Community
Notices

Motivational Thread starting 02/07

Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Mike: I'm a pre-med student and my first reaction was still "Oh sweet jesus!" Don't worry, you're not being a pansy, I've seen full grown men cry over splinters before!

Congrats on your race time!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
How do I do it? Um, I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but I'm not doing it very well lately, I've blown my calorie budget out of the water more often than not. And yes, I do have to bake or make something all the time, but I think that comes with motherhood. There are plenty of moms that handle "treats" and "dishes to pass" etc etc with their wallet at the store, but I usually can make it much cheaper at home and it tastes better. I also like to get the kids involved, so all three of them are learning to cook. A little "bonding with mom" in the kitchen is actually a really good way to work on reading and math skills and make it fun at the same time.

Great job on meeting your goals this week, you're a real inspiration for those of us bring up the rear.
That is so great, Almeeker. You are such a good mom! And at this stage, you can afford to blow your calorie budget once in a while.

And... it's a LOT easier to meet my goals when I only have a few... you have so many! It's just great to meet any goals every week... and talk about inspiration, you are it for so many of us!

Last edited by mtlgirl; 02-13-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I don't think that I can milk this for the next couple days. Maybe if I call it a war wound instead of a blister??
I apologize If I grossed anyone out.
Holy Moly! That is one serious blister, my friend. I unfortunately know that pain all to well... and speaking of getting grossed out. In 2007 I walked 60K (38 miles) in the Weekend To End Breast Cancer. It was split over two days and on Day 2 it rained on and off all day. The humidity gave me blisers... under my toenails!!! That's right under the nail! I LOST 2 toenails as a result. Yikes, it still makes me cringe when I think back on it.

So Mike, take good care of that blister. They're small wounds but damn they sting. I think you should try to milk it for all its worth. I feel for you, Buddy.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
That is so great, Almeeker. You are such a good mom! And at this stage, you can afford to blow your calorie budget once in a while.

And... it's a LOT easier to meet my goals when I only have a few... you have so many! It's just great to meet any goals every week... and talk about inspiration, you are it for so many of us!
Once in a while, yes. Everyday? Not so good. I'm hoping that once I get the chocolate stuff cleaned out and packed up, I'll be able to get back down to my calorie budget. I need to find some afternoon munchies that work with my budget and go veggy at lunch for a while. Maybe I can get that scale to move before I have to play Easter Bunny?

BTW thanks for the compliments. I'm not always sure I'm doing the best possible job as a mom, it's difficult to gauge. All I know is that I'm trying to do it like my mom did and there are days I feel like I'm falling short of her mark. Then again I'm pretty fortunate in the parents I have, so maybe not quite meeting their mark is still not too bad.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:07 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
Holy Moly! That is one serious blister, my friend. I unfortunately know that pain all to well... and speaking of getting grossed out. In 2007 I walked 60K (38 miles) in the Weekend To End Breast Cancer. It was split over two days and on Day 2 it rained on and off all day. The humidity gave me blisers... under my toenails!!! That's right under the nail! I LOST 2 toenails as a result. Yikes, it still makes me cringe when I think back on it.

So Mike, take good care of that blister. They're small wounds but damn they sting. I think you should try to milk it for all its worth. I feel for you, Buddy.
That is the scariest blister story I've ever heard. I didn't even know it was possible to get a blister under your toenails. Wow, that 10K is starting to look more and more impossible.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks again everyone.

Cassie, I don't know how I missed your big red letters. I guess I'm just out of it. Thanks.

Y'all have been motivation for me. We all have our own battles that we face and we don't always win them. There are times that we will fall short and today was that day for me, but I pick myself up, dust myself off and know that next Sept. when I do my next 1/2 marathon in Va Beach, I WILL GET MY 2:38!

I'm glad that I came close and set a PR, and there are so many people that don't even finish, so I am happy for that.

This is what I've learned:

1) I fell short b/c I wasn't ready and that's my fault. I didn't take the time to train like I should have, hell I barely walked since last Sept.

2) I need to figure out how to run. I know you probably don't hear that often from someone that just finished a 1/2 marathon, but seriously I don't know how to run. My pace is waaaay faster than my experience level and I wear myself out. This is why I can only run for a minute to minute and a half before I run out of gas and have to walk. Literally 2/3 of my time today was spent walking... and taking pictures . This all goes back to training.

3) Listen to your body. I was feeling fine until about mile 10, then my chest started hurting. It could have been b/c of my breathing but I know I have an issue with an elevated heart rate during exercise (I've gotten it to 236bpm before ), so I had that haunting me, telling me to slow down, take it easy. I recently wrote myself another life insurance policy and I wasn't ready to use it today. It's my understanding that someone died on the route, which usually happens. I told myself that I was not going to die doing a HALF marathon, Ironman... maybe. j/k

So as a negative, I wasn't prepared and when I set my goal at 2:38 I bit off more than I could chew.

As a positive, I never game up, I survived (finished), I had fun, I ran my fastest time ever and I was able to motivate those that motivate me. Does it get any better than that? No, not really.

Once again, thanks everyone.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 02-13-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, it's all live & learn. You got a lot out of that race in many ways.

Sooo...wrapping up the week:

1. Calorie deficit of 250-300, because I keep slipping and can't get back to my pre-holiday weight/body fat % Yes, Yes but barely, Yes, Yes, No, but I stayed at maintenance, Yes, Yes
2. Balance the pie chart, carbs no more than 45% Yes-45, Yes-45, Yes-43 (somehow, success on my meatless day this week), Yes-45, No-49, Yes-45, No-46, just missed!
3. Exercise 7X's (daily, or double up) Doubled up today (weights and intervals), Yes (3 mile run), Yes (hour of yoga), yes (cardio with weights for an hour), No (cashing in credit for Monday's double), Yes-4 mile run, Yes (doubled up, tennis w/hubby & weights)
4. Sleep at least seven hours a night. Fail, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
5. Get in three of my water bottles daily (I'm pretty regular about 2) Yes, Just finishing, No, Yes, Yes, Still working; 1/2 of one to go, Yes
6. Stay off the scale this week Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

7. One organizational office task per day (at least a small one) Not today-but I helped set up the Scholastic Book Fair at school, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No
8. Finish painting stair trim and spindles by end of weekend Spindles are done; trim & moulding Sunday, Yes! All 67 freaking spindles and the baseboards, trim, & moulding, thought it would never end!
9. Try a new healthy recipe or make over an old one Yes-chocolate cupcakes; they came out great and only 139 calories! Again-pancakes w/wheat flour and oatmeal this morning, and banana honey muffins this morning
10. Complete the family financial summit with hubby We made progress; will finish next weekend when doing the taxes

I feel like I stayed on track pretty well today (finally, a good weekend day). I screwed the pooch making the new recipes at breakfast, though; I can't make something and not try it, so a muffin and a pancake got me off to a carby start in the AM. Concert was great; my son was principle trumpet, so that was very cool, and we did celebrate with fro yo after and it was wonderful.

I hope you all had some successes today also. As Mike said, you all are very motivating and I think about coming here and having to post my transgressions and it does make me think twice!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 AM
FitDay Member

Sunday Report Card

Health and fitness goals:

1. Keep calories to 1,500 weekdays and 2,000 weekends. NO 2,123, NO 2,069, NO 2,291, NO 1,972 YES, 1,935, YES 1,787, YES 1,677 v-good for a Sunday
2. Workout 6 hours. YES 90 min, YES 36 min, YES 1:08, YES 52 min, YES 35 min, YES 62 min (Total 5:42) Fell 18 minutes short, oh well.
3. Drink 96oz water. YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES
4. Calorie deficit 3,500 for the week (average 500/day). -399, -317, -404, -410, -420, -461, -334 (total 2,825)
5. Limit grain based carbs to 2 servings/day or less. NO 5, YES 2, YES 2, YES 2, NO 3NO 3, YES 2
6. Eat 5 servings of fruits & veggies/day. NO 4, YES 6, YES 6, YES 8, YES 5, YES 5, YES 5
7. Take measurements! YES

Non-fitness goals:

8. Make treats for Valentines party and bake sale. YES, YES, YES, YES
9. Average 6 items/day from the "LIST". NO, YES 6, NO, NO 2, NO, NO, NO (Daily ave 8/7= Way behind)
10. Clean out one small area of the basement. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, YES
11. Clean out car. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO
12. Get DH and DD's Valentines. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO
13. Get 2 pieces of DD's bloomer dress finished!!! NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO but bonnet is coming along
14. Call Grandma. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO
15. Register for race and call SIL about same. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

This week was not the success that it could have been, nor was it the failure it had all the potential of being. So I give myself a C+, cause that's what you get when you don't work very hard at it, but have some skill when it comes to guessing - right?