Community
Notices

Motivational Thread starting 02/07

Old 02-10-2011, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

Yunalee, congrats on the 18+ lbs. lost!

Snapshots and Yunalee, using the nutrition tracker and weight goal functions on Fitday (or your own preferred program) will help you determine a calorie limit and calorie deficit you need to reach your weight and nutrition goals. Whatever food plan you're following, be sure to eat balanced meals that include all the food groups unless you have a medical condition where your doctor advises to the contrary. Posting your food, exercise, and water goals and reporting in daily may be a big help to you. Also, don't be afraid or embarrassed to take baby steps to work up to your goals. My walking stamina just plain sucked January 17 when I joined--it was under 5 minutes at 4MPH. January 24, it was 7 minutes. I decided to add just one minute per day 5 days a week and now I'm up to 19 minutes at 4 MPH aerobic/power walking per day. I started out with 40 oz. water per day and worked my way up to 64. I'm far from the best in this group, but I don't need to be. I just need to do my personal best, and that's what this group encourages me to do.

Mike, I supplement either 24 or 48g of my protein intake with Walker Diet protein shake mix that I can find only at vitacost.com. Each serving contains 180 calories, 6g fat, only ONE net carb (7g carbs less 6g fiber) and 24g protein, so my doc approves of it since it fits nicely into my low carb diet for managing my blood sugar. I don't use it as a meal replacement--I have a high protein breakfast that includes meat and/or eggs and cheese and a shake, and then another shake, if I'm not too full, as dessert or a snack later in the day. Also, I'm now eating a 200 calorie snack of protein and at least two other food groups two hours before my main meal, and then protein before bed.

Caroline, good marriages usually DO take a lot of work, but many people don't want to put the work into it. Congrats on both you and your husband on that.

Michelle, good job on not weighing every day. Congrats on your loss, too. I, too, giggled at the kids not being very good at it. Glad it was only shoving.

Quinn, I commend you on some old goals and some new ones. Keeping current with our needs is essential. Way to go!

My Wednesday achievements: Not making excuses, but I didn't have access to my nutrition tracker until right before dinner. Not too bad under the circumstances and I still had a 723 calorie deficit from just lifestyle and exercise.

Food:
Calories limit 1600, actual 1876
Carbs less fiber limit 25g, actual 27
Protein target 100-120g, actual 126

Exercise goal of 18 minutes aerobic walking achieved

Water goal of 64 ounces achieved

Last edited by Mern; 02-10-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
...Caroline, good marriages usually DO take a lot of work, but many people don't want to put the work into it. Congrats on both you and your husband on that. ...
I couldn't agree with you more! I will admit I wanted to quit a few times, but I am so glad I didn't. I have some very close friends who have been through the same thing and I always try and tell them my story so they know that sometimes there is a happy ending to it all. Marriage is work, and even though things have been great and are great, it doesn't mean that it still isn't work. I think what really saved our marriage was incorporating one date night a week that we both look forward to. We don't have four kids by doin' nothin' ya know what I mean??
Old 02-10-2011, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

WHY MEEEE? I have a blister that's the size of Texas on the inside of my heel (really tender part). This should make for a fun 1/2 marathon if it doesn't heal.

I glad I got to help some of you laugh!

Well the Apple Cobbler is finally gone and out the house.

My niece was talking about bringing store bought cookies to school for her Valentine's party. Uncle Mike decided that store bought cookies are not the way to go, so we are making Apple Cobbler today. This way I can have the joy of making it but will not be able to eat it.

Health & Fitness Related:
1) (Sunday) 1/2 Marathon in 2h 38m or faster
2) Gallon of water per day. yes 135.2oz.,yes 135.2oz,101.4oz.
3) 200 pushups 0,75,0
4) 50 pullups 0,20,0
5) 50 chinups 0,20,0

Other Goals:
1) Make a YouTube Video (put some effort in to this)... this may not be until next week, b/c I'll want to update on the race. not yet, nope, no
2) Make a big, nasty pan of lasagna for my SIL (day before the race carb load). BTW Big & Nasty is a good thing.

The impossible:
1) Don't weight myself until Friday so far so good, nope, no

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 02-10-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

I'm really busy but I wanted to post real quick:

Goals:
1. 1800-2000 cals a day no, yes, no 2100
2. exercise 5 times this week no, yes, yes
3. try to take a half hour nap if I can yes, no, no
4. drink 96 oz water yes, yes, yes
5. NO Cookies!!! yes, no, yes

Personal:
1. Start each day with a To Do list yes, yes, no
2. Get taxes done no, no, no
3. Get decorations planned for blue and gold ceremony no, no, did a bit
4. Finish hats for brothers no, no, no
5. Be patient with my girls yes, yes, yes
Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Thumbs Up For Date Night!

Caroline,

I couldn't agree with you more about date night! Anyone who has read my posts for the last year, knows that I'm a huge fan of this. My husband and I have set aside Friday as date night for over 20 years. Can I throw in my 2 cents worth as one of the "old ladies" on here?

I can't say that my husband and I have ever gone through a "rough patch". In fact, people that know us well would tell you that we never even fight. When people comment on our marriage or ask how we do it, we always tell them the same thing:

Never say anything negative about your spouse to anyone. You should be each others biggest, most vocal cheerleaders.

Always present a united parenting front to your children. If you disagree about something, talk it over in private, then stand united.

Be kind, respectful, courteous and polite to each other always! Even if you want to say something hurtful, don't.

Set aside a date night that is non-negotiable! If daughter wants to have a sleep over that night, tough. If son wants to have the guys over for pizza, tough. This is your night. Dress as you would when you were dating... both of you.

And, I know it's cliché, but be each others best friend always. Don't put girlfriends (or for him, buddies) ahead of your spouse... ever. This one is really easy for us because we were best friends for many, many years before it ever occurred to us to ever date. When we were single and just friends, we would call each other after dates with other people and say how awful it was... in detail. Believe me... I heard some stories... but we don't have any secrets, that's for sure. I told him everything and he told me everything. We whined to one another for years that there were no good people left out there to date. Sometimes exactly what you're looking for is right under your nose.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

Weight Goals This Week:

~ stick to my food plan, Tuesday 100%, Wednesday 95%
~ get my walking in, Tues yes, Wed yes
~ get my weight training in Tues yes, Wed yes, Thus yes
~ to change activity instead of emotionally eating journal, read, have a bath, knit whatever: Tues yes, Wed yes
~ to journal my food, mood, & get support here DAILY to 'stay' & get the support i need. Wed yes
Personal Goals:

~ not to beat myself up for letting some weight creep back on. give myself credit for catching before it got to out of control: ~ working on this one being real with people that i work with that i need to watch what i'm eating.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

Hey guys just popping in quick because I have some errands to get done before I head to work! Here's how I did Wednesday

1. Eat between 1300 and 1400 per day and NOT go over. 1. YES! Yay!/ 2. Yep =) 2 days in a row!/3. Yep, nelow 1400
2. Drink my 96 oz of Water per day. 1. Yep and then some./ 2. I always drink more and thats good/ 3. Yes
3. Get out the dumbbells and use them at least once a day if not more. 1/ Yea, a few minutes before work./2. No =(/ 3. Nope.
4. Go Shopping this week and get HEALTHY low-cal foods. 1. Not Yet but no money yet./ 2. This is a Thursday or Friday goal/3. Tonight at MIDNIGHT! Or so

Okay talk to you all later!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

wow so much to catch up on. glad this is such a busy thread.

Michelle ~ i agree violence is not the answer, but it is a good thing he got into it with the bully in the end it will help both of them. my son had a problem with a bully an older bully & between me talking to the bully & my son's personality they are now friendly to each other so it can work out. congrats on not turning to the wagon wheels.

Rose ~ hmmm burn 30% more calories when it's cold GREAT now i'll be wanting more cold weather...lol.

Cassie ~ i have lots of fun bellydancing. gets me interacting in my small town with people i don't work with so that is good.

mhibdon ~ emotionally eating is a hard habit to break. i think it's like being a alcoholic ...lol...as i'm an emotional eater. i can go through long periods of time that i can control it, BUT it's always there in the back ground saying 'feed me' during stressful times. i wonder if that urge will ever go away.

muna ~ what a beautiful way to look at losing a loved one

almkeeper ~ bellydancing is AWESOME & you should try it. many dancers never perform. i there are a number of very over weight women that dance here & they are AMAZING. because they are fuller figured the moves look so much fuller & almost seem to flow better. their hip work ALWAYS makes me gasp in awe.

yunalee ~ woo hoo on getting your workout done.

mike ~ as far as that blister goes have you popped it? i've done the weekend to end breast cancer walk 60 km twice & both time got blisters & i find popping them helps. i would pop it let it drain, put antibiotic cream on it & then the day of the race don't use bandage on the blister but use mole skin. mole skin doesn't rub as much.

quinn ~ i love your tips on how you have kept your marriage strong.

well looks like i may have a chance at a part time job co-ordinate bingos for the local boys & girls club. it would pay $100 per bingo so that works out to be an extra $1,800 a year. i also got an email from my dance teacher that she's doing a show with bollywood dancing. so i told her i'd dance in that if she needs me. i did a bollywood class over the summer talk about a workout that is fun dancing. i now need to find a costume....lol...or at least an indian tunic that i can wear over my yoga pants value village here i come.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Caroline,

I couldn't agree with you more about date night! Anyone who has read my posts for the last year, knows that I'm a huge fan of this. My husband and I have set aside Friday as date night for over 20 years. Can I throw in my 2 cents worth as one of the "old ladies" on here?

I can't say that my husband and I have ever gone through a "rough patch". In fact, people that know us well would tell you that we never even fight. When people comment on our marriage or ask how we do it, we always tell them the same thing:

Never say anything negative about your spouse to anyone. You should be each others biggest, most vocal cheerleaders.

Always present a united parenting front to your children. If you disagree about something, talk it over in private, then stand united.

Be kind, respectful, courteous and polite to each other always! Even if you want to say something hurtful, don't.

Set aside a date night that is non-negotiable! If daughter wants to have a sleep over that night, tough. If son wants to have the guys over for pizza, tough. This is your night. Dress as you would when you were dating... both of you.

And, I know it's cliché, but be each others best friend always. Don't put girlfriends (or for him, buddies) ahead of your spouse... ever. This one is really easy for us because we were best friends for many, many years before it ever occurred to us to ever date. When we were single and just friends, we would call each other after dates with other people and say how awful it was... in detail. Believe me... I heard some stories... but we don't have any secrets, that's for sure. I told him everything and he told me everything. We whined to one another for years that there were no good people left out there to date. Sometimes exactly what you're looking for is right under your nose.
DH and I do not have pre-scheduled "date night", but we do manage to have dinner out, minus children a couple of times a month. I like your list quin and I'm going to add a few more:

Never never never turn your partner down, even if you're not in the mood. For the most part you can get in the mood a whole lot easier than your partner can take rejection. In our house we made a pact years ago to never say "not tonight dear, I have a headache".

Accept the things that your spouse enjoys and take enjoyment from their happiness. My DH is a HUGE sports nut, I don't mind watching a game now and then, but I'm not one to know the schedules or follow a team for the whole season. But I like to see him totally into a game and when it's a big deal (Stanley Cup, World Series etc etc), I try to get the kids involved or I make sure they aren't running through the house in front of the TV. That's his down time and so I protect it even though I'm not as in to it as he is. Hubby on the other hand has to deal with my singing in the choir and the craft projects all over the house. He never complains even though I'm sure some of it must make him nuts.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by staceyalberta
mike ~ as far as that blister goes have you popped it? i've done the weekend to end breast cancer walk 60 km twice & both time got blisters & i find popping them helps. i would pop it let it drain, put antibiotic cream on it & then the day of the race don't use bandage on the blister but use mole skin. mole skin doesn't rub as much.
yes, I've already popped it and cut the skin back. I've heard great things about mole skin, thanks. I'll have to check it out. Do you know if Body Glide will help or hurt it?

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 02-10-2011 at 05:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.