Notices

Rope Jumping

Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

Question Rope Jumping

Does anyone here do rope jumping as an exercise?
I've totally fallen off the wagon, and I think it's because I'm so bored with repetitive boring exercise workouts..I need fun! I heard jumping rope can actually burn a lot of calories, but it also helps to get the body in seriously good shape, thus why boxers use it for training...

,Anyone jump rope? What's your experience?

Think I've finally created ways to exercise which will be more fun ..bellydance, jump rope, and speed walking. =)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM
FitDay Member

Oh my goodness. I've just last week started bootcamp-style training twice a week, and yesterday they had us doing it. I hadn't used them since high school (about 6 years ago), and I was hopeless... so slow at it, but I could totally feel it. We alternated excersizes, this is how it went for me (the fit guys had to do more reps):

40 skips
4 pushups
4 sit ups
30 skips
3 pushups
3 sit ups

and so on.

The fit guys also did burpies (we call them grunts here in Aussieland apparently) with the pushups / sit ups.

Yeah, I can feel it this morning for sure!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 AM
FitDay Member

Yes, I jump rope, it's a killer workout. When I was a kid I could jump rope for the entire length of a recess X3, now I can only go about 2 minutes before I catch it on my foot or head. But I keep doing it. When I first added it to my workout, I could only make 10-12 jumps at a time and only go for about 60 seconds total. I also skip on the EA Active 2 workout every morning, only minus an actual rope, instead I hold light hand weights and pretend they are the rope handles.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM
FitDay Member

Talking

Thank you both for your replies! =)

Wowgirl, that sounds like a fantastic regime! Do you just continue the reps over and over again as you have them listed? How many do you do? I'd like to try that! I also wanted to ask, What are burpies?

Almeeker, I remember doing the double jump ropes with friends when I was a kid, and absolutely loving them, but I never imagined that jump rope was also a good exercise till the other day. I guess it never clicked when watching any Boxing film like Rocky lol I have to wait till the snow melts here, but I'm totally excited. I can't do it in my apartment bc I'm on the 4th floor and downstairs neighbors won't appreciate the repetative thumps ^_^

Thanks Much Ladies!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM
FitDay Member

Well I started at the 40 skips (4 push/sit ups), then went down to 30, 20, 10, then up to 20, then 30 back to 40 with the push/sit ups in between for whatever rep count I was on.
Basically we did it until we were told to stop, or until we (only me really lol) couldn't do it anymore. (it was only a small part of a one hour boot camp session).
As for burpies, I can't really remember what they looked like (I tried to do one and couldn't yet), think it's kinda like start in push up position, then go up into a jump, then down again. A few other memebers have mentioned them, so one of them can jump in if I'm wrong. :P
Old 03-17-2011, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for sharing Wowgirl! I really needed a routine to follow otherwise I just kinda improv which leads to eventual laziness on my part. So this sounds like a good regime. ^_^ Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

It needs ot be fun for you or you won't stick with it! Good for you looking for things you like!
I do rebounding, which is jumping on a mini tramp. It's really fun, and easier on the body. It makes me feel like a kid again. I do lots of different things like jump rope (the motions), jumping jacks, jumping twists, etc.
Try it! You'll like it!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Green! I didn't realize that jumping on the small trampoline was called rebounding. After my second daughter I bought one, and I would spend about an hour a night bouncing on the thing to music lol I absolutely LOVED it, made me feel like a kid for sure, and was much easier on my knees. I bought it because the impact of jogging hurt my knees and I thought the trampoline would absorb the shock better, which it did. I wish I could get one here, but I can't till I go back to the USA. I live on the 4th floor, so any bouncing or jumping would disturb the downstairs, as is, jump roping is done outside.

I get more excited thinking about returning to the USA simply because of certain activities I use to miss for weight loss ^_^