October Ovations: 100+ Ladies Club

Old 10-25-2010, 04:37 PM
  #191  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by Susan8Less View Post
Hi Ladies,

I haven't been on this forum for a while. I was down 25lbs but I've recently gained a couple of pounds back. I'm struggling, especially in the evenings, to keep within my calorie budget. I am starting again today to track everything so that I can attempt to get back on track. I was feeling great for a while. I went from a size 20 pant to 18. What a great feeling! I hate that after victory I still lose control and struggle so much to keep going. Will this ever become second nature? Why do we have to go through these ups and downs?
I am in the same boat. I went to a deitician and had great success and now I need to buy smaller clothes but yet I feel I am losing control right now and dont want to stick to my eatting plan. Not sure why but it is really frustrating. I even bought candies "for halloween" but I ate all the good ones lol. I wonder why it is that we are doing this to ourselves.
christineval is offline  
Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM
  #192  
FitDay Member
 
lchamberla@yahoo.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 77
Default

Originally Posted by nru1286 View Post
How do you ladies respond to cake being served? What's your tactic?
I eat a piece! lol

I do not eat any of the other stuff, stick to veggies, etc. but when it comes time for the cake I go ahead and have a small piece. I just have to make sure that there is none of it at home with me.. that I am not sure I could handle.
lchamberla@yahoo.com is offline  
Old 10-25-2010, 05:31 PM
  #193  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Default

I'm new to this thread but it was recommended that I join in the fun since I'm working on losing about 100 lbs as well

I haven't changed on teh scale yet this week, but I made some changes to my diet after talking to dear Mom I am increasing my water intake and moving to decaf tea. I have never been a big coffee drink but I love tea. I should have been European like my grandparents. LOL.

Has anyone else had caffeine shoot them in the foot? I also bought a piece of exercise equipment to work on my rather unattractive thighs I hike daily for about 1.5 + miles. I love nature and am trying to go back to some of my roots before I gained my weight.

Gmantych: I love veggies and spaghetti squash so wonderful! I prepare mine by stabbing it a few time with a fork or knife (yeah, its not easy) and putting it in the oven for about 45 minutes on about 350 degrees. Once its done, I scrape out the spaghetti part and serve it with margarine or light butter, along with a bit of low fat parm cheese.

Current weight as of 10/25/10: 230
Height: 5'2
Weight Goal by 12/31 : 210
Overall Weight Goal: 130 - 140
Lenoriarose is offline  
Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM
  #194  
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

Originally Posted by nru1286 View Post
How do you ladies respond to cake being served? What's your tactic?
I have a weird approach to cake, but for the moment it's working. The last time I went to a b-day party, my SIL was dishing out HUGE pieces of cake, seriously like 4"x4" and then some, plus big huge scoops of ice cream. So when it came time for a plate to be passed to me I said that one of our DD's was not going to finish hers, so she and I could just share the one piece. She's 4, so I made sure she'd only gotten a small piece, about 1/2 the size of the others. And true to my prediction, she ate 1/2, and walked away from it. Another thing I've done is take a piece, cut it in 1/2 and put the other half either back in the pan or on another plate for some one else. I also have been known to scrape the frosting off, which can save you as much as 300 calories.

Originally Posted by sstenner View Post
Mom has some eating issues (she forgets that she has just eaten and would eat 4 or 5 helpings of everything if I didn't stop her) so we have started filling plates at the counter and not bringing the rest of the food to the table. It does help keep me from taking "just one more spoonful."
I think I have that same issue as your mother... I really like the idea of fixing the plate up and not putting the pan right on the table.

Originally Posted by gmantych View Post
I bought my first spagetti squash this weekend. I havent cooked it yet. For those of you that eat this, what is the best way to prepare it? Do you just use it with traditional spagetti sauce or do you eat it with something else? I plan to cook it this week. I would love it if I could get my kids to try it as well. DH has already said no way.
I really like spaghetti squash, all on it's own it's very sweet with a mild flavor. When I make it to eat like pasta, I just use regular pasta sauce and a light sprinkle of parm on top. The only thing it's missing is half the carbs. Don't get me wrong it still contains carbs, but you can eat 2-3x the amount for the same calories as a serving of pasta. I've discovered that when I use the squash I can eat pasta sauce without getting heartburn. When I eat tomato sauce with traditional pasta, I have terrible heartburn.
almeeker is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 06:53 AM
  #195  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 53
Default

Originally Posted by christineval View Post
I am in the same boat. I went to a deitician and had great success and now I need to buy smaller clothes but yet I feel I am losing control right now and dont want to stick to my eatting plan. Not sure why but it is really frustrating. I even bought candies "for halloween" but I ate all the good ones lol. I wonder why it is that we are doing this to ourselves.
Hi Christineval,

It's that "losing control" that infuriates me! How can food have this much power over us?! UUURRRGGGHHHH!!

I've been counting everything for 2 days now. Yesterday I was about 1600 calories and today around 2000 which is too much.. but at least I somehow stopped there. I think the counting is really important when I'm having trouble with losing control.

Someone here once said that they say to themselves, "food will not control me"!! That was working for me for a while. Maybe I need a new line to tell myself at the moment of temptation??
Susan8Less is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 AM
  #196  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by Susan8Less View Post
Hi Christineval,

It's that "losing control" that infuriates me! How can food have this much power over us?! UUURRRGGGHHHH!!

I've been counting everything for 2 days now. Yesterday I was about 1600 calories and today around 2000 which is too much.. but at least I somehow stopped there. I think the counting is really important when I'm having trouble with losing control.

Someone here once said that they say to themselves, "food will not control me"!! That was working for me for a while. Maybe I need a new line to tell myself at the moment of temptation??
There are times when I am eatting the bad stuff and think I really dont need this but it is like it is my eveil twin who is feeding me because I end up thinking I know but it tastes so good. Or if I fall off the wagon I say oh well I will get back on tomorrow and then I eat like a pig that same day lol
christineval is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 11:57 AM
  #197  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by almeeker View Post
I have a weird approach to cake, but for the moment it's working. The last time I went to a b-day party, my SIL was dishing out HUGE pieces of cake, seriously like 4"x4" and then some, plus big huge scoops of ice cream. So when it came time for a plate to be passed to me I said that one of our DD's was not going to finish hers, so she and I could just share the one piece. She's 4, so I made sure she'd only gotten a small piece, about 1/2 the size of the others. And true to my prediction, she ate 1/2, and walked away from it. Another thing I've done is take a piece, cut it in 1/2 and put the other half either back in the pan or on another plate for some one else. I also have been known to scrape the frosting off, which can save you as much as 300 calories.



I think I have that same issue as your mother... I really like the idea of fixing the plate up and not putting the pan right on the table.



I really like spaghetti squash, all on it's own it's very sweet with a mild flavor. When I make it to eat like pasta, I just use regular pasta sauce and a light sprinkle of parm on top. The only thing it's missing is half the carbs. Don't get me wrong it still contains carbs, but you can eat 2-3x the amount for the same calories as a serving of pasta. I've discovered that when I use the squash I can eat pasta sauce without getting heartburn. When I eat tomato sauce with traditional pasta, I have terrible heartburn.
I really want to be like you! I have the same amount of weight to lose. I started at 253 and I want to get to 150 but 140 would be great lol. I am so jealous of your determination. I am working out 5 days a week, 45 mins classes at the gym and for some reason right now I am gaining weight again. I had lost 23 pounds but now I have gained 6 pounds back. I think I really can not eat any chocolate. It seems as soon as I do I gain a lot of weight. Keep up the great work. I am sure you look amazing!
christineval is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 PM
  #198  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by almeeker View Post
Truthfully this does not seem strange to me. When I had lost about 40-50 pounds I was doing exactly the same thing, only I was belly dancing in front of the bathroom mirror. When all of a sudden I was like "huh? what are those bumps?". So I went in for grab and feel test, duh, it was the bottom edge of my rib cage. LOL, how long had it been since I'd seen that? Decades. I swear I'm very blond sometimes.

BTW, I'm very proud of you too.
ýNot sure if this is to personal but do you have lots of extra skin left hangin? That worries me to but I would rather be thin and have it then Fat lol
christineval is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM
  #199  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by christineval View Post
I really want to be like you! I have the same amount of weight to lose. I started at 253 and I want to get to 150 but 140 would be great lol. I am so jealous of your determination. I am working out 5 days a week, 45 mins classes at the gym and for some reason right now I am gaining weight again. I had lost 23 pounds but now I have gained 6 pounds back. I think I really can not eat any chocolate. It seems as soon as I do I gain a lot of weight. Keep up the great work. I am sure you look amazing!
Also realize you might be building muscle with the amount of exercise you are doing. It can seem frustrating but that muscle is much better long term. You may want to consider also measuring yourself every other week. I have found that sometimes even if the scale doesn't go down, my actual fat percentage has.
Lenoriarose is offline  
Old 10-26-2010, 04:28 PM
  #200  
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

Originally Posted by christineval View Post
I really want to be like you! I have the same amount of weight to lose. I started at 253 and I want to get to 150 but 140 would be great lol. I am so jealous of your determination. I am working out 5 days a week, 45 mins classes at the gym and for some reason right now I am gaining weight again. I had lost 23 pounds but now I have gained 6 pounds back. I think I really can not eat any chocolate. It seems as soon as I do I gain a lot of weight. Keep up the great work. I am sure you look amazing!
How sweet are you? Thank you. No I don't look amazing, I look sort of average with a hint of that hard edge middle aged women get when they put up too much of a fight with Father Time (minus the fake tan color). LOL. I certainly look and feel better than I did. You can do this, you just have to keep your determination up and your commitment strong. It sounds like your workouts are pretty intense, have you done anything to increase the burn of your day outside of the gym? I walk the kids to school, walk to the store to get the paper, add ankle weights to housework etc etc. The less I weigh the harder I have to work to burn calories.

Originally Posted by christineval View Post
ýNot sure if this is to personal but do you have lots of extra skin left hangin? That worries me to but I would rather be thin and have it then Fat lol
No it's not too personal, this is after all the 100 pound club where we discuss almost everything... I do have some extra skin, and it was especially noticeable around the 50 pound mark, so I decided to bulk up the muscle in those areas. I've been working on the arms enough to add some bulk on the shoulders and back, which fixed quite a lot of the underarm flap. I've also been doing some work on the gluts to give me a little more fanny (who would have guessed I want some back?). Which also seems to be helping quite a lot. I think the stomach flap is here to stay, but I don't think it's from being overweight so much as being pregnant 3 times.
almeeker is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.