Notices

Need some support!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Need some support!

Hi ladies,
I have been actively trying to drop some weight since December and have lost about 8 lbs so far, from 160 to 152 (yay!). I have been at 152 now for the past week and a half, which is kind of frustrating! I have been logging my calories at about 1300-1400 a day, working out almost every day (Zumba and Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred). Does anyone have any encouraging words? I'm trying to get to 140 by the time I graduate with my Master's, May 14. Being impatient and losing weight do not go well together!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
FitDay Member

Congrats on losing 8 pounds so far! =) I have yet to lose a single pound or even have the scale fluctuate for me but I have had some off days myself. Just keep working at it! You have plenty of time to reach your goal! Don't get discouraged because everyone has a plateau here and there.

Sorry I don't know much more to encourage you seeing as we seem to be in the same boat! But stick in there and keep doing what you're doing! It will show in no time =)
Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Jeannette, I second the advice above, and also agree that impatience cannot be part of this equation...it will derail you! Weight loss that is about 1-2 pounds per week is recommended as most safe and successful, so it sounds like you are right about there. Patience, Grasshopper

Your calories and exercise sound good. How is your carbs-protein-fat pie chart looking? Some find that if they up the protein, it helps things move past a plateau.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

must be that number...

I hit 152 and stayed there for a long time. Just keep making healthy choices and moving - the scale WILL move again. Remind yourself that you'll NEVER see 152 again! It happened to me in July, and I've been safely in the 130's for months now.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:47 AM
FitDay Member

Your excercise is great! You are probably experiencing the change of some of your fat to muscle. Muscle is denser and therefore weighs more than fat. Keep up what you are doing and you will see a drop at some point. It is not at all unusual to plateau and then see a sudden drop!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all of the great advice guys! My carbs are usually at 60%, which I'm sure is high but I have no idea how to eat less carbs! I'm allergic to eggs so that is out. I need to brainstorm ways to get more protein in my diet.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Jeannette, do a search for protein in the forums; there have been a number of threads, though not recent, that have had ways to eat more protein. If you can't find any, let us know.

Sadly, I have to disagree with the fact that your weight staying the same is the result of gaining muscle. Fat does not turn to muscle; this is a myth...losing fat and building muscle are 2 completely different processes. I've read that if you are dedicated to putting on muscle (i.e., making a conscious effort to do heavy weight training, eating a ton of protein, and doing everything toward the goal of building muscle), the most you will probably gain, as a female, would be 2-3 pounds over about three months. I don't think that's the case here. However, your muscles may, shortly after a workout, be retaining some water and other things as they go through the healing process, which may account for some of it.

No, I think what you have is a good old-fashioned plateau, and we all hit 'em. The previous poster is right in that you will probably see a drop soon.

The right protein-carb-fat ratio varies for everyone. 60% is not horrible, but that depends on your body. It's worth experimenting tweaking it to see if more protein and fewer carbs would be helpful. And don't forget your healthy fats...so many folks shy away from fat (me included, previously), when it's really necessary for body functions and even weight loss.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

I was stalled out too, and only just started losing again. I think the thing that really made a difference for me was varying my calorie intake. Instead of shooting for the same number every day, I'm experimenting with some lower cal days, and one day per week of upping the calories. It is hard to really get my head around increasing calories when I want to lose, but it seems to be shaking up my metabolism a bit.

As for protein, do you tolerate dairy okay? Part skim string cheese is a great protein snack.

I also have an oatmeal protein pancake that sounds weird, but is really good. I don't like cottage cheese at all, but it gives these pancakes the perfect texture.

6 TBSP Old fashioned oatmeal
1 TBSP Whey protein powder in flavor of your choice

blend the two together to get a fine flour. I use an immersion blender and it is very effective.

Next add:
1/4 egg beaters or 1 egg
1/4 small curd, fat free cottage cheese
1 tsp Walnut oil (totally optional, but I like to add some healthy fat. You could add chopped nuts if that's your preference or skip the fat)
1/4 tsp vanilla

Stir it up, and add water to thin it down to a barely pourable consistency. Cook on a hot griddle pan until golden brown on both sides.

I top my pancakes with a cup of frozen berries microwaved for 2-3 minutes til nice and syrupy. Protein at breakfast has been my challenge. I don't mind eggs, but I don't like them without toast, and I've been trying to cut back on bread.

Good luck to you, and keep the faith. The plateau will not last forever.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Kay, that is a very good point I had forgotten. I did do calorie cycling to break plateaus.

I used this site:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

Put in the info and click on 7 day calorie cycle.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Great advise Kay and Cassie.
Kay, your pancake recipe sounds wonderful!

Dancer, so many snack foods do seem to be carb-loaded, but if you are a little creative you can find protein snacks that will really take the edge off hunger and keep it off.

I am afraid that I have gotten to be quite a jerky-junky. An oz has 80 calories, 13g protein, 0.5g fat and 5g carbs. I've also gotten quite fond of the soup-in-hand products. They are 70 to 120 cals, easy to keep in a drawer at work, and very satisfying as an afternoon snack. They do tend to be a little salty and contain some unpronounceble stuff, which turns some folks off. But once or twice a week I'm OK with it.

I also rely on protein drinks and shakes from time-to-time (muscle milk lite has 100 cals). Again they can be loaded with lots of stuff that can only be loosely called "food". But in moderation they have a place. Especially when meal times get out of wack and its either that or a fast food burger.

As Cassie suggested, look through past threads, there have been lots of good ideas.

Pam

Last edited by RunbikeSki; 02-02-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: addition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.