting in my opinion, but others may like it just fine. I also wish nutrition labels would break down soluble and insoluble fiber. Aw, you're so sweet with your support. "CHARGE!" LOL That's how I felt. I often get hungry just from sitting. I think for me, though, it's the need to DO something besides sit. Good that you had the salad with chicken. That "crack mix" is really funny to me, as is "crack bark." LOL Really great that you had a sensible dinner and finished the day close to goal. I know we need the exercise, but sometimes life really does get in the way of our best laid plans.

Our birthday cookout for our son was really nice. DH cooked out but we ate inside because it was so darned hot and humid. Played it smart and bought some Carb Smart low carb ice cream yesterday and stuck to the 1/2 cup portion. It had 3.5g sat fat, but kept me from eating birthday cake and regular ice cream, so I'm happy I thought of that.

Quinn, on average you did really well this week, though. So you still deserve a pat on the back. And great job on the exercise, logging, vitamins, etc.!

Last edited by Mern; 06-05-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Hi Mike,
I had already logged off, but in thinking about your question decided to log right back in. One thing you might consider is changing the question. When we were dating, my husband used to ask me that question when I seemed down or quieter than normal, and to tell you the truth I never really knew how to answer it - still don't - because as your GF says, nothing is "wrong". I might be: 1. tired, 2. angry at a coworking, 3. worried about a family member, 4. planning a fabulous dinner, 5. editing a poem in my head, 6. writing the next top 40 hit in my head (well that wasn't really true for me, but maybe some one else), 6. sore from working out, 7. just feeling crabby for no particular reason, 8. worried about a health issue, 9. stewing over a credit card charge. or 10. I might, indeed, be furious with you. But nothing is exactly "wrong".

So one thing you might do is ask a more direct question like, "How was work?" "Is that bi**h Brenda still around?" "How's your momma". Or if you really do have reason to believe that she's angry or just annoyed with you... ask. "Hey what bone-headed thing did I do?"

Just a thought. Guys often tend to ask more open ended questions like "what's wrong?" and gals will often pry a little more like "hey, did you finally tell your co-worker where to go next time she dump her work on you?" Sometimes we just need to figure out how to meet in the middle
Thanks Pam. I know something is wrong when she plays the quiet game and gives you the evil eye. But she does the same thing with the kids so I have no clue who she's pissed with. I understand what you are saying about nothing exactly is wrong, but an "I just have a lot going on right now.", "Brenda was being a bitch.", "My mom's a bitch.", "You were being a d!<#" would suffice. I've tried prying in the past as you suggested and I'd usually get "What's this going to be... 20 questions?!?!". I do ask her how her day went and how work was. Why would she twist and turn what I do and say? That's what I really don't get.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, thanks for the support. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that deals with this.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, I always take it for granted when DH twists and turns what I say that either I got too close to the truth or that he knows deep down he's being an a$$, so he has to PRETEND I was saying something I wasn't saying. I figure unless he's totally nuts, there's no way he could REALLY think that's what I said. I'm not into that kind of game playing, so when he gets like that I say "never mind" and go on about my day. That's not advice--I think these things are better worked out, but after 40 years of marriage, I've given up trying, believing DH wants to keep handling stuff the same, tired old way. I often wonder if it's something carried over from his childhood or from his first marriage--maybe something of a matter of trust or rather, mistrust--but it surely isn't necessary at his age of 71 and in THIS marriage to be that insecure.

In any case, Cassie knows way more about this stuff than I do--her advice sounded great to me.

Last edited by Mern; 06-05-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that the way she twists and turns things is learned behavior. It might have been the way her mom dealt with her dad or something she learned as a "survival mechanism" in getting her through a previous relationship. Sometimes it's just a control thing. It's not you...but it can be frustrating.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that the way she twists and turns things is learned behavior. It might have been the way her mom dealt with her dad or something she learned as a "survival mechanism" in getting her through a previous relationship. Sometimes it's just a control thing. It's not you...but it can be frustrating.
I didn't think of it as a control thing, maybe it is. It's nothing major it's always simple stuff but it starting to piss me off. It may be something like:
GF "hey, do you want to go to the store with me?"
me "yeah, okay."
GF "well you don't have to go if you don't want to!"

Simple stuff like that. I could understand if I said "I guess... if you want me to I will" but she acts like that's what she hears.

Back on topic... how's everyone doing this weekend? I decided not to log my food today, but I haven't eaten a lot.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 06-05-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 PM
FitDay Member

I'm feeling great, Mike. Happy with this week's various food goals results, even though there's a lot of room for improvement. But that will come with more experience with my new low carb, low sat fat diet. I'm armed with better ideas now. Tomorrow I start taking care of my 9 and almost 7 year old grandkids for the summer weekdays while my daughter is at work. My teenage granddaughters may also come some days, which means sharing my computer with MORE people. Also will be offline more while I work on keeping reading skills elevated for the younger grandkids.

Are you looking forward to starting a fresh, new week?

Last edited by Mern; 06-05-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 PM
FitDay Member

Mike,

Um... I got nothin'.

I'm probably different than most women in that I wear my emotions on my sleeve... No one has to ask me what's wrong, because they know. Luckily, I'm very happy 95% of the time. In our house, we are very close and extremely open with each other, daughter included. So, if someone is being a jerk, we simply say, "Why are you being a jerk?" lol Or, if someone seems sad, we do something totally insane to make them laugh. Usually, we don't ask what's wrong, but in the course of trying to get them to laugh, the truth almost always tumbles out.

Actually, right now, I'm on my deck on a warm, gorgeous night with white lights, a few large candles and a glass of Lambrusco. Life doesn't get much better. I should be logging my food, but it may have to wait until morning.

Just got back from a 3 mile walk, calories were pretty clean, and so I just may give myself a pass until Monday. Then it's back to business.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quinn, I'm jealous of your relaxing evening! It sounds lovely.

Between the tourney and the household chores (hubby usually picks up the slack, but he's really sick and sleeping most of the time), I totally did not have a weekend. Wrapping up my work and billing tonight at 11, my printer crashed. That was the last straw; I had just gotten myself off the treadmill and was tired and really didn't want to be up all night. Anyway, I admit it, I started to stress eat; I got into the crack mix and had a serving of frozen yogurt also. The good news is that I put the brakes on before it got really out of hand; it was bad but it could've been much worse.

Tomorrow will be a very busy day, so we'll see how it goes. Hope y'all enjoyed your weekends!

My check in:

1. Limit calories to 1200* (average). 1184, 1208, 1196, 1220-forgot to log a piece of fruit early in the day, 1198, 1288-I tried, 1586
2. Exercise in some form or fashion 7 times. Weights, Cardio tennis, Cardio tennis, weights, stationary bike, weights (3/4 of usual routine), stationary bike & inclines on treadmill
3. Drink 64 oz. water daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Good grief, yes! Yes
4. Sleep 7 hours daily. 6.5, 6.5 (planned on more, but hubby was NOT packing quietly this morning!), No-no excuse, Yes!!! Nooo, 5-this is pitiful, Yes
5. Take all vitamins & supplements. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Vitamins, yes, calcium no, Yes
6. 5 fruits & veggies per day. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
7. Journal; I've got to figure out why I keep slipping! Yes, Yes, No-out all day; too tired now, No-completely forgot, No-no time; too busy, No-ditto, No-ditto
8. Log everything. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

9. Work on the Mom Cave. Yes, Not today, Not on the agenda today, Nothing more I can do right now
10. Catch up billing. Not today, Worked on it, Not today, Not today, No and I need to do this, No, Yes
11. Begin organizing photos. Not today
12. Smile more, bitch less . I wish; bad mood all day Yes, Pretty much, Yes! Pretty much, Yes Oh, heck no!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:08 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Follow up

I guess at some point age has to play into it.

At 25, it is just a maturity thing to not really know how to relay ones feelings to some one we are close to. With time we are suppose to learn how to speak to our needs and our feelings.

At 35 it is more of a control thing to not relay how we are feeling. I mean really. I know exactly what I am feeling, but by keeping that from you I maintain some kind of power over the relationship. But maybe it is back to a maturity thing. Even though one is 35 we haven't grown beyond 25.

At 45, now it is just plain vindictive . "You should know by now how I feel, and if you don't....well now you will pay"

The lord never said people were simple! Even simple people are complicated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.