Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/21/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/21/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/21/11

Old 02-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
15. Register for race and call SIL about same.
what race are you going to do?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
Terri, I highly encourage you to take your measurements and take photos along the way. I was in the exact same boat... exercising, eating right, and the damn scale was not cooperating but I took my measurements and during a one month period I lost a whopping 3 inches off my waist and had only lost 3 pounds on the scale. I also took pictures. The before and after did not look like a 3-pound loss but more like a 10-pound loss. Just keep doing what you are doing! Don't give up and the results will please you.
Thanks very much, Rose I have my "starting photo" (ugh!) and my plan was to take another once I got under 200 (which would be 15 lbs. lost). I did take my measurements last Wednesday once I finally found my cloth tape. I think what I'll do is take a photo EITHER when I hit under 200 OR on March 4th (two months into change) -- whichever comes first -- and try to do a comparison then. I also plan to take my measurements every month. It'll be another number to shoot for! I'm also hoping that as this week goes on the scale will be kinder
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 AM
FitDay Member

Goals for this week
Calorie limit 1600
Carbs less fiber limit 25g
Protein minimum of 110g

Water 64 oz.

Exercise: walk to build up my stamina. Add distance daily depending on level of lower back pain from walking.

Add a different type of exercise to burn more calories if weight loss slows.

Backtracked on my walking today. Raining outside so I walked in the house. Don't know what made the difference--could be the steps in the sunken living room which I went up and down every 30 seconds or so making a loop from the living room to the kitchen and back. Got to a lower back pain level of ten which required me to sit down and rest. Went from .77 miles non-stop yesterday to .64 miles today. But I'm proud of myself for the honest effort to do as much as I could--that's what matters. Tomorrow is another day...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
FitDay Member

I watched a show last night about a woman who weighed 600 lbs. She wanted to get to 500 lbs. in order to qualify for weight reduction surgery. She was so large that she was actually bedridden.

Her doctor put her on a 700 calorie/day diet. After 2 weeks, she lost something like 35 lbs. Around this time, she started to hate her new "diet foods" so she would eat the entire days food, 700 calories, all at one sitting just to get it over with.

After 2 more weeks, her doctor returned to weigh her and found that she had actually gained 3 lbs.!!! He explained that by eating once daily, her body had entered "conservation mode" and her metabolism had slowed greatly. Being bedridden, she actually gained.

Which made me think of my eating patterns compared to those of my husband's. I am a strict disciplinarian. I eat three meals a day and when supper is over, I am done eating until morning.

He, on the other hand, "grazes" all day long... an apple here, a yogurt there... and he loses twice as fast as I do.

I know we've talked a lot about "starvation mode", but this really made me think. I also realize that part of it is also the whole "male/female thing" as well.

How do you delegate your calories? Are you a "disciplinarian" or a "grazer"?
I think I'm going to try spreading out my 1200 calories out over the 17 or so hours that I'm awake and see what happens.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
what race are you going to do?
Looking at doing the Old Kent River Bank Run in May.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by taubele
Exercise: walk to build up my stamina. Add distance daily depending on level of lower back pain from walking.

But I'm proud of myself for the honest effort to do as much as I could--that's what matters. Tomorrow is another day...
were you one of the ones that I talked to about mapmyrun? Tomorrow is a NEW day!

Originally Posted by quinnesec
I watched a show last night about a woman who weighed 600 lbs. She wanted to get to 500 lbs. in order to qualify for weight reduction surgery. She was so large that she was actually bedridden.

Her doctor put her on a 700 calorie/day diet. After 2 weeks, she lost something like 35 lbs. Around this time, she started to hate her new "diet foods" so she would eat the entire days food, 700 calories, all at one sitting just to get it over with.

After 2 more weeks, her doctor returned to weigh her and found that she had actually gained 3 lbs.!!! He explained that by eating once daily, her body had entered "conservation mode" and her metabolism had slowed greatly. Being bedridden, she actually gained.

Which made me think of my eating patterns compared to those of my husband's. I am a strict disciplinarian. I eat three meals a day and when supper is over, I am done eating until morning.

He, on the other hand, "grazes" all day long... an apple here, a yogurt there... and he loses twice as fast as I do.

I know we've talked a lot about "starvation mode", but this really made me think. I also realize that part of it is also the whole "male/female thing" as well.

How do you delegate your calories? Are you a "disciplinarian" or a "grazer"?
I think I'm going to try spreading out my 1200 calories out over the 17 or so hours that I'm awake and see what happens.
I wonder if she truly stock to her 700 cals, I would seriosuly doubt that since she gained weight. I try to eat 6 times a day, 3 meals and 3 snacks. I also break up my food log to show different meals instead of it all being jumbled together.

Originally Posted by almeeker
doing the Old Kent River Bank Run in May.
I fixed your post! Did you noticed my #2 goal.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

First of all thank you Cassie for directing me here, not sure I am ready for weekly goals as I find it such a chore just to get through one day at a time, but I will try.

1. Drink at least some water every day, this will be my biggest challenge
2. Keep my food journal every day and stay in my calorie range
3. Keep myself accountable by posting here
4. Walk somewhere instead of drive at least a couple of times this week(hope the weather improves a little)

Other:
Finish scraping all the old peeling paint in the downstairs shower and repaint so the boy can have thier own shower and stay out of mine.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quinn...I saw the same show! I think my mouth hung open in disbelief for most of it. What struck me was her degree of denial and naivete; she actually thought she was going to lose about 80 pounds in a week or two, so she could have the surgery and make it all better. I guess that illustrates how so many folks are just looking for the magic pill, band, cream, supplement, shake weight, etc.

Everyone here knows it takes hard work and denying short term gratification for long term benefits. And look at the pounds we are losing. Keep it simple.

As for your question, and it's a good one and I'd love to know what people do, I probably do everything wrong, but it works so I'm sticking with it. I'm not a morning person so I eat a small breakfast, about 200-260 calories (including the tea with milk and sugar). I usually have about 300 calories for lunch and a 100-calorie or therabouts snack before dinner. I keep dinner between 400-500 calories, but I am a big evening muncher, so I usually have 2-3 small snacks (veggies, fruit, nuts, sometimes crackers, peanut butter, cheese, or popcorn), usually trying to fill out wherever my pie is deficient. Though some days it ends up being more like grazing, depending on my schedule and what kind of foods I'm hungry for (like a yogurt here, some nuts an hour later, etc.). If I'm in maintenance, I can pad a little more in there, but it's more the grazing than the bigger meals.

My personal take on the conservation business is that it is true...and not, another individual difference. I personally experience it, whereas others on this site whom I trust to take at their word, don't. So once again, it comes down to my favorite phrase, "Find out what works for you!"
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default this week

this week would like to stop blowing my nose
stay with my food count
would like to go back to the gym( can't till I get over this cold)
going to dye my hair and get it cut this week ( I hope )
have to get the kids trip to Disnyland done or no one will have a place to sleep
I am sure there is more stuff to do but don't want to over do it and have a set back
Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie,

I can't believe you saw the same show! When it was over, I thought why am I killing myself to get these last 3-4 lbs. off?! lol I didn't see the very beginning, but I'd like to. I was just flipping through the channels and my jaw fell open, too!

Last edited by quinnesec; 02-21-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.