Community
Notices

Stuck on a plateau club - join me

Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Pam - First of all, congrats on the size four! I was like O_O reading your post, because I'm also 5'4"-ish, and my weight goal is somewhere between 120 and 140 (whatever feels good and comfy to maintain). Seeing you say that 128 was a size 4 -- holy moly, I have NEVER been a size four. I remember very distinctly being a size 7 in a Halloween costume --- in 7th grade!

The thought that being of a similar height and weight as you could even put me anywhere NEAR a size four makes my brain hurt!

Now, I'm a curvy girl (thanks grandma!), so size four might never be feasible, but even getting close to that is a WOW, what a motivator!

As much numbers-obsessed as I am, I keep telling myself that once I hit my "goal weight threshold" which is 140, I'll take a good long look at myself to see what I want. If I want to be leaner and meaner, I'll go for it. If I feel perfect at 140, I'll stop. If I feel like I want to try 130 or 120 on for size, I'll try it. If I just want to focus on strengthening, I'll do that and let the numbers fall where they may (within reason ) I think cj said it wonderfully -- goals morph and change, and you gotta go with the flow and be in-tune with yourself and what you really want.

That might change, and you gotta be cool with it. You're the only one who knows if you're plateau-ing or not!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

I was on a plateau since mid-January and was able to break it by spreading out my calories more evenly throughout the day. (Eating something small throughout the day, rather than 3 meals.) Give it a try.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:15 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default size vs pounds

First off... congrats Quinn! Sometimes just changing things up a bit helps - well done in grazing with a purpose . I think I may be off the plateau too as my body has finally gotten used to the new exercise routine. Hooray for shear dogged perserverence!

But what I really want to respond to was taubele's comments about size. You know, when I first decided that it was time to get a little thinner I was 170lbs, and a size 10-12. I really wasn't all that unhappy with my size (at the time) I just wanted to be a better athelete. When I met with the diet Doc, my goal was to lose 30lbs and be a size 8. I really didn't have much comprehension of how sizes related to pounds.

After losing the first 5 lbs diet Doc asked if I had dropped a size. Wow, thought I, it only takes 5lbs???? For me it was actually 10 lbs before I was an 8. But all of a sudden I had a new image of me - and I kinda liked it .

In truth, I reached my goal of 30 lbs (140) which was a size 6 in 3.5 months. Lost a few more over the summer and pretty much held there for a half a year of so while I was making exactly the assessment you talk about. The kinds of thought exercises Cassie and others mentioned - am I comfortable at this weight? If not, why not? Am I trying to make up for something else? etc, etc, etc. Ultimately I decided why not? Let's get into the 120's and get body fat closer to 20%.

Now, I've always had a pretty compact little body, and I am quite active (did the screen name give it away?) but I have a feeling, my dear taubele, that size 8, 6 or even 4 is well within your grasp. But as we all know, it really isn't the number that is important, it is how you feel. So I love you plan to hit the goal, give yourself lots of kudos for your success, spend some time figureing out how to maintain in your new svelt body, and then see where you are mentally and physically.

I gotta a feeling, in a few months, you will be writing this post!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:33 AM
FitDay Member

I just have to say this week, that time of the month I was happy that I did not gain any weight. The funny thing is I was sick for a week and did not exercise at all three days last week. Maybe I just needed the rest. I have been cycling at around 149-152, exercise at least 1-1 and half hours. I am at 149 so I am hoping this plateau has finally ended. Although I reached my first goal of 150, (I am 5'3" with medium build) I wanted to get down to 140. I am a size 12 and reading the above posts I am a bit envious. A size four I think might be a little bit out of reach but I would love to be at most a size 9-10. One more size just is going to take a little more effort. I plan on sticking to my plan and hopefully will see results soon. Good luck to all of you fellow plateauers, we will get there soon enough.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM
FitDay Member

I actually stuck in plateau but didn't know. Finally I try something new. I actually doing Atkin for 2 weeks which limit my carbs for 20g a day. Today is day 6 and I loss 2.6 pounds. I am happy and it give me motivation. I think I can get my goal.
Mai
Old 02-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

I know I could never follow the carb restriction of Atkins, but I agree that when in a plateau, changing your usual ratio is a good way to snap your body out of it. The body gets used to what you do and changing anything (including exercise) sometimes wakes it up and breaks the plateau. Thanks, Mai, for reminding me of that.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:14 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Climbing off the plateau

'Morning all,
Well, I thought I was seeing the signs of it last week, but I've been fooled before. But the weigh-in this morning was a strong indication that the plateau is over. Can't say that I really changed anything up the way others have, although I am back at the mountain house over the weekend, so back to the land of ice and snow (I usually reside in sunny Southern Calif).

For me it was sheer presistence - I just refused to give up, or in!

So, don't you guys give up or in either. You are the boss. Just stick with it, change things up if that seems in order. As many have said: Staying the same weight sure beats gaining weight!

Pam
Old 02-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
You know, when I first decided that it was time to get a little thinner I was 170lbs, and a size 10-12. I really wasn't all that unhappy with my size (at the time) I just wanted to be a better athelete. When I met with the diet Doc, my goal was to lose 30lbs and be a size 8. I really didn't have much comprehension of how sizes related to pounds.

After losing the first 5 lbs diet Doc asked if I had dropped a size. Wow, thought I, it only takes 5lbs???? For me it was actually 10 lbs before I was an 8. But all of a sudden I had a new image of me - and I kinda liked it .

In truth, I reached my goal of 30 lbs (140) which was a size 6 in 3.5 months. Lost a few more over the summer and pretty much held there for a half a year of so while I was making exactly the assessment you talk about. The kinds of thought exercises Cassie and others mentioned - am I comfortable at this weight? If not, why not? Am I trying to make up for something else? etc, etc, etc. Ultimately I decided why not? Let's get into the 120's and get body fat closer to 20%.

Now, I've always had a pretty compact little body, and I am quite active (did the screen name give it away?) but I have a feeling, my dear taubele, that size 8, 6 or even 4 is well within your grasp. But as we all know, it really isn't the number that is important, it is how you feel. So I love you plan to hit the goal, give yourself lots of kudos for your success, spend some time figureing out how to maintain in your new svelt body, and then see where you are mentally and physically.

I gotta a feeling, in a few months, you will be writing this post!
Oh man, I certainly hope so Pam

I'm quite discouraged at the moment because I've only been at this for about two months now, and I've hit this weird little plateau right above 200 lbs. that I can't seem to shake -- for almost three weeks now, the scale has been bouncing up and down, barely budging in the right direction. I keep telling myself I will get through it, but it seems like every week there's just a little thing to set me back I know I just have to power through. Maybe 200 lbs. is a mental as well as a physical barrier (or maybe even moreso!)

I really appreciate the encouragement, and I'm just looking forward towards the day when I finally blast through this first plateau. I'll figure myself out. Whatever size the final goal is, I know that I'll feel better than I have in my entire life, and that feeling is worth more than gold. We'll just see!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Guys,

I'm joining in too on this thread.

So tell me: is it a plateau if I've been here for like oh um 30 years on and off? I seem to keep juggling the same 10-20 pounds over and over depending on my mood and motivation.

The only times I stayed really thin were when I starved myself and/or worked out like a maniac. I can no longer do either!!!

Help!!! Help!!! Captain Kirk to the recuse?!?!!!???
Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Canary,
Welcome back, I hope you are OK. I was thinking about some of your posts the other day and realized that I had not seen you screen name in a while.
A plateau is a plateau no matter how long is last So you might as well come on up and enjoy the view.

taubele, I think the weather and season is wrecking havoc on many of us. Sometimes I think that is why New Years resolutions fail. Who can stay motivated when it is cold and dark out. It is just so.... uncomfortable. It just makes me want to hunker down indoors. (And I live in Southern Califorinia ) Now if we made Spring equinox resolutions, I think we all would be much more sucessful.

Come to think of it... I will try to remember to initiate a Spring Resolution Thread on March 20. But If I forget, I'd appreciate it if someone else started it.

Pam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.