Notices

Stuck on a plateau club - join me

Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Sandi,
Welcome to the forums. Sometimes you just need to jump into a discussion and see where it take you. There have been several that I have started that went nowhere, and others that took off. Sometimes a topic really resonates with folks at a particular time and doesn't at another time - who knows why. For example last year we had quite a runners thread going in the exercise section, but this year nadda.

You know... my word to the wise about starting a new exercise program is that there is no time like the present! I have heard lots of women say that they didn't want to start an aerobics class, or a yoga class, or sign up for a fitness program until they had lost weight, and you know what? They never sign up 'cuz they don't lose the weight.

Hey watta ya think an exercise program is for .

My Crossfit gym has folks at all levels of fitness and in all sizes and shapes. The coaches are wonderful at adapting the workout of the day for the skill levels of the atheletes. And they seem to take special pride in coaching someone who can barely lift 5lb weight when they start, to hoisting a 35lb barbell over their head. Their job is to help you succeed. Your job is to show up and put in the effort.

By the way, when a thread goes off topic like this it is a called hijacking - and I am famous for it . But I'm not sure if you can hijack your own thread

Pam
Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Pam, I am also Pam.

I have been on this plateau since before Thanksgiving. Like someone else said, at least I havent gained any back, but I am not losing any either

I cant even pretend it is just my body adding muscle since I have been in a deep funk and havent done any exercize at all.

I am not sure where all my mental motivation went but it definately went and I cant seem to find it/get it back.

I am hoping that if I just continue to eat like I know I should be, and Spring draws near, my motivation will pop up like those 1st flowers of Spring.

Good luck to all stuck in hell!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
By the way, when a thread goes off topic like this it is a called hijacking - and I am famous for it . But I'm not sure if you can hijack your own thread
LOL, I dunno if you can hijack your own thread. I'm famous for hijacking too, never have been diagnosed ADD, but I'm very easily distracted - oh look a chicken...
Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Pam,
This winter seems to have gotten everyone down. All I can say is that Spring is on the way, hang on there girl! You've done so well and the holidays were just a pause in the plans. I'm sure you'll be back on a "losing streak" soon.

Any chance of at least getting a few walks in? I remember years ago someone told me that the only thing to do on a rainy day was to put on a raincoat and get out in it. If you stay inside wishing for sunny weather you just get bummed out. And you, whoever it was that told me that, was right. It works for cold and snowy weather too. (Up to point... anything below 0 I just can't dress warmly enough for, brrrrr).

Thanks for checking in!

Pam
Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
almeeker,
I am so impressed that you even try to keep up with your wonderful, creative cooking and baking activities. I loved your stories about gingerbread houses over the holidays and how since you weren't particularly fond of gingerbread it wasn't much of a temptation. But chocolate - that's really unfair .

You know, it really doesn't matter what I'm doing, that 3 to 4:00 PM time has always been difficult for me. Often I'm not really hungry, but a little bored with day, tired of work, but it's not yet time to settle into evening activities. In winter as the sun is starting to set I get a little bluesy. Sometimes, if I can get through it, I'll get a little burst of energy that will take me through till 6 or 7, but mostly I have to fight the urge to snack and/or nap .
Yes chocolate is a problem. Gingerbread I can have a little piece here and there and I'm okay with it, love the smell of it baking but it doesn't make me ravenous. Chocolate binges tend to escalate exponentially, one piece leads to 10 or 12. The other bad part for me is that when I get a craving for it, I want something very specific, and unfortunately right now I have allllll the ingredients on hand and events/people to make them for and well I wouldn't offer you something special that I hadn't taste tested myself right? And when I make confections, they don't all turn out perfectly either, so those are rather easy to eat as well. It snowballs and it's gotten ugly, thankfully I haven't gained anything, which for me this time of year is one for the win column. Thankfully I haven't whipped up any truffles or rum balls.

I one time read a study about the afternoon "dip" (although they called it something else). There is a formula to figure out when your body hits it. I want to say it's exactly between the hour you wake and the hour you go to bed, for me that's about 2:00pm, this is the point in the day where your body is gearing up for fasting/sleeping/etc so there is actually a chemical reaction you're responding to. It has something to do with the cortisone levels etc etc. Anyway like clockwork it hits me like 2:00-2:30 and I fight it well enough until 3:30-4:00, but once the kids get home and commence snacking, I have trouble.

Last edited by almeeker; 02-13-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

I was thinking of starting a new threat, however this post is on the Plateau topic so I'll do it here.

I have been losing differently this time around. I will go ten days where I lose fast then 7 -10 days with no loss and even a pound or 2 gain - then off it goes again. I've hit my 3rd cycle of a no loss week. My average is almost 2 pounds off a week for the 6 weeks I've been at it. It's just hard to deal with the no loss weeks. My calorie count and activities have been fairly consistant.

I'm a scales addict. At least this time I've stuck with it through the no reward phases and recognized this pattern. I am going to start entering the gains so I can keep better track of it and see if the mini plateaus occur at the smae pace and last the same length of time. Hopefully that will make them easier to handle. I hope this one ends before my "official" weigh in day tomorrow.

Mary
Old 02-14-2011, 04:26 AM
FitDay Member

I just started Fitday a month ago, lost 6 lbs pretty quickly and felt so proud of myself. Now seems to be slowing down....am trying to get myself motivated again. Haven't really tried tracking carbs etc, had just cut down on total calories and also started Jazzercise. Maybe I need to switch gears and do something different with my diet? Any ideas?
I normally eat oatmeal with milk for breakfast, have a regular 300-400 calorie lunch of pasta/rice/sandwich and a yogurt, then have some veggies for dinner, always making sure I don't exceed my limit (except on two occasions of eating out!).
Thanks for all your ideas and encouragement!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:49 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Alka

Are you getting enough protein? I find journaling my food intake and activity very helpful. Then you can look at your nutritional balance. Sticking with it works. I know how hard it is to stay motivated when the losing goes on hold for a while. Having a food plan you can live with -- treating this like a life style change - not a diet helps. Hope the weight starts coming off again soon.

Make sure you check for other changes -- loose clothing or looking better in your clothes or feeling better. I'm a scales adict and like to see the numbers going down but getting into some of my smaller clothes is rewarding too.

Mary
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the reply, Mary. No, I guess I haven't added protein to my diet. It's mostly carbs right now. Yes, I should make that change and see if it helps...
Old 02-15-2011, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

I'm on a plateau as well. I was all excited because I lost five pounds right off, but I am now about a month in and not losing anything at all. Some days, I've even gained!

I'm a life-long excerciser, so I know clinically I shouldn't be so concerned with the number, but it definitely is playing tricks with my mind.

My clothes alternate between tightish and nicely loose, which I think is water weight and muscle building at present...but man, I'd like to push past this plateau and move on! I've stepped up my workouts some, but there's only so much more I can actually do, with a full time job and mommy duties. I do think I look better and my energy is better most of the time. But gah! It sucks to work out for an hour a day, four or five days a week, plus a long run on weekends, and see no change on that stupid scale! (

Thanks for starting this thread - it feels great to say something about this to someone who gets it!! DH is all "You look great, like always". Not the point!!!! I wanna meet my goals!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.